• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

JRW

Just a heads up in case you don't know, but you should try turning off Postprocess and compare which you like more.

It's basically just a color filter thrown on top and that's it.

Wow I could've sworn I had post processing disabled but it was set on 2 in that screenshot, after trying all 3 settings it's a tossup between 2 or Off, definitely some shadow detail being crushed with post processing enabled.

antitrop

They are the same. MS just sells a wireless 360 pad with the PC wireless adapter but the controllers are all the same. I'm actually using the ds4 though.

I can't get it to stop recognizing two controllers at the same time, even though the DS4 is all I have plugged in. What did you do?

antitrop

The most recent DS4 Tool has an option to "Hide DS4 Controller", which prevents applications from recognizing the DS4 as a DirectInput controller. This prevent the double input and is required for some games.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

I tried that and it didn't work, guess I'll keep fucking around with it later.

So far I've spent 1 hour trying to get the controller working properly and 0 playing the game. Blah.

Maybe just before "the house" wasn't the best time to sell my grenades...

Oh well, just means I'll have to go to the twin chainsaw sisters before I kill El Gigante.

Grief.exe

Maybe just before "the house" wasn't the best time to sell my grenades...

Oh well, just means I'll have to go to the twin chainsaw sisters before I kill El Gigante.

I keep selling my hand grenades for some reason, I always get in a situation where I would like to use one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How I do it is that I always keep two of each grenade on hand, but sell others I may find, but hold onto two of each just in case.

The cabin is usually the one place where I consistently use grenades. Most times I'd rather just have another few buckets of TMP ammo just in case. :/

Sullichin

I forgot to go back the other way from the branching path this time. What am I missing again if I skipped El Gigante?

In the castle now. The game looks beautiful. Almost every room in this game is memorable. I didn't beat it last time I played on PS3, so it will be my first time playing the island portion in a while.

I tried that and it didn't work, guess I'll keep fucking around with it later.

So far I've spent 1 hour trying to get the controller working properly and 0 playing the game. Blah.

I've had weird button mapping problems a couple of times. I exited the game and quit steam, then stopped and started the input wrapper again, then launched steam.

tesqui

I've been having just the swellest of a time with this port.

That is until all these really shitty graphical glitches kept popping up on the water world level of mercenaries mode. It's pretty much unplayable. Once you hit a certain point the screen keeps flashing black. I really hope they fix problems like actual graphical glitches first, before they fix the more minor things.

Playing this again for the first time in almost a decade, I have to say that I really miss the tense inventory conservation. It is something I long for in so many other games.

One of the things that many people don't get is that RE4 is in many respects a strategy game. Every scenario involves carefully choosing which weapons to put in your case for the next mission. Each mission presents you with the challenge of conserving ammo and either being skillful with your shots or strategically picking how to spend your shells.

RE5 got rid of some of the strategy and increased the action.

RE6 totally got rid of the strategy and went totally action.

And, therein lies the reason that RE4 is a classic game while RE6 will probably never be regarded as classic. One relies heavily on strategy and choices, and the other relies heavily on throwing as many enemies and bullets your way as possible.

Curufinwe

When you first get to the area where you fight El Gigante you can kill all the crows and get a ton of items by throwing a flash grenade.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I forgot to go back the other way from the branching path this time. What am I missing again if I skipped El Gigante?

In the castle now. The game looks beautiful. Almost every room in this game is memorable. I didn't beat it last time I played on PS3, so it will be my first time playing the island portion in a while.

I've had weird button mapping problems a couple of times. I exited the game and quit steam, then stopped and started the input wrapper again, then launched steam.

Just some treasures, I think a spinel and a gem for the elegant mask.

Unai

I am in the garden maze now. It is incredible how after all these years I still get scared in some spots. I do not really want to go there (because I am afraid), but at the same time I do want to go there (because it will be fun!).

Incendiary grenades insta-kill the wolves which is nice.

Speaking of the wolves, I know there's a cut scene that plays introducing them if you go back across the lake after beating Del Lago, but is there any actual reason to go back?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I used one there too, I wish I had a frag though so it would have popped the lock as well.

I just did that an hour ago. Drop the frag, pop the lock and stun the Garrador, escape cage, murder all monks, snipe Garrador with a cage between us.

I just used a single incendiary to kill 2 shield wielder and 1 mace wielder and 2 normal enemies. Worth its weight in gold.

Also that. There's nothing worthless about them. They're abundant, deadly, and fast to deploy.

It's weird. I started the game up and tried the Salazar statue section again and now I got past the last damn QTE... I feel like going crazy now....
I may as well continue my playthrough now I guess.

Could it be that your health status affects QTEs in a way? I healed myself up completely this time before attempting the QTE. The other times my health bar was in the red range and almost empty

TheUsual

Gold Member
I used one there too, I wish I had a frag though so it would have popped the lock as well.

Nice. I had a frag, but used the incendiary after I got out. It took 3 shotgun blasts to get that lock open and I wasn't hit at all by the Garrado in there.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh, crippling slowdown on the sunset Mercs map. ANYTHING BUT MY MERCENARIEEEEES! Capcooooom!

Three characters so far. I love Krauser in Mercs 3D... not sure about in this one. Ada, on the other hand, is amazing.

EDIT: Oh, fucking hell. Now I'm annoyed. My screen flashes black on the water stage. Sometimes it's fast enough that I can tell what I'm doing still, but other times it just hangs for a few seconds and I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to avoid a scary, giant chainsaw man. It's fucking anxiety-inducing; not to mention I dropped a combo because my screen was black and I wasn't hitting anything while trying to save it. Screen likes to hang the longest when going up the longest ladder to the highest point.

Is anyone else getting these problems in Mercs? This is soul-crushing for me.

dreamfall

Goodness, 3-1. I didn't remember nearly as many enemies being in that huge Castle room, a lot of running, and keeping Ashley safe! Some tense situations!

The game is still so great. Ada, still a complete badass!

MooMoo

That scene is just as hilarious when you're sober.

"Hey it's that dog" and "Bingo" get me every time.
Yeah I got a good chuckle out of that. Even more cause the dog just kept running into the wall and ended up not helping me whatsoever :p

This game made me realize I still scare way too easily. Can barely play through the sewers and there's still the garden maze and playing as Ashley parts.

Guru-Guru

Banned
On 4-1. Glad to FINALLY be playing this game. I'm guessing that if I really want to get scared I have to play the Resident Evil Remake, right? RE4 has been a pretty tense and frantic experience, but that is mostly due to me acting like Rambo (with limited ammo), then having to run around dodging enemies and breaking vases hoping for more shotgun shells. I haven't been that scared yet.

Just an FYI for everybody about potential ways to fix the slowdown.

My specs
i5-2500k
8gb ram
Radeon 6850 1gb
Windows 7, 64 bit.

I turned motion blur off, and put everything else on high at 1080p and 60fps. This would get me slow-mo. I turned off AA, and things ran like butter.

But, I still wanted 60fps, so I tried overclocking my 2500k to 3.8ghz.

Now, everything runs great at 1080p with 60fps and 8x AA and everything on high (motion blur off though, cause it looks crappy).

So, I didn't necessarily expect overclocking my cpu to fix the slowdown problem, which seems to be an AA issue, but it totally fixed it. The stock turbo mode on that chip runs a 3.3ghz, so a bump up to 3.8ghz isn't something insane... I thought AA would be more of a video card issue, but overclocking my cpu completely fixed it.

It makes me wonder if the game is properly optimized to make full use of the available hardware. I would think that a i5-2500k at stock speeds would crush a game from 2005. I think, my system in general, would be able to handle this game with ease... Like I said, maybe there is more room for optimization with another patch or two.

Grief.exe

Oh hello there, what did I just stumble on?

kSBLhz3.jpg

Cohsae

Anyone using a controller who's having troubles with QTEs? Up to the first boulder run and I'm 99% certain the game is telling me to press the wrong button because I'm making zero progress.

Anyone using a controller who's having troubles with QTEs? Up to the first boulder run and I'm 99% certain the game is telling me to press the wrong button because I'm making zero progress.

There, if I remember correctly, the game told me to hit x+c, but my controller (Xbox 360 controller) has no c button. I think I hit x+a there instead and it worked. At least, I *think* it was x+a that I hit.

Edit: I'm using Xbox 360 controller layout III.

Top Bottom