• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

The past few years, I use the RL on
Salazar. He's one of those "wait around and shoot the appendages to open the core" kinda bosses I've seen a thousand times, let me just pump this dude with a RL to his annoying rat face and be done with it.

epmode

Lugging the rocket launcher around for that long would just depress me with all of the loot I'd have to pass up. I use it on
the hive
every time. No regrets.

Yup, definitely take down the nest thing with the TMP, just takes a bit of ammo.

And like most, I save the rocket for Salazar, annoying little bastard over and done with quick fast.

Although I have used the RPG already on my playthrough on the big grunt bastards :(

Sectus

For the heck of it, I decided to make a quick screenshot comparison of the original patched PC release with the new one, and I just discovered one problem I'm curious other people are having.

RE4 HD: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4HD-1.png
RE4 Orig: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4Orig-1.png

RE4 HD: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4HD-2.png
RE4 Orig: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4Orig-3.png

RE4 HD: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4HD-3.png
RE4 Orig: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4Orig-2.png

To make the comparison more fair, I set resolution to 1920x1080 for both versions and turned off AA. I also set RE4 HD to use original textures (which I prefer anyway).

I usually play at 2560x1440 with AA, so I guess that's why I never noticed that the game doesn't seem to render to target resolution? You can tell by the screenshots it's not rendering to 1920x1080, it would be especially obvious without AA as you should be able to see all the aliasing. Are other people experiencing the same thing?

epmode

Hm... I use AA at 2560x1600 and I figured the soft picture had to do with the AA as well as the noise filter. ..but I'm thinking something's up after looking at this shot. The magnum is strange.

edit: Checked my game. It's possible that it's all down to the super-strong noise filter but that magnum still looks off.

Sectus

In your second comparison the rain drop fx are missing in the new UltimateHD version?

You seem to be right. Unless that only appears in motion? Or maybe that's one of the additions Capcom made to the PS2 version?

Edit: I just checked in the game. There's an effect of the rain hitting the ground. It's just more subtle in this version.

Sectus

I just took this shot: https://tjes3a.bn1302.livefilestore...4vjaUA/bio4 2014-03-02 10-28-06-45.png?psid=1

2560x1600 with AA off. The laser sight seems fine.

You're getting the same thing:
y2pbbqcpay_x4gwjvlww8ebol4.png

Pixels are being blended together. You can also see a staircase effect on parts of the image.

The slow down is really fucking bad in the shooting gallery room in the castle of all places.

I'm forcing AA in Nvidia Inspector and I have a GTX 780. It's fairly absurd.

JRW

It's been awhile since I played so can't recall but is it normal for items dropped from enemies to disappear after awhile, I was on my way to pickup a green plant in the distance and it vanished just before I got there.

Unai

Enhance if you want to use in game MSAA, override if you want to use Nvidia Inspector MSAA.

Mouse controls feel really weird. I thought I'd try them for the shooting gallery, but I did better with the controller. Is 5500 the highest possible score in the first gallery?

Tested the game, I am not liking the mouse & keyboard controls : \ , sensibility for camera and aim should be separated...

The game has negative mouse acceleration and the option in the menu does nothing. That is why it seems so off.

It's been awhile since I played so can't recall but is it normal for items dropped from enemies to disappear after awhile, I was on my way to pickup a green plant in the distance and it vanished just before I got there.

It is.

demigod

How's everyone playing this on pc, kb/m or controller? What would be better to use? About to play this today, does the dualshock 4 work on it and does it rumble?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
How's everyone playing this on pc, kb/m or controller? What would be better to use? About to play this today, does the dualshock 4 work on it and does it rumble?

Mouse controls are currently shite right now, been using my 360 pad and it feels great. 60 fps realy helps with aiming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
While I'm happy overall with the port, I do get the sense that it's still a little bit "brute force", almost emulation like, due the odd slowdown in certain scenarios and animations keyframed to the frame rate (and thus some bugging out, like rifle reloading and water surfaces). The game still begs for a full remake on a modern engine from the ground up.

That being said, none of this takes away the fact Resident Evil 4 is a masterpiece.

JRW

I'm using a 360 controller and I'm finally getting used to the awkward controls in the game, but I would suggest you try the Type 2 controller preset, The default type 1 setup is a recipe for insanity due to the Ready weapon button placement (IMO).

Dr Dogg

Well just finished up and RE4 still feels as fresh as the first time I fired it up almost 9 years ago. Took my sweet time and clocked about 15 hours in playtime with a woeful 69% accuracy rating and a comical 29 deaths (a few QTE and Ashley mishaps as well as ballsing up the last sequence due to my 360 pad on its last legs).

It's influences still run deep in many games to this day. While others may have improved upon some of the borrowed mechanics from it none have the combination or sheer polish that this game still has to this day.

Seperate ways up next and then some good old Mercanaries fun before I'll give the port some final thoughts.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You are right. It is a bit annoying. Not asking for strafing here either, just an official support for having Leon turn on L/R mouse axis. It's funny how he can turn like that when you aim, but can't do the same when you are not.

I found like a halfway solution though:

go to your input.ini

###KEYBOARD

KEY_FORWARD = W
KEY_BACK = S
KEY_RIGHT = D
KEY_LEFT = A

Change to:

KEY_FORWARD = W
KEY_BACK = S
KEY_RIGHT = MA_RIGHT
KEY_LEFT = MA_LEFT

That way he turns smoothly with mouse axis L/R input. Only problem is that you loose the free camera look on mouse. If anyone has an idea how to keep or activate that on a button it would be perfect.

I'm going to try this tipp but I think there may be an alternative method to have the character walk left and right with the mouse....using xpadder!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

I'm not touching the game until a patch that fixes mouse movement is released. I have several gamepads in the house(snes, saturn, neo-geo CD, SMS, etc) but none of them have analog sticks.

JRW

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with low quality textures like this fireplace in an "Ultimate HD" edition...

znNBgon.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I used the RL on the final battle and it didn't one-shot him, just downed him for me to climb :( My aim was probably off.

You need a special one for him.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed with low quality textures like this fireplace in an "Ultimate HD" edition...

znNBgon.jpg

Just a heads up in case you don't know, but you should try turning off Postprocess and compare which you like more.

It's basically just a color filter thrown on top and that's it.

Grief.exe

Finally bought the rifle at the part
where you help rescue Ashley from the metal bonds and protect her from the distance
. I will say, Chapter 3 really chews through your ammo supply due to the amount of encounters and the different enemy types.

It is painfully obvious that the animations are still in 30 FPS though. Incredibly jarring.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God fucking damn this game still looks so fucking good. I don't give a shit about the texture resolution or geometric detail. Resident Evil 4 is one of those perfect examples of a totally cohesive art direction where the team knew exactly how to use every colour, pattern, tone, and shade in combination with the available technology to make the game look as impossibly brilliant as it could be.

Hodders

Neo Member
Be weary of rocket launcher usage, in the RE universe, rocket launchers are one-hit kills. You can one-hit every boss in the game with the Rocket Launcher, even the final boss.

However, if you don't want to waste it on a boss but still put it to use, the best spot to use it is on (minor spoilers for an area in the castle)
the giant fleshy nest that the insects crawl out of. If you haven't played the game before, you'll know it when you see it. It normally can't be destroyed, but can be with a rocket launcher, and drops a lot of treasure.

Wow thanks, played through the game countless times since release but never knew that you could do that!

Dr Dogg

Well I knew the cutscenes in Separate Ways were going to prerendered but wow do they look VHS quality. There's one prerendered cutscene in the main game too that sticks out like a sore thumb.

God fucking damn this game still looks so fucking good. I don't give a shit about the texture resolution or geometric detail. Resident Evil 4 is one of those perfect examples of a totally cohesive art direction where the team knew exactly how to use every colour, pattern, tone, and shade in combination with the available technology to make the game look as impossibly brilliant as it could be.

I've always loved that this game had 3 very uniquie art styles with the Village, the Castle and the Island.

It seams all the environment HD texture love was mainly devoted to the Village but even still there's some scenes in the Castle area that are still amazingly atmospheric. The scene with the windows open and the curtains blowing in the wind whilst the camera pans upward toward the long corridor looks fantastic regardless of having low res textures textures.

Same with the Island. One of the cutscenes
(the plaga removal scene)
with only a resolution bump and AA on top still look stunning even with near decade old lighting effects and tricks.

This game is a labour of love from a collection of devs who really were on top of their game at the time.

Played a couple of hours so far, and the game is still amazing after all these years. It won't suprise me if it ends up being my personal GotY 2014. Looking forward to play Separate Ways for the first time. I also can't wait to see what the modding community comes up with, be it mercenaries mods or charachter switches for the main campaign.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't know what is up with all the textures but they all look like they have a facet filter applied over them.

Just finished Separate Ways.

I had only gotten to the middle of chapter 3 back on the Wii years ago, so this is my first time finishing it and, man, the following chapters had some awesome music! Great, great stuff. I'm really glad the pre-order soundtrack was the whole thing and not partial--RE4's got some great tracks.

I had random FPS drops until I turned off in-game AA and forced through drivers. And I'm downsampling the game from 1440p on an older system and its running perfectly.

Hmmm that seems to have fixed it so far. Thanks a lot! Always wanted this game in true hd, so this release has me pretty pleased.

MooMoo

Just finished Separate Ways.

I had only gotten to the middle of chapter 3 back on the Wii years ago, so this is my first time finishing it and, man, the following chapters had some awesome music! Great, great stuff. I'm really glad the pre-order soundtrack was the whole thing and not partial--RE4's got some great tracks.
Have you tried mercs yet? Curious to see what you think of it.

scitek

For the heck of it, I decided to make a quick screenshot comparison of the original patched PC release with the new one, and I just discovered one problem I'm curious other people are having.

RE4 HD: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4HD-1.png
RE4 Orig: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4Orig-1.png

RE4 HD: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4HD-2.png
RE4 Orig: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4Orig-3.png

RE4 HD: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4HD-3.png
RE4 Orig: http://www.tzarsectus.com/temp/RE4Orig-2.png

To make the comparison more fair, I set resolution to 1920x1080 for both versions and turned off AA. I also set RE4 HD to use original textures (which I prefer anyway).

I usually play at 2560x1440 with AA, so I guess that's why I never noticed that the game doesn't seem to render to target resolution? You can tell by the screenshots it's not rendering to 1920x1080, it would be especially obvious without AA as you should be able to see all the aliasing. Are other people experiencing the same thing?

Guessing it has to do with those black bars this version of the game likely still has due to it being based on the Wii/GC version. You can get rid of the HUD and even move the camera around with a freecam mod on the original PC version and they aren't there. Rendering at 1920x1080 is likely really just a cropped/zoomed version of the 4:3 counterpart to that.

Grief.exe

The castle walls in this shot were so detailed I assumed they had been touched up, guess not

How do you force AA through the drivers? I'm getting major slowdown.

If you are on Nvidia hardware, I wrote a guide a couple pages back

Download Nvidia Inspector http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html

Click the profile settings button. In the new window that pops up, click create new profile, name it Resident Evil 4. In the new profile, click the 'add application to current profile' button. Navigate to SteamApps > common > RE4 > bin32 add the bio4 exe.

From there make your AA settings look like this picture. Leave the SLI profile blank as you don't have to worry about that.

Now, you can turn off AA in game which causes slowdown issues. Also gives you access to a nice tool for other games.

DzRQT6K.png

I don't know what is up with all the textures but they all look like they have a facet filter applied over them.

Yeah, it's really adding to the "blown out" look I was mentioning earlier. Maybe it was just unnoticeable on the GC/Wii but it really doesn't look right to me, along with the bright lighting.

Okay, so, I get that I'm running RE 4 on a non-gaming laptop... but I can run RE 6 at 60 FPS at mostly the highest settings on the computer I have right now. RE 4, on the other had, runs in slow-mo and it doesn't matter how much I turn down the settings (600x800p, low shadows, no anti-aliasing, no motion blur), it still runs in Slow-mo. Did it just not install correctly? Should I remove it and then try installing it again?

Dr Dogg

Guessing it has to do with those black bars this version of the game likely still has due to it being based on the Wii/GC version. You can get rid of the HUD and even move the camera around with a freecam mod on the original PC version and they aren't there. Rendering at 1920x1080 is likely really just a cropped/zoomed version of the 4:3 counterpart to that.

I'd say that's pretty much bang on. Here's what the game looks like it you select a resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

6B69A63F6B1259249C3763FED1195E44592B5EBB

That's set to 800x600 and the bars don't quite extend to the left side of the viewport by a couple of pixles and you can still see the gameworld behind is rendered. I'm guessing that all 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions are zoomed in slightly to hide the bars. Could be the setting a 1920x1080 resolution is either rendering higher than that or set to that res then zooming in and compressing the image. Either way you probally won't be getting a 1:1 image at anything other than 4:3.

Just fired this game up and played for almost 2 hours straight. Still feels really well paced. One of the only games from the GC/Xbox/PS2 generation I'll still play over and over again

like the Wii version running in dolphin. if no one else does, I'll put together some comparisons to check. easiest way is to compare 720p compared to a 1280x1024 cropped.

Can someone tell me where the following files are:

Save games
config.ini

Because I moved the game over from C to F drive, and got the missing exe error. Going to delete and reinstall but I'm worried about my save.

Top Bottom