• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Phionoxx

Can you use resolutions higher than 1080P?

I have setup custom resolutions to down sample from (1440p) and it shows it as a selectable option in the menu, but it doesn't actually apply and the resolution remains at 1080P.

Unai

Ok, now I just arrived in the big room with lots of ganados just after fight the first
Garrador
in the castle. I closed the game right away. I can't handle that much awsomeness at 2:45 a.m.

Anyone else feel like the chickens are dropping way more eggs than normal. Could it be frame-rate related???
I've noticed this too. Maybe they drop more on Normal difficulty? I've played this game a dozen times, but I've only played through Normal once to unlock Professional, then I never looked back.

Miker

Ok, now I just arrived in the big room with lots of ganados just after fight the first
Garrador
in the castle. I closed the game right away. I can't handle that much awsomeness at 2:45 a.m.

That part took me a few tries. RE4 is harder than I remember, and it doesn't help that I'm rusty. And that I don't bother giving Ashley (yellow/any) herbs.

TentPole

I've noticed this too. Maybe they drop more on Normal difficulty? I've played this game a dozen times, but I've only played through Normal once to unlock Professional, then I never looked back.

In the farm area you go to after the big village fight the chickens dropped 8 eggs in 10 minutes. It was never like this.

Cabin cutscene glitched and had the voices get way out of sync. Was annoying until it perfect synced some of Luis's dialogue with Ashley's mouth movements.

Edit: I forget, should I enhance with SGSSAA or override?

Garrador
Pro tip: if it gets tough, leave the room and re-enter. Not only will you get a checkpoint, but it'll reset all the still-alive-enemies back to their starting positions.

Sullichin

Lake boss fight ran fine at 60fps on my desktop (HD7950) but ran like shit on my laptop (750m). A problem with nvidia cards perhaps?

Should I still be disabling in game AA with an AMD card?

Edit: I forget, should I enhance with SGSSAA or override?
Enhance if you want to use in game MSAA, override if you want to use Nvidia Inspector MSAA.

Mouse controls feel really weird. I thought I'd try them for the shooting gallery, but I did better with the controller. Is 5500 the highest possible score in the first gallery?

Enhance if you want to use in game MSAA, override if you want to use Nvidia Inspector MSAA.

Mouse controls feel really weird. I thought I'd try them for the shooting gallery, but I did better with the controller. Is 5500 the highest possible score in the first gallery?

Which would be better in this case?

Dr Dogg

Got through the garden. Whew.

Quick enemy's in a tight area? Yeah that ain't fun. Though the TMP really does a number on Salazars pets. You wait until you get to the Island though. A narrow maze of corridors with no where to run and some 'interesting' enemy combos.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Playing RE4 for the first time and am currently on 3-2. The only other RE game I have played is Revelations 3DS. Enjoying it a lot so far! I'm really bad at conserving ammo (would rather extra waste bullets than melee), so that has definitely has put me in some tense situations so far. I'm going to take a couple hour breather then get back it.

And god damn, using the shotgun in this game is really satisfying.

Saikyo

Tested the game, I am not liking the mouse & keyboard controls : \ , sensibility for camera and aim should be separated...

Which would be better in this case?
I couldn't tell you, I'm just downsampling from 1440p with 8x AA in-game. Looks great and runs perfectly for me. No slowdowns at all.

But from my past experiences with SGSSAA, I prefer to enhance in-game AA if the game supports MSAA. Try both, see which looks and performs better. If you're going to override then you'll need specific AA compatibility bits. I think someone posted working ones earlier in this thread.

Grief.exe

If you guys are experiencing slowdown of any kind turn off in-game AA. Not only is it very expensive from a performance perspective, but it causes slowdowns.

Myself and a few others were experiencing slowdowns until we turned in-game AA off, I'm currently forcing MSAA through Nvidia Inspector.

YTqBOuR.png
Were those faces always in the game? :lol I thought they were in the PS2 version only. Although I think they were in the PSN version too.

Tain

Seems like saves are tied to Steam accounts. Looks like this is currently a wasted purchase for me. :/

Hopefully there will be a solution sooner or later.

I just wanted to ask, are subtitles finally included in this one?

I noticed that subtitles were included in the options menu but they were disabled and greyed out. I have no idea why they did this, since the original and the re-release on PS3 have no option for subtitles.

Dr Dogg

I completely forgot about the
laser grid sequence.
I thought that was just in the Paul W S Anderson film. Game imitating film, imitating game.

Edit: Also damn that U3 fight is how you do a puzzle boss. Not too difficult to work out the order of things but with just the right amount of added tension and confrontation. And just when you think it's...

Edit, edit: Also some of the reviews for this seriously have me shaking my head.

FLAguy954

Were those faces always in the game? :lol I thought they were in the PS2 version only. Although I think they were in the PSN version too.

They were always there. In the past, they were hidden behind many CRTs and primitive motion blur. You are now looking at those faces in their unfiltered and clear glory lol.

Garrador

I just got to that part. I was doing so well until Ashley decided to stand up right in my line of fire.

I noticed this too (for a split second) and almost spat out my drink. I'm guessing the higher resolution brings out things like this :)

I also noticed some pre-rendered cut scenes used, when turning the bridge in the castle, and also when the view changes to the sewer boss for the first time. Is this how it was on the Wii ?

Dr Dogg

So what do you guys usually do with the free rocket launcher you get in
the castle
? Thinking about just selling it.

Use it on either the
double Garrador
encounter,
Verdugo when frozen
or
Salazar
depending which one is doing my head in the most.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually want to use the rocket launcher on
Verdugo
this time, as I usually save it for
Salazar
, and as a consequence I have almost never fought the boss actually fairly. For some reason, I almost always use rockets on him and U3.

(boss spoiler)
I keep it until the fight with Salazar, where I proceed to one shot him the second the fight starts.
Feels good every time!
Across Gamecube, PS2, Wii and PS3, I must've completed RE4 15-20 times. Yet I can't recall ever fighting Salazar 'properly'... one shot kill each and every time.

Welp, I used the rocket launcher on the
Novistador hive
. My inventory was completely full, I hadn't picked up the Broken Butterfly yet and Ashley
gets taken away right here
so I had to ditch the Rocket Launcher now before it was too late.

I like fighting the bosses fair anyways.

Welp, I used the rocket launcher on the
Novistador hive
. My inventory was completely full, I hadn't picked up the Broken Butterfly yet and Ashley
gets taken away right here
so I had to ditch the Rocket Launcher now before it was too late.

I like fighting the bosses fair anyways.
Did she already get taken away?
If so you're screwed with getting the free Broken Butterfly unless you went there earlier just to unlock the door.

Did she already get taken away?
If so you're screwed with getting the free Broken Butterfly unless you went there earlier just to unlock the door.
No, I backtracked, unlocked the door, came back to the room where
she gets taken away
, used the rocket launcher on the
hive
, then went back again for the Broken Butterfly.

I noticed this too (for a split second) and almost spat out my drink. I'm guessing the higher resolution brings out things like this :)

I also noticed some pre-rendered cut scenes used, when turning the bridge in the castle, and also when the view changes to the sewer boss for the first time. Is this how it was on the Wii ?

AFAIK in all versions, even the original GC one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh wow, it does that much damage huh? Thanks for the warning.

Be weary of rocket launcher usage, in the RE universe, rocket launchers are one-hit kills. You can one-hit every boss in the game with the Rocket Launcher, even the final boss.

However, if you don't want to waste it on a boss but still put it to use, the best spot to use it is on (minor spoilers for an area in the castle)
the giant fleshy nest that the insects crawl out of. If you haven't played the game before, you'll know it when you see it. It normally can't be destroyed, but can be with a rocket launcher, and drops a lot of treasure.

Risible

Be weary of rocket launcher usage, in the RE universe, rocket launchers are one-hit kills. You can one-hit every boss in the game with the Rocket Launcher, even the final boss.

However, if you don't want to waste it on a boss but still put it to use, the best spot to use it is on (minor spoilers for an area in the castle)
the giant fleshy nest that the insects crawl out of. If you haven't played the game before, you'll know it when you see it. It normally can't be destroyed, but can be with a rocket launcher, and drops a lot of treasure.

It's actually quite easy to kill, I do it with the TMP every time. You don't need to waste the RL on it.

Top Bottom