• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

So I've finished the Prelude and Chris 1, and I'm in the middle of Chris 2. Really enjoying it, but.....I'm starting to get a little motion sick. I've slowed down both the aiming and the camera, and it has helped, but it's still there. I did play for a solid 2 hrs without projectile vomiting, so I guess that's something.

For those of you who have gotten a bit queasy, do the campaigns differ in terms of that effect? Any campaign more nausea inducing than the others? Tips? I realize that I'm setting someone up for a terrible joke.

Also what's up with the Vanquish slide? How do you do it? Can all of the characters bust it out? Does it need to be purchased? Thanks, guys.

Surprisingly fun game.
Hold A/X to go into a run and then press the aim button to go into a slide. All characters can do it, no skill upgrades required.

antitrop

Holy shit, just finished Leon's campaign.

His final boss has to be one of the absolute worst in all of video games. It just goes on. And on. And on. And then on, and on again.

And the dialogue had me laughing out loud.

Thanks. How about rolling in different directions? Can I do that? I don't have the game on right now or I'd experiment.

Yup, hold aim and then press A/X + your desired direction, keeping Aim held will result in you staying on the ground. (At least I'm 99% sure that's how it goes :p It's crazy that this stuff isn't really tutorialized in game)

Bollocks

Holy shit, just finished Leon's campaign.

His final boss has to be one of the absolute worst in all of video games. It just goes on. And on. And on. And then on, and on again.

And the dialogue had me laughing out loud.

Welcome to Resident Evil, you must be new to the series?

fionel

Played a couple of co-op sessions with my buddy last night at Chris Ch2 but got disconnected both times 15 min/40 min into the session respectively. Not only did we have to forfeit our progress in that chapter when we played it solo prior with no way to join each other's campaign mid chapter, but disconnecting 100% out of 2 tries is very frustrating. Is there anyway to circumvent this?? Or have they just made joining multiplayer session mid-chapter incredibly hard to find?

Bladenic

I'm finding it to be more frustrating solo. I've only ever played these games solo but there are so many more instances of having to rely on a AI co-op partner to get to a door in 6.

Okay, there is literally zero ways you could have issues... The AI can't die, it switches to powerful weapons, melees very well, and dodges quite well. I just did Leon chapter 3 where there are lots of parts where you are separated from your partner and there were no issues from Helena. I mean, I know people have different experiences but I can't see how the AI would be a big problem at all.

Sojgat

I haven't been following this much post launch, but have they said anything at all about paches post-release to address any complaints? I played the demo multiple times, and the main thing stopping me from picking the game up (aside from only an absurd 3 mercs maps on disc with another 3 held hostage by separate pre-order bonuses, fuck you Capcom) is how close the camera/FOV is. This is the only game I've ever played where I literally can't deal with it, it was actually giving me a headache. If there was an option to pull it back a bit for the whole game (apparently some parts of the game have a different perspective?) I'd probably bite.

Nothing said yet, if Capcom managed to improve the camera with a patch the playabilty of this game would go through the roof.

Many of the other complaints like the QTEs, for the combat at least, become way easier when you know which ones are associated with what enemies. Some enemies for example if you attack during certain states will trigger entire QTE melee strings. I think this is actually amazingly cool.

Please Capcom, just fix the damn camera.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
So I've finished the Prelude and Chris 1, and I'm in the middle of Chris 2. Really enjoying it, but.....I'm starting to get a little motion sick. I've slowed down both the aiming and the camera, and it has helped, but it's still there. I did play for a solid 2 hrs without projectile vomiting, so I guess that's something.

For those of you who have gotten a bit queasy, do the campaigns differ in terms of that effect? Any campaign more nausea inducing than the others? Tips? I realize that I'm setting someone up for a terrible joke.

Also what's up with the Vanquish slide? How do you do it? Can all of the characters bust it out? Does it need to be purchased? Thanks, guys.

Surprisingly fun game.

It's the narrow FoV that is causing the queasy feeling. I get it too man :(

Lucent

Nothing said yet, if Capcom managed to improve the camera with a patch the playabilty of this game would go through the roof.

Many of the other complaints like the QTEs, for the combat at least, become way easier when you know which ones are associated with what enemies. Some enemies for example if you attack during certain states will trigger entire QTE melee strings. I think this is actually amazingly cool.

I wouldn't think it'd be too hard either. They had a nice camera in the prelude. It's really weird thinking about why they did that. It's okay to have that camera here but not there. What? Provide a choice. Like how GTA3 and on let you click the stick and choose between at least 3 different views. You could have it on your character's back much like this game or have your character's whole body present. Though I don't really care about seeing the whole body. Just about as much as you could in the previous games.

Grisby

Wait, how do I unlock other characters in Mercs? Probably 75 done with the game and I've only got three dudes to start with.

Wait, how do I unlock other characters in Mercs? Probably 75 done with the game and I've only got three dudes to start with.
Spoiler tagging it just in case.
You need a B Rank in each of the maps to unlock a character. B rank in Urban Chaos get you Helena, B in Steel Beast gets you Piers, and B in Mining Depths gets you Sherry.

Replicant

Luckily I have a non RE-4 based username and avatar, and his assessment is more accurate. The Castle and Island environments are very different than the Village. There's plenty of variety.

Someone with your custom tag and avatar should really stick to debating arguments, rather than going down the road you've chosen.

You're contempt/trolling of this game and championing of RE4 can be seen all over this thread though. How is yours a fair assessment?

And back-seat modding to threaten other? Really?

This reminds me of one of the things I don't like about RE6. Not health drops being rare (I don't even think I've gotten one yet off a regular enemy), but how getting skill points as a drop really bums me out. It's a poor substitute for money, imo.

Getting ammo or health from enemies is way more exciting.

I don't think skill points should even need to be picked up. Just let us auto-earned it. Yes, the game doesn't make sense in the first place but collecting chest pieces in the midst of Biohazard infection feels strange. .

Grisby

Ha ha each time I finish Mercs Chris does the jesus pose.
Spoiler tagging it just in case.
You need a B Rank in each of the maps to unlock a character. B rank in Urban Chaos get you Helena, B in Steel Beast gets you Piers, and B in Mining Depths gets you Sherry.
Thanks bud.

MrDaravon

Surprisingly fun game.

It's the narrow FoV that is causing the queasy feeling. I get it too man :(

I wouldn't think it'd be too hard either. They had a nice camera in the prelude. It's really weird thinking about why they did that. It's okay to have that camera here but not there. What? Provide a choice. Like how GTA3 and on let you click the stick and choose between at least 3 different views. You could have it on your character's back much like this game or have your character's whole body present. Though I don't really care about seeing the whole body. Just about as much as you could in the previous games.

Thank God, I thought it was just me. I don't get queasy, I just seem to get a headache on trying to focus on anything, and at least in the demo pretty much every hit I took I felt it was because I couldn't see shit. Hopefully they'll patch it in at least as an option, they'd probably get a sale from me if they did. I have a feeling they won't though.

Finished Ada's, damn I love her and holy shit her credits theme <3 She needs to star in her own game, theres a shit ton that we still dont know about her.

Replicant

Is there no split screen co-op in this one?

There is for "The Mercenaries".

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/23/resident-evil-6-new-screens-show-split-screen-co-op-and-skill-trees/

Finished Ada's, damn I love her and holy shit her credits theme <3 She needs to star in her own game, theres a shit ton that we still dont know about her.

Agree 100%. Question though:
Did she eventually get her name cleared out in her campaign? I've yet to complete it. Hate that people think she was the one who killed the mercs in the 3 main campaigns.

Jawmuncher

That's a big part of her character's appeal though.

Just throwing this out there.
For a good chunk of RE characters brought up we still don't know a shit ton about them.
For Ada it makes sense since it is indeed part of her charcater, but the others not so much.

ironcreed

Banned
Ugh, Chris's campaign is making this game go downhill fast for me. Just completed Chapters 2 & 3 and there is just so much that feels wrong here. It's like a big budget game being presented with low budget design and it is all just starting to clash in a very ugly way. For instance,
the car chase sequence in Chapter 3. The aiming and driving, the visuals... all just beyond terrible. I have played budget games that do it better.

Another point of note, a lack of ammo is a great thing in a well designed survival horror game. But when the game is trying to be an actiony cover shooter, like it is very much doing in Chris's campaign, it makes absolutely no sense. I will have like 5-10 rounds for my pistol left and nothing else and am being sniped from guys with perfect aim from way off, or will be in a crowded room against enemies with a protective shell. It is not that it's difficult, it is just horribly designed and is trying to be two things at once, but fails at both in trying to do so. Either be full on shoot 'em up action or be survival horror. Trying to mix elements of the two together results in a clusterfuck.

Anyway, I hope Jake's and Ada's campaigns fare better. So far, I would give Leon's a 7 and Chris's about a 5. I swear, I have never seen a game with so much good and bad clumped together with such a warped mish-mash of ideas. As I have said before, there is a good game in here, but it is evident that there was indeed too many cooks with their hands in the pot, adding a mixture of cheap and expensive ingredients as they all tried to stir it. To top it all off, they did not even cook it long enough. It saddens me because there is a lot here I like, but the more I play, the more I see that just brings it all crashing down.

I cannot understand why every single game i try to join in Mercs tells me the lobby is full. Every single one. Without fail.

I refuse to believe someone joined all those games i have tried in the space of the 5 seconds it took to load up or refresh the list.

Anyway, I am sick and tired of that dam urban chaos map.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ugh, Chris's campaign is making this game go downhill fast for me. Just completed Chapters 2 & 3 and there is just so much that feels wrong here. It's like a big budget game being presented with low budget design and it is all just starting to clash in a very ugly way. For instance,
the car chase sequence in Chapter 3. The aiming and driving, the visuals... all just beyond terrible. I have played budget games that do it better.

Another point of note, a lack of ammo is a great thing in a well designed survival horror game. But when the game is trying to be an actiony cover shooter, like it is very much doing in Chris's campaign, it makes absolutely no sense. I will have like 5-10 rounds for my pistol left and nothing else and am being sniped from guys with perfect aim from way off, or will be in a crowded room against enemies with a protective shell. It is not that it's difficult, it is just horribly designed and is trying to be two things at once, but fails at both in trying to do so. Either be full on shoot 'em up action or be survival horror. Trying to mix elements of the two together results in a clusterfuck.

Anyway, I hope Jake's and Ada's campaigns fare better. So far, I would give Leon's a 7 and Chris's about a 5. I swear, I have never seen a game with so much good and bad clumped together with such a warped mish-mash of ideas. As I have said before, there is a good game in here, but it is evident that there was indeed too many cooks with their hands in the pot, adding a mixture of cheap and expensive ingredients as they all tried to stir it. To top it all off, they did not even cook it long enough. It saddens me because there is a lot here I like, but the more I play, the more I see that just brings it all crashing down.

Completely agree with complaints about Chris. That scene that you spoilered was z-grade gaming. No audiovisual feedback of any kind from your bullets hitting your targets? Holy shit. It's like they said "let's make the worst possible version of
the jeep chase from Uncharted 2
" and then succeeded with flying colors.

The ammo shortage problem goes away for much of chapters 4 and 5, so you have that to look forward to. There's also another sequence kind of like the spoilered sequence that might be even worse. Enjoy!

ironcreed

Banned
Completely agree with complaints about Chris. That scene that you spoilered was z-grade gaming. No audiovisual feedback of any kind from your bullets hitting your targets? Holy shit. It's like they said "let's make the worst possible version of
the jeep chase from Uncharted 2
" and then succeeded with flying colors.

The ammo shortage problem goes away for much of chapters 4 and 5, so you have that to look forward to. There's also another sequence kind of like the spoilered sequence that might be even worse. Enjoy!

Honestly, after I finish Chris's campaign I think I'll just mess around with Mercs and maybe Agent Hunt mode and see how that goes. I went from being high in Leon's campaign, to being soured halfway through and then brought up again by a nice long boss fight. Now with Chris's campaign, I just fell straight off a cliff. The most bipolar game ever and I honestly don't know how many more drastic 'mood swings' I can take here. I have Borderlands 2 waiting for me and will be getting Dishonored next week. I really just want to play something I can enjoy all the way through, lol.

The La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo?

Those are the ones. Maybe its because I played through MGS4 shortly before this but the story in this game seems just as convoluted* as the MGS franchise to the point that they intersect at some point.

*I don't mean this pejoratively, I actually like how crazy these franchises are.

Replicant

I really feel like the end of this game reveals that the Patriots are the ones behind Umbrella.

The Patriots (MGS), The Illuminati (Deus Ex: HR), and now
The Family
(Resident Evil). I sometimes wonder if gamemakers seriously believe that such groups actually exist or if it's just a convenient way to create never-ending supply of villains for their game.

Jawmuncher

Those are the ones. Maybe its because I played through MGS4 shortly before this but the story in this game seems just as convoluted* as the MGS franchise to the point that they intersect at some point.*I don't mean this pejoratively, I actually like how crazy these franchises are.

Just found out what project ogre is.
Resident Evil and MGS Crossover.

Lucent

Those are the ones. Maybe its because I played through MGS4 shortly before this but the story in this game seems just as convoluted* as the MGS franchise to the point that they intersect at some point.

*I don't mean this pejoratively, I actually like how crazy these franchises are.

What the he...new word acquired. lol

njean777

The only problem I am having so far with this game is the lack of ammo in chris's campaign. Since they went the TPS route they should have given you an adequate amount of ammo. I am at the part with
two big ogres are stomping around the city and I have to kill the one who wasn't killed by the bombs. I just dont have enough ammo to make him lean so I can jump on his back. I use the turret but he ends up throwing a car at it, so it makes the turret moot.
. Other then that though I am enjoying it, I mean it takes a bit to get use to the game. The only other problem I am having is the inventory not being clear as to why I can not carry some things. When I pick up herbs they seem to never appear in my inventory, I assume the only way to check your inventory is using the d-pad on the ps3, if not please let me know.

Riposte

I need to find a better way to access cover, just pushing aim and a isn't doing it for me. Any tips? Anyone? Can anyone tell me a better way to move into cover? No one, eh? Guess not.

RedSwirl

The only problem I am having so far with this game is the lack of ammo in chris's campaign. Since they went the TPS route they should have given you an adequate amount of ammo. I am at the part with
two big ogres are stomping around the city and I have to kill the one who wasn't killed by the bombs. I just dont have enough ammo to make him lean so I can jump on his back. I use the turret but he ends up throwing a car at it, so it makes the turret moot.
. Other then that though I am enjoying it, I mean it takes a bit to get use to the game. The only other problem I am having is the inventory not being clear as to why I can not carry some things. When I pick up herbs they seem to never appear in my inventory, I assume the only way to check your inventory is using the d-pad on the ps3, if not please let me know.

Having this problem right up until the end. It's seriously feeling like RE1 up in here.

there is a 2nd turret if you didn't know.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I need to find a better way to access cover, just pushing aim and a isn't doing it for me. Any tips? Anyone? Can anyone tell me a better way to move into cover? No one, eh? Guess not.

Run at the cover, turn around and jump backwards. I wish there was some other mechanic that made it easier...

There are two powerlines around the area you can lure them into, after the ogre gets electrocuted just jump on and stab that thing in them.

Top Bottom