• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Coldsun

Banned

It's not for the PC version though... its for the dolphin emulated Wii version. While his FAQ says he'll port his work over, I wouldn't get excited till progress is actually made for the PC

How do you have so many herbs? I just reached the island and I have lots of ammo but no herbs. I guess I get hit way too much. Here's my inventory for comparison. Weapons on top, ammo down below. My OCD knows no bounds with this game
LLShC.gif
Dunno, guess you play this game enough and you get pretty good at not getting hit. I also don't mind restarting a checkpoint every now and then.

Here's the thread for it. Show him some kind words of encouragement!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757346

He also said he'll be shifting focus over to the PC version once someone finds away to texture mod it. Right now he's working with the game on Dolphin due to ease of dumping the original textures to work off of.

Grief.exe

Dunno, guess you play this game enough and you get pretty good at not getting hit. I also don't mind restarting a checkpoint every now and then.

Here's the thread for it. Show him some kind words of encouragement!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757346

He also said he'll be shifting focus over to the PC version once someone finds away to texture mod it. Right now he's working with the game on Dolphin due to ease of dumping the original textures to work off of.

That is good he is working on the dolphin version as the geometry will be the same. Love the work so far.
Crisp, but sticks to the source material.

I hope texture mods are able actually replace the textures without the need for texmod. That always destroyed my performance when using it in the Mass Effect games.

AkuMifune

Banned
So playing at 60fps not only screws up the AI, but also the QTE's on controller?

The final mine cart jump + climb is apparently impossible on controller in 60fps, you have to drop it down to 30.

Really? This version is really disappointing as is. Maybe people glossing over these issues cause mods, but damn.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So playing at 60fps not only screws up the AI, but also the QTE's on controller?

The final mine cart jump + climb is apparently impossible on controller in 60fps, you have to drop it down to 30.

Really? This version is really disappointing as is. Maybe people glossing over these issues cause mods, but damn.

Had no problem with that QTE (or any prior) at 60fps.

doowrah

When I saw the rerelease news, my immediate reaction was to buy a Gamecube and play the original version on the console it was designed for.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A lot of people having issues on the Steam boards.

I'm sure lots of people are having all kinds of problems. It's just that the way you phrased it implied it was a global problem inherent to 60fps mode in this port.

Or maybe I am experiencing the problem but I'm just so damn good at QTEs...?

News Bot

Banned
A lot of people having issues on the Steam boards.

That explains a few things. The last cart bit and the Robo-Salazar jump were infuriating. Had to bash the controller for dear life, whereas before it was comfortable.

Really shoddy work. A lot of animations were completely untouched, too. Rifle reloads in particular, and some frames of other animations (such as the emergence of the centipede Plaga from a Ganado's head). They need a patch.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Those are two things I hope get touched on in the big update that Capcom is currently working on. The minecart section and the rifle animation load. The Minecart section is a lot harder when running at 60 FPS as it is.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm sure lots of people are having all kinds of problems. It's just that they way you phrased it implied it was a global problem inherent to 60fps mode in this port.

Or maybe I am experiencing the problem but I'm just so damn good at QTEs...?

Maybe I should re-install it? But so many other people having the exact same issue. I know for sure it's impossible for me to progress in the game further without going to an earlier save and dropping it to 30fps, that seems pretty crappy. Maybe other people don't mind floating weapons, spinning enemies, or broken QTE's, but all these things plus the spotty textures and missing lighting assets makes me a sad boy!

But all the other moments when it's working right feels great. I don't want to go back to 30fps again! Like swimming in vaseline.

Pedersen

That minecart climb QTE made me so incredibly angry! I tried 7-8 times and could not fucking do it. After the 8th time I consulted the steam forums and someone there had made a script where i could just hold P and that fortunately did it. QTE's are the worst.

Wow, that sucks that that's a problem. I only ever had issues with X + A QTEs where sometimes it just seemed like they didn't register, resulting in very annoying deaths in
the Krauser knife cutscene and battle, as Leon and later both Adas
. The anger I felt...

How does 60 FPS mess with the AI, btw?

Miker

Yup, minecart climb QTE failed for me once last night. Second time I mashed like crazy and it worked. No problem with the Salazar statue though, probably because I mashed extra hard just in case. The X+A QTEs have been the least consistent for me though; L+R is fine.

Grief.exe

What does 60 FPS do to the AI?

When I saw the rerelease news, my immediate reaction was to buy a Gamecube and play the original version on the console it was designed for.

At least play it in Dolphin and clean up the visuals a bit.

Yup, minecart climb QTE failed for me once last night. Second time I mashed like crazy and it worked. No problem with the Salazar statue though, probably because I mashed extra hard just in case. The X+A QTEs have been the least consistent for me though; L+R is fine.

I'm playing with M/KB, but I just mash both prompts whenever I see them.

The windows do seem very small though.

Curufinwe

I'm almost at that part and playing with the 360 pad, so I'll be watching out for this.

TheUsual

Gold Member
FWIW I've had 0 QTE issues so far, just mash X+A or LT+RT for the moment if need be.

The LT+RT QTEs I've had zero issues with, but there's something with the X+A QTEs. It seems like the time to input the command is a smaller window than LT+RT and sometimes a lack of recognition.

EDIT:
I'm playing at 60FPS with a 360 controller. I had no problems with the Mines and getting out. However, I do feel there's an bug with the QTEs involving X+A.

For those that used the Rocket Launcher on the giant hive: I destroyed it with 26 Red9 shots.

I had to use the RL on the two Garradores. Fuck that part on Pro. Seriously. I tried so many different ways until I just cheesed the fuck out of it.

Grief.exe

I haven't seen any effect of 60fps doing anything to the AI.

I don't see how it would.

For those that used the Rocket Launcher on the giant hive: I destroyed it with 26 Red9 shots.

I had to use the RL on the two Garradores. Fuck that part on Pro. Seriously. I tried so many different ways until I just cheesed the fuck out of it.

I was wondering about that part, would be so tough on pro.

Did you try the Broken Butterfly?

Serious biznuss guys, I'm doing a pro run (currently just after the house defense part), should I go for the semi auto sniper or bolt action ? Considering I'm pretty good at getting headshots.

kodecraft

Serious biznuss guys, I'm doing a pro run (currently just after the house defense part), should I go for the semi auto sniper or bolt action ? Considering I'm pretty good at getting headshots.

Auto-sniper.

Bolt-action has to reload after every shot, unless you're just into wild wild west movies this sucks. I like my aim and shot to be consistent.

I was wondering about that part, would be so tough on pro.

Did you try the Broken Butterfly?
The RL only killed one of them (I shot both at the same time), so I used the Broken Butterfly to finish off the second, yeah. Didn't want to take any chances.

I used the bolt-action rifle till I got to the Castle when the semi becomes available and sold it. I never once upgraded it, though, and it helped a lot regardless.

AkuMifune

Banned
What does 60 FPS do to the AI?

I haven't seen any effect of 60fps doing anything to the AI.

All the enemies have been acting weird for me. Spinning in circles, not opening doors that they usually do, not climbing up ladders, like the collision detection is off.

I'm not saying it is the 60fps, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out anything else that was changed since the 360 HD version a year ago that had none of these issues.

Though I haven't searched on this one, it's more annoying than game breaking.

Grief.exe

All right thanks.

#realtalk

Guess I will use the semi for my pro run. I'll probably just not buy the regular one and save the inventory space.

All the enemies have been acting weird for me. Spinning in circles, not opening doors that they usually do, not climbing up ladders, like the collision detection is off.

I'm not saying it is the 60fps, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out anything else that was changed since the 360 HD version a year ago that had none of these issues.

Haven't seen that issue reported, may just be unique to your system.

andthebeatgoeson

I've been studying the last few days, really derailed my progress.

As soon as I get done, Professional time.

Sorry, meant, is this your first time playing the game?

Haven't seen spinning enemies, but the number of times I've been 1 foot to the left/right of a stunned enemy and they are still in front of me and not given the chance to kick/suplex them is throwing me off. I've died too many times from this. But blame KB/M and probably the game as well.

andthebeatgoeson

Pretty much.

I played it on PS2 about a decade ago, but not sure if I beat the game to be honest. I remember up to the Krauser fight.

Then I re-emphasize, time would be best spent beating the game. And, you may get sucked into another round. Beating the game does nothing to tire you out. I have not met/talked to one person who has only played this game once. I always play with overpowered weapons (Infinite rocketlauncher, chicago typewriter, etc) and still love the game. Going thru with upgraded weapons is still a blast.

Then I re-emphasize, time would be best spent beating the game. And, you may get sucked into another round. Beating the game does nothing to tire you out. I have not met/talked to one person who has only played this game once. I always play with overpowered weapons (Infinite rocketlauncher, chicago typewriter, etc) and still love the game. Going thru with upgraded weapons is still a blast.
Honestly, I never felt compelled to replay 4 on Wii. I just beat it the once and that was that. I didn't even finish Separate Ways or do Assignment Ada or even played Mercenaries that much. I enjoyed the game but wasn't crazy about it.

I don't know why I wasn't too thrilled with the game back then, but now I love it. I immediately played Assignment Ada and Separate Ways after finishing it, then started up a Pro run. Though I was disappointed I wouldn't be able to have OP weapons right off the bat since they cost money and it would have only applied to Normal.

But, yeah, I definitely appreciate the game more now than I ever did before. The music is so damn good. I hate that I never really noticed back then, especially since video game music is my thing. I'll say it again, but I'm glad it came with the OST <3 Salazar's boss theme is fucking awesome.

AkuMifune

Banned
I think I have seen some spinning enemies.

It only happened to me twice, but stood out right away. Floating weapons is a more common occurrence, as are enemies getting stuck on doors and ladders. I'm just not sure if knowing this game so well makes these things obvious, or it I'm having these errors for some other reason.

Someone send out the CVX signal.

JRW

I've noticed sometimes enemies won't respond to my presence like I remember.. they just stand there looking at me until i'm a couple feet in front of them

Only happened a couple times but thats enough to consider it an issue.

Unpopular opinion incoming, but, im kinda not really enjoying this all that much and i think the cracks are starting to show in the gameplay nowadays. Fucking Ashley is so god damn useless, and a total chore to have to look after. The game would be so much better off without her. The tank controls are really showing their age. As much as people rag on RE6, its controls are fantastic and going back to this sluggish tank shit is just..ugh. I loved this to death when it came out but i gotta say, revisiting it hasnt been as kind to it as i thought it would be.

Almighty

Well I am fucked as I have ran out of ammo and am now stuck. What really sucks is that I am only a few sub chapters from the end. While I have played it before I never got further then just barely reaching the castle until now so this was pretty much my first time. I think I am just going to admit defeat and go play Shadowrun: Dragonfall now.

Well I am fucked as I have ran out of ammo and am now stuck. What really sucks is that I am only a few sub chapters from the end. While I have played it before I never got further then just barely reaching the castle until now so this was pretty much my first time. I think I am just going to admit defeat and go play Shadowrun: Dragonfall now.
What part are you on? You could try running away or upgrading guns' capacity for a little more ammo, buying new guns, buying a rocket launcher, using the knife, etc.

Almighty

What part are you on? You could try running away or upgrading guns' capacity for a little more ammo, buying new guns, buying a rocket launcher, using the knife, etc.

Right before IT.
Anyway I guess hope isn't lost as I just read a walkthrough that has a strategy that might work. We shall see how it goes.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Unpopular opinion incoming, but, im kinda not really enjoying this all that much and i think the cracks are starting to show in the gameplay nowadays. Fucking Ashley is so god damn useless, and a total chore to have to look after. The game would be so much better off without her. The tank controls are really showing their age. As much as people rag on RE6, its controls are fantastic and going back to this sluggish tank shit is just..ugh. I loved this to death when it came out but i gotta say, revisiting it hasnt been as kind to it as i thought it would be.

I played both 5 and 6 before 4, and I think 6 is the worst, control and gameplay wise. Feels shallow and light, 4 and 5 feel distinctly heavy, which is what I love about them.

Top Bottom