• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Grief.exe

Why is the metacritic score so low for this version? It's the same game as it was 9 years ago, nothing's changed. Are people reviewing it as a new game or something?

From what I have gathered, most of the outcry seems to be from delusional people calling for the inclusion of modern TPS controls over classic tank controls. A large amount of people seem to have unrealistic expectations of what should have been included in the port. I can't make this shit up, there are a high percentage of people who literally wanted Capcom to remaster the game's entire geometry and textures.

What are the specs of your PC? If you can run the game at a locked 60fps, the PC version is unquestionably better.

My PC is pretty good, there's no doubt I can get it running in top shape.

It just seems this version offers nothing new but some pretty textures, which are not that important to me.

Grief.exe

It just seems this version offers nothing new but some pretty textures, which are not that important to me.

60 FPS

What do you expect from a 10 year old game? The PSN version didn't offer anything new over the Wii counterpart.

From what I have gathered, most of the outcry seems to be from delusional people calling for the inclusion of modern TPS controls over classic tank controls. A large amount of people seem to have unrealistic expectations of what should have been included in the port. I can't make this shit up, there are a high percentage of people who literally wanted Capcom to remaster the game's entire geometry and textures.
Are these types if complaints coming from actual professional gaming news outlets? I haven't read a single review for this version and don't really plan to.

Curufinwe

Other than the in-game AA causing slowdowns and the negative mouse acceleration, I haven't encountered a single issue. Others seem to be on the same level.

The most egregious issue is the chapter 3 crash that a few people seem to be running into, and some of the QTE's not working quite correctly.

No issues for me either, but I'm on XP.

I love your copy/paste answer, lol

How many times have you had to tell people this? Though I agree, people are just generally dumb. It's labelled "Ultimate HD edition", not REmake 4. Never once was this stated to be a port to MT Framework or anything of the sort.

Whatevs, still a great game through and through and one of the most influential games of the last 10 years.

edit: PS, I would love to see a port of Code Veronica X HD and the original titles.

Grief.exe

Are these types if complaints coming from actual professional gaming news outlets? I haven't read a single review for this version and don't really plan to.

That was what I had gathered from reading consumer opinions on forums and user reviews.

Haven't touched a critical review either.

I love your copy/paste answer, lol

You caught me.

I assumed you hadn't read my response, but, more importantly, I also didn't relate metacritic to critical reviews either.

Just finished it.

2014-03-10_00001bgang.jpg

Looks like I really suck at this game when I compare it to the other stat screens in this thread. But that's because it's the third time ever I finished the game.

What's more to say? Apart from two QTEs in the whole game I enjoyed every minute of it. The game never gets old.

I will certainly wait for patches and mods to make this game the real definitive version before playing again.

The only weird graphical issue I experience is whenever I reload the Semi Auto rifle.

For whatever reason, whenever I reload the semi auto rifle, the framerate drops to 30fps. Just during the reload, that's it. It makes no sense. Other than that, the game is butter smooth 60 all the way through and no crashes or glitches. I don't get it.

60fps feels nice, but if that isn't important to you, I'd go with PS3 version. The PC version is very buggy right now, so that makes it a bit hard to recommend.

Hell no....wrong answer. After experiencing the 60fps, I can't go back. I've experienced no "real bugs" so I have no fucking idea what all these so called "Bugs" are about.

lexi

Banned
The only weird graphical issue I experience is whenever I reload the Semi Auto rifle.

For whatever reason, whenever I reload the semi auto rifle, the framerate drops to 30fps. Just during the reload, that's it. It makes no sense. Other than that, the game is butter smooth 60 all the way through and no crashes or glitches. I don't get it

It's not you, it's the game. Hopefully this is one of the things that is patched, as it stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm also very excited about what the modding community can do for this game.

It's also on both rifles, not just the semi-auto, and it's only the animation, not the actual game's framerate dropping. There are a few other animations that are still at 30fps including the head biting Plagas emerging. I hope they get fixed in the upcoming patch, but even if these oversights were never fixed, it'd be a small price to pay for 60fps in the rest of the game.

It's also on both rifles, not just the semi-auto, and it's only the animation, not the actual game's framerate dropping. There are a few other animations that are still at 30fps including the head biting Plagas emerging. I hope they get fixed in the upcoming patch, but even if these oversights were never fixed, it'd be a small price to pay for 60fps in the rest of the game.

I thought it was my laptop chugging, lol. I was a bit surprised that the semi-auto had the same problem. It so jarring. Does this also apply to the Gigantes and U-3 when they disintegrate? Was getting frame rate drops there too.

Grief.exe

Flawless widescreen now has FOV support for RE4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3JpTWdk1A

For whatever reason, whenever I reload the semi auto rifle, the framerate drops to 30fps. Just during the reload, that's it. It makes no sense. Other than that, the game is butter smooth 60 all the way through and no crashes or glitches. I don't get it.

Key frames for those specific animations are just at 30 FPS, your game is still rendering at 60.

i probably thought the framerate dropped cause i stare at the rifle reload animation everytime cause it's hard not to when the animation of it is 30fps and the game is at 60fps

I got AO working in a wonky way through Nvidia Inspector. If you use the 0x0000000F bit then it works sometimes but it flickers on and off a lot. In this example I got it to turn off just by moving the camera slightly:

Off
re4_noao_by_realghostvids-d79m59q.jpg

On
re4_hbao_by_realghostvids-d79m58w.jpg

It's a shame because it looks great when it's working.

Grief.exe

...and he's also being stingy as fuck! He won't release his methods as he is waiting to see what the first fucking patch from Capcom will have :/.

Makes sense to wait for the patch to see what Capcom officially fixes.

Would likely break his mod entirely anyways.

Do you want to be able to play this game in 10 years on a PC?

If not, feel free to buy a version you lose as soon as you get rid of your PS3.

I tried playing with KB/M. It was garbage. It's so disorienting to look around, then switch to aiming. It often throws me waaay off my preferred target. There's also some kind of delay with the knife switch.

Gonna stick with controllers like I usually do for TPS games.

Also, is it just me or do you fail the boulder QTE if you press too fast? I had to slow down.

I tried playing with KB/M. It was garbage. It's so disorienting to look around, then switch to aiming. It often throws me waaay off my preferred target. There's also some kind of delay with the knife switch.

Gonna stick with controllers like I usually do for TPS games.

Also, is it just me or do you fail the boulder QTE if you press too fast? I had to slow down.

QTEs are broken in general and I don't think anyone really knows what's up with them. Seems to have something to do with the switch to 60 FPS.

Longshot

So I just entered the castle, sold my shotgun for the riot gun and the handgun for the Blacktail. Should I buy the Broken Butterly as well?

I'm almost up to the part where I screwed up in the GC version,
where those guys with blades for arms slap your shit
as I literally had no ammo to kill them.

Loving this game.

Grief.exe

So I just entered the castle, sold my shotgun for the riot gun and the handgun for the Blacktail. Should I buy the Broken Butterly as well?

I'm almost up to the part where I screwed up in the GC version,
where those guys with blades for arms slap your shit
as I literally had no ammo to kill them.

Loving this game.

If you want to save some dosh, you do have access to the Broken Butterfly later, after you have rescued Ashley from the trap.

kewlmyc

Is anyone using the DS4tool for Dualshock 4 to play this game? It keeps recognizing the DS4 as a regular controller rather than a 360 controller.

Is anyone using the DS4tool for Dualshock 4 to play this game? It keeps recognizing the DS4 as a regular controller rather than a 360 controller.

I'm using it. Using the "Hide DS4 Controller" option and it works perfectly for me over bluetooth. The "Hide DS4 Controller" option is intended to hide the Dualshock 4 DirectInput controller to prevent double input in some games and make sure the only controller a game uses is the emulated XInput controller.

Unfortunately, the option wasn't working for someone else in the thread earlier. The only difference in the setup was that I believe he was using usb.

Miker

I'm using it. Using the "Hide DS4 Controller" option and it works perfectly for me over bluetooth. The "Hide DS4 Controller" option is intended to hide the Dualshock 4 DirectInput controller to prevent double input in some games and make sure the only controller a game uses is the emulated XInput controller.

Unfortunately, the option wasn't working for someone else in the thread earlier. The only difference in the setup was that I believe he was using usb.

Regarding the "Hide DS4" option - I found that it wouldn't work with Steam running, probably because Steam monitors for the guide button to launch Big Picture Mode. I had to quit Steam, then check the Hide DS4 box to make it work, then restart Steam.

Regarding the "Hide DS4" option - I found that it wouldn't work with Steam running, probably because Steam monitors for the guide button to launch Big Picture Mode. I had to quit Steam, then check the Hide DS4 box to make it work, then restart Steam.

When I was using an earlier version of the tool, I would have that happen but for some reason with one of the newer updates, that stopped happening to me.

kewlmyc

Thanks, I'll try it out when I get home.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man, I definitely forgot how long this gets the first time around, without the Handcannon or Typewriter.

I mean, it hasn't actually been that long, only about 4-ish hours, but it feels like I've been at the
island section
forever. I've definitely fallen off 3 ledges while absolutely mashing the shit out of my x360 pad's X button, lol.

Game is still awesome, though. Can't wait for some mercenaries action.

(Also posting to bookmark this for when that shader mod comes out)

Sectus

Hell no....wrong answer. After experiencing the 60fps, I can't go back. I've experienced no "real bugs" so I have no fucking idea what all these so called "Bugs" are about.
- 30FPS rifles
- Item falling down speed too fast.
- Most water animations too fast.
- Spear animations are too fast.
- Castle in Mercenaries is broken.
- Waterworld in Mercenaries is broken.
- A+X QTEs won't trigger sometimes.

Those are from the top of my head and I'm certain there's other things I noticed while played. Most of these bugs are exclusive to 60fps and most of them are minor, but it just gave me the impression of a generally buggy and unpolished experience. And mercenaries mode right now could be considered broken, which is inexcusable, it shouldn't have shipped like that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
- 30FPS rifles

Those are from the top of my head and I'm certain there's other things I noticed while played. Most of these bugs are exclusive to 60fps and most of them are minor, but it just gave me the impression of a generally buggy and unpolished experience. And mercenaries mode right now could be considered broken, which is inexcusable, it shouldn't have shipped like that.

Supposedly mercenaries fix is coming in the first patch.

The quicktime event one (if it is actually a bug and not just peoples reflexes) is a legit big problem and needs to get fixed.

the other ones you listed are super minor

I present, A SHADER HACK(Some user named Sigma posted these links on Steam forums):
Mega link one and two

...and he's also being stingy as fuck! He won't release his methods as he is waiting to see what the first fucking patch from Capcom will have :/.

Oh wow. The specular effects really make a lot of difference.
Also, he is not being stingy. He just waits for Capcom to do the first step and see if they actually bother to fix some of these issues by themselves.

What am I supposed to see here? If I had to guess I would say the dynamic lighting glow is implemented here? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh wow. The specular effects really make a lot of difference.
Also, he is not being stingy. He just waits for Capcom to do the first step and see if they actually bother to fix some of these issues by themselves.

What am I supposed to see here? If I had to guess I would say the dynamic lighting glow is implemented here? Correct me if I'm wrong.

real time reflections on the floor and better lighting

JRW

- 30FPS rifles

Also (not related to 60fps):

- Missing specular highlights from GC/Wii version (source)
- Missing dynamic glow around light sources from GC/Wii & 360 version (torches / the blue flames near merchant etc.) - Youtube merchant comparison: 360 - PC - Image comparisons: Link
- Colors & Gamma are incorrect in some areas vs. GC/Wii version (source)
- Positional audio is broken (source)

Top Bottom