• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

L00P

It's fun to use and absurdly powerful. Once it has its exclusive, it also has infinite ammo. Technically, the Chicago Typewriter kills everything just as fast, but the HandCannon also kind of acts as proof of your Mercenaries completion.

I don't think I'll ever unlock the handcannon v_v

I simply cannot beat the Minecart QTE.

I think you've beaten me, RE4.

I've been stuck there too. That damn QTE and the one with the Salazar statue drove me crazy.

How much health you do you have left when you attempt the QTE btw? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your health affects the QTEs in some way. Try doing that QTE with full health.

I never found a way to reliably do the X+A QTEs at 60fps :( Had to quit out and switch to 30 for some parts.

But for the ones that involve mashing I did find that at 60fps if you start mashing the button before the prompt appears then I would get it no problem. It seems like the window opens up before the prompt appears, giving you roughly half the time to complete the action.

The only QTEs I get issues on are the ones that have anything to do with Krauser. Specifically the knife cutscene. I usually die two times before I'm lucky enough to have the game choose LT + RT instead of X+A. For some reason X+A's timing is extremely short for the second and third QTEs, but everything else seems okay for X+A in the same scene.

What part exactly? If it involves X+A on a 360 pad, it randomly doesn't work.

I've gotten much better results with the X+A QTE by dropping every input before pressing X+A exactly at the same time.

For the L+R QTE it seems like you can press other buttons and buffer it a bit, so pressing L a split second before R still registers it, while that is not true for the X+A QTE. Maybe I'm imagining it, but ever since I started doing it like this, I only missed one or two X+A QTEs.

TheDanger

Banned
If you wanna see skills, watch this. He plays through the entire game on pro using nothing but the knife, he keeps the handgun you have from the start and only uses it for things which are impossible to do with the knife(like shooting truck drivers, killing salazar etc.).

That's it, finished the game in pro. Without a doubt the best third person shooter I've ever played, too bad most of them are cover-based-whack-a-mole shooting galleries nowadays. Also, Krauser boss fight is right up there with the best.

E36A6DC45E2AAF3964AC717CCF355B31A07B1DB3

Looks like some progress is being made in figuring out how to extract the files from the LFS file format Capcom has used for this port.

But there seems to be another type of compression being applied to the texture files / other files. I'm definitely a complete newb in this area of things, but just wanted to share that it seems progress is being made. :)

Thief1987 is the one posting his progress here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?p=92949#p92949

I'm sitting on this game until we get the specular back in and the gamma fixed. This can and will become the definitive edition with a patch or two and a mod or two. I'm going to wait until then to play further.

Miker

I'm sitting on this game until we get the specular back in and the gamma fixed. This can and will become the definitive edition with a patch or two and a mod or two. I'm going to wait until then to play further.

Pretty much, although I've already beaten it, and I'm saving Assignment Ada/Separate Ways and maybe Mercs until it gets fixed up. Given the crazy shit that people came up with for the horrendous OG PC release, I think this version will end up being just fine.

Pretty much, although I've already beaten it, and I'm saving Assignment Ada/Separate Ways and maybe Mercs until it gets fixed up. Given the crazy shit that people came up with for the horrendous OG PC release, I think this version will end up being just fine.
specular was my big hope, but I didn't know if it was really feasible or not. now obviously we know it is, so it's only a matter of time until this is legitimately the best version.

def sim

I'll probably finish my run once the knife delay for kb/m is fixed next patch. I can do another once the modders complete their project.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Don't forget the missing dynamic lighting effects.

Curufinwe

1024x576.resizedimage

I died three times on the jetski (ugh) so I had worse than stats on my first 360 playthru in 2011. But that playthru took longer because it took me a lot more attempts to beat the shooting gallery. On the PC the shooting gallery seemed really easy, even using the controller.

360 - 17:19'25", 972 kills, 82% hit ratio, 11 deaths

On the PS2 in 2006 my hit ratio was a lot lower, probably because the PS2 left stick is not the best for aiming.

PS2 - 16:41'20", 960 kills, 76 % hit ratio, 20 deaths

Grief.exe

That's it, finished the game in pro. Without a doubt the best third person shooter I've ever played, too bad most of them are cover-based-whack-a-mole shooting galleries nowadays. Also, Krauser boss fight is right up there with the best.

I'm surprised you didn't see too many RE4-style clones at the time. Cover shooters aren't as dynamic as RE4.

Ouch. more salt for the pc port wound http://imgur.com/a/OxT5h#1

Why is he screenshotting with a phone?

JRW

Why is he screenshotting with a phone?

Couldn't get a direct screen capture from the Wii and it would look silly comparing it to a direct PC screenshot.

The photos are clear enough to show the lack of a certain lighting effect in PC version, the light fixture is lighting up the ceiling beams on Wii version.

dreamfall

Man, my end stats are going to be hilarious. I've died a bunch of times, mostly to failed X+C QTE button presses. And those Garradors, I swear I thought I knew the right approach...

The game is still totally wonderful. Got to complete that Chapter 5 ish soon!

Grief.exe

Couldn't get a direct screen capture from the Wii and it would look silly comparing it to a direct PC screenshot.

The photos are clear enough to show the lack of a certain lighting effect in PC version, the light fixture is lighting up the ceiling beams on Wii version.

I assumed he was using Dolphin and I initially thought they were the same monitor.

Man, my end stats are going to be hilarious. I've died a bunch of times, mostly to failed X+C QTE button presses. And those Garradors, I swear I thought I knew the right approach...

My stats are all over the place depending on how many, 'oh shit moments' come up. Some chapters I will have a 95% accuracy ratio, others will be at 60% lol.

The shadows and lit/unlit areas are still in place in the PC port. This place looks warmer in the Wii version while the PC version looks colder. The difference seems to be the dynamic glow that comes from the lamp and maybe the broken gamma also affects this scene in some way.

Just patch this Capcom.

Hopefully they can get that one work in down the line. Like the specular highlights, its not huge, but it adds to the atmosphere and visual appeal.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I noticed that the slowmo effect (aka framedropping) was significantly reduced for me after I went into the task manager and set CPU priority to high.

Akibared

Playing the waterworld map on mercs and keep getting a black screen anyone else running into this? I just wanna unlock wesker! :(

Lunaniem

My death count is too high from dying of stupidity at the catapult part. :c

For those that have played the PS3 and PC versions, question:

I've seen the PS3 version on youtube and it looks decent to me. I really want to play through this game again and I've been putting it off. If I get it on PS3, I can comfy couch it and my wife will want to play it as well.

If I get it on PC, it'll look way better but I've been hearing it doesn't play the greatest right now.

Is going with the PS3 version instead of this one a massive mistake for any other reason?

andthebeatgoeson

First gigante shows the qte's are off.
When slashing
, if you don't start immediately, you'll get thrown. You have to anticipate the button press and start early.

Grief.exe

Playing the waterworld map on mercs and keep getting a black screen anyone else running into this? I just wanna unlock wesker! :(

Yes the Waterworld map isn't working right. Patch will fix that though.

I've seen the PS3 version on youtube and it looks decent to me. I really want to play through this game again and I've been putting it off. If I get it on PS3, I can comfy couch it and my wife will want to play it as well.

If I get it on PC, it'll look way better but I've been hearing it doesn't play the greatest right now.

Is going with the PS3 version instead of this one a massive mistake for any other reason?

1) hook up PC to TV, or use Steam in home streaming from any device. Get best visuals, 60 FPS, and wife snuggling action.

2) Game plays fine, there are some minor issues that look to be fixed in an upcoming patch.
From what I have gathered, most of the outcry seems to be from delusional people calling for the inclusion of modern TPS controls over classic tank controls. A large amount of people seem to have unrealistic expectations of what should have been included in the port. I can't make this shit up, there are a high percentage of people who literally wanted Capcom to remaster the game's entire geometry and textures.

Those two issues basically make up the vast majority of complaints I see in threads and reviews. Frustrating to say the least.

3) MASSIVE MISTAKE

Ysiadmihi

Banned

What are the specs of your PC? If you can run the game at a locked 60fps, the PC version is unquestionably better.

Sectus

60fps feels nice, but if that isn't important to you, I'd go with PS3 version. The PC version is very buggy right now, so that makes it a bit hard to recommend.

Grief.exe

60fps feels nice, but if that isn't important to you, I'd go with PS3 version. The PC version is very buggy right now, so that makes it a bit hard to recommend.

Other than the in-game AA causing slowdowns and the negative mouse acceleration, I haven't encountered a single issue. Others seem to be on the same level.

The most egregious issue is the chapter 3 crash that a few people seem to be running into, and some of the QTE's not working quite correctly. Neither of which I have experienced.

Why is the metacritic score so low for this version? It's the same game as it was 9 years ago, nothing's changed. Are people reviewing it as a new game or something?

Unai

Why is the metacritic score so low for this version? It's the same game as it was 9 years ago, nothing's changed. Are people reviewing it as a new game or something?

Most people are dumb.

If you don't believe me, spend some minutes reading some threads in the Steam Forums.

Bugs will be patched, AA can be turned off or forced through your driver control panel, and mods will be come in time. You still get 60fps or 30fps, completely customizable resolution including the ability to downsample, and optional "HD" textures. The PS3 version will always be 720p at 30fps with no AA. Go for the PC version.

Top Bottom