• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

JRW

Okay, so it seems my problem with the slowdown was coming from Edge Detect Filter AA. I switched to standard and now I'm running 1080p/8X AA/60 FPS, no slowdown yet.

HD 6970 for reference.

Surprisingly I haven't experienced any fps drops yet, been pegged @ 60fps so far according to Fraps.

I'm only using the in-game settings and nothing external (default nvidia control panel settings)

1080p / In game 4X Anti-aliasing / Fixed 60 / High shadows / HD textures (of course).

Motion blur disabled only because an LCD monitor provides its own motion blur free of charge.

(EVGA GTX 480 SC / i7 920 @ 3.6ghz / 12GB / Win 7)

Curufinwe

more like the industry ruined itself trying to cash in on this game's genius. Gears had the right idea, taking concepts as influence but also being its own thing...then from there, the shitshow started.

Gears unfortunately also added in a bunch of awful shit like brain dead allies in single player who are basically the same color as enemies, huge gaps between checkpoints, no gun upgrades and an over abundance of one hit kill attacks for enemies.

scitek

So all this needs in my book is for the grain to be turned off and some of the animations to be fixed and it'll be good enough. Should let them know on the Steam forums.

Booooooo!!!

Just hit the windy / rainy / Stoke Wednesday night (ch 2) and I'm quite disappointed my computer is chugging and unable to handle the awesomeness of 60fps. The strange thing is even if I drop the resolution from 1080p down to 720p or mess around with the other settings it still chuggs at the same points by the ~same frame rate. Stupid computer.

Erebus

So tempted to buy this after seeing my Steam friends playing it right now. I must resist the urge and wait for a sale.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Heh. Donkey Kong Country Returns is exactly the same:

Weird! I remember Paper Mario TTYD does it too.

main_town_diorama_by_aloo81-d78hirx.png

Dr Dogg

Alright those freaking Regenerators look mental at 1440p (especially the red eyes) but it's jumping neck bite at 60fps is eerie. Can't wait to get out of these cramped corridors *shudders*.

Is it worth it to fully upgrade the starting handgun or should I go with Red9 ? I'm probably going to replay the game on Pro.

I'm not a fan of the starting Handgun until you can get it's exclusive (way higher crit chance). Red 9 or Blacktail are what I go for every time.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't get the Dualshock 4 controller working properly with RE4 (as an xinput device). No biggy though, the 360 controller itself works great.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GlazedCoatedBearClaw said:
Isamu, this Game was built for the gamecube have a look at the gamecubes controller and all will make sense. and resident evil 1,2,3, and x all had tank controls.

Controls like this on PC are absolutely unacceptable my friend. We should have proper mouse and keyboard controls LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING 3RD PERSON PC GAME EVER MADE.

It's getting really annoying that people dont understand the difference between mouse turning and tank controls

RE5 has tank controls too and it lets you turn left and right with the mouse, because its not a garbage port. tank controls have nothing to do with what inputs you do to accomplish the action. no one here is asking for strafing or moving while aiming, just a control scheme that makes sense on pc.

Risible

What's really weird is that I can clearly see into the water now. I was like holy shit, Del Lago is a salamander!?

aeolist

Banned
is anyone else seeing a contrast issue sometimes? in-engine cutscenes look OK but as soon as i get control and start playing the bright sections get totally blown out and i can't see any detail

epmode

GAF, I still love this game to death. I'm not even going to bother looking for an FOV mod since practically everything about RE4 seems perfectly balanced and constructed, even the massive blind spots when aiming at enemies.

is anyone else seeing a contrast issue sometimes? in-engine cutscenes look OK but as soon as i get control and start playing the bright sections get totally blown out and i can't see any detail

Disable post-processing?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Controls like this on PC are absolutely unacceptable my friend. We should have proper mouse and keyboard controls LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING 3RD PERSON PC GAME EVER MADE.

It's getting really annoying that people dont understand the difference between mouse turning and tank controls

RE5 has tank controls too and it lets you turn left and right with the mouse, because its not a garbage port. tank controls have nothing to do with what inputs you do to accomplish the action. no one here is asking for strafing or moving while aiming, just a control scheme that makes sense on pc.
RE5 on consoles had RE4 controls on scheme A and B. The default D scheme let you turn while using the camera, so of course the PC port had mouse turning.

Why doesn't RE4 add mouse turning? I guess the argument is the game wasn't designed to be played that way.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
RE5 on consoles had RE4 controls on scheme A and B. The default D scheme let you turn while using the camera, so of course the PC port had mouse turning.

Why doesn't RE4 add mouse turning? I guess the argument is the game wasn't designed to be played that way.

Just like the Wii version broke the game. Don't get me wrong it was fun as all hell with the pointer but it broke the difficulty completely IMO.

I honestly don't remember which section it was, but it was around or after the Salazar fight that I got a glimpse of what I think was white binary code for a split second. It was superimposed on the action (cutscene? I forget already), and it was faded/was low opacity and could only really be seen in the darker parts of the scene.

I was definitely seeing 1s and 0s and don't think my eyes were playing tricks on me. It was really odd.

Rich!

Hm. Is there any way you can end up missing the boss fight with Verdugo? I swear on the last time I played through the Wii version I never encountered it.

ArjanN

I honestly don't remember which section it was, but it was around or after the Salazar fight that I got a glimpse of what I think was white binary code for a split second. It was superimposed on the action (cutscene? I forget already), and it was faded/was low opacity and could only really be seen in the darker parts of the scene.

I was definitely seeing 1s and 0s and don't think my eyes were playing tricks on me. It was really odd.

640px-Matrix_Code.gif

Dr Dogg

Hm. Is there any way you can end up missing the boss fight with Verdugo? I swear on the last time I played through the Wii version I never encountered it.

You can't miss it but you can run away into the lift when it turns up but he's
attacks you several times through the roof and celling as you go to switch the power on and turns up when you press the switch
. But you got to run past
3 of the 4 canisters
anyway so he's always an easy take down (even more so with a launcher).

Grief.exe

Steam forums made their way here I guess.

Rich!

You can't miss it but you can run away into the lift when it turns up but he's
attacks you several times through the roof and celling as you go to switch the power on and turns up when you press the switch
. But you got to run past
3 of the 4 canisters
anyway so he's always an easy take down (even more so with a launcher).

Well yeah, but on my last playthrough I swear I didn't even do that. I fell down into the basement area and skipped past it.

I must have been imagining it.

yes to both
I listed three things, though \o/ The Walking Dead didn't launch for me once upon a time, and running it in compatibility mode did the trick.

Find the game's .exe and right-click -> properties -> compatibility tab -> check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then try Windows 98 / Me. If none of this works (and you try other compatibility modes), then I'm stumped.

Dr Dogg

Well yeah, but on my last playthrough I swear I didn't even do that. I fell down into the basement area and skipped past it.

I must have been imagining it.

Hahaha I don't now dude, despite playing through this countless times over the years a few things have got me wondering if that's how they were when I last played it, which was only about a year ago. The
guy jumping out of the burning cupboard
completely blindsided me and I've probably seen it 20+ times by now.

Grief.exe

Weird! I remember Paper Mario TTYD does it too.

When I was playing TYD with Dolphin wide screen hack, you could see the level loading on the edges that would generally be cut off.

Is there anyway to get it to load the entire thing like in your shot?

I'm curious how much better this version is compared to the other PC version of Resident Evil 4.

How much better is it?

Much better.

Optimized, better geometry/textures, solid controls, rebindable keys, real-time cutscenes, and more.

There are a few problems, but looks like they are working on a patch.

Guy.brush

You are right. It is a bit annoying. Not asking for strafing here either, just an official support for having Leon turn on L/R mouse axis. It's funny how he can turn like that when you aim, but can't do the same when you are not.

I found like a halfway solution though:

go to your input.ini

###KEYBOARD

KEY_FORWARD = W
KEY_BACK = S
KEY_RIGHT = D
KEY_LEFT = A

Change to:

KEY_FORWARD = W
KEY_BACK = S
KEY_RIGHT = MA_RIGHT
KEY_LEFT = MA_LEFT

That way he turns smoothly with mouse axis L/R input. Only problem is that you loose the free camera look on mouse. If anyone has an idea how to keep or activate that on a button it would be perfect.

Booooooo!!!

Just hit the windy / rainy / Stoke Wednesday night (ch 2) and I'm quite disappointed my computer is chugging and unable to handle the awesomeness of 60fps. The strange thing is even if I drop the resolution from 1080p down to 720p or mess around with the other settings it still chuggs at the same points by the ~same frame rate. Stupid computer.

I dont think its your PC, seriously mine is the same. 60 fps fine but then that section and boom, slideshow. I think its just some really shittily optimised areas that are killing it as people have complained about alot of the same areas (waterfall/cable cars), and changing/lowering settings doesnt affect it at all

scitek

I wish it was possible for them to add RE5'S M/KB controls with the cursor because I was able to mod it to work with the Wiimote pretty perfectly a couple years back.

60 fps mercenaries is the shiz btw.

I'm interested to see how RE4's mercs mode holds up as while the gunplay works incredibly for the campaign, RE6's mechanics really elevated the Mercs in that game to a new high for the series. Plus RE5 had some great maps.

wwm0nkey

So others who have my issue seem to also have Windows 8.1 and a Nvidia card as well as a monitor that goes over 60hz

Anyway I could just get a refund?

Apath

This game is as great as I remember it to be. I just rescued Ashley from the church, going with the Punisher, Shotgun, and Rifle.

Playing this on a Surface Pro makes things a little glitchy. Shadows flicker in and out, certain cutscenes (such as the intro cutscene) have sound syncing issues, and once my computer wanted to force RE4 to close due to memory issues. However running 720p @ locked 30FPS, no AA, and SD textures is a pretty solid experience, especially on the 10" screen where it's harder to see details anyway. There are a handful of sections that chugs the frame rate, most notably when having to block the river to get behind the waterfall and when zooming in with a rifle, but overall it has been very stable.

I assume downloading the latest Intel HD 4000 graphics drivers would make the game run smoother and possibly fix the glitches previously mentioned, but I've heard those drivers also hurt the battery life so I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah so...this is pissing me off

Was originally freezing in 1-3...now I'm freezing in 3-1 after taking care of the enemy locked in the cell.

Come on man...wtf

Izcarielo

Banned

I almost choke myself laughing with this

epmode

The big question: Shotgun, Riot Gun, or Striker?

And if Striker, do I bother upgrading the earlier shotguns beforehand?

Dresden

Striker is the best.

Don't bother upgrading the others if you're going to use the Striker. Just use them for crowd control/knockdown, not damage.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
When I was playing TYD with Dolphin wide screen hack, you could see the level loading on the edges that would generally be cut off.

Is there anyway to get it to load the entire thing like in your shot?

Much better.

Optimized, better geometry/textures, solid controls, rebindable keys, real-time cutscenes, and more.

There are a few problems, but looks like they are working on a patch.

Look at the door on the left building (the fact that it isn't there.)

It isn't working properly in my screenshot either!

epmode

riot gun, striker is total shit unless you're 2 inches away

and no. i just sold the shotgun when i ran out of space.

Striker is the best.

Don't bother upgrading the others if you're going to use the Striker. Just use them for crowd control/knockdown, not damage.

Conflicting information!

I think I'll go for Striker this time, just because I've never used it for real.

Conflicting information!

I think I'll go for Striker this time, just because I've never used it for real.
Striker is most economical, the 100 shell upgrade will give you a lot of ammo on its own while also helping you clear space in your inventory, and since reloading isn't much of a factor it lets you go to town when you need to use it. You have better distance options than shotguns, so Riot Gun is pretty pointless.

Bleh, just got Ashley out and already running out of space. Probably because of that TMP. Never really used it in any version, but after hearing the love it's getting in the thread I'll try it out more.

Striker. Can't beat that 100 ammo, and fast reloads.

Top Bottom