• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Mechazawa

The mouse acceleration is just completely fucking awful. Immediately started using the gamepad after the first encounter.

I also don't understand why they didn't steal Resident Evil 5's on-screen cursor as an option for MKB controls. It worked functionally the exact same as RE4's Wii implementation.

The mouse acceleration is just completely fucking awful. Immediately started using the gamepad after the first encounter.

I also don't understand why they didn't steal Resident Evil 5's on-screen cursor as an option for MKB controls. It worked functionally the exact same as RE4's Wii implementation.
It makes the game way easier and it wasn't designed for it, though I think it should still be an option.

I think the floating on screen cursor is the best setup. It's really good for aiming but also it will better explain the weird control scheme of RE4 to PC people who have never played it before. At first glance right now it seems like a regular over the shoulder TPS, and its leading to a lot of people thinking the game is broken for not controlling like one. The on screen floating cursor at least gets the idea across that the game is setup to be kind of like a shooting gallery where you control where it turns into one, and the tanky movement is independant from the aiming side of the game.

I think the best option would be an on screen floating cursor that the laser sight 'tracks', but not get rid of the laser sight or it's jitter due to weapon balancing and attachments etc.

so1337

Third I've bought this installment and I'm falling in love with it all over again. Except, I had to turn the motion blur off -- it was extremely nauseating. Was the motion blur always that intense on the Gamecube and PS2? I don't remember it ever being that extreme.
I don't think there was camera motion blur in the original game. I turned motion it off as well. Something about it seems weird.

Dr Dogg

I might have to reinstall WidescreenFixer for a 2.35:1 Pro run. Though I'm not sure if the increased FOV is going to sully the experience.

kewlmyc

My first playthrough I'm going with only the handgun, shotgun, Bolt Action Rifle, and Broken Butterfly. How fucked am I? Only played this game once before on the Wii.

Grief.exe

I think the floating on screen cursor is the best setup. It's really good for aiming but also it will better explain the weird control scheme of RE4 to PC people who have never played it before. At first glance right now it seems like a regular over the shoulder TPS, and its leading to a lot of people thinking the game is broken for not controlling like one. The on screen floating cursor at least gets the idea across that the game is setup to be kind of like a shooting gallery where you control where it turns into one, and the tanky movement is independant from the aiming side of the game.

I think the best option would be an on screen floating cursor that the laser sight 'tracks', but not get rid of the laser sight or it's jitter due to weapon balancing and attachments etc.

Have to account for the lowest common denominator somehow. This is exactly why we won't see games like this again.

AkuMifune

Banned
Loving this game again, but man. I think this version has some jank. The floating weapons, the AI..? How is the AI messed up? They spin around, don't open doors, sometimes can't climb ladders. They must have messed with something. The lighting seems off in places, some wall textures are hideous...

Still. Sometimes I forget how old it is. Been through RE4 over a dozen times on 5 platforms now, and as much as I hate it for killing off Survival Horror, it was way ahead of its time and not really the games fault. And maybe the best New Game +. That first chainsaw guy in town shows up and it's Texas Chainsaw Massacre nightmare fuel. The second time around it's like pffft...he's not even armored.

Risible

I see a ton of golden eggs in people's inventories. Am I missing something? Are they good for something else besides selling them?

Risible

Pretty sure they fully fill up your health.

Oh, people actually use them for health? I guess maybe those guys are playing in Pro mode and need them or something? I can't see needing them in normal, so I suppose that's what it is for. Interesting.

legacyzero

Banned
Man, I was having such a great time playing this list night, until I got a lovely blue screen saying "KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR", followed by Windows not wanting to start because of a "BOOTMGR MISSING" error. Was fun trying to figure that one out.

Reknoc

Oh, people actually use them for health? I guess maybe those guys are playing in Pro mode and need them or something? I can't see needing them in normal, so I suppose that's what it is for. Interesting.

they also take up 1 slot so 1 mixed herb = 2 golden eggs

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Very nice! I'm going to take my time getting there; I played the hd console version to completion just last year. It must have been really nice playing this after all these years.
Yeah, quite the experience. All these years and i almost forgot how good this game was.

This is such a great month for gaming, only a few weeks left for Final Fantasy X HD Edition on PS3
Feels so nice to go back to these glorious days. Its been like 10 years or so since i've last played FFX and X-2
Great work! I'm working my way towards a 100% completion rate in this game myself.

Thanks! :)
Now i think i will re-install RE5. I didn't enjoy it that much but it was an OK game. Too bad Capcom never released the DLCs for the PC version. I still have some faith that they might port that content someday.
I hope they remove GFWL and update it with Steamworks achievements, that would be awesome.

OriginX

I see a ton of golden eggs in people's inventories. Am I missing something? Are they good for something else besides selling them?

I don't know if it works in this version, but in the GCN and PS2 version, there was an exploit where you could grab a golden egg on the farm, go save in that shack quick, load the save you just made and the chicken will lay another golden egg and you just keep repeating that process. It essentially let's the player get infinite health/gold. I assume that's what they are doing, because I'm seeing a lot of people with 5+ golden eggs in their inventory and a ton of money.

I totally missed out on this game. I would have gotten it for $16 via GMG. I was scared when I was younger and totally didn't finish this game but got fairly far. Can't wait to get it again, in HD and 60fps and play it on my PC!!

Grief.exe

Thanks! :)
Now i think i will re-install RE5. I didn't enjoy it that much but it was an OK game. Too bad Capcom never released the DLCs for the PC version. I still have some faith that they might port that content someday.
I hope they remove GFWL and update it with Steamworks achievements, that would be awesome.

I'm waiting to see what Capcom does with their GFWL games before I jump into RE5. Its inclusion has always turned me off that game.

I don't know if it works in this version, but in the GCN and PS2 version, there was an exploit where you could grab a golden egg on the farm, go save in that shack quick, load the save you just made and the chicken will lay another golden egg and you just keep repeating that process. It essentially let's the player get infinite health/gold. I assume that's what they are doing, because I'm seeing a lot of people with 5+ golden eggs in their inventory and a ton of money.

Someone else mentioned that if you get a checkpoint with a snake, you can just farm that checkpoint until you get a golden egg.

I'll keep the chicken exploit in my head for my professional run though.

Grief.exe

Woah, I saw some of the Steam reviews for this... People are crazy.

Are people not aware that it is nearly impossible to run and accurately shoot in real life? Running and shooting is just a popular game-y way to represent shooting, it makes perfect sense to have at least some games that require you to stop to aim properly.

I hate this idea that every game needs to play the same. RE4 doesn't need to be a run and gun game just like Monster Hunter doesn't need to have a lock-on system.

Not only that, but, most importantly, literally every facet of the game is balanced and optimized for that type of movement. From the AI, to the level design, and the weapons.

Any other way would completely ruin the game. Its frustrating to say the least, infuriating would be a more accurate description.

Oh my god. I'm at the part where after you've rotated the clocktower thing, you've got the two garradors, right? Now, two Garradors is normally no problem for me, except this time, I've got the zealots just -pouring- in. I had killed 7 of them, and pretty sure there was another in the room, by the time a Garrador managed to triple hit me and lop my head off.

WHERE ARE YOU COMING FROM!?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=235054657
He's hungry.

def sim

The knife delay has started to bother me. :/

Yeah, quite the experience. All these years and i almost forgot how good this game was.

This is such a great month for gaming, only a few weeks left for Final Fantasy X HD Edition on PS3
Feels so nice to go back to these glorious days. Its been like 10 years or so since i've last played FFX and X-2

I'd love it if more classics from that time come to PC or elsewhere. FFX is probably the last Final Fantasy I've played, not counting the recent MMO, and I remember having fun with it. I wonder if it holds up.

I'd love to play and complete the game. Too bad chapter 3-1 continues to freeze no matter what I do. Haven't been able to play for three days :(

Grief.exe

I'd love to play and complete the game. Too bad chapter 3-1 continues to freeze no matter what I do. Haven't been able to play for three days :(

Did you verify cache? You are obviously missing a texture or something the game is looking for.

If that fails, I would say back up your save and redownload.

Since we are showing off our inventory..

re4inventoryo2j0u.jpg

Still on first play through, near the end though.

I like all my guns in one section.

Un-rotated ammo boxes and all-green herbs 3/10

Grief.exe

For you guys who have run through this game a bunch of times, what is the best way to deal with some of these harder enemies?

Garrador, wolves, etc.

For you guys who have run through this game a bunch of times, what is the best way to deal with some of these harder enemies?

Garrador, wolves, etc.
Garrador: Put rifle shots into their backs, don't waste ammo shooting anywhere else. Should be easy enough to position yourself behind them if you walk slowly. Running makes noise and these guys can only "see" you if you're making noise. The first Garrador encounter has a pair of bells in the room, and so does the encounter with 2 Garradors. Shooting them (or knifing? never actually tried knifing the bells) will cause the Garrador to charge at them, break them, and get his claw stuck in the wall momentarily. That's your chance to shoot him in the back. The charge wind up animation is unique so watch for it, that's your opportunity to get out of the way and let him get stuck in a wall. Try putting some distance between you and the Garrador then start running to make noise and hopefully that'll trigger a charge animation.

If you don't feel like shooting them knife him in the back, same strats apply.

Wolves: TMP is great for these guys as it keeps them constantly stunned. Incendiary grenades are also an instant kill. If you don't have either then use a shotgun when they get close.

Garrador, wolves, etc.

Wolves, I use incinerate grenades if I can gather a bunch up... Otherwise shotgun.

Garradors are hella easy. They only notice you if your running. So as long as you walk, they never know where you are...and just randomly shoot them in the back or trigger the bell so you can get a better back shot.

Un-rotated ammo boxes and all-green herbs 3/10

I noticed the handgun bullets after taking the pic, oh well. In regards to all green herbs, the game gives you a billion of them, can't help but have all green herb ones.

Unai

I tried the wii version again.

The controls are as awsome as always, but I couldn't stand playing at 30 frames per second anymore lol

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did you guys see this?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/

Some dude made the GC shader effects like specular shine and bump maps work in this new "ULTIMATE" HD version. Says he did it in 2 hours without access to the game files.
He also claims that this new version has fucked gamma, causing blown out midtones & banding.

This looks really good. Dude did a great job. He said he plans to release more info tonight as he's currently at work.

I only discovered this recently. Blew my mind. Makes no sense but it's nice to have a good grenade besides the green one.

It's a parasite that lives completely within the body, where there is no/there is little light. Having an incredibly intense flash of light could very easily burn it.

scitek

I meant las plagas but my phone thought that had to be wrong.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense, but suplexing enemies on stair cases doesn't sound logical, either, yet it's often a necessity in this game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't know if there's anything more satisfying in this game than having a group of Las Plagas enemies on screen and watching a flashbang vaporize them. It feels so awesome.

Unai

I meant las plagas but my phone thought that had to be wrong.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense, but suplexing enemies on stair cases doesn't sound logical, either, yet it's often a necessity in this game.

Kill a snake and get a chicken egg is yet another thing that does not make sense, but it cool nonetheless.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did you guys see this?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/

Some dude made the GC shader effects like specular shine and bump maps work in this new "ULTIMATE" HD version. Says he did it in 2 hours without access to the game files.
He also claims that this new version has fucked gamma, causing blown out midtones & banding.

Cool. The dream is to get the HD edition up to the GCN/Wii standard. Would have been nice if he showed off some of the specular mapping beyond Ashley's belt.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Cool. The dream is to get the HD edition up to the GCN/Wii standard. Would have been nice if he showed off some of the specular mapping beyond Ashley's belt.

He does. On leons straps, storage bag, and other gear too, and in the second video he shows it on items (and why it's partially borked as a result of the gamma issue)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
He does. On leons straps, storage bag, and other gear too, and in the second video he shows it on items (and why it's partially borked as a result of the gamma issue)

Cheers, missed that one. Yeah, definitely there, if fucked up due the gamma. Sucks he has no high level access to the necessary files. Hope he or someone finds a way.

It's haaaaaappening. I was hoping the game was still calling out to the shaders (even though they weren't there) so that something like this would be possible. Hopefully this turns into something I can download and use soon.

Mechazawa

anyone here content playing on keyboard and mouse?

I don't think it's that bad at all

It's a really hard decision to make.

The mouse acceleration is a bit of a pain and because you can move the camera with the mouse while not aiming, it means I often end up accidentally aiming at a completely different direction whenever I bring my weapon up relative to where Leon is facing.

But using the rifle to line up headshots feels so much better on the mouse.

Top Bottom