• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

andthebeatgoeson

Some people are having trouble with the game not switching over from integrated graphics. Not sure if that is your issue, but you might try forcing it.

Also, turn off in-game AA, its terribly unoptimized.

I got used to them in about 5-10 minutes.
That was it. Thanks. Forced it to high performance mode. Now I'm just getting used to KB&M controls.

Unai

Why would you save the yellow herb health? being that they increase your total health pool. Whenever I need to heal, I always make sure I use the yellow ones first before anything.

<edit> Bass takes up waaaaay to much space. I always sell that bitch.

now eggs.....eggs are a different story.

Those herbs are there because the others were sold to make room for ammo!

ew, a tmp user...

TMP is fantastic. This is actually my first playthrough without it.

andthebeatgoeson

Excellent!

Of course, any past experience with RE4 does nothing for KB and M controls. I'm a newbie all over. That may be a good thing. Ever hear people say they wish they could play a game for the first time? Everybody, try KB&M. Took me 30 minutes to get to the save point right after the first village confrontation. And I restarted a few things. Switched Run to the middle mouse button. Was running scared for my life with my heart beating with each rev of the chain saw. Never really saw too much of Leon limping the other 15 times I've played it. Well done, Cacpcom, well done.

Unai

Of course, any past experience with RE4 does nothing for KB and M controls. I'm a newbie all over. That may be a good thing. Ever hear people say they wish they could play a game for the first time? Everybody, try KB&M. Took me 30 minutes to get to the save point right after the first village confrontation. And I restarted a few things. Switched Run to the middle mouse button. Was running scared for my life with my heart beating with each rev of the chain saw. Never really saw too much of Leon limping the other 15 times I've played it. Well done, Cacpcom, well done.

My professional playthrough will be with KB&M. I'll start it as soon as capcom fix the mouse acceleration bug.

Ok, either I'm awful at this game (or incredible...? The "dynamic difficulty" is confusing me) or everyone else is getting INSANE drops for ammo all the time. I thought I was sitting pretty with ~50 pistol rounds and ~25 shotgun shells...

This apparent dynamic difficulty is super weird and it's even weirder that I never noticed it before when playing on the Gamecube.

Grief.exe

Ok, either I'm awful at this game (or incredible...? The "dynamic difficulty" is confusing me) or everyone else is getting INSANE drops for ammo all the time. I thought I was sitting pretty with ~50 pistol rounds and ~25 shotgun shells...

This apparent dynamic difficulty is super weird and it's even weirder that I never noticed it before when playing on the Gamecube.

Chapter 3 just chews through ammo. I have a surplus still, but chapter 3 impacted my stores immensely.

If you are anywhere near there, prepare to be lower. This is essentially my first time through the game, I try to mimize my ammo usage as much as possible through melee.

def sim

I'm assuming some (most?) of us who've played this before are doing the "run up, trigger lunge animation, walk back, run up and knife face, kick" method against the ganados to save ammo. It's kind of a habit after having played this game so many times.

Chapter 3 just chews through ammo. I have a surplus still, but chapter 3 impacted my stores immensely.

If you are anywhere near there, prepare to be lower. This is essentially my first time through the game, I try to mimize my ammo usage as much as possible through melee.

Believe me, I'm always going for kicks, the suplex and the knife. I'm in 4-3 and have pretty much had a relatively low amount of ammo the entire time. My accuracy rating has been between 85-90% for each chapter so far, does that impact item drops?

Grief.exe

I'm assuming some (most?) of us who've played this before are doing the "run up, trigger lunge animation, walk back, run up and knife face, kick" method against the ganados to save ammo. It's kind of a habit after having played this game so many times.

Lol

Save the bullet.

def sim

Lol

Save the bullet.

It adds up! You use the knife to finish them off so no bullets used at all. Using this method in the earlier, bigger fights like the one right after meeting the merchant helps a bunch. It's mostly for a professional run, but it helps if you want to hoard ammo on any difficulty.

Believe me, I'm always going for kicks, the suplex and the knife. I'm in 4-3 and have pretty much had a relatively low amount of ammo the entire time. My accuracy rating has been between 85-90% for each chapter so far, does that impact item drops?
Same here. It definitely doesn't feel like I'm bad at the game, but I'm at the castle and I never had more than two packs of ammo for any of my weapons. Not that I ever needed more, but I'm confused by the insane amount of ammo in the screenshots.

Grief.exe

Same here. It definitely doesn't feel like I'm bad at the game, but I'm at the castle and I never had more than two packs of ammo for any of my weapons. Not that I ever needed more, but I'm confused by the insane amount of ammo in the screenshots.

Inventories from people who have played the game >10 times.

Its so awesome that we have a competent PC port of this title now. Thinking about replaying the game down the line with new hardware and a 4K monitor.

using the knife with m/k is garbage tho

Unai

Finally!!! Not bad, I`d say.

1782442_742671135751324_1508329790_o.jpg

Well, I shooting them in the head first, just to make sure! But that is a good ideia.

Is that delay not present when using the controller?

There is no delay with the controller.

I don't see why you wouldn't use it. Great for preserving ammo in other weapons to stun basic enemies.

Also, at least seems to me, has great DPS when you mag dump into a boss. Especially early on.

it's a great weapon in mercs as it really helps combos continue.....it's why Jill was so powerful in RE5 mercs...

but, in the regular game, it's just a waste of space when you can just use the Red 9 for anything the TMP would do.

Best thing TMP is good at is killing gigante. its damn near OP against Gigante (compared to the normal weapons).

but other than that, it's redundant if you have a upgraded red 9.

Well, I shooting them in the head first, just to make sure! But that is a good ideia.

I'm more of a shoot at the feet/legs, then X.

but it's cause I played so much of mercs mode in RE5 in 360, and that was the main strat.

JRW

Whoa, that seems like a quite big graphical downgrade on pc. I was never a supporter of the belt buckle glow community, but in this instance the downgrade seems substantial. In your image comparison the atmosphere is totally changed between GC and PC.

Ya maybe the missing glow effects can be added later via modding, but It's not a deal breaker I'm really enjoying the 60fps gameplay + 360 controller combo, especially now that I've gotten used to the games unique controls again (been years since playing through Cube's version).

ChapaNDJ

Banned
All achievements unlocked.

ACd1lwq.png

I had a blast playing it after like, 7 years i suppose since i've last played it.
It feels like i re-discovered the game and played a much superior version than the one i had in PS2.
All in all, Capcom did a tremendous job with the Steam edition.

def sim

Is that delay not present when using the controller?

The brief time I played with the DS4 gave me no knife delay. I had other issues, though it sounds like I needed to check off "hide controller" on SCP. Anyway, I hope to see a patch soon; I prefer m/kb even with the glitch.

A knife to the face will always put them into the kick state. Definitely go for that when you can.

I had a blast playing it after like, 7 years i suppose since i've last played it.
It feels like i re-discovered the game and played a much superior version than the one i had in PS2.

Very nice! I'm going to take my time getting there; I played the hd console version to completion just last year. It must have been really nice playing this after all these years.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Is anyone else experiencing problems with the X+A prompt for QTEs on a 360 pad? It outright doesn't work for me most of the time.

Rnr1224

is it worth it to use the yellow herbs to increase ashley's health? its been at its starting point till now (im at 5-2) but im curious if its worth it to increase hers rather than mine

is it worth it to use the yellow herbs to increase ashley's health? its been at its starting point till now (im at 5-2) but im curious if its worth it to increase hers rather than mine

Not really, imo. I never upgrade her health and the only time she's ever taken damage are when the flail guys hit me.

Grief.exe

ACd1lwq.png

Great work! I'm working my way towards a 100% completion rate in this game myself.

I don't really see the point.

You are not with her for large portions of the game and she rarely takes damage.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the X+A prompt for QTEs on a 360 pad? It outright doesn't work for me most of the time.

Yep, they seem to work only a quarter of the time.

Also, holy crap I had forgotten how many chainsaw guys they throw at you during the mine part! There had to be five or six in total.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I had sooo much ammo at pretty much every point in the game. I was shocked at how much ammo gets thrown at you on Normal. I was almost always starved for space. At one point I had to sell off 6 First Aid Sprays at once. This was my inventory right before the last boss fight.

Seeing that scope in front of the magnum, I thought it was a silencer and thought that was the dopest shit I'd ever seen.

Rnr1224

so my game crashed as soon as i opened the last door (or what i think is the last door) at the section after you beat krauser with the helicopter covering you. it happened as soon as i pushed the button to proceed. now i gotta start all the way back at the typewriter! urggg lets hope it doesnt happen again!

EDIT: didnt happen again thank god. i would have hated not being able to proceed so close to the end

hell no.

ashley should never be getting hit. only reason to give her yellow herbs is if u wanna go thru a play through where u want her to get hit to make it more challenging i guess?

other than that.. there really is no reason.

I love the gunplay in this game too much to not at least shoot them in the face and knee. I do well enough with ammo conservation, even with liberal use of my guns.

Almost all of my deaths this time around were from failing the X+A QTEs. I just got into a habit of mashing LT+RT+X+A and it seemed to work. I feel like sometimes the X+A prompt is wrong and should actually be LT+RT.

Seeing that scope in front of the magnum, I thought it was a silencer and thought that was the dopest shit I'd ever seen.
Haha, it'd actually be cool if RE4 had silencer attachments for guns.

Rnr1224

beat the game and holy hell was that a wild ride! now i finally understand all the praise RE4 has gotten! now onto the bonus content!

def sim

I love the gunplay in this game too much to not at least shoot them in the face and knee. I do well enough with ammo conservation, even with liberal use of my guns.

Oh, definitely. It's an example of how people are able to have so much ammo. Earlier there were some dudes in here wondering how and I thought I would share one of the older tricks in RE games.

It's also really only meant for professional and, even then, its purpose is to horde ammo between the bigger fights.

it's a great weapon in mercs as it really helps combos continue.....it's why Jill was so powerful in RE5 mercs...

Is it? I'm pretty sure Ada's pistol kills in three body shots max, and the only reason it doesn't cripple HUNK completely is because he has that insta-kill neck break.

Is it? I'm pretty sure Ada's pistol kills in three body shots max, and the only reason it doesn't cripple HUNK completely is because he has that insta-kill neck break.

it's good cause of how easy it stuns to allow you to X it up.

the reason it was so strong in re5 mercs with jill tho was because she had a insta kill melee type move and the TMP weapon made it easy to stun to set up the move.

TMP absolutely WRECKS El Gigante. Easily the best weapon against them. It's not really worth using against regular mobs. Either Red 9 or a shotgun is better. Save the magnum ammo for the bosses, ESPECIALLY Salazar when he comes out of his cocoon.

Mine Launcher feels super useless, but I never really stuck with it. And I haven't bought it in my last couple of playthroughs.

OriginX

Third I've bought this installment and I'm falling in love with it all over again. Except, I had to turn the motion blur off -- it was extremely nauseating. Was the motion blur always that intense on the Gamecube and PS2? I don't remember it ever being that extreme.

Also on the PC version I wish there was a way you could adjust your look sensitivity if you're playing with a controller. Just feels a tad slow when aiming. Those are my only two complaints so far and game absolutely looks beautiful.

Top Bottom