• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Replicant

Yet I beat his boss on the first try without dying (on normal), I stumbled across the answer by luck though, most enemies want to
impale themselves on the QTEs, not an actual object
. Impressions and experiences are all over the place with this game.

I actually thought you are meant to
dodge his attack at the last minute and perform a reversal
. And man, I was good at that and managed to do it 6 times. But of course by then I wondered why the pesky SOB won't die already and I couldn't figure out what the
lightning pole was for since it didn't trigger contextual button prompt when I bring it near his legs. Should have realized that it's meant for the zombies
. But I thought they're just there for distraction. No wonder they're so easy to ignore. Once someone told me how to do it, it was easy indeed. But I have to say I was so over him at that point in the story.

Sojgat

I actually thought you are meant to
dodge his attack at the last minute and perform a reversal
. And man, I was good at that and managed to do it 6 times. But of course by then I wondered why the pesky SOB won't die already and I couldn't figure out what the
lightning pole was for since it didn't trigger contextual button prompt when I bring it near his legs. Should have realized that it's meant for the zombies
. But I thought they're just there for distraction. No wonder they're so easy to ignore. Once someone told me how to do it, it was easy indeed. But I have to say I was so over him at that point in the story.

I know first I thought I had to kill him by doing the
grenade QTE but it was taking forever, so then I thought, "oh shit I don't just shoot the glowing sacks do I ?" and I did and he grabbed the pole and electrocuted himself.
Total fluke that I worked it out first try, some people have said they died a dozen times. Freaking game.

Kwanzaa Tim

Neo Member
This stuff has been explained so many times, it almost needs it's own thread "how to play Resident Evil 6". I don't know if I'm even joking.

Somebody explains it very eloquently as you have done here, but 3-4 pages later people are asking the same questions.

I'd think that'd be a great idea actually--- Put it in the OP and then change the title to make people read the OP. The tutorial taught me none of that stuff (minus the you can dodge backwards and roll around bit of the floor game). The game has no manual, and since everything relies on combinations of sprint+something+something into something release aim etc.... I was actually doing some of the stuff but not realizing it and actually attributed it to the janky camera and bad fov, which, like a lot of you have said, needs some fixing.

I do have to hand it to you guys who are busting through on higher difficulties and have learned to make the game work the way it was meant to, its really nothing like RE4 or 5 in terms of what you actually HAVE to do to succeed. Even in a PRO run of RE4, where you're using guns to setup melee specials the time window between shot stagger and effective melee is much, much smaller... and I'm going by Chris's Normal mode.

I'm definitely still a work in progress myself even with the advice-- I know what I can do, but execution is still far from consistent. While I'm better at the melee closers now, most of the slide into roll into back up on my feet (or even worse, get to cover) is still tough. I honestly have to rewire my brain and retrain my hand to let go of LT in the midst of a firefight--- its something that RE4 basically had hardwired into modern day TPS and now its changed to be ADS/Slide/Staydown/Standup/Quick Shot, where the latter is much more important than the former.

In Mercs, where you have an open area to do this, its really a pretty cool system and can be stylish as all get out. In the game proper? I'm still getting stuck in geometry, 180 turning twice instead of once, and finding usable cover only after taking a bunch of shots (Snipers gah! I should play Pierce instead) by sliding away and back into it.

Its a work in progress, but I wish they'd let you remap some of these things separately.

suikodan

I started playing this game tonight with some friends.

We had two PS3s and two TVs. We played via PSN.

However, we were dropped twice during the evening and it kind of forced us to quit the game and resume from an earlier checkpoint.

I thought the coop was drop in/drop out. Is it only local? If not, how can I (re)invite my friend in my game without having to quit?

Mr. Fix

Anyone know how to defeat Leon's final boss
Simmons' insect form
? This whole final segment is a drag, went on for far too long.

Sojgat

I'd think that'd be a great idea actually--- Put it in the OP and then change the title to make people read the OP. The tutorial taught me none of that stuff (minus the you can dodge backwards and roll around bit of the floor game). The game has no manual, and since everything relies on combinations of sprint+something+something into something release aim etc.... I was actually doing some of the stuff but not realizing it and actually attributed it to the janky camera and bad fov, which, like a lot of you have said, needs some fixing.

I do have to hand it to you guys who are busting through on higher difficulties and have learned to make the game work the way it was meant to, its really nothing like RE4 or 5 in terms of what you actually HAVE to do to succeed. Even in a PRO run of RE4, where you're using guns to setup melee specials the time window between shot stagger and effective melee is much, much smaller... and I'm going by Chris's Normal mode.

I'm definitely still a work in progress myself even with the advice-- I know what I can do, but execution is still far from consistent. While I'm better at the melee closers now, most of the slide into roll into back up on my feet (or even worse, get to cover) is still tough. I honestly have to rewire my brain and retrain my hand to let go of LT in the midst of a firefight--- its something that RE4 basically had hardwired into modern day TPS and now its changed to be ADS/Slide/Staydown/Standup/Quick Shot, where the latter is much more important than the former.

In Mercs, where you have an open area to do this, its really a pretty cool system and can be stylish as all get out. In the game proper? I'm still getting stuck in geometry, 180 turning twice instead of once, and finding usable cover only after taking a bunch of shots (Snipers gah! I should play Pierce instead) by sliding away and back into it.

Its a work in progress, but I wish they'd let you remap some of these things separately.

Ok I'm doing this, I'll post it and people can add to it and tweak it, and maybe sombebody can post it on the front page.

Anyone know how to defeat Leon's final boss
Simmons' insect form
? This whole final segment is a drag, went on for far too long.

Read my last post.

I don't think the PS3 is the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the game itself.

I haven't noticed any slowdown yet, but I have had to adjust the brightness more often than any game I've ever played.

"Adjust the brightness so the 6 is barely visible" HA! Following the directions that CAPCOM built within the game makes the game virtually unplayable, you can't see shit.
Imo, the adjust brightness until its barely visible scheme annoys me no matter what game. Simply because I've got no clue what definition the developers use. For example I kept the brightness at 20(default) but the 6 was still barely visible at the 2 setting for me. I've had no issues with the brightness at 20 but Its hard to figure out how it applies to enemies and environments in the game. I think something easier and more applicable would be to have a screenshot of a scene where there are a few zombies surrounding the player at different lengths/heights away and let the player determine what level of visibility they want.

Lucent

Was just playing a co-op game with a friend and after a bit it said something about the matchmaking server being busy and disconnected us. On PS3. Anybody have this happen?

dark_chris

Chris' final boss is borderline broken as Chris (in single player). I just got to a part where I had to do something that was absolutely impossible due to lack of ammo.

I died 3 times before I actually found a way to have Piers stun it and I ran in with a knife. It was easier for me running in clever ways just knifing instead of using ammo.

yeah connection errors like crazy today/night.

But I can't even unlock Piers cause I suck so much on this map. I have no idea where the best place for enemy respawns is.

On another note the Hydra quick shot may be one of the most badass things ever in gaming.
middle of the bottom or traincar side of the top is best.

Beat Jake's story with my co-op buddy and we were pretty much laughing throughout the entire ending.

I died 3 times before I actually found a way to have Piers stun it and I ran in with a knife. It was easier for me running in clever ways just knifing instead of using ammo.
Yeah, I did the same thing. Except it took me way more than 3 times to figure it out. ):

gconsole

Wow. Jake action sequence is crazy. I play with my friend who never play videogame before and he ask me is this over the top stuff normal in every videogame. I dont know what to answer lol.

Teknoman

Man this game has some of the nastiest enemies since...well REmake or 4. Those
regenerating...undead...things in the first chinese section
are nuts.

I am loving Ada's campaign so far, finished the first two chapters. It is a bit slow compared to the rest of the game but its a nice change of pace.

I loved the straight up metal gear stealth segment to start it off. I screwed up and the alarm went off, all hell broke loose. The tight corridors with small amounts of enemies made the gun fighting feel better in a strange way. I was popping out of cover and dueling an enemy from across the hall. I was so excited to see the puzzle room then was disappointed when the game would force you to only do the specific action that was required at the time thus ruining the whole point of the puzzle. The water chase segment sucked, everything else pretty awesome.

The crypts were a blast with actual decent puzzles where the game didn't really hand hold you.The triple whopper battle was great and so was the attack by those armored dudes. Very well done chapters.

Ken

I really like the whole "shooting and rolling while on the ground" thing; looks pretty cool and it'd be neat to see it in more games.

Woooo, just got 300 thousand something with Jake in Urban Chaos solo.

I wonder what’s with all the ‘999999999’ scores on the leaderboard? : /

Also, does enabling infinite ammo in professional still allow you to get the achievement for completing it on professional?

Noi

Just discovered how to pounce in agent hunt. Good times from playing Versus mode L4D are coming back to me. <3 So much fun. y no one enable agent hunt when playing though. :(

Sojgat

Thankyou to The Xtortionist and Neiteio for their contributions which I've edited.

2336814-re6controls_zpsae254f28.jpg

Melee is much more the focus of combat in RE6 and using it well is the key to success. Players who don't roll, slide, quick shot, etc... are going to have a horrible time with the game.

Here's a quick list:

-Aim+Melee - Quick shot - these are a kind of auto aim attack great for crowd control and stunning enemies to set them up for melee attacks.

-Aim while sprinting - Slide (Will stun enemies. Can slide into cover and keep Aim held down to stay in cover)

-Slide+left stick down - 180 slide

-Sprint+Melee - dash attack - You can use this shoulder-check to stagger enemies and set them up for further melee attacks.

-Aim+Direction+A(360)/X(PS3) - Dodge roll (hold Aim to stay on ground, can 180 when dodging forward and pulling back on left stick. Can simply duck if not holding a direction. Can cancel duck into a dodge). Releasing L1 the moment you hit the ground causes you to hop back to your feet. Holding L1 will allow you to shoot from the ground. Tapping left or right will cause you to roll in circles around your enemy.

-You can do the backdepleted version of the above the moment you're hit to the ground by an enemy hold A/X (solo action) button to instantly roll back to your feet. Also note you'll be knocked over every time a segment of your health bar is fully depleted.

-Lying on the ground will make it harder for some enemies to hit you, and easier for you to hit shorter, low to the ground enemies. While lying press back or forward to slowly drag yourself along the ground in that direction, good for throwing off enemy aim after falling backwards.

Counter attack

-press Melee just as an enemy is about to attack/hit you to counter. Sometimes there will be no prompt for this until you have performed the counter, other times it will be very fast. Timing is very important.

Melee attacks

-Your Melee attacks are governed by the Stamina Meter, use too many Melee attacks in a row and it will be drained and "overheat".

-Keep an eye on your stamina Meter, taking cover will refill it faster (so will lying on the ground without moving).

-You can disarm armed zombies by hitting them twice with a melee, which dazes them so that the third melee wrenches the weapon out of their hands and kills them.

-You can melee enemies standing behind you, elbowing them in the face to stun them, setting them up for a different melee.

-Enemies staggered in a certain way will also spin, context-sensitive melee them from behind for a kill animation like a neck snap.

-You can guarantee the context-sensitive melee by shooting an enemy in the head just once to daze them, then getting close and hitting R1.

-Some larger enemies can be attacked while in certain states to trigger QTE chain combos. For example the lizard-like Strelats can be melee or dash attacked to trigger a combo while they're turtling inside their fans before shooting their spikes.

Weapons

-Weapons have their own unique attacks and combos (hold aim and continue to tap attack after quick shots for certain characters/weapons). Chris's knife for example does a multi slash by aiming and tapping back + A/X (solo action) button, great for fending off advancing enemies.

-(Jake's Hand to Hand) Hold Aim until target is acquired, then mash Melee - Three hit combo

-(Knives only)
-While aiming, left stick down+Melee - Stab attack
-While aiming, left stick left or right+A/X(solo action) button - sidestep

-Y/Triangle while aiming certain weapons - Select fire mode
*Can quick shot with knives and grenades
*Stagger system still in effect. Headshot a humanoid enemy to stagger them, then perform a contextual melee (front or back) for massive damage.

-Remote Mines and grenades must be equipped by tapping up or down on the D-pad, and can only be deployed one at a time. After deployment you will revert to your previously equipped weapon.
-Remote mines can be deployed while sliding, and all grenades can also be thrown while on the ground

Other Tips

-Rotate both sticks during grappling QTEs, the game responds to both inputs and it makes them easier.

-You can paint enemy targets for your AI partner to priortize by aiming at the enemy and tapping B/Circle.

-Hold Heal and reload - to Auto Reload the pill container from the available herbs in your inventory without having to enter it.

-A pill will recover your stamina as well as a single block of your health.

Noi

Finally got matched up in Agent Hunt in a location where I could play as a J'avo and not a zombie. Holy shit, I wish I could disable and enable where I wanted to play in, cause the J'avo are so much more fun.

Also, why does not finding a game have to boot me back to the Extra Content menu? Way to miss the whole point of Quick Match, Capcom. :mad:

Jackpot

Banned
I managed to play the prelude chapter and the opening of Chris's campaign on the 360. Having done this I can totally understand the low review scores. You feel like you're bumbling around. Had I not read ahead of time about all the different moves & button combos I would have hated it too. I can only imagine what it'd be like if you had to play the whole game like that.

And there's no excuse for the graphics. Some places really stand out.

Morue

So I've finished the 3 main campaigns yesterday after 21 hours (normal difficulty). Overall, I'm kinda disappointed. In terms of story first, it's pretty weak. I hope playing Ada's campaign will help me figure Simmons' and Carla's motivations out cause I'm still wondering what was the point of such a fuss...

The best duo for me was Jake and Sherry, but the most memorable ending was undoubtedly Chris's.
Poor Piers... I didn't really care about him but I have to admit that his sacrifice at the end really made me sad :'( They should have killed Helena instead. I just can't stand her XD

In terms of gameplay, my biggest gripe was probably the camera AND THOSE F...... QTEs!! The person who decided to put so many and make them so hard should be burnt on a public place!!

That being said, I don't think the game deserves the terrible reviews it's getting. It was still a lot of fun and and I enjoyed the 'over the top' action. I would give it a 6,5 or 7, probably because I set my expectations too high and the game never really met them...

Bladenic

Finished everyone's chapter 4, will finish everyone off tomorrow then the final campaign.

Favorite chapters have been Leon 2 and Jake 3. Jake 3 was so awesome. But Leon 2 is probably my overall favorite. I'm sorry to say I haven't liked Chris's campaign all that much. There have been some great parts yes but also some really annoying ones. Mainly related to vehicles and the fact that he visits the overall most boring environments IMO. Although two were really cool. Excited for everyone's chapter 5.

Esura

Banned
I want to master Mercenaries with Sherry but....I haven't unlocked her and I'm a scrub at it. Do anyone wanna aid me in unlocking her and the others on PSN?

PSN is Esura

I want to master Mercenaries with Sherry but....I haven't unlocked her and I'm a scrub at it. Do anyone wanna aid me in unlocking her and the others on PSN?

PSN is Esura

Sure, I could help you out. Well, try to anyway. I have a 674k score with Sherry in duo mercs so I think I'm not terrible

Makes sense.
I know in RE5, if you had INF ammo you could still get all achievements regularly.
I don't think anyone has tried but I'd bet money on them not changing that.
Since if not there would be a disclaimer saying something like

"INF ammo affects achievements"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Kinda lame really. Oh well.

Bladenic

Well I said screw sleep and best Jake. No spoilers or anything right now, but last chapter was pretty awesome. Final boss was fun and exciting (though I could have done without the QTE's, luckily I didn't die once because I learned already how to do the climbing). Jake is probably my favorite RE character now honestly, or at least the top. Sherry is awesome too. And omg the credits music is so cheesy but I love it.

Oh, and
Jake/Sherry forever!

Morue

Quick question: if I finish the game on normal, will it unlock the trophy for amateur?
Also, is there a big difference between veteran and professional?

AlexBasch

You're not meant to shoot him much. I learned that by accident. What you need to do is to just
shoot the red thing while occasionally tells Piers to "move in". This will unleash Piers' lightning attack, dropping the octo to the ground. Shoot him a bit or get close in using knife so he'll turn into coocon. While in coocon form, tells Piers to "move in" again so he'll electrocute the coocon until it explodes. Then get closer and press R1. Do it 3 times and he should be dead
. for me Chris' final boss is sooo much easier than Leon's pain-in-the-ass final boss.
Oh my god, thank you.

Nemesis_

Something really dumb I just noticed while replaying Chris IV.

Why does Chris and Piers not think about the fact that
Ada is seen throughout the campaign, but is wearing Blue/Red then Red then reverst back to Blue/Red

Do they put those facts together at any point? =/

ThankeeSai

Picking this up today. Am I right in saying that you play through each character's section to completion before starting another? i.e you finish Leons section completely, then move onto Chris' etc?

Pretty disappointed if that's the case tbh. I thought you would chop and change throughout the game, maybe have choices in Leons affecting things in Chris's or something.

Domstercool

Picking this up today. Am I right in saying that you play through each character's section to completion before starting another? i.e you finish Leons section completely, then move onto Chris' etc?

Pretty disappointed if that's the case tbh. I thought you would chop and change throughout the game, maybe have choices in Leons affecting things in Chris's or something.

You can stop after every chapter.

Nemesis_

You can stop after each chapter, and play chronologically (as per the order in the OT).

Sojgat

There's a playable chronological order listed on the first page provided by Dusk Golem. Lots of people seem to like playing it that way.

Replicant

Something really dumb I just noticed while replaying Chris IV.

Why does Chris and Piers not think about the fact that
Ada is seen throughout the campaign, but is wearing Blue/Red then Red then reverst back to Blue/Red

Do they put those facts together at any point? =/

My thoughts exactly.
Her appearance was ever changing from minute to minute at that point

Top Bottom