• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

OriginX

anyone here content playing on keyboard and mouse?

I don't think it's that bad at all

I tried to initially but the mouse acceleration destroyed that experience for me so I switched to my XBOX 360 controller. The look sensitivity with the controller still feels really slow and sucks you can't adjust it, but it's much more bearable than what I was experiencing with my mouse.

legacyzero

Banned
anyone here content playing on keyboard and mouse?

I don't think it's that bad at all

The strange pauses in the controls are very strange. Like pushing the button to aim, there's that 1 second pause where Leon is unresponsive.

Is it like that with controllers too?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The strange pauses in the controls are very strange. Like pushing the button to aim, there's that 1 second pause where Leon is unresponsive.

Is it like that with controllers too?

I've noticed it only happens if I try to aim up or down. I can immediately aim left or right after bringing up my weapon, though.

No such problem with the 360 pad.

MORT1S

Did you guys see this?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/

Some dude made the GC shader effects like specular shine and bump maps work in this new "ULTIMATE" HD version. Says he did it in 2 hours without access to the game files.
He also claims that this new version has fucked gamma, causing blown out midtones & banding.

Interesting...

Though, I have noticed that this PC version didn't seem to be lacking the effect to the extent of the PS3/360 versions.

The church key, Leon's straps, Ashley's belt, Bitorres' Eye, among others all seem to have some level of of the effect applied by default.

Did you guys see this?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700...9824294678385/

Some dude made the GC shader effects like specular shine and bump maps work in this new "ULTIMATE" HD version. Says he did it in 2 hours without access to the game files.
He also claims that this new version has fucked gamma, causing blown out midtones & banding.
While I'm very happy to just play this, maaaaan, this would be great! Will mod or (hopefully) receive official inclusion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As it stands the most visually/presentation "perfect" version of the game is Wii on Dolphin. All shader effects implemented, able to run at high resolutions with great texture filtering, and modable for better textures. Controls really well too, unless you insist on mouse and keyboard. No missing content.

Downside: expensive to render due to emulation, and you're locked at 30fps. 60fps is sooooooooo gooooooooood.

are the separate ways cutscenes supposed to be in SD? they look especially bad when coming from the HD gameplay.

Yep. Separate Ways was made for the PS2 version, and there all game cutscenes weren't in-engine but encoded video. When they moved the complete version across to the Wii and HD editions, they returned the GCN build's real time cutscenes for the main game, but couldn't do much about Separate Ways.

Rnr1224

Yep. Separate Ways was made for the PS2 version, and there all game cutscenes weren't in-engine but encoded video. When they moved the complete version across to the Wii and HD editions, they returned the GCN build's real time cutscenes for the main game, but couldn't do much about Separate Ways.

Ah now i understand. thats a shame :(

Curufinwe

I noticed a couple of hideous wall textures near the garden maze, but I'm still having a great time on my 5th version of the game.

Two deaths so far and I'm up to 4-1. The second Garrador chopped my head off even though I was out of the cage. I foolishly tried to reload after shooting a monk and he ran right to me.

I tried to initially but the mouse acceleration destroyed that experience for me so I switched to my XBOX 360 controller. The look sensitivity with the controller still feels really slow and sucks you can't adjust it.

But I don't think you ever could adjust the look sensitivity in any RE game? I don't know about re6 tho.

With that said, the game would be a bit to easy if the look sensitivity on the controller was faster perhaps....
Part of the challenge in resident evil has always been doing well with the crappy controls/slow inhuman like turning and looking. LoL. That's what makes RE, RE.

<edit> I forgot how awesome level 5.4 was... So good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Guys, the difficulty doesn't have to be perfectly tuned.

If people want to play the game with a different aiming sensitivty, or wider field of view, or proper mouse controls, they're not wrong ways to play.

It's okay if the game becomes easier as a result. People should be able to play the game as they want and using the excuse of "It might make it too easy" as an excuse to not put in reasonably expectable features is sort of bunk.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So, what's the verdict concerning Knight and Gangster costumes on cutscenes? Do they work or not?

The cutscenes are realtime so they should appear in cutscenes, though I haven't personally played to see.

OriginX

But I don't think you ever could adjust the look sensitivity in any RE game? I don't know about re6 tho.

With that said, the game would be a bit to easy if the look sensitivity on the controller was faster perhaps....
Part of the challenge in resident evil has always been doing well with the crappy controls/slow inhuman like turning and looking. LoL. That's what makes RE, RE.

<edit> I forgot how awesome level 5.4 was... So good.

No you weren't able to adjust it previously either, but it just feels slower than what it should. I mean that could be completely my imagination, but I don't remember having thinking it felt slow when I played it originally on my GCN and PS2. That was years ago though so who really knows.

def sim

The cutscenes are realtime so they should appear in cutscenes, though I haven't personally played to see.

Those costumes use the PS2 models and no cutscene animations were made for them. That's what I've been told a while back, anyhow.

It's the same for the HD console and Wii versions.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Those costumes use the PS2 models and no cutscene animations were made for them. That's what I've been told a while back, anyhow.

It's the same for the HD console and Wii versions.

I guess that makes sense, but you think they'd just apply the already existing animations to the new models - clipping be damned.

As it stands the most visually/presentation "perfect" version of the game is Wii on Dolphin. All shader effects implemented, able to run at high resolutions with great texture filtering, and modable for better textures. Controls really well too, unless you insist on mouse and keyboard. No missing content.

Downside: expensive to render due to emulation, and you're locked at 30fps. 60fps is sooooooooo gooooooooood.

don't forget the weird scaling problems. you CAN over come them if you downsample, but you can't run native widescreen resolutions with the Wii version in Dolphin.

Not that we think we're getting native resolutions in this version though, but it looks like we're a couple of tweaks away from something closer to the ideal situation if the specular highlights can come back, and if FOV can come back (though in that regard, I think no one wants the effect to be identical to how it was).

def sim

I guess that makes sense, but you think they'd just apply the already existing animations to the new models - clipping be damned.

I wonder if that's something that can be modded in eventually. Along with possibly adding specular highlights, I'd love it if the community can turn this into the de facto definitive edition.

Really glad to hear about the possibility of a mod for the specular effects. Like super glad. Once we get texture modding in, I'll probably see about modding the icons to the gcn version and plug in my Gamecub controller. Gonna be sweet.

Did you guys see this?

And another episode of "Japanese developer beaten by a random dude on the internet" Why couldn't Capcom do this? I hope someone at Capcom and/or Q-Loc is embarrassed.

Anyway it's cool he managed to fix specular highlights. Props to him

ViFLYxQ.jpg

Well duh. Gamma problems.
You know what to do Capcom.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
And another episode of "Japanese developer beaten by a random dude on the internet" Why couldn't Capcom do this? I hope someone at Capcom and/or Q-Loc is embarrassed.

Anyway it's cool he managed to fix specular highlights. Props to him

Well duh. Gamma problems.
You know what to do Capcom.

I don't think we know enough to say way they weren't able to do it.

Part of it may be that since the method of implementing specular highlights is specific to the Gamecube/Wii hardware, they're not allowed to use that same method as its something belonging to Nintendo and they'd have to implment it in a new way.

The modder claims he just took the original shaders and implemented them - capcom may not have that liberty.

Part of it may be that since the method of implementing specular highlights is specific to the Gamecube/Wii hardware, they're not allowed to use that same method as its something belonging to Nintendo and they'd have to implment it in a new way.

The modder claims he just took the original shaders and implemented them - capcom may not have that liberty.

That could explain it of course. Well, if Capcom isn't allowed to implement this effect I'm happy with a mod too.
But they could at least fix the other problems the game has.
I doubt Nintendo has the rights to a non-buggy version of this game.

Can someone upload a save file of the game 50% through? I'd love to beat this one day but I don't want to play the first half for the billionth time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That could explain it of course. Well, if Capcom isn't allowed to implement this effect I'm happy with a mod too.
But they could at least fix the other problems the game has.
I doubt Nintendo has the rights to a non-buggy version of this game.

They absolutely should fix the other stuff, but when theres things like "A single modder could fix it in 2 hours of futzing" coming from a publisher who has done some pretty great PC ports, it seems like there would be more going on behind the scenes other than "We just couldn't figure it out!"

Grief.exe

Maybe Nintendo shared middleware that interfaced with their hardware for those effects. Middleware is legally bound to Nintendo hardware.

Seems plausible.

Grief.exe

different guns have different sensitivity right? the blacktail feels like it turns faster than the handgun

I think that's the case. Makes it even more difficult to be accurate when you have to account for acceleration and different sensitivities.

I'm up to 4-3 did they fix the rifle reload animations or is it just the area I'm in?

Don't think they have issued a patch yet.

OriginX

I think I have definitely screw myself in 3-1. In the massive room that comes soon after you kill the prison garrador, I am getting my ass handed to me again and again. Almost no ammo, no money, and this is proving to be very frustrating. I don't remember having a problem here before, but with my lack of money and ammo it's near impossible. With the little ammo in pots and what the enemies drop running out within 4-5 kills, I can't possible knife them all down while dodging arrows and protecting Ashley's ass. Feels bad man.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, it's hard to speak of Capcom's situation in regards to shaders and easy modder implementation without knowing the details of how it works. I'm fairly certain the GCN/Wii usage required licensing of proprietary tools/hardware and thus Capcom would not be legally able to use that technology in the PC/360/PS3 port even if it works fairly easily and modders are able to hack it in. Hence why they use the whole "approximated" thing for most shaders.

Would have been nice if they'd spent the time to "approximate" everything instead of bits and pieces, but I'm still under the belief that Resident Evil 4 HD is running on a mangled version of the original build's engine and that the PC/360/PS3 build is a weird hybrid of emulation and porting. Trying to hack in entirely new shader libraries and customising them for the game might have been more work than Capcom was willing to pay for, on an achaic engine difficult to work with.

scitek

I think I have definitely screw myself in 3-1. In the massive room that comes soon after you kill the prison garrador, I am getting my ass handed to me again and again. Almost no ammo, no money, and this is proving to be very frustrating. I don't remember having a problem here before, but with my lack of money and ammo it's near impossible. With the little ammo in pots and what the enemies drop running out within 4-5 kills, I can't possible knife them all down while dodging arrows and protecting Ashley's ass. Feels bad man.

That's my least favorite room in the game. It takes so fucking long to get through for me each time. I have a routine, though:

- Enter the room with the rifle, take out the three guys in front of me, and the two crossbow guys on the balconies before getting hit from the sides (always a close call and fun as a result).

- Run forward, hide out in that room with the floor plates, wait for enemies to come in and clear them out one by one. Then, step on the plates, and bring up the crank.

- When the room's quiet, run out of the room and back in, clear the few guys that respawn, then use the crank. No guys come down the stairs.

- Boost Ashley to the cranks, protect her and proceed to the end of the room.

This room particularly sucks ass on Dolphin because there's a bug where if you step on the floor plates before Ashley does, the game freezes. You have to get next to the plate and slowly back her onto it without touching it yourself, then proceed to the other one and hope the crank activates or you'll have to do it all again...smh

EDIT: I actually left off on that part last lol. I'm streaming it now on my pro run. I don't have the rifle, either, so this should be fun.

http://www.twitch.tv/itsdonallen

OriginX

- Run forward, hide out in that room with the floor plates, wait for enemies to come in and clear them out one by one. Then, step on the plates, and bring up the crank.

I actually found this by mistake a few minutes ago: If you make Ashley stand to the right of the door in the corner then when the cultists come in, they will attempt to go after Ashley and get stuck on the open door trying to run to her. It doesn't help me any because I don't have any damn ammo, but if I did, they are in the perfect position to get headshot after headshot effortlessly.

One + for this version that people haven't seemed to mention is the loading....

Yea, I know it's because it is installed but still....the barely any loading is so satisfying..

I watched a vid online of RE4, don't know whether it was GC or Wii but holy shit....the loading seemed like forever after playing this Steam version. (I didn't really notice it back in the day, but after playing it on PC this whole time....now I do). With that said, the person playing was running past enemies and skipping everything (Speed run) so that's probably also why it seemed like loading was forever because it was more frequent.

JRW

Did you guys see this?

Yea it's kind of sad you can play the Wii version via Dolphin emulator on PC @ 1080p with all the missing effects in-tact, I was just playing it earlier the only downside is getting used to 30fps again (plus you need a decent PC for full speed emulation).

You can enable gamepad controls by pressing Alt-F5 at the RE4 title screen (disables wiimote & enables gamepad, in my case a 360 controller).

I had sooo much ammo at pretty much every point in the game. I was shocked at how much ammo gets thrown at you on Normal. I was almost always starved for space. At one point I had to sell off 6 First Aid Sprays at once. This was my inventory right before the last boss fight.

How do you have so many herbs? I just reached the island and I have lots of ammo but no herbs. I guess I get hit way too much. Here's my inventory for comparison. Weapons on top, ammo down below. My OCD knows no bounds with this game
LLShC.gif

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z7uonn4.jpg[/IMG]

rtcn63

How do you have so many herbs? I just reached the island and I have lots of ammo but no herbs. I guess I get hit way too much.

The second half of the game throws herbs/first aid sprays at you like mad. (I'd often sell a few to clear up inventory) Ammo isn't much of a problem either if you've upgraded your guns.

OriginX

I have choice paralysis right now, don't know whether to play RE4 or South Park.

I truly love Resident Evil 4, but if you have already played the game I would go with the stick of truth for now. Then pick up RE4 when Capcom releases a patch that fixes some the problems a lot of people are having right now. HOWEVER, if you have never played RE4, I highly suggest getting it. Or you could just get both. ^_^

Grief.exe

I truly love Resident Evil 4, but if you have already played the game I would go with the stick of truth for now. Then pick up RE4 when Capcom releases a patch that fixes some the problems a lot of people are having right now. HOWEVER, if you have never played RE4, I highly suggest getting it. Or you could just get both. ^_^

I have both right now! I'm like 75% thourgh RE4 and 25% through South Park.

Ok so in separate ways they just use the low res SD cutscenes.....WTF!?

It's a small thing but damn is it ever ugly...

Separate Ways originally premiered on PS2 and didn't have real-time cut scenes at all.

andthebeatgoeson

I have both right now! I'm like 75% thourgh RE4 and 25% through South Park.

Separate Ways originally premiered on PS2 and didn't have real-time cut scenes at all.

Grief: you never finished the game? Finish it, then. It's satisfying. You'll restart again, no doubt. One of the best new game +. Nothing like going thru with high powered weapons. Can't wait to get a infinite handcannon .

Grief.exe

Grief: you never finished the game? Finish it, then. It's satisfying. You'll restart again, no doubt. One of the best new game +. Nothing like going thru with high powered weapons. Can't wait to get a infinite handcannon .

I've been studying the last few days, really derailed my progress.

As soon as I get done, Professional time.

dreamfall

The first encounter with Verdugo remains one of the most terrifying gameplay experiences I've ever had. Knocking down tanks, shooting with imprecision, being stalked, you name it.

This go around it involved a single shot with the Rocket Launcher. 4th time through, but even seeing that enemy freaks me out with nostalgia.

Top Bottom