• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

How long does it take to beat Separate Ways?
Took me a little over 4 hours.

Have you tried mercs yet? Curious to see what you think of it.
Yeah, I tried Mercs twice and I've died both times to the chainsaw, haha. They come out so soon! I also legitimately grimaced and felt the fear when I was shooting a downed chainsaw woman and a second one came from behind me and beheaded me.

Guessing it has to do with those black bars this version of the game likely still has due to it being based on the Wii/GC version. You can get rid of the HUD and even move the camera around with a freecam mod on the original PC version and they aren't there. Rendering at 1920x1080 is likely really just a cropped/zoomed version of the 4:3 counterpart to that.

I'd say that's pretty much bang on. Here's what the game looks like it you select a resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

6B69A63F6B1259249C3763FED1195E44592B5EBB

That's set to 800x600 and the bars don't quite extend to the left side of the viewport by a couple of pixles and you can still see the gameworld behind is rendered. I'm guessing that all 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions are zoomed in slightly to hide the bars. Could be the setting a 1920x1080 resolution is either rendering higher than that or set to that res then zooming in and compressing the image. Either way you probally won't be getting a 1:1 image at anything other than 4:3.

If this is true, that sucks. Not sure I'm really interested in this version anymore, honestly, reading about all these weird issues.

Miker

If this is true, that sucks. Not sure I'm really interested in this version anymore, honestly, reading about all these weird issues.

I think the aspect ratio weirdness (faux-widescreen) is part of all versions. It seems like a lot of RE4's weird issues in its re-releases from Gamecube onwards come from stopgap solutions solutions to ancient 2004 code. This version is still arguably the best alongside an emulated Dolphin version, which is a hassle to get running, with higher system requirements (mainly CPU).

Where are the poor performance areas? I've been lucky enough to maintain 60 fps so far. I just reached the castle. I'm only playing at 1920x1080, though I am using 4x MSAA.

The "Please post your issues here" thread in the Steam community is quite big already. There are so many bugs and issues in this game it's incredible.
I wonder if Capcom will fix them.

Grief.exe

I think the aspect ratio weirdness (faux-widescreen) is part of all versions. It seems like a lot of the RE4's weird issues in its re-releases from Gamecube on come from stopgap solutions solutions to ancient 2004 code. This version is still arguably the best alongside an emulated Dolphin version, which is a hassle to get running, with higher system requirements (mainly CPU).

I would love to watch a documentary encompassing the entire history of development on this title.

From the original GameCube game up through the development hurdles on each of the ports.

How did this happen again? This kind of mouse acceleration is complete bullshit and there's no reason it should ever be anywhere near a PC game, but now we've gotten it twice in a row.

I kind of wonder if it is oversight due to the controller configurations as well. Its just so common in PC ports initially, Deus Ex: HR, Binary Domain, even DayZ.

The slow down is really fucking bad in the shooting gallery room in the castle of all places.

I'm forcing AA in Nvidia Inspector and I have a GTX 780. It's fairly absurd.
That does sound bizarre, I have a 3570K and a GTX 760, and 1080p with 8xMSAA (and everything else max/on), I haven't had a single slow down yet :S
Yeah, I'm running 1440p, 8x in-game AA, and everything else maxed except motion blur and post processing and I haven't had any slowdowns up to chapter 4-1 with my GTX 770 4GB. There's gotta be another culprit. I'm also running D3DOverrider for triple buffering, but the frame rate never drops below 60 anyways so I don't think that would make a difference.

This version is still arguably the best alongside an emulated Dolphin version, which is a hassle to get running, with higher system requirements (mainly CPU).
60 fps automatically puts this over the RE4 Wii on Dolphin for me.

I would love to watch a documentary encompassing the entire history of development on this title.

From the original GameCube game up through the development hurdles on each of the ports.

It goes back even further than GCN, my friend. Its original incarnation eventually became Devil May Cry, for example. A really good historical piece was put together by a fansite I believe but I can't find it offhand, sorry.

Miker

60 fps automatically puts this over the RE4 Wii on Dolphin for me.

Same here, but I can see purists upholding the Dolphin version as the "true" experience, which wouldn't be untrue. The 60 fps has some issues, as we've seen in this thread. Not enough for me to play it at 30 fps again, but they exist.

Dr Dogg

There's a great interview with Mikami, Kamiya et al on the Wesker Report DVD called Director's Hazard. Sadly it's only in Japanese but there maybe a translations kicking around. Hit up News Bot as I think those guys had something to do with it.

Edit: Don't worry I've done the hard work for you. Yeah it was News Bot, here's the link to the thread and the subsequent vid. Make sure you turn on captions and set them to English.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681757
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID3tBEDfeeo

This was filmed while preproduction of RE4 was under way (2001) but was one of the earlier, cancelled versions not directed by Mikami. There's some stuff about the research for 4 that ended up being Devil May Cry (and the hilarity of Kamiya drunk).

This game runs like ass on my machine at 60 fps. Had to go to 30 fps. Made it past the village, and this game still so fucking good. Once the chainsaw guy showed up it was the tension that I remembered from so many years ago.

RE5 runs great in my rig. I really hope the developers of the port continue to patch it until most performance issues are resolved.

epmode

I'd say that's pretty much bang on. Here's what the game looks like it you select a resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

That's set to 800x600 and the bars don't quite extend to the left side of the viewport by a couple of pixles and you can still see the gameworld behind is rendered. I'm guessing that all 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions are zoomed in slightly to hide the bars. Could be the setting a 1920x1080 resolution is either rendering higher than that or set to that res then zooming in and compressing the image. Either way you probally won't be getting a 1:1 image at anything other than 4:3.

Gross. The forced widescreen of the Gamecube release has haunted this game ever since.

This is still the best port of the game but that's pretty half-assed.

antitrop

Yeah, using Xinputwrapper 1.1 Beta 3 and it works perfectly so far.

What did you do to get it working? I'm using the same program, same version, and navigating through the menus is impossible. It's like using triangle for confirmation and shit, it's all just really weird.

First game I've ever not just had it work perfectly from the get-go.

Miker

Has anyone tried this with the Dualshock 4, yet?

What did you do to get it working? I'm using the same program, same version, and navigating through the menus is impossible. It's like using triangle for confirmation and shit, it's all just really weird.

First game I've ever not just had it work perfectly from the get-go.

Works great. There's version 1.2 out now, which has button remapping. I used it to swap start/Y (triangle), which switches map and inventory while leaving potential QTE buttons alone.

For your issues, try unplugging all 360 controllers, maybe? I think I had mine plugged in and I reconnected w/ just a DS4 and it worked. RE4 HD also recognizes Directinput controllers, too, which may conflict w/ DS4 wrapper (because DS4 is a native Directinput controller).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Oh, I should have mentioned it's wired via USB. That might be the difference.

I think the game does some weird things in recognizing controllers. When I launched the game without xinputwrapper it listed a 360 controller and a wireless controller (which was fully configurable, but ended up using the wrong stick for aiming) in the options menu. When I had xinputwrapper running, it only listed a 360 pad. Again, both situations involved a USB cable.

Does that help at all?

edit: Miker's advice sounds like the way to go. I only haven't updated to DSTool 1.2 because 1.1 has been working perfectly and I don't want to screw anything up.

Sectus

Did a quick test. It's still scaled at 4:3 resolutions.

I don't think this theory makes much sense anyway. They've got the source code. Making the game stop rendering the black bars is probably as simple as commenting out one line of code.

Grief.exe

I don't think this theory makes much sense anyway. They've got the source code. Making the game stop rendering the black bars is probably as simple as commenting out one line of code.

Its probably not that simple, or they would have already done it for the Wii, PS3/360, or the new PC versions.

Rich!

The black bars are rendered in the game world and are tied into the UI. They could have got rid of them, but then the UI would still pose an issue.

Sectus

Its probably not that simple, or they would have already done it for the Wii, PS3/360, or the new PC versions.
I think the reason why they never removed it is simple: it was always intended to be 16:9, and nothing else. Heck, with the original Gamecube release there was no way to get rid of the black bars. Even with a 16:9 display, you had to live with the letterboxed 4:3 output.

The black bars are rendered in the game world and are tied into the UI. They could have got rid of them, but then the UI would still pose an issue.
Why would not rendering a specific part of the overlay cause problems for other parts of the overlay?

antitrop

I don't have any controllers other than the DS4 plugged in, and I get the exact same issue with the Input Wrapper running or not. I'm running it USB.

I have no idea why this game is making it such a fucking pain in the ass.

Oh, I should have mentioned it's wired via USB. That might be the difference.

I think the game does some weird things in recognizing controllers. When I launched the game without xinputwrapper it listed a 360 controller and a wireless controller (which was fully configurable, but ended up using the wrong stick for aiming) in the options menu. When I had xinputwrapper running, it only listed a 360 pad. Again, both situations involved a USB cable.

Mine does the exact opposite. If I have the Wrapper running, the Game Controllers window shows "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" and "Wireless Controller", but if I close the Wrapper, then the 360 controller goes away and it's just the Wireless one.

bio42014-03-0217-39-0o3dl4.png

bio42014-03-0217-39-25beap.png

purposefully taken with AA off for comparisons sake.

I don't know that the black bars are something you'd want to remove. Who knows how cutscenes (for example) look with them gone. There could be all kinds of weirdness and stuff we're not supposed to see.

Whatever weirdness is going on with the IQ isn't due to the same kind of scaling quirks you get in 16:9 resolutions in Dolphin. stepping is identical.

MooMoo

Yeah, I tried Mercs twice and I've died both times to the chainsaw, haha. They come out so soon! I also legitimately grimaced and felt the fear when I was shooting a downed chainsaw woman and a second one came from behind me and beheaded me.
Bwahaha. Man, that brings back memories of me being mercs with trembling hands and while screaming because no one in my family could play well enough to get 5 star rankings and they really wanted the handcannon. Fuck chainsaws D:

I really wish this was more like RE6 where nothing is locked behind the campaign. I think I've done more harm to Ashley than the Ganados.

Dr Dogg

There is something off about this though where some textures don't quite look right and some weird aliasing issues are present that I haven't seen before in RE4. It might be that slight noise/grain filter causing it more than my whacky theory of the res being off by a couple of pixels.

void666

Banned
Is it me or is Ashley walking too close to Leon? She is on top of him sometimes. I even knifed her by mistake once while trying to break a barrel.
I don't recall having this problem in the PS3 version.

And let me tell you something that made me feel really stupid. Mind you this is the third time i bought this game. Been playing it since it came out for PS2.
Anyway, for some reason i assumed yellow herb was suposed to cure poison. Pretty stupid since nothing in this game poisons you. I have no idea where i took that from.
So, today, after 7 years since i played this game for the first time i decided to examine the yellow herb: "mix it with a green herb to raise your maximum HP"... Wat?

Oh, no... do I really have to beat the game on a fresh Professional run before I can do a New Game+ on it? I loaded my Normal clear file thinking I'd get the option to then choose the difficulty... nope. Just costume. I kinda wanted to breeze through the game since I just barely beat it, though I'm too poor for the infinite RL anyway. But at least the Special 2 costumes will help where Ashley's concerned.

Bwahaha. Man, that brings back memories of me being mercs with trembling hands and while screaming because no one in my family could play well enough to get 5 star rankings and they really wanted the handcannon. Fuck chainsaws D:

I really wish this was more like RE6 where nothing is locked behind the campaign. I think I've done more harm to Ashley than the Ganados.
I'm eager to really dig into RE4 Mercs, but I can already tell it's gonna be a rough start. I died so fast QQ

Curufinwe

Is it me or is Ashley walking too close to Leon? She is on top of him sometimes. I even knifed her by mistake once while trying to break a barrel.

And let me tell you something that made me feel really stupid. Mind you this is the third time i bought this game. Been playing it since it came out for PS2.
Anyway, for some reason i assumed yellow herb was suposed to cure poison. Pretty stupid since nothing in this game poisons you. I have no idea where i took that from.
So, today, after 7 years since i played this game for the first time i decided to examine the yellow herb: "mix it with a green herb to raise your maximum HP"... Wat?

Not as bad as people who play the whole game without running.

That's almost up there with the 'wait, you can run?' people.

Grief.exe

Oh, no... do I really have to beat the game on a fresh Professional run before I can do a New Game+ on it? I loaded my Normal clear file thinking I'd get the option to then choose the difficulty... nope. Just costume. I kinda wanted to breeze through the game since I just barely beat it, though I'm too poor for the infinite RL anyway. But at least the Special 2 costumes will help where Ashley's concerned.

I've never played the game on Professional before, though I do plan to do so on this version, from what I have read the knight costume for Ashley is the way to go.

Looking up the achievements right now, 4% have beaten the game, 1% have beaten Separate Ways, and <.5% have beaten Professional.

Dr Dogg

I've never played the game on Professional before, though I do plan to do so on this version, from what I have read the knight costume for Ashley is the way to go.

It's quite funny when you get one of the 'catch' prompts. Poor Leon's going to need to see a chiropractor.

Unai

Are you saiying it is possible to choose a different costume playing on hard for the first time?

Looking up the achievements right now, 4% have beaten the game, 1% have beaten Separate Ways, and <.5% have beaten Professional.
Yeah, I read the same thing. I honestly didn't know Ashley's costume would have special properties till I read about it. Would have happened organically anyway since I love Leon's mobster outfit. Fuckin' classy.

Are you saiying it is possible to choose a different costume playing on hard for the first time?
Correct!

Took me a little over 4 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAOu5XY7BY
Just wait till you get to Waterworld.

OH SHIT ACHIEVEMENT STATS? I need to speed run this and beat Professional as quick as possible.

I've only knifed Ashley once or twice by accident in almost all versions. It either happens when I'm moving too much while knifing a barrel or enemy on the floor.

Speaking of sticking close. I alt tab out of the game once, and when I come back, Ashley was sticking to Leon close, very close. When Leon was standing still Ashley would just keep walking in to him causing him to slide. He doesn't like you that way Ash, LEAVE HIM ALONE!

Not as bad as people who play the whole game without running.

That's almost up there with the 'wait, you can run?' people.
Lol, wut?

I made a thread in the Steam Forums hoping the mouse acceleration problem gets more visibility.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749191208723337/

I really hope they fix this soon, after Revelations they should know better than to release with the mouse this way. If anyone else is bothered by this please post some support in the thread so Capcom sees it. Right now the negative mouse accel issue is being buried by people who want the game to control like re5 or other shooters on the PC.

Sectus

Looking at the xbox 360 version, this might explain the scaling going on: http://abload.de/img/1-360i5kit.png

I don't know why, but the 360 version has borders all around the screen all the time. Maybe it was added for them to meet title safe certification? I don't know. Either way, with it being directly based on this version maybe it's rendered the same way, and then they scale it to fit the entire screen. It would explain the blurriness.

Dr Dogg

I'm sure somewhere out there are mental people who want double jumping in Super Mario Bros. despite it would break the balance of the game. RE4's controls are perfect and any changes would unsettle the clutch moments of the game. Pulling off a last minute headshot at point blank only for a plaga to pop out would carry no tension if you could easily run and gun. Plus the tight and cramped FOV is purposeful with blind spots to keep you from being planted to the spot. You're way more mobile than every common enemy.

The Wii version already made Professional a joke. There's one scene in the Island where you have 3 sets of different enemy types and 2 of each, 2 crossbow guys at the back with 2 shielded guys in the middle and 2 stun rod guys at the front. You have to be smart and pick your shots or you'll get clattered by making a bad choice. Sadly in the Wii version that encounter is more like a game of whack-a-mole.

I get that people don't like the tank controls and the pointer style of aiming but changing them isn't going to make the game better as it's designed around them, even down to how the AI will sidestep or rush you then pause to give you a fair chance.

Grief.exe

I really hope they fix this soon, after Revelations they should know better than to release with the mouse this way. If anyone else is bothered by this please post some support in the thread so Capcom sees it. Right now the negative mouse accel issue is being buried by people who want the game to control like re5 or other shooters on the PC.

This is getting frustrating.

Standard controls would ruin the balance and design of the game, both contribute to the overall tension.

Unai

I'm sure somewhere out there are mental people who want double jumping in Super Mario Bros. despite it would break the balance of the game. RE4's controls are perfect and any changes would unsettle the clutch moments of the game. Pulling off a last minute headshot at point blank only for a plaga to pop out would carry no tension if you could easily run and gun. Plus the tight and cramped FOV is purposeful with blind spots to keep you from being planted to the spot. You're way more mobile than every common enemy.

The Wii version already made Professional a joke. There's one scene in the Island where you have 3 sets of different enemy types and 2 of each, 2 crossbow guys at the back with 2 shielded guys in the middle and 2 stun rod guys at the front. You have to be smart and pick your shots or you'll get clattered by making a bad choice. Sadly in the Wii version that encounter is more like a game of whack-a-mole.

I get that people don't like the tank controls and the pointer style of aiming but changing them isn't going to make the game better as it's designed around them, even down to how the AI will sidestep or rush you then pause to give you a fair chance.

I love tank controls and the game fov, but I hate mouse acceleration. If they fix it I'll be so happy!

Playing this again for the first time in almost a decade, I have to say that I really miss the tense inventory conservation. It is something I long for in so many other games.

Now that the muscle memory is back, I'm in love with the game again.

Dr Dogg

I love tank controls and the game fov, but I hate mouse acceleration. If they fix it I'll be so happy!

Hahaha oh that certainly wasn't aimed at this side of town but more in the direction of Mos Eisley ala the Steam Community forums. What's this now? The last 3 RE games with the same mouse issues? I don't think RE 5 had any issues at launch, though it's been a while. 6 and Revelations got fixed pretty quick though so hopefully the folks at Capcom can filter out the signal through the noise.

Top Bottom