• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sectus

I'm mostly concerned about the extra DLC maps T_T. The more time I spend digging through game files, the more hints I find about them already being finished. It just seems arbitrary to delay the release for so long.

Maybe they're using a release schedule similar to SFxT, where they'll be using this extra content to "extend the life" of the game, despite the fact it's already ready to be released.

Neiteio

I'm mostly concerned about the extra DLC maps T_T. The more time I spend digging through game files, the more hints I find about them already being finished. It just seems arbitrary to delay the release for so long.

Maybe they're using a release schedule similar to SFxT, where they'll be using this extra content to "extend the life" of the game, despite the fact it's already ready to be released.
Well yeah, Mercs maps are my No. 1 "want" with RE6 as well, but I just meant of the related items on the PR list, where Helper/Agent would've seemed like an obvious bullet point, but wasn't. :O

On another note, it hurts my gamer soul that so many people still don't know how incredible this game's core gameplay is, because they've been scared off by awkward first impressions (I know I nearly was with the demo) or the echo chamber effect of reviewers who, I think experience has revealed, had more half-truths than truths with their critique. This is a more solid game than not, and I'm sure a good chunk of the people who skipped out would've actually liked it.

Ah well. Dem be the breaks.

Mid december? All aboard the fail boat.

I mean seriously people have been complaining hard about the camera since the first demo and it takes them this long to address it? Lame.

Whompa

Just beat 3 campaigns. Ada's I will wait on till the DLC character is in there.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about the game was the camera on SOME occasions...the rest of this game is fine. I even enjoyed Gears of Evil (Chris' Campaign).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I also have a theory they want to space it out so the stuff they make post-release doesn't take too long to develop. If they still have teams actively working on the game (which I assume they are if they are working on this camera update), I am assuming they likely will have campaign DLC a year or so from now and want to space out releasing stuff to keep a steady interest in the game and, as you said, expand its lifespan.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Mid december? All aboard the fail boat.

I mean seriously people have been complaining hard about the camera since the first demo and it takes them this long to address it? Lame.

You know they can't crap out patches in a matter of weeks, right? Even if the patch is ready to go they still have to go through Sony and Microsoft's certification processes. Plus at least they're addressing the issue, which is more than I can say for most developers these days.

Well yeah, Mercs maps are my No. 1 "want" with RE6 as well, but I just meant of the related items on the PR list, where Helper/Agent would've seemed like an obvious bullet point, but wasn't. :O

On another note, it hurts my gamer soul that so many people still don't know how incredible this game's core gameplay is, because they've been scared off by awkward first impressions (I know I nearly was with the demo) or the echo chamber effect of reviewers who, I think experience has revealed, had more half-truths than truths with their critique. This is a more solid game than not, and I'm sure a good chunk of the people who skipped out would've actually liked it.

Ah well. Dem be the breaks.

Maybe you should make another version of your 999 thread. I almost bought a 3DS because of that thread lol.

Come to think of it that probably wouldn't be a terrible idea, since I could finally play Revelations. But I just bought a second-hand Wii, so I'll just work through that system's backlog instead.

Bladenic

Yet another example of lazy translation. They left quite a few bits out of the Rasklapanje file (and got its meaning in Serbian completely wrong).

http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Rasklapanje-File

I always thought it was really weird that it was called "demolition" lol. So sad that in this day and age the translation is still error filled. At least the script (?) is exempt, from grammar errors at least. And the VA is good.

They've had plenty of time since the intial demo and release to work on a fix. The fact that it's going to take two more months is sad.

It's still better than no fix at all tho.

Sectus

I got a feeling they weren't aware of it being a problem until the reviews came out. I really doubt they have many people looking at player feedback, if any at all. In a way I find it understandable. I mean, if they had some people looking at this thread, they'd probably give up reading by page 5 because 90% of the posts are "Man, this game sucks! It's the worst ever! They should stop making games!"

Bladenic

I got a feeling they weren't aware of it being a problem until the reviews came out. I really doubt they have many people looking at player feedback, if any at all. In a way I find it understandable. I mean, if they had some people looking at this thread, they'd probably give up reading by page 5 because 90% of the posts are "Man, this game sucks! It's the worst ever! They should stop making games!"

Well maybe... but then what about focus groups and whatnot?

Or demo reactions, for one.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Surprisingly though the reviews didn't really complain about the awful camera so much as the occasional QTEs and the fantastic combat system.

Sectus

Yeah, I must be wrong. I randomly looked back at some old posts and there's this:
They explicitly said in an interview that they were looking into changing the camera. This was months ago.

I guess they were just really slow at fixing it.

Edit: Actually, that seems to be related to another change.

I'll just stop talking!

Bollocks

Oh come on cacpom, mid December? really?
Why would you put that stuff in the retail version in the first place if you only intend to unlock it 3 months later

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh come on cacpom, mid December? really?
Why would you put that stuff in the retail version in the first place if you only intend to unlock it 3 months later

They probably liked the camera they had. It's a pretty good camera.

Either way... this is a response to complaints. That they are doing it at all is pretty interesting since you can count on one hand and one finger the number of console games that made a post-release camera FOV adjustment.

It was never intended to be changed. They are making a concession. Mid december is likely taking into account mandatory QA time and/or their previous DLC schedule.

Bittercup

The patch sounds nice (even though I don't mind the camera) but mid-December is so far away :/
I hope they still release some DLC in the meantime.

Sectus

Why is everyone saying we won't get DLC until the patch drops?

Because the DLC would most likely need a patch for the game to accept the DLC packages. The only DLC which would be guaranteed to work right now are the pre-order DLC maps, so maybe those could be released in the meantime.

Neiteio

Because the DLC would most likely need a patch for the game to accept the DLC packages. The only DLC which would be guaranteed to work right now are the pre-order DLC maps, so maybe those could be released in the meantime.
Seeing the hours and hours of mileage I've already gotten from the three starter maps, another three maps would do miracles. :)

Though I'm scared to fight Lepotitsa in Catacombs. :-\

Sectus

Seeing the hours and hours of mileage I've already gotten from the three starter maps, another three maps would do miracles. :)

Though I'm scared to fight Lepotitsa in Catacombs. :-\

Lepotitsa isn't so bad. It has faaaaar less health than in campaign. Same with the chainsaw boss in Rail Yard. You'd expect him to be difficult, but he's got too little health to be any threat.

I get the impression they designed the bosses to be a challenge to keep alive, not to be a challenge to kill.

Neiteio

Lepotitsa isn't so bad. It has faaaaar less health than in campaign. Same with the chainsaw boss in Rail Yard. You'd expect him to be difficult, but he's got too little health to be any threat.

I get the impression they designed the bosses to be a challenge to keep alive, not to be a challenge to kill.
Ah, I was wondering how they would balance them -- sounds good. Most interested to see how Rasklapanje and Ogroman are handled, if they indeed are in Liquid Fire and Requiem for War, respectively.

Lum1n3s

Any tips on becoming a better player for Mercs, managed to get to 113 enemies in Chinatown with Jake. Also, what's this I hear about them adding co-op to Ada's campaign?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm yeah then maybe they should give us the pre-order maps soon, because that will give this game some legs until that mid-December patch is released. Those are all cleared for launch by MS/Sony so I don't see why they would hold them back, especially with Halo 4 and BLOPS 2 releasing in the next few weeks. The only reason I can see behind this is that the retailers negotiated some exclusivity period during which Capcom couldn't sell the maps.

In fact if the pre-order maps don't release before Halo 4 gets its hooks in me it might be hard for me to justify buying them.

Any tips on becoming a better player for Mercs, managed to get to 113 enemies in Chinatown with Jake. Also, what's this I hear about them adding co-op to Ada's campaign?

Chinatown? I imagine you mean Urban Chaos, which is actually set in China proper.

I'd suggest playing co-op first, since it's much easier to get a handle on the way the maps play, the enemy spawns, and how to maneuver around the map when you have someone else playing beside you. Get all the time crystals and health pickups first, before killing any enemies. The most important thing is to make sure you never lose your combo, so if you need to use a magnum to shoot an enemy on the other side of the map just to keep the combo going, then by all means do it. Otherwise you want to always use either melee kills (shoot enemies in the face or in the arm/shoulder then run up to them and do the melee kill) or counter kills (hit RT right before you get hit by an enemy to counter them). These kills give you +5 and +10 seconds on the clock, which should help you go for longer.

Chris chapter 4 is the worst chapter in the entire game. Well, to be fair the second half of it really salvaged the fun for me, but the first half of that chapter was the least fun I had in this game.
So disagree, the first half of Chris 2 is his bad chapter. Leon 3 is by far the worst thing in the game(except for replays and then its Leon 1)
Jake 2 is also worse.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So disagree, the first half of Chris 2 is his bad chapter. Leon 3 is by far the worst thing in the game(except for replays and then its Leon 1)

Was that the section from the demo? I didn't really mind that since it didn't feel like I was getting ganged up on from thirteen directions with snipers posted on every piece of level geometry.

Sectus

If anyone wanna see mercs gameplay with Helena2 and Sherry1, I uploaded a video of a few failed mercs runs here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YetJTTNO-Cw

Was trying to go for keeping the boss alive, but in the first run the boss died way too early and in the second run we died.

Ah, I was wondering how they would balance them -- sounds good. Most interested to see how Rasklapanje and Ogroman are handled, if they indeed are in Liquid Fire and Requiem for War, respectively.

Also curious how the Meset is handled, if it's in Liquid Fire. I played Jake chapter 2 the other day, and I realized the Mesets can be a bit mean when they grab you. I was walking on the bridge when one grapped me, and then dropped me off the bridge. I wonder if there's one-hit kill potential in Liquid Fire with all the lava around. That could make them one of the most dangerous enemy types.

We should stop trying to discuss which chapters were the best or the worsts, I don't think we'll have two same opinions in the matter.

Such a divisive game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Leon 1 is worst because of the forced walking in the beginning... actually not really the walking (since I'm normally walking anyway), but rather the waiting for that slow retard to navigate the corridors and open doors. It's fine after the elevator, but up to that point Leon 1 is painful on replay.

We should stop trying to discuss which chapters were the best or the worsts, I don't think we'll have two same opinions in the matter.

Such a divisive game.

Lol it's true

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there's one-hit kill potential in Liquid Fire with all the lava around. That could make them one of the most dangerous enemy types.

You mean annoying. That would make them on of the most annoying enemy types if they could one-shot you when you're at a 135 combo.

Lum1n3s

Hmm yeah then maybe they should give us the pre-order maps soon, because that will give this game some legs until that mid-December patch is released. Those are all cleared for launch by MS/Sony so I don't see why they would hold them back, especially with Halo 4 and BLOPS 2 releasing in the next few weeks. The only reason I can see behind this is that the retailers negotiated some exclusivity period during which Capcom couldn't sell the maps.

In fact if the pre-order maps don't release before Halo 4 gets its hooks in me it might be hard for me to justify buying them.

Chinatown? I imagine you mean Urban Chaos, which is actually set in China proper.

I'd suggest playing co-op first, since it's much easier to get a handle on the way the maps play, the enemy spawns, and how to maneuver around the map when you have someone else playing beside you. Get all the time crystals and health pickups first, before killing any enemies. The most important thing is to make sure you never lose your combo, so if you need to use a magnum to shoot an enemy on the other side of the map just to keep the combo going, then by all means do it. Otherwise you want to always use either melee kills (shoot enemies in the face or in the arm/shoulder then run up to them and do the melee kill) or counter kills (hit RT right before you get hit by an enemy to counter them). These kills give you +5 and +10 seconds on the clock, which should help you go for longer.
Yeah that's what I managed to do with the enemies, the ones with weapons I make sure to daze them with quick-shots then RT and sometimes I manage to take out 2-3 at the same time. When the dogs come I make sure to RT right as they're about to come at me and I manage to take out 2-3 at the same time which really helps out. Also, wouldn't going after the time crystals before taking out any enemies waste time more so than going at them as soon as the timer is about to go out and getting them? I like to route my enemies towards the crystals as soon as I see my time has diminished and once I'm nearby I'll smack em and keep on going.

bumpkin

I know I'm way behind most of the folks in here, but I'm slowly soldiering though Leon's campaign. I just finished chapter 2 the other night, and all I can is this;
I seriously felt as though the AI characters killed the boss for me. I think I got in maybe half a dozen shots between the first phase and the mine cart-esque segment, yet somehow "beat" the boss.
I really hope that the other encounters aren't as unsatisfying.

Neiteio

Also curious how the Meset is handled, if it's in Liquid Fire. I played Jake chapter 2 the other day, and I realized the Mesets can be a bit mean when they grab you. I was walking on the bridge when one grapped me, and then dropped me off the bridge. I wonder if there's one-hit kill potential in Liquid Fire with all the lava around. That could make them one of the most dangerous enemy types.
The ability of the Mesets to pick up and drop players to a one-hit death sounds like a perfect fit for Liquid Fire, if the map is what it appears to be (the lava-filled final boss arena from Jake Ch. 5).

Such a divisive game.
Agreed. I personally don't think any chapter outright fails -- they're all -at least- decently fun, first time through and on replays. And picking a favorite would be like picking a favorite child, as I have so many of them! Honestly, I just wish there was a way to break the chapters into sub-chapters so I could jump straight to some incredible bits like
the optical camoflage snake boss
in Chris Ch 3. :)

Leon 1 is worst because of the forced walking in the beginning... actually not really the walking (since I'm normally walking anyway), but rather the waiting for that slow retard to navigate the corridors and open doors. It's fine after the elevator, but up to that point Leon 1 is painful on replay.
it also has alot of those forced cutscenes which are annoying after playing it already.

Sojgat

Jake 2 is also worse.

Outside of these chapters I have very few problems with the game (besides the vehicle set pieces). The majority of the game content is great, I just wish many of these bad ideas were left out altogether, they diminish the overall product.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's what I managed to do with the enemies, the ones with weapons I make sure to daze them with quick-shots then RT and sometimes I manage to take out 2-3 at the same time. When the dogs come I make sure to RT right as they're about to come at me and I manage to take out 2-3 at the same time which really helps out. Also, wouldn't going after the time crystals before taking out any enemies waste time more so than going at them as soon as the timer is about to go out and getting them? I like to route my enemies towards the crystals as soon as I see my time has diminished and once I'm nearby I'll smack em and keep on going.

Try to avoid using quick-shots unless you absolutely need to, since running out of stamina in Mercs is devastating. Instead of dazing enemies with quick-shots, daze them with headshots or arm shots. Quickshots will instantly kill dogs, so that is useful to know.

At the end of the level your score is based on how much time you have left on the clock, so you always want to get all the time crystals. Getting them before you start shooting enemies is good because then you can just focus on shooting enemies instead of trying to bait them towards time crystals. Things get so hectic towards the end of each level that you probably won't have time to chase down cystals.

If you're playing co-op, the best way is to have one person chase down all the crystals and one person start killing enemies immediately.

Gamefaqs has a guide for mercs. I recommend you check it out. I cant link it cause I am at work but its pretty detailed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was just watching a Halo 4 unboxing and the case doesn't come with a manual. Is this a thing now?

I handed Leon 3 without much of a problem, but the guy I was playing with really got his ass kicked lol.

I think that's one of the few levels where enemies respawn indefinitely until you move on, and if you don't realize that you will get rocked. It's my least favorite of Leon's levels in any case.

Such a divisive game.

Resident Evil 6 is Capcom's double album. Bloated, all over the place quality-wise, an attempt at many different styles, no one can decide what disc is better, most don't rank it very highly in the catalog while a small group love it, and would have been better if it were edited down significantly.

I happen to generally like double albums.

Guys how "scary" is this game? I mean compared to lets say RE4. Never played 5 and enjoyed 4 for its "actiony" feel unlike the previous ones. When I say scary I mean "jump-at-you" stuff. Hate those things :)

DonMigs85

Guys how "scary" is this game? I mean compared to lets say RE4. Never played 5 and enjoyed 4 for its "actiony" feel unlike the previous ones. When I say scary I mean "jump-at-you" stuff. Hate those things :)

It's not too bad. Should probably play RE5 first though.
RE5 in 3D on PC was a stunning experience at my friend's place.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Not at all. It has some "tense" moments where things are quiet and moody, but it's never actually scary since most of the time nothing really happens.

No scary except for a couple of moments, because they're so obvious that it fails completly.

Yeah, even compared to RE4.

Top Bottom