• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I saw a let's play where cainsaw guy spawned before cutscene and it looked like he killed him twice. But he was only talking anout the bonus gold after the cutscene.

God damn, the controls takes some getting used to. Got slaughtered on easy by the first mob of farmers in the village. Are you supposed to have enough ammo to kill them all? My ammunition is depleted after about seven of those guys, so knife melee is the way to go after that i guess?

I noticed the chainsaw sounds before I triggered the scene, which I don't remember happening before, but I could've just forgotten.

I saw a let's play where cainsaw guy spawned before cutscene and it looked like he killed him twice. But he was only talking anout the bonus gold after the cutscene.

A different chainsaw man spawns near the village exit to the farm. He disappears if you trigger the one in the shotgun house though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
God damn, the controls takes some getting used to. Got slaughtered on easy by the first mob of farmers in the village. Are you supposed to have enough ammo to kill them all? My ammunition is depleted after about seven of those guys, so knife melee is the way to go after that i guess?

You definitely don't have enough ammo to shoot everyone dead. Maybe on Easy you do, but certainly not on Normal or higher. You need to conserve and use melee/knifing from the very start.

Honey Bunny

Always go for the melee kills. Knee or headshots >run up to them >melee button prompt, if I'm remembering correctly.

Grief.exe

Man the slowdown is really ruining my enjoyment of this. It only happens at some times but its still completely jarring,t hat and the lip sync de-syncing, and the rifle reload being stuck at 30fps...its ridiculous. Ultimate edition my arse

Try turning off AA, others found this was causing issues.

Can confirm that the Broken Butterfly reload animation is at the same speed. So far it's just the Rifle that is slower and the only 3 I haven't tried yet are the Riot Gun, the Striker and the Killer 7. Judging by my diminished skills it might be a while yet before I get my mits on the Hand Cannon.

Edit: And speaking of slower animations, the lava effects in that one room stick out like a sore thumb. To be fair I'm perfectly fine with it but when your marketing materials are speaking like the implementation is "running at a smooth 60 frames per second" you're setting yourself up for some backlash. I get the feeling it would have been a massive undertaking to get everything perfect.

I wonder if they just missed setting the timings of certain animations due to oversight.
There must be hundreds in the game. I'll have to just buy the rifle and check out the reload.

Always go for the melee kills. Knee or headshots >run up to them >melee button prompt, if I'm remembering correctly.

I actually learned that technique from watching the 60 FPS videos Capcom put out.

Headshot, run up an hit E to kick, hold space and knife them until dead.

I just reached the castle and I am swimming in ammo lol.

There are narrow paths you can get them all into. A single shotgun blast will knock 6-7 of them over/back/down to the ground or even kill them outright if you headshot them. W/ the handgun always aim for the knees to get them to stumble and then kick them for the kill to conserve ammo.

Curufinwe

Go round to the right side of the house's second storey. No one can get behind you there, and you can jump down and run away if you somehow run out of ammo.

Any GB subscribers here should watch the RE4 coverage on last night's Unprofessional Friday show. It starts about 40 minutes in.

Brad doesn't kick down the ladder in the house and Dr Salvador ends up right behind him with his chainsaw.

The only slowdown I have been getting is coming out of saving or dealing with the merchant. When it slows down in these sections, it has to be hitting either single digits or in the teens.

I didn't go through and tweak anything so I am sure that there isn't an SLI profile for the game and playing at 1440p is probably not helping the issue (running dual 670's).

kick51

Banned

you don't have to kill them all. you just want to make a route to collect the items, then hole yourself up in a room where they have to funnel through a door way and make it so you're hitting chainsaw guy with the shotgun while simultaneously pushing back everyone with the spread. I like the house across from the chainsaw cutscene house

They might have added difficulty things to accommodate for Keyboard and Mouse controls, actually as that usually helps accuracy. As I will admit, I've played this game many times and several segments are far harder than I remember them ever being on Normal as well.

I like it too, and as I was just theorizing, maybe they added new difficulty spikes for those who played the game and replaying it and doing well, and to help make it harder for mouse controls and such.

Hmmmmmm... Is that why the area just after meeting the merchant for the first time had way more enemies than I remember. I thought they were spawning out of thin air.

Mike Golf

Headshot then kick.

Late in the game you can start going for kneecaps too.

You can go for knee caps right at the start of the game.Leon does a straight kick to knock them down at that point instead of his typical round house. Then there's the body slam, that's always great.

Grief.exe

You can go for knee caps right at the start of the game.Leon does a straight kick to knock them down at that point instead of his typical round house. Then there's the body slam, that's always great.

That head splat.

I think when I originally played the game on ps2, I rarely used the kick or knife to conserve ammo.

Now I'm restarting encounters trying to minimize the shots I take, its fun for me that way.

Hmmmmmm... Is that why the area just after meeting the merchant for the first time had way more enemies than I remember. I thought they were spawning out of thin air.

I'm not certain, but I think the Wii version added more enemies in places to counteract the increased accuracy afforded by the Wii remote. This port is based on the Xbox 360/PS3 version, which was based on the Wii version, so if my recollection is correct about added enemies over the Gamecube version, your mind may not be playing tricks.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That head splat.

I think when I originally played the game on ps2, I rarely used the kick or knife to conserve ammo.

Now I'm restarting encounters trying to minimize the shots I take, its fun for me that way.

I secretly suspect that anyone who doesn't like this game is playing it like a traditional shooter and just firing bullets into dudes until they die. I think that would be pretty unfun.

kick51

Banned
headshot/kneecaps > melee > knife them while they try to rise

not always useful for large groups, but if a small group is all bunched up, it'll still work

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That style of gameplay just sucks.

Fixed.

I know it shouldn't, but it really bothers me to see people play RE4/5/6 this way. Especially when they complain about ammo after.

headshot/kneecaps > melee > knife them while they try to rise

not always useful for large groups, but if a small group is all bunched up, it'll still work

It's pretty useful for all situations except long range fights. Those I-frames.

Dr Dogg

I've had some silly deaths. Like getting crushed by the
pillar trap
6 times on the trot because I
walked past the switch.
Thankfully that creepy Novistador area is done now and I got a Blue Eye without any hassle.

I wonder if they just missed setting the timings of certain animations due to oversight.
There must be hundreds in the game. I'll have to just buy the rifle and check out the reload.

I don't think it's an oversight but maybe (I'm not 100% sure mind) that the Rifle is only only reload animation that doesn't dynamically speed up when you upgrade it unlike the others. It does seam like it's keyframed to 30fps which is why there's big pauses and jerkiness of motion. Don't know, might have to pop on one of the other 5 RE4 releases I've got to check this out. All of the alpha effects so far I've seen that are animated also feel keyframed to 30fps (light shafts, flames, lava etc) where as environment or geometry based ones are at the game speed (curtains in the wind, breakables). Not that I'm too bothered as I'm really glad that a decent PC release is in my mits now as well as being able to downsample to the moon and back.

haikira

Also. Anyone had any luck getting SweetFX to work with the game? The game won't start for me, if I try to run it with SweetFX.

TentPole

Starting my playthrough today. Last time I played I did a no melee run and it was fantastic. This time I am going to do a run without picking up any ammo/items dropped from enemies at death. The lack of ammo will be great.

I love turning this game into true survival horror!

Dr Dogg

Who ever rated the OG Shotty over the Striker clearly didn't give it much of a look in. 2 Doctor Salvador's down in the blink of an eye and didn't even have to reload.

Starting my playthrough today. Last time I played I did a no melee run and it was fantastic. This time I am going to do a run without picking up any ammo/items dropped from enemies at death. The lack of ammo will be great.

I love turning this game into true survival horror!

I remember trying a No Merchant Run, so you can only use weapons procured from the environment (handgun, shotgun, broken butterfly), no upgrades with the smallest inventory space. I eventually caved and bought a larger case, but I never ended up finishing it anyway :p

Lulubop

Even though this one of my favorite all time games, I've only ever owned GC version, and only played it in during that first year it was released but man this shit really as good as I remember. I haven't been hooked on a game like this in awhile.

It's crazy how influential this game was looking back now.

TentPole

I remember trying a No Merchant Run, so you can only use weapons procured from the environment (handgun, shotgun, broken butterfly), no upgrades with the smallest inventory space. I eventually caved and bought a larger case, but I never ended up finishing it anyway :p

That sounds a little too hardcore. But maybe next time...

TheUsual

Gold Member
Set the game to 30fps mode and wait for a patch? I don't know, it doesn't sound like a ton of people are having slowdown problems, I haven't noticed any myself yet. I didn't run 8x AA though, 2x if fine for me, and gives me more leeway, as I'm sure 8x will drop under 60 sooner or later, while 2x has almost no performance hit in most games I play.

For some reason, turning off motion blur while leaving the game at fixed 60fps made the rifle reload fps drop seem way more tolerable.

Doing one of these runs on professional is one of the most fun and tense ways to play the game. I actually ran out of ammo during a run like this once and couldn't complete the game.

Might do this for my Professional run. It's either that or Knife Only again. I think I need more time to get used to this 60 FPS before I do a Knife Only run, though.

JRW

Agreed the controls are wacky in this game, I just couldn't get used to pressing RT to ready weapons, but the Type 2 preset is easier to deal with IMO which moves ready weapon to LT (using 360 controller).

oAkFbrM.jpg

Ah it's all coming back now. I still suck mind you.

I'm having way more problems with the dynamite dudes. I think I'm trying to hard to shoot it out of their hands :lol

scitek

Fuck. I'm getting a glitch that makes the game unplayable right before the
Krauser fight
, The screen goes black and flashes, making it impossible to see. Skip to 41:22 in this video to see (or not see) what I'm talking about: http://www.twitch.tv/itsdonallen/b/507395365

EDIT: Fixed it. No idea how. It wasn't the streaming software cuz it was doing it without it, too.

more like the industry ruined itself trying to cash in on this game's genius. Gears had the right idea, taking concepts as influence but also being its own thing...then from there, the shitshow started.

yeah, I get mad at people for blaming a great game for starting a bad trend. it'd be like blaming Scream for I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

ZeroCDR

Okay, so it seems my problem with the slowdown was coming from Edge Detect Filter AA. I switched to standard and now I'm running 1080p/8X AA/60 FPS, no slowdown yet.

HD 6970 for reference.

Dr Dogg

Salazar bested and 'Act 2' complete. Now on to Krauser and the Island, oh goodie! I'm sure JJ's and the Regenerators are going be as much 'fun' as they always were. Actually I can imagine 60fps Regenerators are going to be mental.

Grief.exe

Think someone will come up with a mod that replaces button prompts with Playstation buttons?

That's generally one of the earlier mods you see.

Developers should just start including the materials with the game, they already have the assets for the other versions. Just include it as a menu option.

I don't know if anyone else has done any analysis on the surround sound, but the game does seem to use my center channel for certain things like Leon's footsteps (which don't play in my FR or FL channels at all). Environmental sounds only play in FR and FL channels. Nothing I've heard plays in my side or rear channels.

Just an FYI for everyone. Shame this didn't get a proper surround mix, because that'd make a huge difference. I'm going to test if I get proper DPL2 if I feed stereo to my amp... and no. I don't. Atmospherics and music leak a little bit to the rear speakers but sound effects all remain at the front. Ho hum.

Top Bottom