• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

I wonder...

Though I would absolutely hate it. Since I haven't been able to progress in the game because of the freezing, deleting the save and starting over seems about the only option at this point.

Newboi

There was no point in getting that weapon when I have the Chicago Typewriter. I am not an achievement hunter but Capcom did a really terrible job with the achievements for this game. Holy crap.

It's not about achievement hunting. It's about having the ultimate inventory. You're missing arguably the best gun in the entire game Lol.

Regardless, Your inventory is still pretty sick!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried that WindowedBorderless app, and that definitely gets rid of the tear, but creates a weird grid overlay, like the picture is made up of a bunch of squares, but the edge of each square is missing a row of pixels. I remember it doing this in MGR too

Okay, fixed that. But now the mouse lag is back. I'm assuming windowed mode applies vsync automatically. great!

You should try the one I mentioned and see if it works better, SRWE (Simple Runtime Window Editor)

Grief.exe

Separate ways is awesome man, seriously.

do a mix of both!

ada's campaign in seperate ways is awesome. Enemies move alot faster (tho you move faster too) and the campaign is a bit challenging (challenging if you wanna play perfect....) as saves are alot less frequent!

ada assignment is one big challenge mode as there is no save.

Separate Ways I'd do first, as others suggested, if you never played it. It compliments the main campaign, you basically play the main campaign over (parts of it), same maps, but you see it through the eye of Ada, and you help Leon without him seeing you etc. She has different weapons iirc as well. Mainly based on the fact another run is ~10-15 hours, and SW is like 4-5.

yeah Grief, you've got to play Separate Ways, it's not an "extra".. it's actually part of the main story.
It's so good to experience what Ada was doing while you were killing enemies somewhere else.

Alright, alright. I'll get on Separate Ways!

I wonder...

Though I would absolutely hate it. Since I haven't been able to progress in the game because of the freezing, deleting the save and starting over seems about the only option at this point.

Think about how horrible it would be if you got all the way back and the freezing error happened again?

You posted your specs and error in that thread?

Alright, alright. I'll get on Separate Ways!

Think about how horrible it would be if you got all the way back and the freezing error happened again?

You posted your specs and error in that thread?

Yes I did post my specs.

The update is that I deleted the save, started a new game, and the freezing still occurs on 1-3. Unreal man...

I'm assuming that this also means I'll still freeze on 3-1 just after the enemy shackled in the cell like before.

Very frustrating

Guy.brush

So the reason the specular maps aren't there in the 360/PS3/PC versions is because the UV mapping is flipped. Hilarious and sad at the same time. How could no one notice this at Capcom?

Yeah just read about the find. Definitely hilarious. Seems like someone during the Xbox360 port confused the axis in UV maps. The current fix for specular textures involves rotating them 90 degree. LOL
Here is a post detailing the bug of shame:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/#c558750717234239412

Grief.exe

Yeah just read about the find. Definitely hilarious. Seems like someone during the Xbox360 port confused the axis in UV maps. The current fix for specular textures involves rotating them 90 degree. LOL
Here is a post detailing the bug of shame:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/#c558750717234239412

To be completely honest with you, the effects based on proprietary GameCube hardware are, most likely, attached to Nintendo licensed middle ware.

Capcom couldn't include it in the game if they wanted to.

All that matters is that specular is back, and the gamma has been fixed. the game looks SO much better now. now we just need to figure out what's going on with the IQ, and have the RE4HD.com guys finish their work.

I've started playing again. The game feels *right* for the first time in ages.

Grief.exe

All that matters is that specular is back, and the gamma has been fixed. the game looks SO much better now. now we just need to figure out what's going on with the IQ, and have the RE4HD.com guys finish their work.

It was already the definitive version the moment it was released, but it just keeps getting better and better.

It was already the definitive version the moment it was released, but it just keeps getting better and better.

Definitive? No. Not without specular. There was no definitive version, even though the PC version was still probably the best. NOW it is definitive though ;)

One of my Steam friends was browsing the thread and messaged me. Should have a 3-2 save coming up, he just has to finish 3-1!

Should be the ultimate test. Hope there isn't anything significant at the end of 3-1. This is my first RE4 experience.

Edit

I think this game doesn't like something with my hardware hardware. A friend of mine began playing days after me, beat it, and had no problems outside of some QTE stuff. He has hardware that is a lot less powerful than mine too. Really pisses me off

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh thank god, the waterworks and castle fix for mercs make things so much better.

It's a toss-up for me with Ada/Wesker, Ada only has two types of ammo to manage if you dump her pistol, and the TMP is amazing for mooks, while the semi-auto works for bosses.

But Wesker has OP melee moves, a bigger semi-auto rifle clip, and the magnum for bosses, even though I only seem to get 2/3 rifle ammo as drops for him. Managed to get a 150k castle run with some combo breaking.

Krauser will be my least fave to get 5 stars with (barring Leon, who is so shitty compared to the rest of them), given that you have to herd enemies around near a bonus chest for arm spam, since I can't seem to get into using the bow.

Grief.exe

Should be the ultimate test. Hope there isn't anything significant at the end of 3-1. This is my first RE4 experience.

Edit

I think this game doesn't like something with my hardware hardware. A friend of mine began playing days after me, beat it, and had no problems outside of some QTE stuff. He has hardware that is a lot less powerful than mine too. Really pisses me off

I had the guy with the 3-2 save add you on Steam so he can directly upload the save to you, and we can cut out the middleman, me.

Name: Meow

Grief.exe

Uninstalled the game a few weeks ago and I might play it again with m/kb, what's the fix everybody is talking about (not talking about the beta patch) ?

Mouse controls have been completely fixed, no negative acceleration and knife delay is gone.

People are probably referring to the specular/gamma mod that was made available for the game.

vg260

Is it possible to use someone else's game save? I bought this game, but like almost every other remake, I don't have the time to do play through to unlock everything for the third time. I just wanna play through again with the unlocks essentially where I left off in older versions. I don't even care about achievements.

Tesseract

Banned

where's the gamma fix?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah I was about to buy this - would like to know about the specular and gamma fix. I can't access the steam forums right now, they're taking a dive.

Miker

Yeah I was about to buy this - would like to know about the specular and gamma fix. I can't access the steam forums right now, they're taking a dive.

As far as I know, most of the specular stuff is now in. Gamma fix isn't, but there are some SweetFX profiles that improve the game's colors a bit (some are better than others; avoid the ones that crush blacks). Mouse controls have been fixed, and performance is kind of hit or miss. Most people have no problem at all at 60 fps, and some people have slow-mo issues, so they play at 30 fps.

Miker

It's part of the specular fix. Grief.exe previously linked it. It's not 100%, I should say, but it's a good deal better.

Also, you might want to try this. http://www.fileswap.com/dl/cmUh4dTHy9/ Pakus did a colour gradient fix to better match the cube version.

The file you need to replace is in: SteamApps\common\Resident Evil 4\BIO4\gradients\

Then turn on colour filter 2.

Are there any comparison screenshots of the color gradient/filter fix?

EDIT:

Sigma on the Steam forums says that Capcom fixed the midtones and gradients? Not sure if that's equivalent to the gamma or not.

Pedersen

OMG

I looked at that inventory screenshot on the previous page and saw those all green health mixtures and wondered what in the hell that is as I hadn't seen anything like that in my playthrough. Then I realized that you probably can mix just the green herbs with each other!

I went the entire playthrough just using single green herbs when I had a ton of them, even though my health was very low :lol

TUROK

So the reason the specular maps aren't there in the 360/PS3/PC versions is because the UV mapping is flipped. Hilarious and sad at the same time. How could no one notice this at Capcom?
These versions do have specular mapping, but since the UV coordinates are fucked, they don't match up with the bump mapping. Everyone's terminology is out of whack.

Also, fuck you, Capcom.

v0rtikal

OMG

I looked at that inventory screenshot on the previous page and saw those all green health mixtures and wondered what in the hell that is as I hadn't seen anything like that in my playthrough. Then I realized that you probably can mix just the green herbs with each other!

I went the entire playthrough just using single green herbs when I had a ton of them, even though my health was very low :lol

lol are you new to the series?

Are there any comparison screenshots of the color gradient/filter fix?

EDIT:

Sigma on the Steam forums says that Capcom fixed the midtones and gradients? Not sure if that's equivalent to the gamma or not.

bio42014-03-1517-37-13tsen.png

Colour fix off.

Colour fix on.

It looks...darker and blue-er. I guess that's closer to the original colors from the GC/Wii version?

It's probably not the best location to show it off... but yeah. It's a bit closer to the GC colour gradient. Things still look weird when the lightning flashes in the village after Del Lago... but it's looking a lot better, and it's going to keep getting better.

It's part of the specular fix. Grief.exe previously linked it. It's not 100%, I should say, but it's a good deal better.
Sigma's specular shader fix does not correct the gamme levels. He was originaly holding back the release of the shader fix until gamma was officially corrected in a patch.

His release post on the Steam forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/#c558750624749593141
Seeing how people are impatient here, i think i´ll skip the gamma part, sorry if i delayed the release too much, but i had my personal reasons, I would like to thanks Albert, Burnhell, and all the others who understand I have a real life outside of Steam.
Thanks to this delay at the very end i found a far more easy way to make this fix works, and it ´ll be extremely more easy to install for everyone here. I already uploaded it,and i´m writing the release post in the RE modding community right now. But i would like to clarify some small points before the release:

1- It´s not a perfect solution it´s most like a workaround to the prolem.Keep in mind i´m not being paid to make it,i´m doing it for free! If you don´t like it or don´t think it makes any difference in the game ,REMEMBER, nobody is forcing you to download it!

2-This "fix" will not cause any performance hit, or any other problem,I tested it more than once playing the entire game.

3-Although i believe the effects are very close to the Wii/GC versions ,This is not a complete solution, for many reasons, like the fact this game have several problems related to graphics like wrong Gamma adjustment ,color problems, broken lighting effects ......

Here´s the link to my post, you´ll find the fix there:

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/911/shaders-fix
There are other fixes available for gamma on the RE Modding forums, but they use ENB and SweetFX profiles to achieve their result. You can find those here:
http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/board/72/re4-modification

Also, you might want to try this. http://www.fileswap.com/dl/cmUh4dTHy9/ Pakus did a colour gradient fix to better match the cube version.

The file you need to replace is in: SteamApps\common\Resident Evil 4\BIO4\gradients\

Then turn on colour filter 2.
Do you have a source for this and comparison screenshots?

Edit: Just saw the comparison screens a few posts up. Would love to see shots compared to the GCN original if they're out there.

Do you have a link to this post?

Can we please start posting our sources when quoting other users or posting links to other mods? It would be really helpful for compiling all this useful information, and maybe Grief.exe can update the OP with an "Essential Mods" section or something.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yo grief you should update the OP with a link to the Spec fix so people can just respond to question askers with "Check the OP."

Tried. Nope.
Here's the video, shows turn speed under "Classic" and "Modern." I show max turn speed on both settings the difference is pretty apparent.

http://youtu.be/ZNF_w8iJats

On an unrelated note, check out the bump mapping on the shader fix when you "examine" grenades. The bump mapping on the text on the grenade matches the original textures, but on the HD textures it's out of alignment with flash and incendiary grenades since the text is now slightly lower.

RedSwirl

As far as I know, most of the specular stuff is now in. Gamma fix isn't, but there are some SweetFX profiles that improve the game's colors a bit (some are better than others; avoid the ones that crush blacks). Mouse controls have been fixed, and performance is kind of hit or miss. Most people have no problem at all at 60 fps, and some people have slow-mo issues, so they play at 30 fps.

Haven't been keeping up with this game. That an official patch or fan fix?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Would you mind explaining that? Is it because of the beta patch?

It's not actually "fixing" it.

All their doing is using SweetFx to change the color balance, saturation, contrast, or some other visual thing.

It doesn't actually restore anything to how it should correctly be displayed. All it does is modify the already incorrect image.

It's the difference between being presented the original image, and being presented an approximation of the original image based off of a faulty one.

RedSwirl

Holy shit Capcom is actually keeping its classic games patched? That include the specular? First this, then I find out they patched Third Strike Online last month.

paolo11

Hope someone can answer my question. Is there a mod that fully rotates the camera around Leon? It seems when I rotate it, it will only go up to Leon's side but won't fully rotate the camera.

Top Bottom