• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Video Interview - 17 minutes!

Suprised no one posted this. IGN got to to Capcom's headquarter offices in Japan.

They interview

* Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Producer
* Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, Event Team
* Masaki Yamanaka, Lead Character Design

It's nearly 17 minutes long and has some awesome insight into the making of the game.

Download! http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/557/557653p1.html

Talk about:

* Wanted Resident Evil 4 to be really innovative and fresh because it was the "fourth" game in the series and they didn't want the games to start becoming stale.

* They've been through about 3 remakes/overhauls of Resident Evil 4 before getting it "right" with its current form. The 3rd version was never unveiled to the public.

* Complaints from Western gamers about the Resident Evil series (and 4) such as the controls, speed of movement of Leon, the lack of strafing, etc and basically say they didn't want to turn it into a FPS. The controls are more logical now and make more sense due to the camera angle. They experiemented with Leon's speed of movement a lot and talk a lot about how one of the hardest things to do is to balance a game right. Originally Leon was SLOWER then he is now but they found that the enemies were far more agile and quicker then Leon so they adjusted and sped up his movement.

* Talk about Leon character model having 3 times the amount of polygons then enemies (because there are heaps of them on screen). Bosses have far more polygons then Leon generally.

* They didn't want to change too much with this game as they didn't want to alienate old RE fans but they wanted to get new ppl interested in the series at the same time.

* Theres lot of context sensitive actions in the game.

* Talk about keeping camera angles realistic and like they could be shot in real life.

* Talk about how difficult it is to get realistic facial expressions and they actually animated them by hand.

* Other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Culex

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
Yes, but I muted the sound when Capcom started to talk about the bosses in the game.

You didn't miss much, really. There will be plenty of big and high-poly count bosses throughout the game.

Screenboy

Can someone list the interesting/new points made in this interview?

GC0326_1_lq.jpg

-SB

Screenboy said:
Can someone list the interesting/new points made in this interview?

Talk about:

* Wanted Resident Evil 4 to be really innovative and fresh because it was the "fourth" game in the series and they didn't want the games to start becoming stale.

* They've been through about 3 remakes/overhauls of Resident Evil 4 before getting it "right" with its current form. The 3rd version was never unveiled to the public.

* Complaints from Western gamers about the Resident Evil series (and 4) such as the controls, speed of movement of Leon, the lack of strafing, etc and basically say they didn't want to turn it into a FPS. The controls are more logical now and make more sense due to the camera angle. They experiemented with Leon's speed of movement a lot and talk a lot about how one of the hardest things to do is to balance a game right. Originally Leon was SLOWER then he is now but they found that the enemies were far more agile and quicker then Leon so they adjusted and sped up his movement.

* Talk about Leon character model having 3 times the amount of polygons then enemies (because there are heaps of them on screen). Bosses have far more polygons then Leon generally.

* They didn't want to change too much with this game as they didn't want to alienate old RE fans but they wanted to get new ppl interested in the series at the same time.

(See first post)

Nobody strafes in real life when it comes to combat. Controls +1000

uh oh the hoarde is shooting at me.. but it'll be okay if I move around them, always facing them, in a kind of semi-circle for blowing brains out from behind... cos they won't turn around fast enough...

I agree

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Nobody strafes in real life when it comes to combat. Controls +1000"

the GC... making people more retarded , one gamer at a time...

SantaC

DCharlie said:
"Nobody strafes in real life when it comes to combat. Controls +1000"

the GC... making people more retarded , one gamer at a time...

ah please don't start it in this thread too. Atleast keep the compliants in my thread.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"ah please don't start it in this thread too. Atleast keep the compliants in my thread."

i'll race right over to that thread....

*turns 90 degrees*
*runs*
*turns 90 degrees*
*arrives at destination*
*goes to menu*
*chose item*
*select "RE4 DISK" item*
*select combine option*
*select "Complain" item*
*select combine option*
*SORRY YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMBINE THESE TWO ITEMS BECAUSE ONE OF THE ITEMS IS TOO AWESOME*

SantaC

DCharlie said:
"ah please don't start it in this thread too. Atleast keep the compliants in my thread."

i'll race right over to that thread....

*turns 90 degrees*
*runs*
*turns 90 degrees*
*arrives at destination*
*goes to menu*
*chose item*
*select "RE4 DISK" item*
*select combine option*
*select "Complain" item*
*select combine option*
*SORRY YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMBINE THESE TWO ITEMS*