• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
Could someone explain to me the upgrade system in the game? I loved the weapon upgrade system in previous titles, and to see It gone sucks. What does the new upgrade system allow you to do? How does it change the gameplay? Is it like adding new skills?

Also does the game feature new game plus where you can play through the game again with all of your upgrades. That has always been a blast to do in previous titles.

TLDNR: How does the upgrade system work and does it have new game plus?

I think I'd rather they cut the campaign in half and gave us more Mercs content. Chris' campaign is really wearing me down. WHEN WILL IT JUST END ALREADY

big_z

I think I'd rather they cut the campaign in half and gave us more Mercs content. Chris' campaign is really wearing me down. WHEN WILL IT JUST END ALREADY

each campaign is shorter than the next. imo chris feels long because it's the least interesting simply because it's so heavy with bromance.

Man I played from the jeep section to the end of the aircraft carrier and the boredom nearly destroyed me. I feel terrible for anyone playing without a co op partner.

Bittercup

Could someone explain to me the upgrade system in the game? I loved the weapon upgrade system in previous titles, and to see It gone sucks. What does the new upgrade system allow you to do? How does it change the gameplay? Is it like adding new skills?

Also does the game feature new game plus where you can play through the game again with all of your upgrades. That has always been a blast to do in previous titles.

TLDNR: How does the upgrade system work and does it have new game plus?
The new system is a bit more flexible:
Instead of improving weapons individually you have skills that count for all of them like firepower, faster reload, aiming etc (exception are the unlimited ammo skills) so you are free to use all your weapons and none lacks behind.
And you can save sets of different skill combinations and swap them even while playing to chose what you prefer in each situation. Like being short on ammo and switching to a set including the drop rate increase and afterwards back to a set more helpful in other situations.

Yes there is a new game plus and you can replay the game via chapter select with all your skills unlocked.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man I played from the jeep section to the end of the aircraft carrier and the boredom nearly destroyed me. I feel terrible for anyone playing without a co op partner.

Chris chapter 4 is the worst chapter in the entire game. Well, to be fair the second half of it really salvaged the fun for me, but the first half of that chapter was the least fun I had in this game.

Outside of the godawful Ada chapters of course.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Chris chapter 4 is the worst chapter in the entire game. Well, to be fair the second half of it really salvaged the fun for me, but the first half of that chapter was the least fun I had in this game.

Outside of the godawful Ada chapters of course.

I dealt with the snipers and then that level was fun as hell imo... lol one of the highlights!

This game is crazy. I think Capcom might be mad scientists. Between this and Dragon's Dogma, they are cooking up some crazy experimental shit in their lab.

Yet another example of lazy translation. They left quite a few bits out of the Rasklapanje file (and got its meaning in Serbian completely wrong).

http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Rasklapanje-File

Haha wow.

Glad to see you guys back up again.

News Bot

Banned
Latest CAPCOM press release.

"Capcom is pleased to announce that, in response to player feedback, a free title update for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Resident Evil 6 will be made available in mid-December.

This update includes the following additions and improvements:

1. Gamers will be able to adjust the camera to give a greater field of view as best suits their play style. Screenshots illustrating the new camera and co-op features can be found in the next post. The camera screenshot pairs show the minimum and maximum range of the new camera setting. Please note that this feature is still in development and may change without further notice before the title update is released.

2. Subtitle options have been improved so that English language audio can be combined with subtitles in an alternative language.

3. As recently announced, Ada Wong’s campaign will be unlocked from the start and have an optional player-controlled co-op partner added. It was previously necessary to complete all three other campaigns in order to unlock Ada’s story.

4. 'No Hope' difficulty level will be added above the existing levels, for players who want an extreme challenge."

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Latest CAPCOM press release.

1327116751996.gif

Sectus

............. MID-DECEMBER >,<

And most likely, that means we can expect no DLC before then either (maybe the pre-order DLC maps if we're lucky). I'm fairly sure they need to patch the game in order accept the other DLC packages, and I guess this is the next upcoming patch.

Nemesis_

This will be added to the OT tomorrow. I will add screens and such too.

qZbdM.png

Capcom is pleased to announce that, in response to player feedback, a free title update for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Resident Evil 6 will be made available in mid-December. This update includes the following additions and improvements:

• Gamers will be able to adjust the camera to give a greater field of view as best suits their play style. Screenshots illustrating the new camera and co-op features can be found on Capcom&#8217;s press site. The camera screenshot pairs show the minimum and maximum range of the new camera setting. Please note that this feature is still in development and may change without further notice before the title update is released.
  • Subtitle options have been improved so that English language audio can be combined with subtitles in an alternative language.
  • As recently announced, Ada Wong&#8217;s campaign will be unlocked from the start and have an optional player-controlled co-op partner added. It was previously necessary to complete all three other campaigns in order to unlock Ada&#8217;s story.
  • 'No Hope&#8217; difficulty level will be added above the existing levels, for players who want an extreme challenge.

Capcom values user feedback on Resident Evil 6 and ResidentEvil.net and is working continuously to improve the experience for players.

Sojgat

Mid December is a while to wait, but it suits me fine (so many games coming out in the next few weeks), and I'm really impressed that they're actually doing this. New camera looks fantastic, it's exactly what I wanted.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wonder if switching the FOV will affect the framerate negatively? It probably would, right?

Maybe... but it seems like they already pull back the camera in some of the more open, demanding areas of the game.

Sectus

I wonder if switching the FOV will affect the framerate negatively? It probably would, right?

It might for more hectic scenes, but I imagine it would be fine for the most part.

This did remind me of a quick hack I made for the first demo for RE6. I went back and looked at my screenshots, and the min/max range for the zoom seems awfully similar to the screenshots I posted ages ago.

http://www.abload.de/img/2012-07-10_19-31-408foh2.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/2012-07-10_19-31-49vgrsc.jpg

This hack was done by making the game think that ingame have the same camera as cutscenes, therefore the increased FOV and borders at the top and bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they made the new FOV change, as I imagine it would be simplest way to implement it.

Bladenic

Making Ada's story available from the beginning is kind of silly to me. I think it's better played at the end. And without co-OP but that's optional at least.

Sojgat

It might, but some of the areas where the camera is already zoomed out like that are big boss battles, and they run fine. Jake and Chris giant BOW crossover section has the two different FOVs. Chris is zoomed while in Jake's campaign it's pulled back more, it's basically the same section and it doesn't seem to run any different (on 360 anyway).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Curious to see how this applies to some of the areas where the camera takes on a different angle, but put me among those that are pleasantly surprised that they're taking the time to address the camera complaints.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Making Ada's story available from the beginning is kind of silly to me. I think it's better played at the end. And without co-OP but that's optional at least.

It sounds from the press release that the co-op partner is only human-controlled, so I imagine you won't be able to play it solo with a co-op partner.

Anyway yesterday was the first time since October 2 that I didn't play RE6; I rented Dishonored from Redbox and was trying it out for the first time. Am I the only one who laments the lack of dodging and rolling and sliding in all games now? At least you can slide in Dishonored, which is awesome, but I wanted to run up to people and suplex them, which I couldn't do. So sad.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It sounds from the press release that the co-op partner is only human-controlled, so I imagine you won't be able to play it solo with a co-op partner.

Anyway yesterday was the first time since October 2 that I didn't play RE6; I rented Dishonored from Redbox and was trying it out for the first time. Am I the only one who laments the lack of dodging and rolling and sliding in all games now? At least you can slide in Dishonored, which is awesome, but I wanted to run up to people and suplex them, which I couldn't do. So sad.

Not all games, but I didn't realize how intuitive RE6's controls were fully until I started going to other action games. I find myself subconsciously wanting to roll dodge and slide and stuff. I didn't realize going into the game how impacting that would be for gameplay, and getting out I didn't realize how much I was going to start wishing more games would use this.

I also have cemented that if one of my secret dream sequels ever gets made (Shadows of the Damned 2), that game could benefit so much from rolling and sliding that it is almost ridiculous as that would be a perfect way to replace the somewhat broken dodge mechanic the game had.

Sojgat

Now they just need to add a gallery where players can peruse the loading screen tips.

"Strelats doesn't like martial arts" needs to be a postcard:)

Sectus

Will there be ANY advantage playing with the camera at Minimum Setting, close to the character like it is now?

Gamechanger, son.

There will be a small advantage for when you play on High Seas and wanna shoot the snipers and rocket dudes without using a sniper rifle. But I imagine every serious player will change to max regardless.

Edit: Actually, even that probably won't be an advantage. I assume the aiming camera isn't affected by this.

Curious to see how this applies to some of the areas where the camera takes on a different angle, but put me among those that are pleasantly surprised that they're taking the time to address the camera complaints.

Having modded the camera in RE5 and it looks like RE6 has the same system, I'm very certain this FOV will act as a modifier. So all the various camera changes will be intact, but this will always act as a modifier to that. I imagine scenes where it did zoom out automatically, it'll now zoom out reeaally far.

People released mods for RE5 PC which basically did the exact same thing as this patch.

Neiteio

I like the camera as is, so I don't see myself toying with that feature. What I'm more concerned about is how Helper/Agent (pick a name and stick with it!) isn't mentioned for Mercs. I was hoping this update would include that, and maybe it will, but it'd be nice to see confirmation in the PR... :-\

Bladenic

I like the camera as is, so I don't see myself toying with that feature. What I'm more concerned about is how Helper/Agent (pick a name and stick with it!) isn't mentioned for Mercs. I was hoping this update would include that, and maybe it will, but it'd be nice to see confirmation in the PR... :-\

I like the camera just fine too... We're alone though, it seems. Still I'll probably try the new feature when/if I replay the game.

I really hope when/if Capcom releases campaign DLC, that they'll listen to all the criticisms of the game and deliver a really amazing DLC package free of the rest of the game's faults.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've also gotten used to the close camera, but I will most likely play through the entire game again with the new camera to see how the game feels (probably much different). I would actually imagine Chris' campaign would see the largest improvement from the new camera since his game is more action packed, whereas Leon/Ada would probably see the least improvement since their campaigns are all about claustrophobia and the feeling of isolation.

Top Bottom