• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Grief.exe

A Pro run with only the environment weapons is actually quite fun (and yes no rifle for the Island). If you're really hardcore you can try a no merchant run.

Well, this is really only my second time through the game, with the first run coming almost a decade ago, I'm far from an expert like some of you guys!

I think I will take every advantage presented to me, I just want to try different weapons than what I used this play through.

I think everybody's getting the black screen problem on water world. I've been hearings lots of reports of it. I think many people are also getting the problem that enemies stop spawning on castle.
I definitely noticed the castle one, too, but since I had never played it before, I thought I just wasn't finding them and that they were being sneaky.

This is really disappointing, to say the least. I guess it's time to post on the RE4 Steam discussions bugs sticky thread.

I haven't gotten to the castle yet...but the only really noticeable bug that I've seen is that the enemy axes hang in the air after you kill the.

I saw a cutscene de-sync once, but after I fixed my frames per second issue (fixed the slowdowns), that error went away.

Unai

I just realized that when there is a snake near a check point, I can keep killing it and restarting over and over again until it drops a gold egg.

I definitely noticed the castle one, too, but since I had never played it before, I thought I just wasn't finding them and that they were being sneaky.

This is really disappointing, to say the least. I guess it's time to post on the RE4 Steam discussions bugs sticky thread.

I'm not so sure that's a glitch as much the enemies having an awkward spawn rate. I remember similar things happening in the Gamecube and other various versions.

oldnick

Banned
I noticed something I never saw before:
At the beginning of the castle, in the prison, where you meet the first 'wolverine', there is a shotgun ammo box up high unreachable on a wood bar.
Or can you reach it ?

So, Riot Gun or Striker? I usually upgrade to the Striker when it becomes available, maybe I will switch it up and stick with the Riot Gun this time.

I'm wondering this as well. I completely forgot the striker is in the game, i'm one of those people who don't upgrade anything until i've got the final iteration of the weapon (i.e blacktail or semi-auto). If i've bought the riot gun and already have bought all avalaible upgrades (I just got to the bit with the invisible cockroaches) should I buy the striker when it comes up or just stick with riot gun?

The Riot Gun falls short of both the Striker and the original Shotgun. The Riot Gun has the advantage of faster aiming and turning than the other weapons, but the exclusive upgrade is underwhelming (damage from 8.0 -> 10.0 woopy doo). Every other stat is the same as the Shotgun when maxed out, except the Shotgun has a higher capacity of 18 vs 17.

Compared to the original Shotgun that you get for free, costs much less to fully upgrade, and actually has a useful exclusive upgrade that makes it so you don't lose firepower at any range. You still shouldn't start sniping with the Shotgun, but those guys at the back of a crowd you just fired into are going to be taking full damage from each pellet that hits them now.

The Striker is probably the best shotgun with the highest firepower, fastest rate of fire, highest capacity even before the exclusive upgrade. The exclusive upgrade boosts the capacity to 100 shells effectively freeing up your case from all the shotgun ammo you've been carrying around. It also has the widest spread, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Great for crowd control. It also fires from the hip so you'll need to aim higher for those headshots. Becomes available pretty late in the game.

I noticed something I never saw before:
At the beginning of the castle, in the prison, where you meet the first 'wolverine', there is a shotgun ammo box up high unreachable on a wood bar.
Or can you reach it ?
You can shoot it down.

And first run done :)

254700_2014-03-03_000jiu14.png

Miker

As much as I love RE4 (I've beaten it 3 times, and I almost never replay games), I feel like it's wearing me down a bit by Chapter 4-1. I think it's because I played both REvelaitons and RE6 in the past 6 months and RE5 a year or two ago. Don't get me wrong, RE4 is still one of my favorite games ever and still impeccably designed, but after playing the other three RE4-esque games, it feels a bit overly familiar by now. Comforting, certainly, but not quite as unique and gripping as it once was, at least for me.

Rnr1224

Play time on this game can vary wildly.
Go off of chapters instead, Chapter 5-3 is the last full chapter.

really? wow im at 5-2 so im excited to see where it goes next! i know there is still the krauser and Sadler boss fights.

Im experiencing some issues with the port. mainly only the rifle animations are at 30 fps and i even had one time where there was a mini cutscene in SD. This cutscene was when you activate the clocktower to move the bridge toward salazar's tower.

Grief.exe

I mean, would you defend tank controls? It's the same principle at heart.

The difference is tank controls were a deliberate design decision for the game, negative mouse acceleration is an oversight caused by the way analog movement is calculated.

really? wow im at 5-2 so im excited to see where it goes next! i know there is still the krauser and Sadler boss fights.

Im experiencing some issues with the port. mainly only the rifle animations are at 30 fps and i even had one time where there was a mini cutscene in SD. This cutscene was when you activate the clocktower to move the bridge toward salazar's tower.

Apparently that cut scene has always been pre-rendered.

Holy shit that was jarring, I ran into that one last night.

Rnr1224

The difference is tank controls were a deliberate design decision for the game, negative mouse acceleration is an oversight caused by the way analog movement is calculated.

Apparently that cut scene has always been pre-rendered.

Holy shit that was jarring, I ran into that one last night.

That was my reaction. seeing the rifle reload at 30 fps compared to the rest of the game looks bad but i did not expect that at all.

Grief.exe

That was my reaction. seeing the rifle reload at 30 fps compared to the rest of the game looks bad but i did not expect that at all.

I'm used to that now, but that one is really jarring too.
I hope the animations that are still at 30 FPS were just an oversight and Capcom will fix them with a patch.

I thought my computer was dying when that cutscene played. What a weird thing to leave unchanged for this version.

They probably couldn't get the animations to work in a reap environment. Probably just recorded it frame by frame and used that.

At this point, would be impossible to fix. Or at least too expensive for such a short scene.

Unai

Steam foruns are just horrible. I lose faith in humanity every single time I go there and read a couple of threads.

kick51

Banned
Steam foruns are just horrible. I lose faith in humanity every single time I go there and read a couple of threads.

yeah, i was wondering why the Overgrowth devs made a secret forum for their game until I checked out a few other steam forums. yeeeeeesh!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am honestly saddened about the amount of negative reviews for the Steam port. I don't think it's that bad of a port! It's leaps better than the previous one, and better than many other versions of the game. And reading most of the reviews is just... Gah! People complaining about mouse+keyboard controls, and saying it's a bad port and that RE5 or something runs better not understanding on why that is.

According to Enhanced Steam, the positive reviews make up 36% of the reviews, negative reviews make up 64%. It's just saddening to me. There are some things to fix, and a Capcom rep confirmed they have a bit patch coming out in a few days to address a lot of things, but yai, it's not as bad nearly as a lot are making it out to be, and a lot of their issues could be addressed if they just took the time to read some things.

Grief.exe

According to Enhanced Steam, the positive reviews make up 36% of the reviews, negative reviews make up 64%.

Holy shit this is a disaster.

I agree with you entirely, the port has some issues but, overall, it is very solid. We will see what Capcom will push out in the way of patches, but I am quite impressed by the quality of this one.

You could easily argue that the port is very barebones, but I don't know what people expect for a game that is a decade old.

Varna

Real shame. I understand some people are having slow down issues and of course the 30 FPS animation for rifle reloading are really annoying. But it's a solid port otherwise. Hopefully the patch fixes up most issues people are having.

What exactly are the issues with the mouse and keyboard controls? I played around with them and I don't notice anything besides some odd acceleration issues.

According to Enhanced Steam, the positive reviews make up 36% of the reviews, negative reviews make up 64%. It's just saddening to me. There are some things to fix, and a Capcom rep confirmed they have a bit patch coming out in a few days to address a lot of things, but yai, it's not as bad nearly as a lot are making it out to be, and a lot of their issues could be addressed if they just took the time to read some things.

This is insane. The port is in no way that bad. What were people expecting?

This is insane. The port is in no way that bad. What were people expecting?

From my brief stint at the Steam Forums, they expected a lighting overhaul, fully variable framerate, twin stick controls/standard 3rd person shooter controls, the reticle to be perfectly steady, better models, etc etc etc

In other words, not an enhanced port, but a full on from scratch remake, remade for the worse.

EDIT: To be fair, SOME of them are actually having legitimate issues, and not just ones stemming from a lack of understanding that it's a port of a decade old GCN exclusive game that was already jerry rigged to work on other consoles.

Damn, I forgot just how engaging and addictive this game was.....

So good....and that solid 60fps is so lovely

Wait, people are hating this port? On my PC it seems to play like the "definitive" version of all versions. And my PC isn't that great.

<edit> haven't played mercs yet

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The problems with Mercs mode is really unfortunate. I booted up Mercenaries on the 3DS to get my fix but going back to 30fps is rough. I hope they fix it soon.

Ironically, I want RE0-CV in 4's engine.
Time to burn my PC.

Oh god...please give me an HD remake of RE:CV for Steam. I don't necessarily care about it being done in the style of RE4. I rather have RE2 done in the style of RE4....but either or for RE:CV would be awesome (hd version or re4 style recv)

No, just not capable of rational thought.

I can't imagine playing this game with a mouse and keyboard. I can't imagine playing any Resident evil game with a mouse and keyboard....just because of how Funky Resident evil has always controlled.... (things like to do a 180 u gotta make sure run button is enabled...weird shit like that just doesn't make sense with a keyboard).

It's weird, but when I think of precision with games that involve shooting...I think mouse and keyboard....But when it comes to Resident evil games and the idea of precision....I can only think controller. I would NEVER do good in mercs with a mouse and keyboard....

The knifing is so difficult in this game.

I have to wait until Leon's knife pull-out animation is fucking done till I can move it...very slowly.

The knifing is so difficult in this game.

I have to wait until Leon's knife pull-out animation is fucking done till I can move it...very slowly.

it sucks...especially sometimes u gotta be at weird angles to even hit them......one of the worst knifing in RE games period. But i still use it more than my Gun.

DAT RE:CV KNIFE!!! Best KNIFE

Top Bottom