• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

So for those that have played it for a while, how're you finding the overall quality of the port thus far?

Other than some iffyness with the mouse aim, great ! Im playing with HD textures, and while its not a massive mind blowing difference, certain textures stand out as having improved a fair bit (mainly in the castle). Its really nice playing at 60 FPS, and having all the higher poly models from the Wii, including the audio and sexy water.

Worth every penny.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game is still so damn good. First time I've ever played it with this image quality and at 60fps. It's really quite glorious. Really, the only thing that hasn't aged that well is the control scheme, but I can get used to it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yes, its essentially a GUI for configuring the driver options for different games.

I think I might need to look into this. The NVidia control panel for laptops is screwed up. It only shows 3D settings and nothing more. This is a known bug and the only solution is driver rollbacks.

To kick doors, just press the "Open" button twice. Press it once and Leon will slowly open it. Tap it again and he'll kick it open.

Conezays

Just grabbed it for $16, not bad! Played the Wii Version, looking forward to playing this in HD and 60FPS. I feel like I might miss the wii controls, but meh, 360 pad is fine I suppose.

FLAguy954

Some more screens

I fully recommend turning off in-game AA. Not only is it causing people performance issues, it is actually very expensive from a performance perspective. I have forced MSAA through Nvidia Inspector.

Thanks for the tip. I was using ultra SMAA through RadeonPro and it couldn't do shit for the jaggies. It must be hard to power through the film grain for some decent AA :p.

scitek

I have The Last of Us sitting there from Gamefly waiting for me to start it, but I'm really thinking of firing up this again on Pro. WTFFFFF

Spoo

Love it, but the mouse speed thing really bothers me; it's so slow even on the highest setting. Any way found yet to speed it up to normal levels ?

Nope, that won't do it.

I just got past it on the first try after I changed the framerate to locked 30 fps.
This is a goddamn bug! I have no idea, probably the game requires you to mash twice as fast, but all the other QTEs seem fine. I suppose this QTE just doesn't work at 60fps.

Or did anyone here got past that aforementioned QTE with 60 fps enabled?

I had no issues with 60 fps and I have a sticky x button so I have to work extra hard.

Miguel81

I don't know if anyone else has done any analysis on the surround sound, but the game does seem to use my center channel for certain things like Leon's footsteps (which don't play in my FR or FL channels at all). Environmental sounds only play in FR and FL channels. Nothing I've heard plays in my side or rear channels.

Just an FYI for everyone. Shame this didn't get a proper surround mix, because that'd make a huge difference. I'm going to test if I get proper DPL2 if I feed stereo to my amp... and no. I don't. Atmospherics and music leak a little bit to the rear speakers but sound effects all remain at the front. Ho hum.

That's sad to hear. A lot of people seem to not care for surround sound, but I'm not one of them.

Edit: Is anyone using an AMD FX 8320 or 8350? How is the game performing?

Grief.exe

I think I might need to look into this. The NVidia control panel for laptops is screwed up. It only shows 3D settings and nothing more. This is a known bug and the only solution is driver rollbacks.

To kick doors, just press the "Open" button twice. Press it once and Leon will slowly open it. Tap it again and he'll kick it open.

Press the use button twice.

You mean open the door quicky? Double tap on X (360 controller) when you're opening it.

Thanks guys.

The sewer makes you chew through ammo, I just hit those insects with my shotgun, then pistol them while they are down.

Zeppeli

Banned
bio42014-03-0118-52-4bqudj.png

21:9 breaks the UI. ;_;

Rich!

21:9 breaks the UI. ;_;

The game's UI is rendered inside the world for 16:9 only, unfortunately. Nothing can be done about it.

The UI literally exists as an object inside the game constantly following Leon around. It may be moddable, I guess.

Zeppeli

Banned
The game's UI is rendered inside the world for 16:9 only, unfortunately. Nothing can be done about it.

The UI literally exists as an object inside the game constantly following Leon around. It may be moddable, I guess.

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping that since the vertical res was the same, it would stay where it was.

Neiteio

A question -- has anyone encountered a situation where the cutscene audio seems to be playing a second ahead of time? Like Leon's mouth is still flapping after his dialogue has stopped. It only happens in the cutscenes (the codec calls are fine). When I watched the cutscene where Del Lago eats the body, I heard him explode out of the water before he even breached the surface onscreen.

Other than that, and some shifting shadows in the opening cutscene (the one beneath the police car kept appearing and disappearing), this is excellent. I just reached one of my favorite spots.

54A5EB738DEB6D9CA228C7DFF2730C634D1E20AC

081CB77978983BDEA7AC294A7F1181533D7C4936

Unai

Love it, but the mouse speed thing really bothers me; it's so slow even on the highest setting. Any way found yet to speed it up to normal levels ?

That shit is negative mouse acceleration. If you move your mouse slow the aim will move a lot, and if you move your mouse fast the aim will move just a little bit.

The mouse acceleration option in the settings do nothing. Is the same thing whether it is on or off.

Edit: I`m using a gamepad now, because mouse acceleration is just horrible. It is unplayable for me with a mouse this way.

Icarus

So for those that have played it for a while, how're you finding the overall quality of the port thus far?

A few minor issues aside, the port work is exceptionally well done. Hats off to Qloc mostly. Really loving the new textures and the post processing effect options. It's amazing after this long, the game and a lot of the assets still stand up so well.

epmode

A question -- has anyone encountered a situation where the cutscene audio seems to be playing a second ahead of time? Like Leon's mouth is still flapping after his dialogue has stopped. It only happens in the cutscenes (the codec calls are fine). When I watched the cutscene where Del Lago eats the body, I heard him explode out of the water before he even breached the surface onscreen.

The game actually slows down if you go under 60 FPS. Since the cutscene audio plays at full speed regardless, you might run into that problem. Lower AA or something.

Rnr1224

gotten to salazar's castle and i am loving the game so far. leon's lines are pretty cheesy but im enjoying it overall. Im dying a lot but nothing that is overly frustrating.

Neiteio

The game actually slows down if you go under 60 FPS. Since the cutscene audio plays at full speed regardless, you might run into that problem. Lower AA or something.
Hmm, will do. It looked like 60 fps, or at least a good deal more fluid than the Wii version (although the sniper rifle reloading must be keyframed to 30 fps, because it looks slow).

Neiteio

Leon's cheesy dialogue allows this game to be incredibly dark and grisly without ever feeling emotionally exhausting. His comic book one-liners and B-movie humor balances out everything with a good dose of levity.

Part of my concern about The Evil Within is that it may be too serious.

epmode

Hmm, will do. It looked like 60 fps, or at least a good deal more fluid than the Wii version (although the sniper rifle reloading must be keyframed to 30 fps, because it looks slow).

If the audio was only a split second behind, the framerate only dropped for a split second so it was probably imperceptible. Lowering AA should prevent it from happening again.

Grief.exe

Other than that, and some shifting shadows in the opening cutscene (the one beneath the police car kept appearing and disappearing), this is excellent. I just reached one of my favorite spots.

Turn off in-game AA, seems to cause issues with slowdown.

Hypron

Leon's cheesy dialogue allows this game to be incredibly dark and grisly without ever feeling emotionally exhausting. His comic book one-liners and B-movie humor balances out everything with a good dose of levity.

Part of my concern about The Evil Within is that it may be too serious.

TEW aims to be a horror game though, so cheesy one liners probably wouldn't fit the tone.

Neiteio

Turn off in-game AA, seems to cause issues with slowdown.
But I like the smoothness. :-\

I'll probably do it at least for the Krauser knife fight, because that could be disorienting if the sound is out of sync with the QTE cutscene. (Although it doesn't appear to put me in danger -- when Del Lago sank, I heard Leon hacking away at the rope before I saw it, but I was still able to cut him free in time.)

TEW aims to be a horror game though, so cheesy one liners probably wouldn't fit the tone.
Ah, but the humor and horror of RE4 was what it made so intoxicating. Like a warm cozy book to cuddle up with at night. I have Amnesia: TDD if I want to be scared shitless. I count on Mikami to give me that mix of atmosphere, horror and humor.

Grief.exe

But I like the smoothness. :-

I'll probably do it at least for the Krauser knife fight, because that could be disorienting if the sound is out of sync with the QTE cutscene. (Although it doesn't appear to put me in danger -- when Del Lago sank, I heard Leon hacking away at the rope before I saw it, but I was still able to cut him free in time.)

Force through drivers or SweetFX, assuming the latter works.

Neiteio

Force through drivers or SweetFX, assuming the latter works.
You speak in riddles. I'm not very tech-savvy. :-\

I'm using a Republic of Gamers Asus laptop with a GeForce GTX560M(2GB) with 8GB RAM, i7, Windows 7... I'm not sure what specs are important to rattle off, but this is typically how I describe my computer.

It defaults to 1600x900, and seems to have everything on high -- fixed 60 fps, the MSAA, etc. Not sure what the "post" effects are, though.

Like I said, it runs smoothly during gameplay. It's just during cutscenes when the audio will outpace the video (Luis and Leon talking while tied up in the shed, etc). Doesn't happen during codecs, though.

Sectus

I've been working on a mod manager/trainer for RE games (more info here: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/507/fluffy-manager-5000-v1-55?page=1#scrollTo=5301) and I just started adding support for RE4.

You can download the latest experimental build here: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/modmanager.rar

There's some cheaty stuff you can do (change money count and toggle infinite ammo), but I'm gonna focus on adding stuff which is fun to mess around with, not for cheating. Right now you can make Leon fully invisible and change his speed (which can have some hilarious side effects. try reloading the bolt action sniper rifle). Read the thread I linked above to learn how to use the mod manager, although it should hopefully be straightforward.

Grief.exe

In Resident Evil: Revelations, are the same mechanics there? Where you can stun something with a headshot, then kick it?
I remember having to charge up melee in that game and it wasn't as fluid as RE4.

You speak in riddles. I'm not very tech-savvy. :-\

I'm using a Republic of Gamers Asus laptop with a GeForce GTX560M(2GB) with 8GB RAM, i7, Windows 7... I'm not sure what specs are important to rattle off, but this is typically how I describe my computer.

It defaults to 1600x900, and seems to have everything on high -- fixed 60 fps, the MSAA, etc. Not sure what the "post" effects are, though.

Like I said, it runs smoothly during gameplay. It's just during cutscenes when the audio will outpace the video (Luis and Leon talking while tied up in the shed, etc). Doesn't happen during codecs, though.

Download Nvidia Inspector http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html

Click the profile settings button. In the new window that pops up, click create new profile, name it Resident Evil 4. In the new profile, click the 'add application to current profile' button. Navigate to SteamApps > common > RE4 > bin32 add the bio4 exe.

From there make your AA settings look like this picture. Leave the SLI profile blank as you don't have to worry about that.

Now, you can turn off AA in game which causes slowdown issues. Also gives you access to a nice tool for other games.

DzRQT6K.png

Is the game's default brightness too high? I'm seeing lots of screenshots of the castle that just don't look right. Maybe I'm remembering them wrong but everything looks super blown out in a way I don't remember the original being.

Curufinwe

Got up to 2-1 and it's been great so far. The area just after you first meet the Merchant had more guys than I remember encountering in my 10 other playthrus on GC, PS2, Wii and 360. I almost completely ran out of ammo despite shooting their knees using melee whenever I could.

1024x576.resizedimage

Got up to 2-1 and it's been great so far. The area just after you first meet the Merchant had more guys than I remember encountering in my 10 other playthrus on GC, PS2, Wii and 360. I almost completely ran out of ammo despite shooting their knees using melee whenever I could.

I noticed the same thing. At times, I'm sure they spawned out of thin air behind me.

Newboi

I've beaten the game multiple times before, but I have to say that some things just seem strange on this playthrough. There's quite a few of the QTEs where the actual time to input the prompts are literally cut in half due to the frame rate being twice as high. It might be my imagination, but It seems like I've been getting less ammo in general than what I remember from the PS3 and classic PC version, especially the Gamecube version. I also don't remember hits taking off as much life. I haven't died much at all really, but the times I have, they have all been one shots lol.

This game is just as amazing as a I remember though overall and the increased framerate just breaths new life into it. I'm definitely looking towards future texture and shader mods that make RE4 look even better.

I've beaten the game multiple times before, but I have to say that some things just seem strange on this playthrough. There's quite a few of the QTEs where the actual time to input the prompts are literally cut in half due to the frame rate being twice as high. It might be my imagination, but It seems like I've been getting less ammo in general than what I remember from the PS3 and classic PC version, especially the Gamecube version. I also don't remember hits taking off as much life. I haven't died much at all really, but the times I have, they have all been one shots lol.

This game is just as amazing as a I remember though overall and the increased framerate just breaths new life into it. I'm definitely looking towards future texture and shader mods that make RE4 look even better.

I agree with everything you've said. It's a great version of the game but certain things feel a tad off at times, especially in regards to damage taken from enemies. I feel like every enemy has been able to one or two shot me for the entire game despite health upgrades.

Roshin

So far, it runs fine for me, but goddamn the kbam-controls. Is there any way to make your guy automatically face forward when I press forward, without having to turn him around first?

Hypron

The amount of damage you take depends on how well you're playing, so maybe you've been playing very well haha.

Ah, but the humor and horror of RE4 was what it made so intoxicating. Like a warm cozy book to cuddle up with at night. I have Amnesia: TDD if I want to be scared shitless. I count on Mikami to give me that mix of atmosphere, horror and humor.

Fair enough, it's just that I don't find RE4 scary at all because of this humor (and the crazy wrestling moves). It's a great action game but Mikami announced TEW would be a true survival horror, so I'm expecting something more like a mix between REmake and Silent Hill.

Top Bottom