• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Fantasmo

From the Steam thread less than an hour ago:

Sigma 53 minutes ago

Originally posted by Dakamurra:
HEY SIGMA CAN YOU ASK YOU TO MAKE A VIDEO of early leon starting game with specular effect on his jacket??, the gamecube has it, and wii, but this dont can you make it??
Here you go: https://mega.co.nz/#!sBNEARzL!ewFY0NNgOTiIt-aqxIZbdwX_vLbsufkvKOj5TWC2bBk

And here´s an extra: https://mega.co.nz/#!tEMhAZwa!t_It8hvc_RNGzTj86aqIu3mKHEHoi2Z3mS_9QcoWdXE

I see specular highlights on Leon's coat and belt, 60 fps, crappy water on the Waterworld map, and a post process switch mid-game.
Pretty hard to say he isn't legit at this point.

Unai

Keyboard controls are so hard to get used to!

I'm dying at the village area just because I'm not fast enough with the keyboard/mouse.

It's tough.

The mouse aim has negative mouse acceleration, meaning the faster you move your mouse in the real world, the less the aim will move in the screen. They said they fix it in the patch.

JRW

What am I supposed to see here? If I had to guess I would say the dynamic lighting glow is implemented here? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty sure its an untouched photo / no mods, Some of the interior lighting has the missing glow effect with the current unpatched Ultimate HD release.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well if a guy with no access to the source code can re-implement the missing shaders with the same visual result as on the original Gamecube, you gotta wonder wtf Capcom is doing.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So I take it the castle mercs (and waterworks?) being busted relates to a stopping in enemy appearance?

Ran around with 1:40 left, but suddenly no enemies were spawning at all, lol. Never got any claw mini-bosses spawned either, even though I went through the door that usually triggers them.

edit: Oh, the WW is a graphics glitch. Hmm.

Sectus

So I take it the castle mercs (and waterworks?) being busted relates to a stopping in enemy appearance?

Ran around with 1:40 left, but suddenly no enemies were spawning at all, lol. Never got any claw mini-bosses spawned either, even though I went through the door that usually triggers them.

edit: Oh, the WW is a graphics glitch. Hmm.

Yeah, that's the glitches. They're gonna be fixed in the upcoming patch, so you might as well just ignore those stage for now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SteamUserForums said:
I think the fix is inside re4.exe file, I opened it with an ehx editor and found some strings;
mat.specular0, bump0, bump1, bump2. if those "0" means disabled and changing them to "1" will enable this? I did try it but exe wont work after save file. Maybe someone you guys know how to edit it with hex editor.

Oh my.

It's truly amazing how much they packed into this campaign. What a ride, still enjoying it as much as the first time. Masterclass in pacing.
QTEs are an atrocity though.

WBacon has responded to someone about the missing shader effects on his steam profile.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024500354

DarkShinobu said:
Hello, are we going to get an official response about the missing shader effects on this version? while you said it was impossible to port it, people found them in the game but in a certain "off mode" or a lower intensity, barely noticeable, so, the effects are ingame actually, it will be nice if the Dev team acknowledge this as well on the patch that will come:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/

WBacon said:
@Dark - the dev team is aware of the shader effect thread, and will look into it after getting the critical issues fixed in the upcoming 1.0.1 patch. Priority is to get the beta patch rolled out later this week, provided the latest build is stable enough (knock on w00d).

As for Capcom representative commenting in that big thread, there's nothing that can be confirmed or denied at this time, as internal discussions around bug fixes and feature-adds are fluid and constantly changing. At the end of the day, the dev team needs to properly analyze and test any bug fix or new feature to ensure they function reasonably well before officially commenting on them.

WBacon said:
(cont. from above)

The other issue is that, given the heated -- and sometimes combative -- nature of the discussion thread is not a great environment to make any premature or inconclusive comment as it will either be blown out of context ('lies') or response may not be satisfactory. This will frustrate everyone if any element of the disclosure does not 100% meet their expectations.

Thanks for your unerstanding.

Ha, yeah, sigma's post about his fix may have elicited a better response if the first paragraph wasn't basically, "What kind of doofuses do they have working over at Capcom? I fixed the shaders in a couple hours."

Ha, yeah, sigma's post about his fix may have elicited a better response if the first paragraph wasn't basically, "What kind of doofuses do they have working over at Capcom? I fixed the shaders in a couple hours."

Well, I don't blame him to be honest. Didn't we have someone working on the port tell us it was really difficult here on gaf?

I've gotten rather used to the controls and enjoying the game. This is my first time playing. I'm at the bit where you
blow the door up using the cannon at the castle
. Not sure how far along I am but I can see why people really like the game. So what is the deal with having the girl wait. Is there a timer where she will get found and taken?

I've gotten rather used to the controls and enjoying the game. This is my first time playing. I'm at the bit where you
. Not sure how far along I am but I can see why people really like the game. So what is the deal with having the girl wait. Is there a timer where she will get found and taken?

you're a little over a third in. I know right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It's generally safe to tell her to wait just around a corner while you deal with approaching enemies, but don't stray too far or for too long unless you're sure you've cleared the area of bad dudes.

I don't believe there's a timer where she will automatically get taken if you have her wait too long, but maybe if you go a significant distance from her for too long something will happen... I haven't experimented with that at all; someone else must know more.

Unai

There is no timer. If a ganado is near her, it will take her. Notice that there is some dumps that you can hide her. She won't be found there.

There is no timer. If a ganado is near her, it will take her. Notice that there is some dumps that you can hide her. She won't be found there.

Yeah I noticed the dumpsters you can hide her in. I told her to wait at the beginning of the castle level and then proceeded to kill all enemies while they were
hurling firebombs at me lol
but when I got to the first set of stairs there she was screaming for help even there was no way other route for enemies to get to her apart from the one I was on.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

To be fair, I am pretty sure the dumpsters stop appearing after the village.

Yeah I noticed the dumpsters you can hide her in. I told her to wait at the beginning of the castle level and then proceeded to kill all enemies while they were
but when I got to the first set of stairs there she was screaming for help even there was no way other route for enemies to get to her apart from the one I was on.

The section you're at is kind of tricky, there's a lot of enemies hidden around corners. But there's no timer, enemies may just go for her in unprotected though.

Also, good luck. Very, very minor spoilers.
I think you're at what is in my opinion one of the toughest parts of the game. The next several sections are non-stop new things thrown at you and difficult but fun scenarios. It's one of the most challenging parts of the game in my opinion, but also one of my favorites.

Unai

There are two ganados that spawn right where you left her, haha.

To be fair, I am pretty sure the dumpsters stop appearing after the village.

Yeah, I think this is correct.

Another thing to keep in mind when protecting Ashley is that Ganados have to bring her to a door before you get a Game Over screen. If you're leaving her on her own, make sure to put some space between her and the nearest exit so you have to rescue her if she gets grabbed. Also, once a Plagas pops out, they aren't shy about hurting Ashley anymore.

Grief.exe

From the RE4 texture mod project

shot.jpg

I'm almost to the castle...have only died once - in the cabin. I beat the boss in the barn without even getting hit. I'm recording the whole thing. I might upload to YouTube eventually.

OK... items are now floating several inches above the ground and it wont go away.
During the
salazar
fight the background was flickering like crazy.
Game needs fixin'.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
From the RE4 texture mod project

To be fair, that's not one he made. He's working with someone else on the project now who actually lives where Capcom sourced the original art so he took a photograph of the same area and turned it into a texture.

To be fair, that's not one he made. He's working with someone else on the project now who actually lives where Capcom sourced the original art so he took a photograph of the same area and turned it into a texture.

Exactly right. See my comment, above.

Clarification - that texture is from Albert, who's doing amazing work based on the actual locations where the original textures were captured. We are collaborating now on this. This is his texture.

Edit: Updated the image to show who made it. :)

I was going to ask if he'd found the original reference, because *damn*. Resourcing the original references is an amazing direction for your work to go in, and I love that you guys are honoring all the original design choices (unlike all the other mods with far too many 'eh, that'll do' textures to count).

UrbanRats

Clarification - that texture is from Albert, who's doing amazing work based on the actual locations where the original textures were captured. We are collaborating now on this. This is his texture.

Edit: Updated the image to show who made it. :)

Damn, that is impressive work.

I don't have the game yet, but i appreciate the effort!

Newboi

Playing through mercenaries to unlock handcannon. The Waterworld flashing black screen bug really made playing it almost unbearable. It's also really tense with Leon having a Super Salvador running at you and the screen goes black. Alot of aim at head and pray you hit while the screen is black.

I have 5 stared all the stages with Leon and now I'm going through with Ada. I hate having to redo the stages again to unlock the handcannon, but it's a necessary tedium I guess. Once I unlock the handcannon, I can just play mercenaries for fun and goof off for long kill chains.

A word of advice though for the castle, I'm not sure if the Castle level is bugged for everyone else, but the enemies will effectively stop spawning once you go up to the balcony area. You will need to have a large kill chain in the initial starting area for as long as possible before you head upstairs through the door, if you want to 5 star.

andthebeatgoeson

Bad news: my laptop won't turn on. I lasted turned it on over the weekend to play. It was getting hot at times. The battery and charging light come on. I press the power button and nothing. I wonder if I fried my motherboard or something. Damnit.

Top Bottom