• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Bladenic

Hey GAF, dropping a question again:

RE6, better game than 5 as solo or the same making co-op pretty much THE way to enjoy it. Tho I didn't think 5 was that bad in solo but certainly way less annoying in co-op!

WAY better as solo. For one the AI is vastly improved. For another, the AI does not have a lifebar like Sheva. You never have to worry about them dying. And trust me this really doesn't affect the game's difficulty or anything. You can also equip a skill that will prevent the AI from helping you when you're about to die, thus making it even more solo.

I love what they did with it, and yet it seems people either don't care or still complain about it. Sigh.

branny

That Sheva was as functional as she was in RE5 is still a small wonder to me. I hated her, but I eventually got used to dealing with her crap by the end of that game.

RE6's AI partners are wayyy less annoying.

Trigger

RE6, better game than 5 as solo or the same making co-op pretty much THE way to enjoy it. Tho I didn't think 5 was that bad in solo but certainly way less annoying in co-op!

Better than 5. I think if I was playing with another person the scenarios would fly by though. Even on veteran difficulty I haven't struggled much.

Grisby

I'm finding it to be more frustrating solo. I've only ever played these games solo but there are so many more instances of having to rely on a AI co-op partner to get to a door in 6.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nearly finished with Leon's campaign. Loved the whole thing.

Tried to play some Revelations again as I was on an RE kick and, man, it's frustrating. The controls feel so limited and simple in comparison.

I'm finding it to be more terrible solo. I've only ever played these games solo but there are so many more instances of having to rely on a AI co-op partner to get to a door in 6.
OK, I keep seeing this complaint popping up and it hasn't once caused me a single issue. Just what the heck are you guys doing that's giving the AI so much trouble?

Curufinwe

WAY better as solo. For one the AI is vastly improved. For another, the AI does not have a lifebar like Sheva. You never have to worry about them dying. And trust me this really doesn't affect the game's difficulty or anything. You can also equip a skill that will prevent the AI from helping you when you're about to die, thus making it even more solo.

I love what they did with it, and yet it seems people either don't care or still complain about it. Sigh.

It is funny that the two main complaints about RE 5, not being able to move & shoot and the AI for Sheva, got fixed for the sequel but they managed to introduce even worse problems to make up for it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Was anyone else really creeped out by
mutated Simmons?

yeesh, that's by far the most disturbing monster design in the series. It made my flesh crawl just looking at it.

The monsters and the music are the two things I believe have a consistent level of high quality. I was happy how articles and reviews have brought attention to the monsters in the game as I feel they are some of the best in the series.

For
mutated Simmons, I wasn't very much creeped out by him at first. I just was associating him with animals, and thoughti t was kind of cool how he split up in real-time to transform into things like dogs, centaurs, dinosaurs, and giant insects. It wasn't until I paid more attention to how he looks (and his official art in the guide, since each transformation seems to have a piece of official art) where I really started to realize how freaky he looked. I didn't realize that he was composed of a lot of other peoples body parts and his own, and all of his limbs you can see things like bloody hands and feet or stretched out faces of anguish or horror sketched out onto his mutations forms. In game it's even freakier as you'll notice the human giblets that are sticking out actually move on their own like they're still alive or conscious.

While I'm not saying Resident Evil is some scientifically accurate series, I still think
the C-Virus is the most bullshit virus in the RE series. Not for its properties, but for the fact it can transform people into random shit for no apparent rhyme or reason. Giant Snakes, a swarm of bees, hell, freakin' Dinosaurs. The C-Virus seems to have no real logic in what it can turn people into.
However, I didn't care too much as it did make some great gameplay variety and each monster itself was quite enjoyable, so I'll let it slide.

Also for the longest time I wasn't exactly certain on why the C-Virus had a bug theme, but it all made a bit more sense when I realized
the C-Virus was made with the T-Veronica virus as its foundation. Thanks to News Bot for pointing that out, it my mind at least that made some properties of the virus make more sense to me and their explanations for why people with the C-Virus burn and mutate so rapidly with its combination with the G-Virus was workable enough for me under RE logic. The C-Virus likely has more to it than that, but the idea is that it was created by taking the T-Veronica Virus and trying to tackle its biggest flaw, having an extremely slow mutation process that required sleeping for years in extreme cold to be combined with the rapid transformations of the G-Virus . G-Virus weakness is how it makes its hosts mindless and the T-Veronica Virus weakness was how long it takes, so combining the twos elements eliminates the weaknesses and reaps more benefits from their strengths.

Neiteio

This game is really growing on me. I might roll my eyes at a back-asswards design choice here or there, but half of the time I come to appreciate why they did it the way they did (for instance, areas with infinite enemy spawns are for compatibility with Agent Hunt mode and don't require you to clear out all the enemies by any means).

With Leon's second chapter fresh in mind, it's sad to think that of the people who will skip this game based on the reviews, a good chunk of them would probably really dig a lot of what's going on here. Honestly, if you're a RE4 fan, Leon's first couple chapters make this a must-own in my book. Rent it for $2 or borrow it if you don't want to give Capcom money, but everyone should at least sample the vast amount of content in this game, and really learn the mechanics to get the most out of it.

Esura

Banned
The other day I finished up all of the four campaigns with the main characters but now I want to go over the other three campaigns with Helena, Piers, and Sherry. Do I go to the New Game + or do I just go to the chapter select? Although, there is really nothing for them to carry over as I haven't used them yet.

Nori Chan

So I tried how to get the special bosses to appear on Urban chaos and it actually works.

To get them to appear all you have to do is
Get 15 counter KILLS. It has to kill the zombie for it to count.

Grisby

OK, I keep seeing this complaint popping up and it hasn't once caused me a single issue. Just what the heck are you guys doing that's giving the AI so much trouble?
I'm not doing a damn thing. There are more then a couple of instances where the game forces you to fight a large number of enemies while waiting for a door to open or whatever (Leon's
second chapter where you have to go in to a church
for example). That's fine but it's not cool when you need to move to the next area and you go to a co-op door and your partner is still fighting or doing whatever. So you wait and an enemy attacks you (because they respawn almost all of the time in these areas) and it gets annoying.

Also, mostly in Jakes bits so far, I've had the AI sit there and not fire their gun. Not even when you highlight a target for them. Granted Helena did kick some ass in Leon's chapter so I dunno what was up with that.

It's not terrible man and sometimes it works out but it makes the game a little more trying then it should be (like a lot of small things). I'm glad they have unlimited ammo and health at least.

Shouta

It's much more friendly for solo play for sure. But Co-op is just as amazing now too. I've only played the campaign in co-op and it's really fun despite issues with the game.

The other day I finished up all of the four campaigns with the main characters but now I want to go over the other three campaigns with Helena, Piers, and Sherry. Do I go to the New Game + or do I just go to the chapter select? Although, there is really nothing for them to carry over as I haven't used them yet.

I'd just do New Game+ but yeah, there's nothing to carry over because they'll start with nothing.

We're left with, a skill system that really provides no real tactile feedback for investment. They do what they do, but the information is lacking, and the feedback loop almost intangible.

-The combat. Only have played Chris's so far on Normal but.. What happened? Perhaps it has a lot to do with his loadout, but man its really poor. The AR seems to fire tiddily-winks at the J'avo, with the handgun fairing a bit better(?!). After dying quite a bit even after making the suggested camera and laser sight changes in this thread, the guns just feel extremely weak. I'd be alright with the ammo constraints if the hitstun/feedback were better. If you shot a ganado in the face he'd stumble around for a few seconds allowing you to melee up, now most of the time I shoot half a guys face off completely but he's still in the fight, allowing no melee prompt and instead having to chance this new auto-combo/stamina thing that sometimes hits, and sometimes doesn't. Its like the J'avo have invincible animation frames-- maybe you're still doing some damage, but I have no way of seeing it. It irks me that the knife seems the most effective weapon, if you can get it to connect.

Just looking for some advice and some tips, love the series, enjoyed each of the games (and even some of the spin-offs) without much issue--- and now I'm here sitting at the end of Chapter 2 for Chris wondering just what the hell I'm doing wrong that I can't enjoy something that seems integral to the action nature of the past 2 numerated entries in this series. I want to stick with it, and maybe with some tweaking it gets a lot better, but I'm having a hard time doing so.

This is how I feel.

I loved dark souls. Can someone mod dark soul melee combat into this game?

jorgeton

Co op is awesome. I met some random and we've been blasting through the game
together online. The drop in drop out co op is very well done. It really enhances the game
IMHO. It reminds me of the blue phantoms in demons souls.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't like the fact that there are little to no green herbs to be founds in every area. I have to keep committing suicide in order for my health to be full after every checkpoint. :/

wait there are people playing as the main characters?

helena + hydra awaits you

Sojgat

Nearly finished with Leon's campaign. Loved the whole thing.

Tried to play some Revelations again as I was on an RE kick and, man, it's frustrating. The controls feel so limited and simple in comparison.

It's happened to me a few times, usually when the AI is left fighting enemies and decides not follow you. Sometimes you just have to call them. My biggest issue is when they revive you from a downed state straight away, even when you have multiple enemies standing right on top of you. You get killed just as you finish getting up, even before you have a chance to roll.

branny

I don't like the fact that there are little to no green herbs to be founds in every area. I have to keep committing suicide in order for my health to be full after every checkpoint. :/
Lol, I don't mind it actually. It makes the game way more tense than I was expecting.

Trigger

For most of Chris 1 I had no clue how herbs worked in this game and didn't know how to heal myself. These last two chapters I've been doing feel like a revelation.

So I've just started Chris's campaign and I kind of like what they've done to him. I've always thought of him as the 'Ryu' of Resident Evil in that he is very stoic, dependable and never shows emotion. It's kinda cool that you see him in a more human and messed-up light. Hopefully the campaign is good...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's happened to me a few times, usually when the AI is left fighting enemies and decides not follow you. Sometimes you just have to call them. My biggest issue is when they revive you from a downed state straight away, even when you have multiple enemies standing right on top of you. You get killed just as you finish getting up, even before you have a chance to roll.

Field Medic is amazing for solo play. Only have level 2 but they frequently revive me with 3 or 4 pills.

Replicant

When was the last time you played RE4? This is a real question, not a rhetorical one.

You're entitled to feel however you want about the game, but you're making a factual claim about the environments in the game and it is way off base.

2 months ago. And I suppose your assessment is more accurate? The fact that your username is taken from the game suggests that you're incapable of making accurate and non-biased comment about that game's flaws and shortcomings.

The lack of health items is definitely alarming. Even when I equipped item drop skill, I rarely got health items, which makes the game a lot more difficult. But instead of committing suicide, I end up re-doing every part that I feel is not perfect or causing me too much health until I get it almost perfect with minimal health lost.

Shouta

2 months ago. And I suppose your assessment is more accurate? The fact that your username is taken from the game suggests that you're incapable of making accurate and non-biased comment about that game's flaws and shortcomings.

The lack of health items is definitely alarming. Even when I equipped item drop skill, I rarely got health items, which makes the game a lot more difficult. But instead of committing suicide, I end up re-doing every part that I feel is not perfect or causing me too much health until I get it almost perfect with minimal health lost.

Considering ammo drops are plentiful, I'm kinda ok with health drops being a little sparse, at least on Normal. I haven't played the higher difficulties yet though. I usually share heals with my co-op partner though which helps.

Trigger

Field Medic is a lifesaver. The recovery animation ignores attacks (at least in solo play) and being able to fight normally is essential. The regular rescue from your partner just left you limping.

Did u know u could combine teh red herbs wit teh green herbs and get even more pills? :eek:

*takes notes*

Lucent

They sure do drop a lot of skill points/chess pieces (and I don't mean that as in a lot of points, just a lot of those drops). You'd think you'd be happy about it, but no. I want ammo and herbs, you stupid enemies. Why are you playing chess anyway? =x

Did u know u could combine teh red herbs wit teh green herbs and get even more pills? :eek:

I would've thought people would've done this anyway just because green+red has always been the combination you want since the first game. Red+green was always as good as a first-aid spray. So the fact it gives you enough pills to refill your health completely makes sense. lol.

Esura

Banned
I'd just do New Game+ but yeah, there's nothing to carry over because they'll start with nothing.

So with new game + do it start over everything, meaning I cannot access the fourth chapter or cannot jump between chapters until I finish them again?

wait there are people playing as the main characters?

helena + hydra awaits you

Yeah, I wanted to experience the game with the main characters of those campaign first. I've been looking forward to playing with Sherry for the longest though. She is so freaking cute. Move over Helena and
Ada
, Sherry is in town. :p

Guys... I just slid into cover.

This changes everything.

You haven't seen all of it yet. Master dodging, timing your back dives, and get the hang of tech rolling (didn't ever think I'd use that term for a RE game) and you will feel like some sort of beasty beast. Then you'd be like, man what a buncha jokas! This is like the Bayonetta of shooters.

branny

This reminds me of one of the things I don't like about RE6. Not health drops being rare (I don't even think I've gotten one yet off a regular enemy), but how getting skill points as a drop really bums me out. It's a poor substitute for money, imo.

Getting ammo or health from enemies is way more exciting.

Curufinwe

Luckily I have a non RE-4 based username and avatar, and his assessment is more accurate. The Castle and Island environments are very different than the Village. There's plenty of variety.

Someone with your custom tag and avatar should really stick to debating arguments, rather than going down the road you've chosen.

Esura

Banned
This reminds me of one of the things I don't like about RE6. Not health drops being rare (I don't even think I've gotten one yet off a regular enemy), but how getting skill points as a drop really bums me out. It's a poor substitute for money, imo.

Getting ammo or health from enemies is way more exciting.

I don't think the skill drops would be so bad if they at least gave you MORE of them. 50 or 100 drops for regular enemies is just downright unacceptable, especially considering how freaking expensive skills are. It was so much easier getting cash in RE4/5 than getting skills in RE6. Even if you hunt for the big skill points or take on the bigger enemies for bigger skill drops you still need to essentially do a bunch of them to get the good skills. Mercenaries skills are even more expensive. This game is gonna be a big freaking grindfest...

Afrocious

Woo! Just got my first S rank in Mercenaries solo! Can't wait to actually unlock folks other than costumes and
Helena

Dacon

Banned
Just finished Leon's campaign.

That one campaign was better than all of RE5 for me. The controls are just so much better imo. I cant wait to tackle the others.

Sojgat

I don't think the skill drops would be so bad if they at least gave you MORE of them. 50 or 100 drops for regular enemies is just downright unacceptable, especially considering how freaking expensive skills are. It was so much easier getting cash in RE4/5 than getting skills in RE6. Even if you hunt for the big skill points or take on the bigger enemies for bigger skill drops you still need to essentially do a bunch of them to get the good skills. Mercenaries skills are even more expensive. This game is gonna be a big freaking grindfest...

There are some pretty good ways to farm for points, somebody else posted this one:

How to Farm Skill Points

Method #1: Solo
Following this method, you should be able to make 5,000 Skill Points per run. Each run should only take about six minutes to complete.
Load Leon’s Campaign and begin Chapter 4. Take the Magnum and ammo, you should be able to make the run with just the Magnum and ammo alone.
Take out the first enemy, get through the cutscene, and get to the back of the ship where you can find a 5,000 Skill Point pick-up.
Exit through the doorway, use the valve, open, and pull the hatch then shoot through the remaining enemies.
Continue fighting through enemies until you reach the saved checkpoint. Here, quit and repeat by reloading the Chapter.

Shouta

So with new game + do it start over everything, meaning I cannot access the fourth chapter or cannot jump between chapters until I finish them again?

All the chapters are individual contained so you can stop when it ends and pick up whenever. You should be able to jump, I think. But you're doing the entire game over anyway so. There really is no difference in the end, I think.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I find that Mercenaries is the best for Skill Point Hoarding. It seems the longer you stay alive, the more and more enemies you kill start dropping skill points. In Mercs Mode, the enemies cannot drop any less than 500 skill points when they drop it, and later into the match more and more enemies (partially because of the increased number of enemies and the tougher enemies that come into play) start dropping a ton. I find myself getting somewhere between 15,000-30,000 skill points per good Mercs run. Helps to play co-op for a better combo (I swear their more likely to drop skill points the higher combo you have) and that you can just run up and pick-up skill points dropped by enemies your friend/partner has downed.

RedSwirl

The end of Chris chapter 3 was just... WTF. Everything about that sequence just screamed that it didn't fit in this game, from the gameplay to the graphics showing that the engine clearly wasn't built for it.

Lucent

There are some pretty good ways to farm for points, somebody else posted this one:

You can also play Mercenaries over and over. If you play well enough, you usually get quite a bit of skill points. I know I only played a handful of Mercs and I had at least 25,000 skill points before I actually started the story and I bought 3 skills. The skill points seem to be universal between mercs and the campaigns.

EDIT: Damn. Dusk Golem beat me. =l

Just finished Leon Chapter 1. IMO its a solid game so far. QTE are a bit too much but the controls feel more solid.

I miss the whole press X to read a sentence of what the MC thinks of the scene. Like if you did it in at a messy desk it'll say something like "Looks like somebody was in a rush moments ago" or something about the scene. ( not sure which RE had it).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Anybody want to partner up with me and play on stream? PSN. And I'll be starting completely from the beginning.

Drewfonse

So I've finished the Prelude and Chris 1, and I'm in the middle of Chris 2. Really enjoying it, but.....I'm starting to get a little motion sick. I've slowed down both the aiming and the camera, and it has helped, but it's still there. I did play for a solid 2 hrs without projectile vomiting, so I guess that's something.

For those of you who have gotten a bit queasy, do the campaigns differ in terms of that effect? Any campaign more nausea inducing than the others? Tips? I realize that I'm setting someone up for a terrible joke.

Also what's up with the Vanquish slide? How do you do it? Can all of the characters bust it out? Does it need to be purchased? Thanks, guys.

Surprisingly fun game.

MrDaravon

I haven't been following this much post launch, but have they said anything at all about paches post-release to address any complaints? I played the demo multiple times, and the main thing stopping me from picking the game up (aside from only an absurd 3 mercs maps on disc with another 3 held hostage by separate pre-order bonuses, fuck you Capcom) is how close the camera/FOV is. This is the only game I've ever played where I literally can't deal with it, it was actually giving me a headache. If there was an option to pull it back a bit for the whole game (apparently some parts of the game have a different perspective?) I'd probably bite.

RedSwirl

Oh, and for some reason I am out of ammo like, all the time with Chris. It's been feeling a lot like RE1 actually. Even as Leon I found myself dumping items sometimes.

Sojgat

I find that Mercenaries is the best for Skill Point Hoarding. It seems the longer you stay alive, the more and more enemies you kill start dropping skill points. In Mercs Mode, the enemies cannot drop any less than 500 skill points when they drop it, and later into the match more and more enemies (partially because of the increased number of enemies and the tougher enemies that come into play) start dropping a ton. I find myself getting somewhere between 15,000-30,000 skill points per good Mercs run. Helps to play co-op for a better combo (I swear their more likely to drop skill points the higher combo you have) and that you can just run up and pick-up skill points dropped by enemies your friend/partner has downed.

You can also play Mercenaries over and over. If you play well enough, you usually get quite a bit of skill points. I know I only played a handful of Mercs and I had at least 25,000 skill points before I actually started the story and I bought 3 skills. The skill points seem to be universal between mercs and the campaigns.

EDIT: Damn. Dusk Golem beat me. =l

I had no idea, thanks:)

Top Bottom