• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

Sectus

I actually find Resident Evil 4 to be a hard game. If you've beaten it before, it seems easy, but so does any game you've beaten before. If someone goes into RE4 cold, not knowing what they are doing, they would definitely consider it difficult. Within 10 minutes you're facing a mob with fewer shells in your gun than enemies. Within 20 minutes, you're facing an enemy who can one shot you (the chainsaw guy).

For noobs, this game throws them to the wolves.

I feel that's true only to an extent. I've always felt that starting from chapter 3, you start getting an absurd amount of ammo thrown your way. I recently found my old save from the first time I played the game, and even in my first playthrough I had a crazy amount of items.

I think this is a problem with most of the games in the franchise. They might do a good job forcing the player to be conservative early on, but after a couple of hours, that idea is thrown out the window and you end up with an item box filled with lots of weapons, ammo and healing items.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel that's true only to an extent. I've always felt that starting from chapter 3, you start getting an absurd amount of ammo thrown your way. I recently found my old save from the first time I played the game, and even in my first playthrough I had a crazy amount of items.

I think this is a problem with most of the games in the franchise. They might do a good job forcing the player to be conservative early on, but after a couple of hours, that idea is thrown out the window and you end up with an item box filled with lots of weapons, ammo and healing items.

I play a lot of horror games, and this is a tough place to strike a balance at in horror games with supplies. I've played games that are incredibly sparse with what they hand out to you, and games that hand them out like candy

Resident Evil 4 I think is a hard game the first time through though, because I do agree with you, the game starts throwing ammo your way a lot more after you leave the village, but then also the game racks up in difficulty and starts having more threats than just those that are bullet-related. And some of them have a lot of ammo, or are still difficult the first time.

*Spoilers in this next paragraph* For example, the Garrador. Shooting attracts his attention, and before you figure out how he works, the amount of ammo doesn't really help. The game also introduces the head bursters that can eat you in one gulp around this point, which is panic inducing. You have enemies that go invisible, dogs in the hedge maze that run out at you suddenly and quickly, there's the section with various traps like the sawblade vehicle or the the falling ceiling, the section where you're defenseless with Ashley, Verdugo who has a shit-ton of health, the section with the two el gigantes if you want to fight them both, the section shortly after with the several chainsaw enemies, and then things like The Tower or the bullet-sponge boss which is Salazar. And then after that you have those gattling gun enemies, IT, Regenerators, sections that consume up a lot of ammo like the vehicle driving section, Krauser who isn't very effective against guns.
*End spoilers*

All of these have strategies to make them easier, yes, but I would argue that while ammo drops more, since the game throws so many different and new situations at you which you need to learn as you go, it is a hard game the first time through. Not the hardest game ever or something, but I do think there's good difficulty to it, and some parts can still be tricky even with a lot of ammo and knowing what to do. I also think this game has the hardest Pro difficulty of the recent RE games, the only game that might come close is Infernal Difficulty in the recent HD version of Revelations.

Grief.exe

Its a tough balancing act.

How can you make sure that a player has enough ammo for upcoming boss fights or encounters?

There are many players who probably did not figure out the melee system, or did not abuse the capacity mechanic. I've been playing games for over two decades now, these systems jump right out at me at this point.

You can't insure that others will do the same. There are so many encounters and boss fights in chapter 3, that you have to allow a certain level of player to get through.

Unai

I actually find Resident Evil 4 to be a hard game. If you've beaten it before, it seems easy, but so does any game you've beaten before. If someone goes into RE4 cold, not knowing what they are doing, they would definitely consider it difficult. Within 10 minutes you're facing a mob with fewer shells in your gun than enemies. Within 20 minutes, you're facing an enemy who can one shot you (the chainsaw guy).

For noobs, this game throws them to the wolves.

I play a lot of horror games, and this is a tough place to strike a balance at in horror games with supplies. I've played games that are incredibly sparse with what they hand out to you, and games that hand them out like candy

Resident Evil 4 I think is a hard game the first time through though, because I do agree with you, the game starts throwing ammo your way a lot more after you leave the village, but then also the game racks up in difficulty and starts having more threats than just those that are bullet-related. And some of them have a lot of ammo, or are still difficult the first time.

*Spoilers in this next paragraph* For example, the Garrador. Shooting attracts his attention, and before you figure out how he works, the amount of ammo doesn't really help. The game also introduces the head bursters that can eat you in one gulp around this point, which is panic inducing. You have enemies that go invisible, dogs in the hedge maze that run out at you suddenly and quickly, there's the section with various traps like the sawblade vehicle or the the falling ceiling, the section where you're defenseless with Ashley, Verdugo who has a shit-ton of health, the section with the two el gigantes if you want to fight them both, the section shortly after with the several chainsaw enemies, and then things like The Tower or the bullet-sponge boss which is Salazar. And then after that you have those gattling gun enemies, IT, Regenerators, sections that consume up a lot of ammo like the vehicle driving section, Krauser who isn't very effective against guns.
*End spoilers*

All of these have strategies to make them easier, yes, but I would argue that while ammo drops more, since the game throws so many different and new situations at you which you need to learn as you go, it is a hard game the first time through. Not the hardest game ever or something, but I do think there's good difficulty to it, and some parts can still be tricky even with a lot of ammo and knowing what to do. I also think this game has the hardest Pro difficulty of the recent RE games, the only game that might come close is Infernal Difficulty in the recent HD version of Revelations.

I completely agree with both of you.

EvaristeG

Banned
What is it people mean by figuring out the melee system ? I just use kicks when enemies are stunned, and sometimes use the knife. It doesn't feel like the game is designed to revolve around melee much to me.

Grief.exe

Just browsing the Steam forums, someone came up with a fix for the film grain. Wasn't very forthcoming so I can't tell you exactly what method he used.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824736475746/

Original
BA61A5686062FAE720BDE88C12B9D7A4559CB631

Fix
C566800954B209B895DB572DA2042088E2B754C8

Original
AB501469157AD449D1D62BBC6E4997DE9C5EDF25

Fix
90AA0050048E6C07814AAC7D57954D16F2536803

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What is it people mean by figuring out the melee system ? I just use kicks when enemies are stunned, and sometimes use the knife. It doesn't feel like the game is designed to revolve around melee much to me.

There's basically different levels to understanding melee moves in Resident Evil 4. Most obvious is the knife as you can do it at anytime, though still can be tricky to use so need to figure out when its the best time to knife when you're just a beginner player.

The second step is figuring out how stunning and kicking words. Great for crowd control, but I'll be honest, it took me a bit to understand kicking the first time played Resident Evil 4. Got to learn the stun spots on enemies and the time period you have to run in and kick them.

The third step is executions, or in basic suplex them. This works well if there's only a few enemies around, and keep on mind they only work on cult and soldier ganado, but you have to know the enemy so it goes on its knees in a kneeling position, then can run in and suplex them, which will kill them. To do this you have to learn how to get them to the downed-knee state.

dan2026

It really says something for the Resident Evil franchise when this game keeps getting endlessly re-released.

How the mighty have fallen. I doubt the series will ever be as good as this again.

Grief.exe

I just reached the Krauser/Ada cut scene and I have to head out for the day. Really need to focus on school next week as I have a test, but hopefully I have enough time to finish this out.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It really says something for the Resident Evil franchise when this game keeps getting endlessly re-released.

How the mighty have fallen. I doubt the series will ever be as good as this again.

Just wait until we get REmake 2.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

andthebeatgoeson

I literally can't hold all this ammo, I've just been using my shotgun and rifle just to get rid of it intentionally.

Right before this screenshot I sold about 4 boxes of ammo as well.

You need to sell those sprays and half of that ammo. One, you'll need the cash for some nice weapon upgrades. You never need that much ammo.

How can you make sure that a player has enough ammo for upcoming boss fights or encounters?

There are many players who probably did not figure out the melee system, or did not abuse the capacity mechanic. I've been playing games for over two decades now, these systems jump right out at me at this point.

You can't insure that others will do the same. There are so many encounters and boss fights in chapter 3, that you have to allow a certain level of player to get through.

My experience with RE started with REmake, which thought me that you should never fire a single bullet unless it is absolutely necessary. Never had any issue with lack of ammo in any other game since. That game basically thought me all I know about item management.

Especially since RE7 is reaching out to clothing brands... the end is nigh.

Part of the problem is forced coop, either local/online or with shit AI. Get rid of it.

lexi

Banned
I hope the patch fixes the awful frame stuttering I'm getting. The game seemed to play fine at first but now stutters extremely often, at any graphical setting, while nothing at all is happening on screen.

I think I'll stop progressing until it's fixed, it's really kinda ruining the game.

Sectus

That's true. I suppose the type of difficulty changes. For the village you can easily run out of ammo and that's a major concern. Castle and forward, ammo becomes less of a concern but the new enemies are a much bigger threat. I personally like the challenge of conserving ammo so I wish they had found a way to have that be a thing for the entire game.

I think there's 2 things they could do to fix the issue:
- Make sure there's ammo to find now and then. Never let the player go too far without the chance of picking up ammo.
- Drastically reduce the amount of ammo the player can carry or stash somewhere.

I kinda feel like the item box in classic RE games and the gigantic briefcase in RE4 might have been a mistake, because that's the reason why you can end up having a ton of ammo in the long run. I think RE5 was the closest to reaching a perfect balance, but it's ruined by the fact that you can restart checkpoint at any time and move stuff from your item box into your inventory.

I think it would have been really interesting if they designed a full RE game where the inventory is just 9 slots like in RE5, and you could never ever stash items. I imagine some people would be driven mad by that, but I think it'd be an interesting challenge as you'd constantly have to choose what to keep and what to throw away, and running out of ammo is always a danger.

Man, I get serious slowdown after the merchant in the (late-game spoilers)
underground area where you go to fight the thing with the pincer tail. Not the fight itself, but walking along to the yellow herb behind the torn fence and where you see how big the cave is. I also get slowdown in sections of the Krauser fight. I guess I forgot about getting it the first time, but I remember it happening then as well for sure now.

In other news, I'm almost done with my Pro run!

Grief.exe

You need to sell those sprays and half of that ammo. One, you'll need the cash for some nice weapon upgrades. You never need that much ammo.

But I need to horde everything!

I just stepped into the matrix.

95E2E8517C79389C95DEFEE145862131D8315465

Yes, he's made out of keyboard inputs, so is my gun.

lol

I hope the patch fixes the awful frame stuttering I'm getting. The game seemed to play fine at first but now stutters extremely often, at any graphical setting, while nothing at all is happening on screen.

I think I'll stop progressing until it's fixed, it's really kinda ruining the game.

You try turning off in-game AA?

I literally can't hold all this ammo, I've just been using my shotgun and rifle just to get rid of it intentionally.

Right before this screenshot I sold about 4 boxes of ammo as well.

drop the TMP and ammo, it's redundant and takes up too much space extra space.

if you really <3 the TMP, then drop the red-9 and handgun ammo

Or just roll with 2 of every ammo and sell the rest.

OH....Fully upgrade that Shotgun because it will save u hella space.

lexi

Banned
You try turning off in-game AA?

It happens with everything set to low, running at 720p.

I think I've actually traced it down. It's when I play the game with a 360 controller that I get these frame hitches. It's a wireless controller, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The game plays absolutely fine with no hitches with the keyboard, with graphics set to max, 8x AA, etc.

Newboi

Finally had time to beat the game. I also just beat Assignment Ada. Now I have to: beat Separate Ways, 5 star all maps with all characters on Mercenaries, then beat Professional mode...

Man, I really hate playing Separate Ways. I'd rather not be forced to play it to unlock items that were originally unlockable on a single play through of the main story on the original GC version.

Finally had time to beat the game. I also just beat Assignment Ada. Now I have to: beat Separate Ways, 5 star all maps with all characters on Mercenaries, then beat Professional mode...

Man, I really hate playing Separate Ways. I'd rather not be forced to play it to unlock items that were originally unlockable on a single play through of the main story on the original GC version.

What do you unlock with Separate Ways?

lexi

Banned
My issue is now resolved after deleting the ini files from the Documents folder, letting the game re-create them, and just setting the graphics you want from the game menu.

No idea why this has fixed it and why the issue specifically pertained to using the 360 controller.

Rnr1224

finally finished separate ways. some parts of the last chapter were so frustrating. next goal is to get the chicago typewriter! guess ill have be sure to find every piece of treasure. 1 mil is gonna take a bit

Finally had some time to play. Beat Salazar's "right hand" without the RL for the first time in ages. Same with the dual Garradors. Not as hard as I remember. Still used the RL on Salazar though. :D

Thought I'd have more space in my inventory after getting rid of the rocket, but I picked up all the stuffs in the boss room...

Fpl9MVR.png

Also noticed flickering in the room as well. Aside from a few hitches I'm enjoying this version. Now to the Island.

Finally had some time to play. Beat Salazar's "right hand" without the RL for the first time in ages. Same with the dual Garradors. Not as hard as I remember. Still used the RL on Salazar though. :D

Thought I'd have more space in my inventory after getting rid of the rocket, but I picked up all the stuffs in the boss room...

Fpl9MVR.png

Also noticed flickering in the room as well. Aside from a few hitches I'm enjoying this version. Now to the Island.

Your inventory management is probably making some people very uncomfortable.

Fpl9MVR.png

pls

make it stop

get the Striker exclusive and absorb that shotgun ammo

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is the Handcannon so good its worth grinding Mercs?

It's fun to use and absurdly powerful. Once it has its exclusive, it also has infinite ammo. Technically, the Chicago Typewriter kills everything just as fast, but the HandCannon also kind of acts as proof of your Mercenaries completion.

It won't. He'll get 100 rounds and still have that ammo. But sell sell sell. Take a trip to Chicago. Tat tat tat...

well the point is, once you get those 100 rounds, might as well sell all the shotgun shells.

first play through should be about maximizing that money for the awesome weapons lol.

Top Bottom