• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Cohsae

There, if I remember correctly, the game told me to hit x+c, but my controller (Xbox 360 controller) has no c button. I think I hit x+a there instead and it worked. At least, I *think* it was x+a that I hit.

It's telling me to hit 2 to run and I've just about broken the 2 button now. I just reloaded and tried literally every button on the controller and nothing works. COOL

Too late now, what did I miss?

Just an assload of those red/green/blue gems you get for killing those insect guys sometimes.

...I think. It's been a while. Need to pick this up.

Actually, can you knock that thing down without using a rocket launcher? I thought you could for some reason...

Just an assload of those red/green/blue gems you get for killing those insect guys sometimes.

Actually, can you knock that thing down without using a rocket launcher? I thought you could for some reason...
You can. You just need to shoot it a shit load iirc.

Well, I just finished my first run of the PC version and overall I think it's a very good port, but there are some pretty big oversights. The flickering in the water room for example was something that never should have gotten into a retail product, you can even see it in one of the 60fps gameplay clips they uploaded prior to the game's release. I also don't really think the new textures add much to the game. Perhaps some people will prefer them, but I only really like a few of them more than the old ones, and some of them I think are kind of poorly done.

Sectus

Ughhhhhhhhhhh, crippling slowdown on the sunset Mercs map. ANYTHING BUT MY MERCENARIEEEEES! Capcooooom!

Three characters so far. I love Krauser in Mercs 3D... not sure about in this one. Ada, on the other hand, is amazing.

EDIT: Oh, fucking hell. Now I'm annoyed. My screen flashes black on the water stage. Sometimes it's fast enough that I can tell what I'm doing still, but other times it just hangs for a few seconds and I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to avoid a scary, giant chainsaw man. It's fucking anxiety-inducing; not to mention I dropped a combo because my screen was black and I wasn't hitting anything while trying to save it. Screen likes to hang the longest when going up the longest ladder to the highest point.

Is anyone else getting these problems in Mercs? This is soul-crushing for me.

I think everybody's getting the black screen problem on water world. I've been hearings lots of reports of it. I think many people are also getting the problem that enemies stop spawning on castle.

Just finished my first run. Time for some Mercenaries fun and than a Pro run.

Really happy with this port. I've experienced none of the problems that have been reported(except for the Rifle reload animation issue), and it runs perfect with AA as high as it'll go and a buttery smooth 60 FPS. And it seems the animation for reloading the Rifle corrected itself? It seems to be running at 60 FPS like the rest of the guns for me now. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Unai

This is literary the first time I`m playing without the TMP. It is not bad, and the extra money comes in handy.

What would be the best way to take down the
hive
without a Rocket Laucher and Without the TMP?

Newboi

I'm currently running the game with:

16xQ CSAA and 4x SSAA transparency super-sampling. Both settings are forced through the Nvidia Control Panel. I coldn't seem to get the Nvidia Inspector to work correctly./

RE4 looks great with high levels of AA. The game runs at a butter smooth 60fps on my SLI GTX 670 rig.

Sullichin

Just some treasures, I think a spinel and a gem for the elegant mask.
Thanks, not a big deal.

Just an FYI for everybody about potential ways to fix the slowdown.

My specs
i5-2500k
8gb ram
Radeon 6850 1gb
Windows 7, 64 bit.

I turned motion blur off, and put everything else on high at 1080p and 60fps. This would get me slow-mo. I turned off AA, and things ran like butter.

But, I still wanted 60fps, so I tried overclocking my 2500k to 3.8ghz.

Now, everything runs great at 1080p with 60fps and 8x AA and everything on high (motion blur off though, cause it looks crappy).

So, I didn't necessarily expect overclocking my cpu to fix the slowdown problem, which seems to be an AA issue, but it totally fixed it. The stock turbo mode on that chip runs a 3.3ghz, so a bump up to 3.8ghz isn't something insane... I thought AA would be more of a video card issue, but overclocking my cpu completely fixed it.

It makes me wonder if the game is properly optimized to make full use of the available hardware. I would think that a i5-2500k at stock speeds would crush a game from 2005. I think, my system in general, would be able to handle this game with ease... Like I said, maybe there is more room for optimization with another patch or two.

I have an i52500k OC'd to 4.3GhZ and an HD7950 and I still get slow motion with AA off!
On my laptop I've got an i7 and 750m, same thing.

I did find a temporary solution for the slow motion. If i bring up the inventory screen and go back to gameplay, it will fix itself. For a few seconds at least. I've been finding myself doing that a lot in the later parts of the castle.

I was surprised at how few TMP shots it took to destroy. Maxing out the TMP this time around, which I usually don't use, and it's pretty damn good. In the first areas of the game I was struggling for ammo but now I'm swimming in it.

Just finished my first run. Time for some Mercenaries fun and than a Pro run.

Really happy with this port. I've experienced none of the problems that have been reported(except for the Rifle reload animation issue), and it runs perfect with AA as high as it'll go and a buttery smooth 60 FPS. And it seems the animation for reloading the Rifle corrected itself? It seems to be running at 60 FPS like the rest of the guns for me now. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Both rifle reloads are definitely in 30fps for me. I don't think there was a patch.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just realized that during my Gigante fight, that dog (hallowed be his name) never appeared and did his thing. Of course I freed him at the start of the game, so was this a bug?

I've also noticed a fair number of enemies who fail to aggro and just stand there until I start murdering them. It's usually when encountering a group, there will be a straggler somewhere who isn't approaching me. Can't remember if that ever happened in the PS2 or PSN version but if I'm noticing it now it stands to reason it's because it's not typical.

Oh also, a couple of those dudes in the castle who have rocket launchers had nothing instead. The first two shot rockets but I hid around a corner so I couldn't see them well. The next two guys had nothing (or invisible RLs, I don't know I killed them too fast).

Could 60fps be causing problems with enemy behavior triggers or something?

Tarin02543

When you encounter new zombies it feels so great to run towards them and knife/kick instead of turning your Playstation stick and back away.

pcmasterraceg.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Anyone using a controller who's having troubles with QTEs? Up to the first boulder run and I'm 99% certain the game is telling me to press the wrong button because I'm making zero progress.

For the 360 pad, the X+A command works maybe 25% of the time for me. I have no clue why. The buttons aren't busted or anything.

All QTEs work fine on my keyboard or Wii U Pro pad.

MooMoo

I just realized that during my Gigante fight, that dog (hallowed be his name) never appeared and did his thing. Of course I freed him at the start of the game, so was this a bug?

I've also noticed a fair number of enemies who fail to aggro and just stand there until I start murdering them. It's usually when encountering a group, there will be a straggler somewhere who isn't approaching me. Can't remember if that ever happened in the PS2 or PSN version but if I'm noticing it now it stands to reason it's because it's not typical.

Oh also, a couple of those dudes in the castle who have rocket launchers had nothing instead. The first two shot rockets but I hid around a corner so I couldn't see them well. The next two guys had nothing (or invisible RLs, I don't know I killed them too fast).

Could 60fps be causing problems with enemy behavior triggers or something?
Nice username :p

Can't answer your question but I also noticed that whenever a weapon-wielding enemy dies, their axe, pitchfork, mace, etc. stays suspended in the air for a couple of seconds. I wonder if these issues were in the 360/PS3 versions.

AkuMifune

Banned

Can't answer your question but I also noticed that whenever a weapon-wielding enemy dies, their axe, pitchfork, mace, etc. stays suspended in the air for a couple of seconds. I wonder if these issues were in the 360/PS3 versions.

This is happening to me a lot too, and never happened when I played through the 360 HD version a year ago.

The mouse makes knifing much more effective. You can run up towards enemies and even before they attack you can quickly knife them and end it with a kick.

Doing that with a controller on my ps2 ten years ago was impossible.

Sounds like cheating. m/kb. pffft.

AkuMifune

Banned

This is happening to me a lot too, and never happened when I played through the 360 HD version a year ago.

The mouse makes knifing much more effective. You can run up towards enemies and even before they attack you can quickly knife them and end it with a kick.

Sounds like cheating. m/kb. pffft. Like one of those ninnies who preferred the Wii pointer controls, right CVX? ;)

My brother is telling me that he can't play this through family sharing. We never had any issues with other games. Are there games that don't support it?

Unai

That`s weird. The gamepad has been more effective for my "knifing" that the keyboard. There is a delay after I press space until I'm able to aim the knife.

Arion

Finally finished the game for the first time clocking in at 17 hrs.

My god that was incredible. The only low points would be the insta kill QTEs but apart from that it's perfect. Its going to be hard to go back to normal games now...

Grief.exe

There has actually been a reported issue when using the mouse controls for melee.

There is about a second delay between hitting the knife button and the game accepting an input for aiming.

Grief.exe

My brother is telling me that he can't play this through family sharing. We never had any issues with other games. Are there games that don't support it?

There shouldn't be an issue with this game. Nothing has been set up through the registry to not allow for family sharing.

Tell him to reinstall, and make sure you aren't using your library at the same time.

Sullichin

So, Riot Gun or Striker? I usually upgrade to the Striker when it becomes available, maybe I will switch it up and stick with the Riot Gun this time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I've had this happen a few times in this version, mostly during the first few stages. I'm pretty sure it happened occasionally in other versions too.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
So, Riot Gun or Striker? I usually upgrade to the Striker when it becomes available, maybe I will switch it up and stick with the Riot Gun this time.

I'm wondering this as well. I completely forgot the striker is in the game, i'm one of those people who don't upgrade anything until i've got the final iteration of the weapon (i.e blacktail or semi-auto). If i've bought the riot gun and already have bought all avalaible upgrades (I just got to the bit with the invisible cockroaches) should I buy the striker when it comes up or just stick with riot gun?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What's the sweet glitch? I would like to know the sweet glitch.

What glitch?

If you equip the Striker than really quickly aim with it, and then before the laser pointer appears (as Leon does the pulling out animation) unequip it, Leon can then move about two to three times faster than he normally does until you load the next room (though you can't equip anything while doing it).

Kadin

Finally finished the game for the first time clocking in at 17 hrs.

My god that was incredible. The only low points would be the insta kill QTEs but apart from that it's perfect. Its going to be hard to go back to normal games now...
Just remember, you still have about 15 more playthroughs to do. Don't wait, get on that right now. Go!

JakeD

getting the cutscene desync issue here. i5 3570k and hd7770. even with AA turned completely off, (and all other settings on low) the opening cutscene will desync right around a minute in.

as far as actual gameplay, i was able to play up to the merchant with 2xAA and high settings at a perfect 60fps. seems to only be longer cutscenes affected.

Dr Dogg

I find the Striker is great for crowds and the Riot Gun is better for singles. It's increased range isn't to my liking as there are way better guns over distance. Plus the Striker with the 100 shell upgrade is just too much fun to ignore for me.

How is M/KB any easier for the knife? I kill 90% of single enemies with a knife, and I can't see where using a keyboard could possibly make it easier. Unless you're... no not even then. Explain this. Hold L, press A, knife. That's it. As opposed to hold Space, click, knife?

Grief.exe

I find the Striker is great for crowds and the Riot Gun is better for singles. It's increased range isn't to my liking as there are way better guns over distance. Plus the Striker with the 100 shell upgrade is just too much fun to ignore for me.

I'm just holding onto the basic shotgun until the striker is available. Can't wait.

I've been playing the game like this lately: no upgrades until I get the awesome weapons. By which I mean Broken Butterfly, Semi Auto Sniper, Red9, and Striker.

Top Bottom