• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Gotcha, every time I use cover it works just fine, but then again, I don't find myself using it that much, more fun to dash or roll around!!

Anybody wanna do Chris chapter 1-3 on Professional with me? I did those 3 on Veteran first before doing Pro for the rest of the game and want to get those out of the way

I'm convinced that Chris chapters 1 and 2 were balanced under the assumption you would have the skill point upgrades from completing Leons campaign.

just tried the PS3 version... everything feels choppy as fuck and too dark. It feels like they tried to do more than the hardware would alow them to do and the console is chugging as a result. I honestly enjoyed number 5 more than this, the controls felt tighter and the graphics seemed better actually, although I did play number 5 on the 360.

This is the first game in quite a while I feel buyer's remorse for.

RedSwirl

Has anybody had to reload a save with infinite ammo turned on? I'm thinking of doing this at the end of Chris' campaign.

RedSwirl

Chris' final boss is borderline broken as Chris (in single player). I just got to a part where I had to do something that was absolutely impossible due to lack of ammo.

ironcreed

Banned
Chris' final boss is borderline broken as Chris (in single player). I just got to a part where I had to do something that was absolutely impossible due to lack of ammo.

Talk like this is not making me look forward to it. I find Chris's campaign so bad I am honestly having trouble maintaining interest. I called it a night when I got to chapter 4.

Sojgat

I'm convinced that Chris chapters 1 and 2 were balanced under the assumption you would have the skill point upgrades from completing Leons campaign.

Perhaps, but I feel it's mainly that the developers expected players to know how they intend them to play without ever communicating it well. I have never run short on ammo during any of Chris's chapters, even playing with no skills equipped. There's plenty around, if you play with the options the game gives you. Knowing about those options is a problem even for very experienced gamers, it's not even clear they exist to most people.

ezekial45

Banned

Yeah, it's pretty poorly designed. I had to run around and wait for the
acid sacs
to drop ammo.

beastmode

Can't say I care too much about this game's faults. The highs and co-op clowning make it probably the best shooter I've played this year besides Deus Ex HR. (Including: Borderlands 2, Black Mesa, Vanquish, GR Future Soldier, Saints Row 3, and Peace Walker, I believe.)

Neiteio

just tried the PS3 version... everything feels choppy as fuck and too dark. It feels like they tried to do more than the hardware would alow them to do and the console is chugging as a result. I honestly enjoyed number 5 more than this, the controls felt tighter and the graphics seemed better actually, although I did play number 5 on the 360.

My first impressions were similar, but I love it now. Try changing to laser sight, changing camera sensitivity to 2 (will make everything move smoother), bump aiming to 7, increase brightness to 30, and invert/devert as necessary.

The controls are plenty tight, but the game unfortunately doesn't explain its nuances. Check out this video -- here's how it's done:

- You can insta-mix -- and insta-load -- herbs (both green AND red) into tablets in your case by holding R2 and hitting Square when your pill case is empty.

- You can paint enemy targets for your AI partner to priortize by aiming at the enemy and tapping Circle.

- You can disarm armed zombies by hitting them twice with a melee, which dazes them so that the third melee wrenches the weapon out of their hands and kills them.

- You can melee enemies standing behind you, elbowing them in the face to stun them, setting them up for a different melee.

- You can guarantee the context-sensitive melee by shooting an enemy in the head just once to daze them, then getting close and hitting R1.

- You can dash with X and tap L1 to slide, and while sliding you can shoot with R1, or spin around mid-slide by pulling back on the analog.

- You can shoulder-check enemies to stagger them by dashing with X and meleeing them at close range.

- You can use L1 + X + a direction (left, right, forward, or back) to leap to the ground in that direction, dodging attacks and throwing off enemy tracking. Releasing L1 the moment you hit the ground causes you to hop back to your feet. Holding L1 will allow you to shoot from the ground. Tapping left or right will cause you to roll in circles around your enemy.

- You can do the back version of the above the moment you're hit to the ground by an enemy to instantly roll back to your feet. Also note you'll be knocked over every time a segment of your health bar is fully depleted.

- Speaking of bars, note your stamina meter governs how many melee moves you can pull off before you start tiring out. Once tired, slide into cover (or stand next to cover and use X to snap, if you must) to quickly recover stamina.

- You can tap L1 and R1 at the same time to do a quick shot, where you automatically target and shoot the nearest enemy, subsequent taps delivering multiple follow-up shots (try this with the Hydra as Helena -- she does a series of over-the-top combat rolls, firing off a round with each one).

- You can twirl both analog sticks to do the "rotating" QTES twice as fast.

Bladenic

Leon chapter 4, I can't get one of the keys. There are seemingly two doors leading to the area where it is and both are blocked from the other side. There's a marker at this random spot but I can't do anything around it. I'm just running around like an idiot right now.

Edit: and sure enough I figure it out right after posting this.

RedSwirl

Leon chapter 4, I can't get one of the keys. There are seemingly two doors leading to the area where it is and both are blocked from the other side. There's a marker at this random spot but I can't do anything around it. I'm just running around like an idiot right now.

That part was honestly better in
Chris'
game.

ezekial45

Banned

If I recall correctly, there is a ladder around there that you can use to access that area. You can try watching a playthrough on YT to be sure.

Neiteio

I am actually afraid I am going to break my Dualshock from doing that. Or at the very least get some unwanted drift.
Again, if you use both analog sticks, it goes twice as fast, which makes it so much easier. The game really should show two analog sticks to indicate this.

I supposed I could turn it on, doesn't really make a difference does it? I've already started chapter 1 solo, though. You can join in for chapter 2 if you'd like when I get there.
I don't know how joining affects ammo and I had already thrown my ammo out.
ill join, my PSN is SPECTER-delta.

RedSwirl

Also, I think this game look great on PS3. It's a bit sluggish framerate-wise but still very acceptable. Lighting is really good too. The only real sacrifice is in the model detail of the environments.

I don't know how joining affects ammo and I had already thrown my ammo out.
ill join, my PSN is SPECTER-delta.

Thanks, I think OriginofHysteria gets first dibs, though, he did respond first.

But if you want to add me on PSN for mercs sometime or something else that's cool, too =P

Is anyone else getting communications errors when trying to search for games right now?

Getting lots of communication errors all over the place with this game. It's the only reason I'm in offline mode right now...

ironcreed

Banned
Some areas do indeed look really nice, but others look completely and totally unfinished, low budget and absolutely horrible. Such a mixed bag.

Thanks, I think OriginofHysteria gets first dibs, though, he did respond first.

But if you want to add me on PSN for mercs sometime or something else that's cool, too =P

Getting lots of communication errors all over the place with this game. It's the only reason I'm in offline mode right now...

No you can go ahead and start a game with the other person, something just popped up. I'll join for another game sometime later though!

Sojgat

My first impressions were similar, but I love it now. Try changing to laser sight, changing camera sensitivity to 2 (will make everything move smoother), bump aiming to 7, increase brightness to 30, and invert/devert as necessary.

The controls are plenty tight, but the game unfortunately doesn't explain its nuances. Check out this video -- here's how it's done:

- You can insta-mix -- and insta-load -- herbs (both green AND red) into tablets in your case by holding R2 and hitting Square when your pill case is empty.

- You can paint enemy targets for your AI partner to priortize by aiming at the enemy and tapping Circle.

- You can disarm armed zombies by hitting them twice with a melee, which dazes them so that the third melee wrenches the weapon out of their hands and kills them.

- You can melee enemies standing behind you, elbowing them in the face to stun them, setting them up for a different melee.

- You can guarantee the context-sensitive melee by shooting an enemy in the head just once to daze them, then getting close and hitting R1.

- You can dash with X and tap L1 to slide, and while sliding you can shoot with R1, or spin around mid-slide by pulling back on the analog.

- You can shoulder-check enemies to stagger them by dashing with X and meleeing them at close range.

- You can use L1 + X + a direction (left, right, forward, or back) to leap to the ground in that direction, dodging attacks and throwing off enemy tracking. Releasing L1 the moment you hit the ground causes you to hop back to your feet. Holding L1 will allow you to shoot from the ground. Tapping left or right will cause you to roll in circles around your enemy.

- You can do the back version of the above the moment you're hit to the ground by an enemy to instantly roll back to your feet. Also note you'll be knocked over every time a segment of your health bar is fully depleted.

- Speaking of bars, note your stamina meter governs how many melee moves you can pull off before you start tiring out. Once tired, slide into cover (or stand next to cover and use X to snap, if you must) to quickly recover stamina.

- You can tap L1 and R1 at the same time to do a quick shot, where you automatically target and shoot the nearest enemy, subsequent taps delivering multiple follow-up shots (try this with the Hydra as Helena -- she does a series of over-the-top combat rolls, firing off a round with each one).

- You can twirl both analog sticks to do the "rotating" QTES twice as fast.

This stuff has been explained so many times, it almost needs it's own thread "how to play Resident Evil 6". I don't know if I'm even joking.

Somebody explains it very eloquently as you have done here, but 3-4 pages later people are asking the same questions.

Just finished Chris Chapter 3 and its pretty bleh. Some great moments climaxing in a god awful part.
one cool thing is I could see leon and helena in a seperate room before a cutscene with Leon and Carla

I don't think the PS3 is the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the game itself.

I haven't noticed any slowdown yet, but I have had to adjust the brightness more often than any game I've ever played.

"Adjust the brightness so the 6 is barely visible" HA! Following the directions that CAPCOM built within the game makes the game virtually unplayable, you can't see shit.

RE6 is the most expensive clusterfuck I've ever seen. It kills me though because I MUST PLAY IT, I'm literally like a zombie when it comes to RE. I'm constantly being annoyed and frustrated with this game but I still keep playing.

RedSwirl

Finished Chris' campaign. Overall I think it's more even than Leon's, but still suffers from some pretty unsuccessful level design and a huge lack of ammo later on.

This stuff has been explained so many times, it almost needs it's own thread "how to play Resident Evil 6". I don't know if I'm even joking.

Somebody explains it very eloquently as you have done here, but 3-4 pages later people are asking the same questions.

That means the game does a shitty job of letting you know you can do this. I'm not asking for an in-your-face tutorial, but some intuitive UI elements could've highlighted a lot of that. I was able to figure out maybe half of the things on that list through gameplay of two campaigns. Still couldn't figure out how to stagger J'Avo. It's definitely not the same as staggering zombies.

Replicant

You're not meant to shoot him much. I learned that by accident. What you need to do is to just
shoot the red thing while occasionally tells Piers to "move in". This will unleash Piers' lightning attack, dropping the octo to the ground. Shoot him a bit or get close in using knife so he'll turn into coocon. While in coocon form, tells Piers to "move in" again so he'll electrocute the coocon until it explodes. Then get closer and press R1. Do it 3 times and he should be dead
. for me Chris' final boss is sooo much easier than Leon's pain-in-the-ass final boss.

You're not meant to shoot him much. I learned that by accident. What you need to do is to just
shoot the red thing while occasionally tells Piers to "move in". This will unleash Piers' lightning attack, dropping the octo to the ground. Shoot him a bit or get close in using knife so he'll turn into coocon. While in coocon form, tells Piers to "move in" again so he'll electrocute the coocon. Then get closer and press R1. Do it 3 times and he should be dead
. for me Chris' final boss is sooo much easier than Leon's pain-in-the-ass final boss.
agree.

Sojgat

Finished Chris' campaign. Overall I think it's more even than Leon's, but still suffers from some pretty unsuccessful level design and a huge lack of ammo later on.

That means the game does a shitty job of letting you know you can do this. I'm not asking for an in-your-face tutorial, but some intuitive UI elements could've highlighted a lot of that. I was able to figure out maybe half of the things on that list through gameplay of two campaigns. Still couldn't figure out how to stagger J'Avo. It's definitely not the same as staggering zombies.

I agree, I'm just wondering if starting a thread or pinning a detailed guide to the OT front page or something, wouldn't be a bad idea.

shoot the red thing while occasionally tells Piers to "move in". This will unleash Piers' lightning attack, dropping the octo to the ground. Shoot him a bit or get close in using knife so he'll turn into coocon. While in coocon form, tells Piers to "move in" again so he'll electrocute the coocon until it explodes. Then get closer and press R1. Do it 3 times and he should be dead

Yet I beat his boss on the first try without dying (on normal), I stumbled across the answer by luck though, most enemies want to
impale themselves on the QTEs, not an actual object
. Impressions and experiences are all over the place with this game.

So I just realized during Chris chapter 4...

The enemies, and the environment. It's all reminiscent of Revelations. Are chris and piers fighting gooeys (I think that's their name)?

Randomly saying... Chris' campaign has been really lame and crappy so far but now it's getting interesting.

beastmode

I like there being no tutorial. Gives you a chance to figure out things on your own (often by surprise.) Few shooters have me discovering new mechanics after 5+ hours.

Reminds me of starting out as a cloaking wuss in Crysis but learning how to combine powers effectively for each situation until I end up playing like this: http://youtu.be/-y5KiJt9oxg?t=1m25s

It's not exactly hard to find tips on Gaf, either.

Lucentto

Banned
If RE6 has shown me one thing, it is my absolute hatred for QTEs. I am never playing another game with QTEs, fuck it, I am done. Never again, ever. Such a piece of shit action gaming trend, I am legit angry. They are not even difficult, they just piss me off to no end.

So I just realized during Chris chapter 4...

The enemies, and the environment. It's all reminiscent of Revelations. Are chris and piers fighting gooeys (I think that's their name)?

Randomly saying... Chris' campaign has been really lame and crappy so far but now it's getting interesting.
yep
Really reminded me of the Ooze

Steel Beast mercs map sucks =(
Its the best map for Piers and Ada.

Top Bottom