• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Nemesis_

Lol... no. :(

Well I (like much of gaf and the internet) like to do a themed avatar on holidays, especially halloween which is the greatest holiday, and I keep making avatars but they all suck and bother me. lol

I miss the gifatars, they were so easy to make festive. I might take another shot at it, but if it fails I'll just go back to REmake Jill. haha

Now that I actually KNOW how to make GIFs I wish we had GIFatars back :(

I'd make it the scrolling of Jill's tombstone

Replicant

Simmons' 1st (and 2nd?) form
is still annoying as Hell. I never thought I'd hate QTEs but the QTEs in his section is pure vile and not fun at all. Actually, most QTE in RE has never been fun since it's always one of those 'miss and you'll get insta-death" or a "mash/shake the button like a nutcase". It's also unclear if things will just proceed automatically I hadn't bother wasting ammo on one of those sections
where you have to shoot Simmons from inside the train)

Man, we need a Resident Evil: Raiders and Mercenaries:

+ RE6-style gameplay mechanics, now with a proper tutorial to teach newcomers
+ Raid mode, with 50+ maps from series history, including Ghost Ship and Spencer Estate
+ Loot to find, perks to equip, and the ability to purchase weapons through the Merchant
+ Agent Hunt enabled for Raid mode, so players can play as the creatures
+ Mercenaries, with 50+ maps; like Raid, pulls settings from series history
+ Creatures from past games return, all updated for RE6-style gameplay; for instance, Hunters will lunge at you like Bloodshots, but sidestep and hop around more
+ Playable characters include Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Sherry, Jake, Helena, Piers, Sheva, Josh, Rebecca, Billy, Barry, Parker, Jessica, Quint, Keith, Raymond, Ada, Krauser, Hunk, Wesker and more
+ Multiple costumes per character, with "main characters" like Chris having the most
+ Other modes include Versus, Survivor, Siege and Predator
+ Unlock files, figurines, costumes and alternate colors

I'd buy it.
Would totally buy this too $40-$50 price range

ShinAmano

You don't get any "reward" for surviving or "beating" a mercs round other than your rank. But you keep all your skill point pickups if you survive. And there are generally a bunch of pickups during a round.

Oh...I guess I expected a total count after the round.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh...I guess I expected a total count after the round.

Yeah... I expected that too. However... just collecting skill points is a pretty relaxed way to play mercs. Grab a time crystals or two and then just do counters and stuff to pick up extra time if you need it. But even generic zombies will sometimes drop pretty good skill points. So I just mess around and get pickups, and when things start to get dicey I just let the time expire... keep my skill points without the risk of getting mobbed at the end and dying. Can be pretty relaxing way to play and get skill points if you're not int the mood for anything heavy. I turn off the music and just mess around.

+ Raid mode, with 50+ maps from series history, including Ghost Ship and Spencer Estate
+ Loot to find, perks to equip, and the ability to purchase weapons through the Merchant
+ Creatures from past games return, all updated for RE6-style gameplay; for instance, Hunters will lunge at you like Bloodshots, but sidestep and hop around more
+ Playable characters include Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Sherry, Jake, Helena, Piers, Sheva, Josh, Rebecca, Billy, Barry, Parker, Jessica, Quint, Keith, Raymond, Ada, Krauser, Hunk, Wesker and more
+ Multiple costumes per character, with "main characters" like Chris having the most

I'd buy it.

This is pretty cool... I think your map # isn't even in the ballpark of realistic expectation... but the premise here is really cool.

DonMigs85

It isn't very surprising people want more content if they've completed and enjoyed what was there already. That goes for anything, in any medium, really.

Iirc you're not exactly too high on RE6 so I guess I'm not surprised you're surprised.

No, I quite like the game, and I think it's already chock-full of content.
People actually pleading for DLC may not set a good precedent, but whatever, it's their money.

Sectus

What DLC are we expecting exactly? Can anyone enlight me please?

The known DLC are:
- No Hope difficulty (free via patch)
- Coop for 4th campaign (free via patch)
- 7 mercs maps (the 3 pre order maps, and 4 new ones)
- 4 multiplayer modes

People actually pleading for DLC may not set a good precedent, but whatever, it's their money.

I think this situation is a bit special as all of the DLC is known (at least the first batch). Capcom isn't very good at keeping secrets.

The known DLC are:
- No Hope difficulty (free via patch)
- Coop for 4th campaign (free via patch)
- 7 mercs maps (the 3 pre order maps, and 4 new ones)
- 4 multiplayer modes

Thanks!

Just tried Agent Hunt mode last night... so much fun!

My first stage was the snowy one with Sherry, and I was a zombie/mutant crow-thing, soaring through the level, looking for my prey. It was so damn cool.

Then, I was one of those... regenerator-looking monsters in China, using the drainage system to get through the level! And if the humans did enough damage, they would split me in half and I could decide if I wanted to control the torso of the legs, both with their own set of attacks!

Then I was a zombie with a machete, that one was lame, I always died before I could even get close to Chris and Co., they're too weak.

This mode is so underrated... but fun!

vg260

It isn't very surprising people want more content if they've completed and enjoyed what was there already. That goes for anything, in any medium, really.

Iirc you're not exactly too high on RE6 so I guess I'm not surprised you're surprised.

I bet whatever DLC is coming out has been done, and they're just keeping it hidden and secret after the SFxT experience rather than storing it on the disc. Except now people are begging for it instead of calling for their heads because they're being kept in the dark.

Evolved1

My mistake, sorry.

I used to agree with your sentiment, just on principal, but I guess I've gotten a little soft on it over the years since horse armor. I don't really care any more unless it's something totally egregious. What people would consider "totally egregious" is going to vary... in this instance I fully admit to a double-standard and giving RE games a bit of a pass.

I bet whatever DLC is coming out has been done, and they're just keeping it hidden and secret after the SFxT experience rather than storing it on the disc. Except now people are begging for it instead of calling for their heads because they're being kept in the dark.

That's likely true. People have more than enough right to take issue... I just don't really care. I'm looking for the content, not a fight. At the end of the day I don't care about a few dollars, especially for resident evil. Slippery slope and all that, but whatever...

Sectus

Considering PS3 version got a patch some days ago and that was not the patch with No Hope and coop for 4th campaign, I got a feeling we'll be waiting a while. I know Microsoft certification for patches is usually 2-3 weeks, and I think Sony has a similar process. So adding in their normal development time and testing for a patch and the whole certification thing, I got a bad feeling we're still weeks off before the first DLC release.

At the very least, they could just release the pre-order maps already. It's criminal to only have 3 mercs maps in the base game.

GeekyDad

Considering PS3 version got a patch some days ago and that was not the patch with No Hope and coop for 4th campaign, I got a feeling we'll be waiting a while. I know Microsoft certification for patches is usually 2-3 weeks, and I think Sony has a similar process. So adding in their normal development time and testing for a patch and the whole certification thing, I got a bad feeling we're still weeks off before the first DLC release.

At the very least, they could just release the pre-order maps already. It's criminal to only have 3 mercs maps in the base game.

The criminal part is that we can almost rest assured they will charge us for new maps. It would be one thing if they were coming later for free, but this is Capcom we're talking about here...

Neiteio

The criminal part is that we can almost rest assured they will charge us for new maps. It would be one thing if they were coming later for free, but this is Capcom we're talking about here...
It's -possible- they may release some or all of the maps for free in exchange for RE points on RE.net, in which point the "added value" of the preorder maps will have been early access.

ApolloJoh

From what I remember, Capcom said that basically anything on the disc is free and anything not on the disc will have to be paid for.

Meaning that the pre-order maps, No Hope, and pretty much everything you see in Sectus's mod videos are going to be free.

Anything else that hasn't been shown through modding but have been revealed, like the other 4 mercs maps and competitive MP modes, are paid DLC.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
From what I remember, Capcom said that basically anything on the disc is free and anything not on the disc will have to be paid for.

Meaning that the pre-order maps, No Hope, and pretty much everything you see in Sectus's mod videos are going to be free.

Anything else that hasn't been shown through modding but have been revealed, like the other 4 mercs maps and competitive MP modes, are paid DLC.

In which case why don't they just unlock the damn maps for us to use? It's not like they need to go through certification since the pre-orders already have access to these maps.

Speaking of which I still haven't seen the Catacombs mercs map in action. Maybe I'll go look up some videos of that.

Neiteio

In which case why don't they just unlock the damn maps for us to use? It's not like they need to go through certification since the pre-orders already have access to these maps.

Speaking of which I still haven't seen the Catacombs mercs map in action. Maybe I'll go look up some videos of that.
I'd like to see videos of Catacombs as well. :)

But about what's on the disk being free, technically the level geometry and such is missing for the last four maps (Requiem for War, Rooftop Mission, Creature Workshop, and Liquid Fire), so I imagine we'll pay for those.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to see videos of Catacombs as well. :)

But about what's on the disk being free, technically the level geometry and such is missing for the last four maps (Requiem for War, Rooftop Mission, Creature Workshop, and Liquid Fire), so I imagine we'll pay for those.

Oh, darn. Eh whatever, I'll pay for it either way. I have no qualms paying for DLC when the base game has so much damn content, so I applaud Capcom for shoving so much gameplay onto the retail disc. I bought all the Mass Effect 2 DLC since I just got so much enjoyment out of the base game.

Also everyone keeps raving about Raid Mode but I have no clue what it is since I never played Revelations. Is it like Mercs except you have a larger level and there are weapon drops? What is so good about it?

Sectus

I've got one video of catacombs on my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJX3tazFUk

Catacombs is actually my least favourite zombies level, although it's still a good level. On the other hand, high seas and rail yard are my favourite j'avo levels so far.

I don't have a link to the quote, but Sven from Capcom USA confirmed the pre-order DLC will be released as paid DLC later on.

Neiteio

Oh, darn. Eh whatever, I'll pay for it either way. I have no qualms paying for DLC when the base game has so much damn content, so I applaud Capcom for shoving so much gameplay onto the retail disc. I bought all the Mass Effect 2 DLC since I just got so much enjoyment out of the base game.

Also everyone keeps raving about Raid Mode but I have no clue what it is since I never played Revelations. Is it like Mercs except you have a larger level and there are weapon drops? What is so good about it?
Raid is fantastic and waaaaaay too addictive. They're full-fledged levels, spanning multiple rooms and passageways and stories, often lifted straight from the campaign. They're packed full of enemies, they have limited resources, and you go through them by yourself or with a partner in local or online co-op. Completing them earns you experience that levels you up; the higher your level, the higher level weapons you can equip; and higher level weapons, of course, are stronger. You also receive a random selection of weapons at the end of each level, and you can buy weapons as well. Weapons, aside from having different stats, also have a random number of slots for equipping perks that affect firepower, stopping power, penetration (striking multiple targets), firing speed, reload speed, ammo capacity, etc. So ideally you'll chance upon a high-level weapon with strong stats and the maximum number of slots so you can power it up further. As you level up, you also acquire new skins for each character, each of which is viewable in gorgeous detail in a model viewer. There were over 20 Raid levels in Revelations, and they were huge, and the last one, Ghost Ship, can take well over an hour, with multiple paths to the true ending, tons of bosses along the way, and it becomes a real struggle to survive by the end, with lv. 50 enemies, multiple bosses at once, etc. Finding the most direct route with the enemies you're most able to handle is the challenge there. It's simply amazing, easily as good as Mercs.

Sectus

Raid mode is a weird mode. It has a huge focus on levelling up and getting loot.

You go through 20 or more levels (although you quickly realize they're re-using the same environments for most of them), where your goal is to go from A to B and there's a bunch of enemies in the way. Each enemy is of a specific level and you actually see the enemy's health bar (high level enemies have much much more health). Between missions you can choose which weapons to go with (you can find high level weapons in missions), which characters to play with. I think you can level up your character as well, but I'm not sure.

It's a fun mode, but the loot/level aspect makes it extremely imbalanced and it just gets too repetitive in the long run. Mercenaries is significantly more fun in my opinion.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Raid is fantastic and waaaaaay too addictive. They're full-fledged levels, spanning multiple rooms and passageways and stories, often lifted straight from the campaign. They're packed full of enemies, they have limited resources, and you go through them by yourself or with a partner in local or online co-op. Completing them earns you experience that levels you up; the higher your level, the higher level weapons you can equip; and higher level weapons, of course, are stronger. You also receive a random selection of weapons at the end of each level, and you can buy weapons as well. Weapons, aside from having different stats, also have a random number of slots for equipping perks that affect firepower, stopping power, penetration (striking multiple targets), firing speed, reload speed, ammo capacity, etc. So ideally you'll chance upon a high-level weapon with strong stats and the maximum number of slots so you can power it up further. As you level up, you also acquire new skins for each character, each of which is viewable in gorgeous detail in a model viewer. There were over 20 Raid levels in Revelations, and they were huge, and the last one, Ghost Ship, can take well over an hour, with multiple paths to the true ending, tons of bosses along the way, and it becomes a real struggle to survive by the end, with lv. 50 enemies, multiple bosses at once, etc. Finding the most direct route with the enemies you're most able to handle is the challenge there. It's simply amazing, easily as good as Mercs.

Holy smokes, that sounds like pure bliss. Just release a Raid Mode DLC for RE6 already, that would be so much fun with RE6's combat system! Though I would also take more Mercenaries levels.

I'd buy it.

Id pay $20+ for just Ghost Ship Raid.

Holy smokes, that sounds like pure bliss. Just release a Raid Mode DLC for RE6 already, that would be so much fun with RE6's combat system! Though I would also take more Mercenaries levels.

The final Raid map was the entire boat that you had to get through, different paths etc.
one of the coolest and most fun things ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WI6AoxonsM&feature=relmfu

Neiteio

Raid mode is a weird mode. It has a huge focus on levelling up and getting loot.

You go through 20 or more levels (although you quickly realize they're re-using the same environments for most of them), where your goal is to go from A to B and there's a bunch of enemies in the way. Each enemy is of a specific level and you actually see the enemy's health bar (high level enemies have much much more health). Between missions you can choose which weapons to go with (you can find high level weapons in missions), which characters to play with. I think you can level up your character as well, but I'm not sure.

It's a fun mode, but the loot/level aspect makes it extremely imbalanced and it just gets too repetitive in the long run. Mercenaries is significantly more fun in my opinion.
Raid isn't repetitive at all, imo. I easily sunk 30+ hours into that mode alone. Conquering Ghost Ship after like a thousand failed attempts was, for me, like the greatest moment ever in RE. With RE6-style combat, especially, it would be an amazing way to have campaign-style fun without committing to an entire chapter.

GeekyDad

LOL @ Ada chapter 3:
"It's like a Raccoon City reunion."

I hope you're right and it's not another case of "I'll cut off my own head if it's ever on another platform."

Neiteio

Id pay $20+ for just Ghost Ship Raid.
I'd pay $20 for just Ghost Ship Raid as well. You're effectively given the ENTIRE cruise ship -- kitchens, cabins, dining halls, a casino, observation decks, shopping centers, the cargo hold, engine room, a full-blown lab, the bridge, etc -- and figuring out the safest way to the real ending (as there are many false exits along the way) is a tremendous challenge. Do I try getting the key on the observation deck and risk getting killed by Hunters and that two-story-tall shellfish boss? Do I go for the shopping center instead and risk a confrontation with the buzzsaw monster and those sword-and-shield knight BOWs (one of the coolest creatures in the series, imo)? Do I swim into the flooded cargo hold to get the key there instead, trying to skirt past those skeletal cockroach people? I also made really good use of the partner phrases to guide my co-op partner down the optimal path with me (optimal for my skills, at least).

Sectus

Raid isn't repetitive at all, imo. I easily sunk 30+ hours into that mode alone. Conquering Ghost Ship after like a thousand failed attempts was, for me, like the greatest moment ever in RE. With RE6-style combat, especially, it would be an amazing way to have campaign-style fun without committing to an entire chapter.

I think the primary reasons I found it repetitive is that the core mechanics in Revelations are kinda bland compared to RE5 and RE6 (it has the weakest melee system of any modern RE game), you face many bullet sponge enemies, and you may sometimes get lucky and get a super powerful weapon which makes the mode really easy for a while. If I recall, I think I stopped when I realized I could do any stage alone without any challenge.

I think the mode has a lot of potential, but it would need tweaks for me to care about it as much as I do for mercenaries.

Neiteio

I think the primary reasons I found it repetitive is that the core mechanics in Revelations are kinda bland compared to RE5 and RE6 (it has the weakest melee system of any modern RE game), you face many bullet sponge enemies, and you may sometimes get lucky and get a super powerful weapon which makes the mode really easy for a while. If I recall, I think I stopped when I realized I could do any stage alone without any challenge.

I think the mode has a lot of potential, but it would need tweaks for me to care about it as much as I do for mercenaries.
I like the limb-stunning/melee takedown combo, and each enemy has a weak point to exploit to make them less bullet-spongy. It's definitely a shade less glorious than RE6 Mercs, though. Which is why I salivate thinking how amazing Raid-style missions, loot and leveling would be with RE6-style combat and mobility as the moment-to-moment bread and butter. :)

Riposte

Raid was effectively ruined by overleveled characters. A level 50 or w/e the cap was makes a joke of Ghost Ship. Being underleveled makes parts of it too stat-imbalanced to be worth it. Good luck finding someone online who is your level and doesn't just want to grind.

EDIT: Another thing, Ghost Ship gives out ammo like candy after a certain point. That ruins some of the original appeal to me.

EDIT: 50 Mercenaries maps is way too much. 20 should be the hard cap. I think 10-15 is the sweet spot.

I would just prefer if the next game has multiple campaigns one of them being a "Raid" campaign, where teams of 2-6 players (maybe some "Agent Hunt" players) split up and explore 4-5 "Ghost Ship"-like environments/chapters/missions tied to a loose BSAA storyline with some slight randomization and Monster Hunter-quality roaming bosses. It could have a loot system to attract replays, but something way scaled down in terms of powers and maybe even durability based or restricted per character so that you don't need to make 50 levels of power scaling in order to get people to continue to play it. I think putting Mercenaries and Raid together as competing side-modes is a mistake, the game already has too many ways to split the player base (though I love Mercenaries, I think the game needs to roll in as many modes into the campaigns as possible).

EDIT: To get my point, I want Resident Evil to be more like Dark Souls. I wouldn't want a Dark Souls with matchmaking versus, duels, survival, etc modes. I want the game to funnel as many players as possible into the campaign. (I'm not saying remove the Mercenaries or Versus in particular though. I just want them to design the game so that if they did, you wouldn't miss them.)

Neiteio

Raid was effectively ruined by overleveled characters. A level 50 or w/e the cap was makes a joke of Ghost Ship. Being underleveled makes parts of it too stat-imbalanced to be worth it. Good luck finding someone online who is your level and doesn't just want to grind.
The later parts of Ghost Ship are definitely tough if you're under-leveled. Still, even at lv. 50 it's not exactly a cakewalk. You still have to be "on" your game; you can't just point, shoot, and bam they're dead. Not when you get to the latter half, at least. Just speaking to my experience with Ghost Ship.

EDIT: Another thing, Ghost Ship gives out ammo like candy after a certain point. That ruins some of the original appeal to me.
I don't recall ammo being "handed out like ammo" in Ghost Ship.

EDIT: 50 Mercenaries maps is way too much. 20 should be the hard cap. I think 10-15 is the sweet spot.
A large number of Mercs maps is for variety in terms of setting, atmosphere, enemy arrangements, level layout, etc. There's a lot that can be done, and it would help the mode from feeling repetitive. :)

I would just prefer if the next game has multiple campaigns one of them being a "Raid" campaign, where teams of 2-6 players (maybe some "Agent Hunt" players) split up and explore 4-5 "Ghost Ship"-like environments/chapters/missions tied to a loose BSAA storyline with some slight randomization and Monster Hunter-quality roaming bosses. It could have a loot system to attract replays, but something way scaled down in terms of powers and maybe even durability based or restricted per character so that you don't need to make 50 levels of power scaling in order to get people to continue to play it. I think putting Mercenaries and Raid together as competing side-modes is a mistake, the game already has too many ways to split the player base (though I love Mercenaries, I think the game needs to roll in as many modes into the campaigns as possible).
I like your ideas for Raid, but I think it could coexist alongside Mercs. Rather than splintering the player base, I actually think it would draw in more players by offering more, and when a player tired of one mode, they'll try the other, and vice-versa, keeping things fresh, and keeping them coming back. They could also develop skills in Raid that they could put to use in Mercs. I think there's a way to accommodate both, and boy would I love to see them do it. :)

GeekyDad

The later parts of Ghost Ship are definitely tough if you're under-leveled. Still, even at lv. 50 it's not exactly a cakewalk. You still have to be "on" your game; you can't just point, shoot, and bam they're dead. Not when you get to the latter half, at least. Just speaking to my experience with Ghost Ship.

Yeah, I don't know if he didn't actually finish it or not, but it's roughly a 45 minute trek if you go through the entire thing. I thought Raid Mode was great. No, it didn't last forever, but it was fun while it lasted and an inspired addition to this series. I love Mercs here, though, and the campaign is pretty much Raid mode for the most part, except you don't earn weapons or complete missions. If they could squeeze that into an update, that would be awesome.

Riposte

One thing I would like to see is features not too dissimilar to looking for invites while you play arcade or training mode in fighting games. Say you want a certain campaign chapter to join in on campaign intersections only, well you could just play the Mercenaries until it pops up.

Yeah, I don't know if he didn't actually finish it or not, but it's roughly a 45 minute trek if you go through the entire thing. I thought Raid Mode was great. No, it didn't last forever, but it was fun while it lasted and an inspired addition to this series. I love Mercs here, though, and the campaign is pretty much Raid mode for the most part, except you don't earn weapons or complete missions. If they could squeeze that into an update, that would be awesome.

I followed a level 50 dude and he pretty much cleared it in 20 minutes or so. He brought me to an arena (helicopter pad) with respawning enemies at level 50 and made short work of them practically solo (since I was underleveled and doing shit damage). There was a stack of ammo there which seemed infinite.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't buy this game at release. Is it worth it? Is it really that offensively bad?

It's nowhere near as bad as some of the lower-scored reviews would let on, but the amount of enjoyment you will get out of it will really depend on your sensibilities. I and others love the hell out of it, some of us putting well over 60+ hours into the game so far. Things we enjoy:
  • It has a really deep and complex combat system that makes fights really fun and dynamic (easily this game's strongest aspect)
  • It has quite a bit of content in the single player campaign (20-25 hours for a first playthrough) with quite a bit of replayability
  • Mercenaries mode is addictive
  • It has some great co-op

There are also people who really don't enjoy it, for the following reasons:
  • Mercenaries only has 3 maps; the rest will be DLC
  • Some really bad design decisions in the game (certain in-game events will take the camera away from you, but enemies will continue to move towards you and will not pause, there can be a lack of ammo in a game that generally wants you to kill everything)
  • Some people think the level design is uninspired (to which I strongly disagree, but this criticism has come up quite a few times)
  • Bosses can be frustrating if you don't know what you need to do to beat them

Have you played the demo yet? It contains some of the worst parts of the campaign but it can at least give you a feeling for the game and the controls and the combat mechanics. Just make sure to experiment with the dodging and diving and sliding before you come to a conclusion about the game, since it's easily the game's strongest suit.

joe2187

Banned
Didn't buy this game at release. Is it worth it? Is it really that offensively bad?

Define offensively bad?

If you like the RE games for it's plot, then I cry because you are fan of horrible cliches and bad writing. Otherwise it's about on par with what people would consider the best game in the franchise RE4 (which is wrong RECVX is the best in the franchise).

It's a fun game, and it's combat is superb, and the stuff it throws at you is absurd, it fails at pacing and it's tutorials, but overall it's a great game with a ton of content out of the box, with more down the line (for free I might add) I'll be playing it for a while

GeekyDad

Define offensively bad?

If you like the RE games for it's plot, then I cry because you are fan of horrible cliches and bad writing. Otherwise it's about on par with what people would consider the best game in the franchise RE4 (which is wrong RECVX is the best in the franchise).

Not even fucking close. What in this game could have possibly led you to this conclusion?

It's a fun game, and it's combat is superb, and the stuff it throws at you is absurd, it fails at pacing and it's tutorials, but overall it's a great game with a ton of content out of the box, with more down the line (for free I might add) I'll be playing it for a while

Now, those comments I can agree with.

News Bot

Banned

Thanks for the laugh!

All in all the plots of the series are enjoyable at best and can only go downhill from there depending on your opinion. They aren't intended to be literary works of art, class and finesse. They're serviceable, and pretty high-tier as far as games focusing on killing mutants go.

Neiteio

Don't think I'm a fanboy when I say this -- I know I have an RE avatar, but it's because I like the "tits" joke:

RE6 is AWESOME.

But... BUT!

Do this before doing anything else:

- Dial the camera down to 2
- Dial the aiming up to 7
- Switch the reticule from "crosshairs" to "laser sight"

Next, READ THE MECHANICS THREADhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812[b -- it's spoiler-free and teaches you all of the simple but deep mechanics that make combat and mobility in RE6 so amazing. You'll need to read this, because Capcom's gravest mistake with RE6 was leaving out any tutorial. The game doesn't explain the mechanics, and in the U.S. there's no physical manual, so read the thread! I hated the demo at first, but learning this stuff and slowing down, it clicked.

Lastly, know you play this like a dual-analog game -- you move your character with the left stick, and you aim the camera with the right stick; you now have full camera control, and the camera is no longer locked to your back.

As far as what to know about going in, know that occasionally the game will pull the camera away from you to force you to "look" at, say, a helicopter crashing into a building, or some other scripted moment. It's infrequent but awkward for the occasional and brief moments it happens, and apparently enemies can gang up on you during these bits, though I haven't had this happen to me.

Also know that there are occasionally QTEs, and sometimes they'll result in cheap deaths, but hey, trial and error! As you'll see in the tips and tricks thread, spinning both sticks during certain QTEs makes them fill up twice as fast. And for the climbing QTE, hold one button and tap the other, and then alternate -- like you're actually climbing, one hand always on the rope as you climb, hand over hand.

Know these things and your problems with the game will be minimized. As you master the intricacies of the combat system, you'll engage in some breathtakingly intense battles. I say this as a huge fan of action games like Vanquish and Bulletstorm. This game knows how to do crazy well. :)

And it's hard to go back to the old games after learning the controls in this game, since being able to duck and dive and roll and slide and such opens up the game so much. Pacing aside, RE4 feels very dated now. But that's a whole different topic. Bottom line is, RE6 is great fun. Get it, learn it, love it. :)

EDIT: Another thing -- the Prelude is very misleading, piecemealing out the most basic actions as QTEs. This is NOT what the rest of the game is like; I think it was a well-intentioned but ill-informed attempt to "teach" you basic things like camera control (while making the left analog a QTE where any direction causes you to walk forward, lol).

Evolved1

What makes this game different from the formula from RE4?

I dont understand the pedestal people put that game on.

It isn't a pedestal... it's a goddamn pulpit. There is a Church of RE4 and its disciples preach infallibility. RE4 is perfect, end of story... no room for blasphemous criticism of any kind. Any game compared to RE4 is automatically inferior tripe. Anyone who doesn't agree is a heathen.

Neiteio

RE4 has immaculate pacing, but its core gameplay is starting to feel tired. Mercs 3D started it by allowing you to sidestep while aiming, and now RE6 has taken mobility to the nth degree while preserving the basic cadence of combat in modern-day RE that makes it so addicting. The result is all the good of RE4's combat with none of the stiffness now evident in that game, which makes it tough to revisit, sadly.

GeekyDad

What makes this game different from the formula from RE4?

I dont understand the pedestal people put that game on.

More than anything, it was the polished way in which the game married pacing, level design, challenge, control, story, set pieces...together. RE6, in most places throughout the game, seems like it's trying to mimic what it sees in RE4, but doesn't fully understand the intent of what it's mimicking. The insane, out-of-nowhere QTEs are perhaps the best example of this. There's never a sense of urgency or fear. Rather than feel claustrophobic, the game often feels like a clusterfuck.

I agree with you, though, the controls and many of the new mechanics and free camera are a fun (though initially awkward) evolution. But the game itself often feels like a cheap knock-off of...quite a few games, actually, including RE4.

It isn't a pedestal... it's a goddamn pulpit. There is a Church of RE4 and its disciples preach infallibility. RE4 is perfect, end of story... no room for blasphemous criticism of any kind. Any game compared to RE4 is automatically inferior tripe. Anyone who doesn't agree is a heathen.

That works for me. :p

Just kidding. There were ample things in RE4 that annoyed the shit out of me, but overall -- at the time -- the game was a FUCKING masterpiece.

Neiteio

Outside of some QTEs, I don't think RE6 is trying to "be" like anything -- it really is its own thing. The combat with its sliding and melee-heavy focus on daze-->takedown, and the use of cover mainly to regain stamina for said melee, creates a whole different dynamic from something like Gears and Uncharted, and obviously now you have myriad evasive maneuvers, which creates a whole different dynamic from RE4 and RE5, especially.

And I'd actually say there's a great deal more tension in this game than there ever was in RE5, at least; it's quite possible to run low on ammo and to have trouble finding herbs, for one, and the swarm tendencies of enemies given your new mobility options makes some situations particularly intense. Not to mention enemies can now be player-controlled, or spawn endlessly to serve Agent Hunt (in certain areas, the game designed with this in mind), and enemies can track you down from a green country mile away, with no music to telegraph their approach, meaning you're always paranoid looking over your shoulder. It's great.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Do this before doing anything else:

- Dial the camera down to 2
- Dial the aiming up to 7
- Switch the reticule from "crosshairs" to "laser sight"

I prefer the camera at 9 instead of 2. Having the camera down at 2 would have pissed me the hell off since it would be impossible to see what's around you when you're getting ganged up on.

The rest of your post is good stuff though.

Evolved1

How many emblems did you guys find without using a guide?

I think I only found about 30 of them.

I got all of Jake and Sherry (though this was two playthroughs... since some were sherry only)

Missed a lot in the 4th campaign

Missed around half of Chris' (going through now with Piers to see if I can find any)

Missed all but three of Leon's (haven't done Helena playthrough yet).

I think pretty good for no guide... and still going through with the other characters so I haven't even had a "chance" to get all of them yet.

I did use a guide for one emblem... during first level of 4th campaign. I'd played through it multiple times, specifically looking and couldn't find the third. I suspected which part it might be during, but was sick of playing it over and over, and turns out I was right... that was a mean one. All the rest though, no guide.

Top Bottom