• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Just hit Q, very responsive.
Yea im not arguing that its not responsive on a mouse and keyboard, im arguing my brain has been trained all these years to play RE with it's weird control scheme so playing on a mouse and keyboard would just be the most confusing experience ever and would take a long time for me to fully adjust

I mean, re 1 came out in 96... So Thats what, about 19 years of RE gaming on a controller.

Grief.exe

Yea im not arguing that its not responsive on a mouse and keyboard, im arguing my brain has been trained all these years to play RE with it's weird control scheme so playing on a mouse and keyboard would just be the most confusing experience ever and would take a long time for me to fully adjust

I mean, re 1 came out in 96... So Thats what, about 19 years of RE gaming on a controller.

Not surprising, people are also having issues getting used to the 60 frames per second.

The problems with Mercs mode is really unfortunate. I booted up Mercenaries on the 3DS to get my fix but going back to 30fps is rough. I hope they fix it soon.
Just the FPS is an issue? Why not RE5 PC Mercs, then? :p I tried playing 5 Mercs again a while back and just got my ass handed to me. I really need to give it more time to get good again. I'm too used to RE6 Mercs.

Ironically, I want RE0-CV in 4's engine. Keep the same overall mechanics, but the camera works so much better.

EDIT: Wait Mercs is borked?

Time to burn my PC.
There's only problems with two of the stages (which is half), where sometimes apparently enemies stop spawning in one and, also on the same stage, a character can't use his weapon for some reason (along with the crossbow enemies). The other stage has constant, flickering black screens interrupting gameplay.

The other two stages are golden, except I encountered slowdown in a certain area on the sunset one, but in only one area and with only one character.

At least Village is safe, I guess. But it sucks about the water stage because I don't feel like playing it with the black flickering =/ So I won't unlock the fifth character till it's patched or I'm really desperate and try to play it as-is.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just the FPS is an issue? Why not RE5 PC Mercs, then? :p I tried playing 5 Mercs again a while back and just got my ass handed to me. I really need to give it more time to get good again. I'm too used to RE6 Mercs.

I've played RE5 Mercs before, but I hesitant to pick it up with GFWL dying. Is RE6 Mercs any good? And does Revelations have anything similar?

I've played RE5 Mercs before, but I hesitant to pick it up with GFWL dying. Is RE6 Mercs any good? And does Revelations have anything similar?
For some reason I assumed you owned 5 already. Your reason makes sense, though. I'm still hoping Capcom does good and patches the game to remove GFWL and add the Gold content.

/dream

As for RE6 Mercs: Yes, it's definitely good. Really, really good. Best Mercs in the series for me. I'll plug a video I like from Sectus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwX4ct8DuM This PC-exclusive mode is aptly called No Mercy Mercenaries because... well, just watch.

Regular Mercs is still in, of course. But this is just tons more fun for me, especially in co-op. Good stuff.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
As for RE6 Mercs: Yes, it's definitely good. Really, really good. Best Mercs in the series for me. I'll plug a video I like from Sectus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwX4ct8DuM This PC-exclusive mode is aptly called No Mercy Mercenaries because... well, just watch.

Regular Mercs is still in, of course. But this is just tons more fun for me, especially in co-op. Good stuff.

Thanks, I may have to pick it up the next time it goes on sale.

For some reason I assumed you owned 5 already. Your reason makes sense, though. I'm still hoping Capcom does good and patches the game to remove GFWL and add the Gold content.

/dream

Wait you can co op RE6 mercs now?
I just wish RE6 had RE5's slightly cleaner (although green...) aesthetic... Oh well, might get back into RE6 with this news.

MooMoo

If you wanna play RE5 mercs and don't have it on PC yet I have an extra copy I can hand out.

Relevations has raid mode, which is a different beast in it of itself. You unlock stages that are objective based, which are typically get from Point A to Point B but I think there are a couple boss stages too. There are different difficulty levels as well. Your character levels up as you complete stages and completing stages gives you new guns and custom parts for modding. It's not as action packed as mercs but it can get pretty intense at times. I'm on mobile so maybe someone else can give a better description haha. On a personal front I feel like mercs is better but I enjoyed what raid mode had to offer.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Relevations has raid mode, which is a different beast in it of itself. You unlock stages that are objective based, which are typically get from Point A to Point B but I think there are a couple boss stages too. There are different difficulty levels as well. Your character levels up as you complete stages and completing stages gives you new guns and custom parts for modding. It's not as action packed as mercs but it can get pretty intense at times. I'm on mobile so maybe someone else can give a better description haha. On a personal front I feel like mercs is better but I enjoyed what raid mode had to offer.

That sounds interesting. This release of RE4 somewhat rekindled my interest in the series so I planned on picking up Revelations anyway. Looking forward to it.

Edit: Thanks, by the way! :D

Wait you can co op RE6 mercs now?
I just wish RE6 had RE5's slightly cleaner (although green...) aesthetic... Oh well, might get back into RE6 with this news.
No Mercy, you mean? Yeah, you ca co-op it now :) It's a shame we couldn't in 5 legitimately.

As for the aesthetic, you could use the popular ENB mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py6wT_y52Yo I like it a lot, personally, because the green filter is just awful. Plus, I like how pretty it makes the game look, though that's a detractor for some.

That sounds interesting. This release of RE4 somewhat rekindled my interest in the series so I planned on picking up Revelations anyway. Looking forward to it.
Raid becomes a bit of a grindfest as you go up in difficulty. It'll last you a good 20 hours or so before you start feeling fatigued. But maybe that's just me. Again, it's fun in co-op.

So, about some missing effects from GC/Wii version. Same here, like on 360/PS3 or finaly proper port?

Game is without the DOF blur and the specular highlights from the GC/Wii versions. Direct port of the 360 version but even then it lacks some effects of the console HD ports:

Notice the blue glow from the merchant's fire on the X360 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PLgnEZNDV4
It's lacking in the PC port: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5C0iyQjtk

I didn't notice anything else that may seem weird but I only played the PS3 version once so I can't tell for sure what else could be missing.

Tesseract

Banned
Game is without the DOF blur and the specular highlights from the GC/Wii versions. Direct port of the 360 version but even then it lacks some effects of the console HD ports:

Notice the blue glow from the merchant's fire on the X360 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PLgnEZNDV4

I didn't notice anything weird but I only played the PS3 version once so I can't tell for sure. Who knows what else is missing.

bummer, sorta kinda disappointed now, i hope they fix some of this stuff.

Unai

I can't imagine playing this game with a mouse and keyboard. I can't imagine playing any Resident evil game with a mouse and keyboard....just because of how Funky Resident evil has always controlled.... (things like to do a 180 u gotta make sure run button is enabled...weird shit like that just doesn't make sense with a keyboard).

It's weird, but when I think of precision with games that involve shooting...I think mouse and keyboard....But when it comes to Resident evil games and the idea of precision....I can only think controller. I would NEVER do good in mercs with a mouse and keyboard....

Resident Evil 5, 6 and Revelations all control like a dream with mouse and keyboard.

ILHASS

I didn't notice anything else that may seem weird but I only played the PS3 version once so I can't tell for sure what else could be missing.
oh damn..what's wrong with you capcom...

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
The Riot Gun falls short of both the Striker and the original Shotgun. The Riot Gun has the advantage of faster aiming and turning than the other weapons, but the exclusive upgrade is underwhelming (damage from 8.0 -> 10.0 woopy doo). Every other stat is the same as the Shotgun when maxed out, except the Shotgun has a higher capacity of 18 vs 17.

Compared to the original Shotgun that you get for free, costs much less to fully upgrade, and actually has a useful exclusive upgrade that makes it so you don't lose firepower at any range. You still shouldn't start sniping with the Shotgun, but those guys at the back of a crowd you just fired into are going to be taking full damage from each pellet that hits them now.

The Striker is probably the best shotgun with the highest firepower, fastest rate of fire, highest capacity even before the exclusive upgrade. The exclusive upgrade boosts the capacity to 100 shells effectively freeing up your case from all the shotgun ammo you've been carrying around. It also has the widest spread, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Great for crowd control. It also fires from the hip so you'll need to aim higher for those headshots. Becomes available pretty late in the game.

You can shoot it down.

So should I just keep upgrading riot gun? Or leave it alone until I get to striker?

Resident Evil 5, 6 and Revelations all control like a dream with mouse and keyboard.

Agreed, and so will RE4 if they fix the negative mouse acceleration. There is nothing about the game that makes it unsuited to m/kB. The RE games have been a good fit since they started to have free aiming. Tank controls are fine on wasd and there is not many other buttons so the layout is no problem. It's just the mouse code that needs to be fixed.

I am honestly saddened about the amount of negative reviews for the Steam port. I don't think it's that bad of a port! It's leaps better than the previous one, and better than many other versions of the game. And reading most of the reviews is just... Gah! People complaining about mouse+keyboard controls, and saying it's a bad port and that RE5 or something runs better not understanding on why that is.

According to Enhanced Steam, the positive reviews make up 36% of the reviews, negative reviews make up 64%. It's just saddening to me. There are some things to fix, and a Capcom rep confirmed they have a bit patch coming out in a few days to address a lot of things, but yai, it's not as bad nearly as a lot are making it out to be, and a lot of their issues could be addressed if they just took the time to read some things.

It's super frustrating for someone like me who has been looking forward to this since it was announced and then has to put up with the broken mouse controls again. Granted there are a lot of people who are marking this game down because they want other regular TPS style controls, but Capcom shouldn't be excused for making the same mistakes over and over.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't remember if this happened in previous versions, but any time I'm killed by a thrown hatchet or I shoot an enemy who is pulling one from behind is back it will just float in midair until it's out of camera view. Not really a big deal but a bit distracting.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I don't remember if this happened in previous versions, but any time I'm killed by a thrown hatchet or I shoot an enemy who is pulling one from behind is back it will just float in midair until it's out of camera view. Not really a big deal but a bit distracting.

I think it's a glitch, I don't remember it happening on ps2. Maybe something to do with the 60 fps?

Mr_Zombie

I tried getting back to RE5 Mercs. I barely survived Public Assembly and Josh told me I should consider changing my carieer of choice ;_;

The negativity towards the game is really surprising. I hope Capcom/QLOC fixes this port soon.

Roshin

It's super frustrating for someone like me who has been looking forward to this since it was announced and then has to put up with the broken mouse controls again. Granted there are a lot of people who are marking this game down because they want other regular TPS style controls, but Capcom shouldn't be excused for making the same mistakes over and over.

Quite. I actually bought and tried to play RE4 the first time it was released on PC and out of the box, it was indeed an awful port. A lot of things have been improved this second time around, which is to be expected, considering how long it's been, but it's still disappointing to see flaws like this. It's not like Capcom are unfamiliar with the PC either.

I'm hoping they can sort it out.

Hypron

Yeah the controls are really good. I can see two downsides to using Kb/m though: hitting counter QTEs in RE5 is quite a bit harder, and quick inventory reload is less accurate than with a pad since you need to either use the mouse to do it or move your right hand from the mouse to the arrow keys, whereas on a pad you can remember the exact sequence on the DPAD that will perform the reload, which is faster and easier to pull off under pressure.

MooMoo

Yeah the controls are really good. I can see two downsides to using Kb/m though: hitting counter QTEs in RE5 is quite a bit harder, and quick inventory reload is less accurate than with a pad since you need to either use the mouse to do it or move your right hand from the mouse to the arrow keys, whereas on a pad you can remember the exact sequence on the DPAD that will perform the reload, which is faster and easier to pull off under pressure.
Speaking of reloads, am I crazy or are you supposed to be able to go into inventory and use the combine command to reload guns in RE4? I feel like I've seen this in lets plays but I can't seem to do it.

JRW

Yea.. I just noticed this tonight when walking through the village in chapter 2-1 (night time), Torches on buildings & enemies carrying torches etc lack this glow which added a nice touch, I remember seeing this in Gamecube version, kind of disappointed about it..

(sorry about quality, the gamecube pic came from an old video capture I made years ago)

GameCube:
HAJrMlT.jpg

PC Ultimate HD: (image resized for comparison sake)
vdg9ifM.jpg

Grief.exe

Yea.. I just noticed this tonight when walking through the village in chapter 2-1 (night time), Torches on buildings & enemies carrying torches etc lack this glow which added a nice touch, I remember seeing this in Gamecube version, kind of disappointed about it..

(sorry about quality, the gamecube pic came from an old video capture I made years ago)

GameCube:
HAJrMlT.jpg

vdg9ifM.jpg

Interesting research guys.

So should I just keep upgrading riot gun? Or leave it alone until I get to striker?
You should probably just hang onto the Riot Gun at this point since you've already upgraded it a bit. Chances are that if you switch over to the Striker then you won't have enough money to fully upgrade it since you already sank a bunch of money into the Riot Gun.

Yup, playing this in co-op is some of the most fun I had the entire gen. The gameplay is just so good. There are also left 4 dead characters and enemies which provide a nice change of pace. There are a ton of stages and characters to unlock, you can get a lot of hours out of it.

The Riot Gun falls short of both the Striker and the original Shotgun. The Riot Gun has the advantage of faster aiming and turning than the other weapons, but the exclusive upgrade is underwhelming (damage from 8.0 -> 10.0 woopy doo). Every other stat is the same as the Shotgun when maxed out, except the Shotgun has a higher capacity of 18 vs 17.

Compared to the original Shotgun that you get for free, costs much less to fully upgrade, and actually has a useful exclusive upgrade that makes it so you don't lose firepower at any range. You still shouldn't start sniping with the Shotgun, but those guys at the back of a crowd you just fired into are going to be taking full damage from each pellet that hits them now.

I know this is an old post, but the Riot Gun is definitely better than the original Shotgun, maybe not from a price point, but it has a much tighter spread, which means it's going to be effective at longer ranges long before the original shotgun can get its exclusive. No disagreement about the Striker though, it's by far the best.

d00d3n

GameCube:
HAJrMlT.jpg

vdg9ifM.jpg

Whoa, that seems like a quite big graphical downgrade on pc. I was never a supporter of the belt buckle glow community, but in this instance the downgrade seems substantial. In your image comparison the atmosphere is totally changed between GC and PC.

Unai

I just press R to reload.

Speaking of reloads, am I crazy or are you supposed to be able to go into inventory and use the combine command to reload guns in RE4? I feel like I've seen this in lets plays but I can't seem to do it.

No, I don't think so. Real time only as far as I know.

As I didn't have enough reasons to not buy this.

andthebeatgoeson

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=778646

Just a brief background but I'm getting some extremely low number fps on this.

Sager laptop NP9170
7970 GPU
i7-3610QM
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

That's my rig and it beats the recc settings. Not by a huge difference but enough to make me feel like it will be playable. It's not. Even talking to the drivers at the beginning causes the game to play the sound and the video takes about 2-3 minutes for the driver to go thru his motions. I just installed the drivers clean, set the resolution at 720p, anti aliasing at 2x, no post processing.

And another weird thing, I can't change the FPS to 30. It's blacked out and stuck on 60. I'm ready change it to 30 but can't. What am I missing?

Listonosh

I actually haven't played this since the Wii release, and am planning on picking it up when it goes cheaper, but a coworker of mine who has actually never played RE4 asked me about it, and I told him it's easily one of the best RE games to date, so he bought it.

He then proceeds to tell me the next day that he absolutely hates it because of the controls. Granted, I couldn't sympathize since I played it on the Wii, but his beef with it is basically that the left stick is used for movement and aiming, and says its one of the most unintuitive control schemes ever.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or is he in the minority here?

Bitores on pro mode...

Fuck... I had to use up all my herbs, even my R+Gs :( I saved on another file to attempt it again and be more careful, but, fuck. What an asshole. I actually DID try again but died from ONE ATTACK after doing pretty well and it just killed the joy for me at that moment.

I actually haven't played this since the Wii release, and am planning on picking it up when it goes cheaper, but a coworker of mine who has actually never played RE4 asked me about it, and I told him it's easily one of the best RE games to date, so he bought it.

He then proceeds to tell me the next day that he absolutely hates it because of the controls. Granted, I couldn't sympathize since I played it on the Wii, but his beef with it is basically that the left stick is used for movement and aiming, and says its one of the most unintuitive control schemes ever.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or is he in the minority here?
He should at least look in the options before complaining. Control Type III will probably better for him since it has aiming on the right stick.

Top Bottom