• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

ChronoX

It's not about achievement hunting. It's about having the ultimate inventory. You're missing arguably the best gun in the entire game Lol.

Regardless, Your inventory is still pretty sick!

The mention about achievements wasn't in relation to the gun. I was just mentioning that as a side note :) You still have to aim with the handcannon to a greater extent than the Chicago Typewriter. I love running around and just mowing everything that moves with that gun :D

So for the people that prefer the Semi-Auto Rifle, do you just wait for it to be available or do you go Rifle > Semi-Auto? I've always bought the Rifle before ditching it for the Semi-Auto, but now I'm struggling to think of areas before the Castle where it's really necessary to have it.

RedSwirl

Hope someone can answer my question. Is there a mod that fully rotates the camera around Leon? It seems when I rotate it, it will only go up to Leon's side but won't fully rotate the camera.

That's how it's been in every version of the game. In RE4 rotating the camera independent of Leon is pretty much never necessary.

ChronoX

So for the people that prefer the Semi-Auto Rifle, do you just wait for it to be available or do you go Rifle > Semi-Auto? I've always bought the Rifle before ditching it for the Semi-Auto, but now I'm struggling to think of areas before the Castle where it's really necessary to have it.

I bought the rifle and used it without any upgrades until I got the semi auto rifle.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

It's not really necessary, but it's one of, if not the highest single target damage available at the time, I think.

Can't think of any sniping spots in the village specifically where the rifle is king, aside from chainsaw knockbacks if you don't have shotgun ammo.

It's not really necessary, but it's one of, if not the highest single target damage available at the time, I think.

Can't think of any sniping spots in the village specifically where the rifle is king, aside from chainsaw knockbacks if you don't have shotgun ammo.
You'd be able to rack up damage faster on a single target with the TMP. Guess it's useful for taking out Plagas' quickly if you don't have a flash grenade. Think I'll skip it next playthrough.

I skipped the rifle. I grabbed the TMP and have been upgrading that. Got the blacktail at the castle and I'm putting money into that also. I haven't upgraded my default shotgun yet, and I didn't upgrade the starting handgun or the punisher (which I used until I got the blacktail). I'm waiting to upgrade the striker. I don't think I'm going to buy a rifle on this play through, actually. It might be tricky in the areas with rocket launcher guys, but I think I can pull this off. I want to get that striker upgraded.

Grief.exe

Holy shit Capcom is actually keeping its classic games patched? That include the specular? First this, then I find out they patched Third Strike Online last month.

This game did come out about two weeks ago.

Specular highlights and gamma fix are from a modder.

scitek

Finished my Professional run last night. Not happy with my stats, but whatever:

254700_2014-03-15_000nxjr0.png

finley83

Banned
Bought this from GMG yesterday and wow, RE4 at 60fps without jaggies is a revelation. I played the hell out of the GC version back in 2005 and honestly It feels just as fun now as it did then. As long as Capcom continue to work on bug fixes then I'm honestly really glad they put this version out there.

Don't think I can go back to the Wii version now even with the awesome controls.

Is it feasible for the modders to eventually allow us to play as the mercenaries characters in the main campaign including using their specific melee moves?

Any 120/144Hz users here having any issues with the beta patch?

I think it broke the game for me. Starting in fullscreen crashes the game and there's no picture in windowed mode. Nothing changed since the last time I played (literally 1 restart). Tried verifying cache, resetting settings etc.

FLAguy954

I'm hoping the beta gets pushed live soon so we can see an updated Flawless Widescreen patch. Currently everything works except
-Icons on the map are mal-aligned
-Text is scaled too large again

Both of these issues do not exist in the 1.0.0, so heres hoping they'll get resolved again

The game is still very playable and is amazing with eyefinity
1024x213.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238468257&tscn=1395003994

Can someone show this poster the gif with the built-in HUD? I can't locate it on Google

FLAguy954

This one?
ui_example_by_aloo81-d717oqs.gif

Yup. Unfortunately, the icons are built in so realigning them is a tall order.

In other news for anyone looking into modding textures, VoodooMan from the Steam forums posted how to add specular reflections (with varying intensity) to ANY texture:

Voodooman from Steam forums said:
Ok now since BUM maps works, little advice to Albert and others, how to make bump maps the way they look in a game (may be achieved with different software but result here is correct and its fast and easy and free):

Download XnView FULL, use it open original texture, go to EFFECTs > EMBOS then set colors 256 shades of gray, then INVERT COLORS (this will simply inveter highlihts and shadows of bump) save under name of original low res bump map.
Now open with Paint.net or photoshop, and set transparency to exactly 50% or 127 of 255 and save as TGA with alpha channel or DTX5 DDS,

Its really importan to invert colors to change direction of hihglights!

This is important note: not matter how texture looks now, in fact RE4 usese alpha \ transparency only to set intensivity of gloss\spec map and bump map. If you will set transparency to 100% (making texture absolutely invisible, but make sure texture is still there and only alpha makes it invisible) effect will shy like supernova, and with 0% transparency i think effect is totally disabled or very minor. By default all bump textures has 50% transparency, but you can play around with it.

Ultimate HD edition indeed; specular effects everywhere!

Coldsun

Banned
Can someone show this poster the gif with the built-in HUD? I can't locate it on Google

I'm well aware of that actually. Fortunately the Flawless Widescreen can scale them differently :D

As evident by running it with the current live version of the game.
The HUD, Aspect ratio, and FOV can all be scaled individually.

The only issue is with the beta patch which breaks the scaling of text. I'm sure once the beta patch is pushed live, Hayden will fix the scaling again in his app.

Sectus

Is it feasible for the modders to eventually allow us to play as the mercenaries characters in the main campaign including using their specific melee moves?

My trainer makes that possible: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/507/ (note, it's not compatible with beta patches)

It is buggy though. Carrying or equipping certain weapons will cause a crash, and all of the hunnigan cutscenes will cause a crash (you can avoid it by mashing the cutscene skip button).

I'm not sure if people were ever able to make mercenaries characters work without crashes in original PC port either.

By turn speed I thought you meant the movement turn, not aim speed, which isn't affected. :/
Sorry, I should have said aim speed. I've changed the name and description of the video to be more clear. I remember a couple people in this thread wanting faster aiming though, so this should make them happy.

Gertso

Neo Member
You know, regardless of the pretty assy textures the game still cleans up pretty nice.

I wonder when the community from the old PC version will patch in theirs. I got that version of RE4 looking pretty spiffy despite the game using PS2 effects and geometry and also being fairly unstable.

2.jpg

game-euro-12011-05-2402-24-57-56-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I wonder when the community from the old PC version will patch in theirs. I got that version of RE4 looking pretty spiffy despite the game using PS2 effects and geometry and also being fairly unstable.
Hate to be that guy but those textures are pretty gross. What is up with that pattern on Leon's shirt?

This is how you update an older game like RE4. Sticks as close as possible to the original art while not being so "realistic" that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gertso

Neo Member
It had more to do with the textures getting ruined by the game engine. And yea I much preferred this Leon model but it kept crashing the game. It was really hard to find the right balance and get everything running stable.

game-euro-12011-05-0600-40-34-28.jpg

Gertso

Neo Member
Also that guys 'HD' textures aren't technically his. He took the textures from the famous 'Albert Pack' and just ran them through sharpening filters. All of the environment textures in my shots are from that pack.

EDIT: Oh I was wrong. That's a new project...good luck to that guy looks like great work. I thought it was from another guy from way back.

Now I just want everyone that made old mods to set themselves on fire and less this guy finish his.

In Separate Ways, I remember a section where you're helping Leon in the village, and I swear I could actually see him run around. Is it possible to have him spot you (and thus starting a time paradox that presumably swallows the universe)?

Mr_Zombie

In Separate Ways, I remember a section where you're helping Leon in the village, and I swear I could actually see him run around. Is it possible to have him spot you (and thus starting a time paradox that presumably swallows the universe)?

I don't think so. He's always somewhere far away from you.

The funny thing about all that to me is that we can hear Leon's shooting, but never Ada's as Leon (presumably because she's too cool to actually have to fight or search for ammo/break boxes).

Ran Echelon

Neo Member

Yup I saw him too, being chased by ganados. I don't think he can see you though.

Anteater

It had more to do with the textures getting ruined by the game engine. And yea I much preferred this Leon model but it kept crashing the game. It was really hard to find the right balance and get everything running stable.

Leon's hair sure isn't looking good these days

Unai

Was this supposed to look good?

Newboi

I beat Professional Mode last night. I'm currently on my second playthrough of Normal Mode with the PRL 412 and the Handcannon. I just bought the Chicago Typewriter. I'm trying to have all super weapons sitting in my inventory in both Normal and Professional mode. I'll continue to play through to upgrade my handcannon all the way, then I'll buy the Infinite Launcher to complete my collection and have truly the ULTIMATE INVENTORY!

So what's the suggested gamma fix for now? I'd like if things at night weren't super visible, and were dark like they were supposed to be.

In other news for anyone looking into modding textures, VoodooMan from the Steam forums posted how to add specular reflections (with varying intensity) to ANY texture:

Ultimate HD edition indeed; specular effects everywhere!

Does that mean the specular effects have always been in the game files but just didn't work?

Did anyone already remade all the textures with that method? I don't want to go through every single texture by hand to add back specular highlights.

FLAguy954

Does that mean the specular effects have always been in the game files but just didn't work?

Did anyone already remade all the textures with that method? I don't want to go through every single texture by hand to add back specular highlights.

It simply means if someone wants to give the TMP (an item that doesn't have the effect by default) specular highlights, they are free to do so. The specular effects have always been there they were just implemented incorrectly (for the items that had them by default).

Top Bottom