• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The only "good" news I can tell you is that you wouldn't be valid for the event scoreboard. It's still 10 hours away.

I guess... either way, that broke my spirit. First time I played RE6 in a couple days and I was just gonna "warm up" with a mercs round. Ugh.

I really can't believe how bad this game pisses me off. Every time I turn it on I regret buying it. The CE is so fucking half assed too that if I didn't get a somewhat good deal on it I would regret spending more for it, but at least it came with a couple of good RE games and a DVD of a movie I've already owned for years. Motherfuck.

By the way I am on the train scene with Leon.

GeekyDad

You don't understand, I was holding down the accelerator non-stop on my first 8 tries and dying constantly. Then I realized I shouldn't hold down the accelerator and I beat it in one try. The accelerator should be used as more of a speed boost than a gas pedal.

Nah, I got you. I was just kidding.

But at first the sequence gives you the impression that you need to go fast in order to escape.

Dreamer RD

I am going to cry... 147 kill combo on solo Urban Chaos... I had three+ mins left and the secret boss alive, was about to easily kill the two lame asses next to him with the shotgun, had saved my rocket launcher for him, and I got hit from behind. Which led to another hit as soon as I recovered. The combo expired and as I was about to gain my feet, at least to finish the round, I got KO'd by asshole boss I dodged for the entire round. Then a cunt zombie killed me while I was downed.

I.. just... om..g... WTF!?!?!!?

I could have been pretty damn high on the contest scoreboard and I fucking blew it. Raphael DAAAAMMMMNNNN!!!!!.gif

:(

Now you agree that RE6 mercs is garbage? All this reunion combo and boss delay thing is a joke. Many top RE5 players already left RE6, because there is almost no competition and that system is fucked up. In RE5 you had to train hard and learn strategies. Here you just use counter, sometimes meless and running away from boss like a fool.

Sectus

Now you agree that RE6 mercs is garbage? All this reunion combo and boss delay thing is a joke. Many top RE5 players already left RE6, because there is almost no competition and that system is fucked up. In RE5 you had to train hard and learn strategies. Here you just use counter, sometimes meless and running away from boss like a fool.

Yes. Because staying in the same area for the entire match (unless you had to deal with spawn regions) and doing one of two attacks for the entire match is so much more demanding.

You've made your point about you hating RE6 mercs. At this point, I think I'd prefer you just return to RE5. It sounds like you'd enjoy that much more and you wouldn't have to keep doing the same rant here.

Evolved1

No I don't think it's garbage. lol

Actually, and I'm not even a layman at RE5 mercs (though I'm pretty good at RE5 proper) I find RE5 mercs to be "cheaper". Insofar as the limited mobility and enemies' long melee reach, combined with their target tracking, can really ruin your day. It is more frustrating imo than RE6 mercs. But isn't that the sell? I mean weren't you originally saying that RE5 was better because RE6 was too easy? Or something along those lines?

At the end of the day I have huge respect for you guys who can post those crazy scores on RE5. Really.

But I think RE6 is more fun. A lot more fun. Learning to deal with the frustration is just part of it. That particular round hit me pretty hard, but I'll regroup. It's interesting, because when I get my shit torn up RE5 mercs I say, "Damn, this game is mean". In RE6 I say, "Damn that was my own stupid fault for getting lazy about what was behind me."

RE5 mercs swarms you from the first moments, it's just constant pressure and no breathing room at all. RE6 you get a slow build up to that shit. But imo it gets just as claustrophobic in a mob... especially when you're trying to juggle keeping a secret boss alive and the combo going, and tougher enemies that have armor/magnums.

The main difference, imo, is mobility. The freedom in RE6 makes the mode more fun... yeah idk maybe the scoring isn't too great for the super hardcore 2% topping the worldwide leaderboards... but that's not my gig anyway.

At least the people on the RE6 leaderboard use more than one character. And no one character has any huge advantage over another outside of basic equipment loadout. They are all viable. And I will get the damn map down. You're good player I respect your opinion... but I like what I like, you know?

Dreamer RD

Yes. Because staying in the same area for the entire match (unless you had to deal with spawn regions) and doing one of two attacks for the entire match is so much more demanding.

You've made your point about you hating RE6 mercs. At this point, I think I'd prefer you just return to RE5. It sounds like you'd enjoy that much more and you wouldn't have to keep doing the same rant here.

I know that you are well known RE modder (or hacker) with big ballz, but you are casual player in mercs at best (sorry if it's too harsh for you, and yes, I watched your videos), so what you say about RE5 mercs is laughable. And when almost entire RE mercs community says RE6 mercs is piece of shit and just a reunion clone - that means something, dont you think? I already said that I accepted RE6, no matter how shitty it is.
Also, if you tired from my RE6 hating messages, there is always block option, so feel free to use that.

No I don't think it's garbage. lol
But I think RE6 is more fun.

I agree.

Bladenic

I know that you are well known RE modder (or hacker) with big ballz, but you are casual player in mercs at best (sorry if it's too harsh for you, and yes, I watched your videos), so what you say about RE5 mercs is laughable. And when almost entire RE mercs community says RE6 mercs is piece of shit and just a reunion clone - that means something, dont you think? I already said that I accepted RE6, no matter how shitty it is.
Also, if you tired from my RE6 hating messages, there is always block option, so feel free to use that.

I agree.

Lol wtf

I agree.

What the hell is this childish bullshit

Neiteio

I agree.
Or maybe these RE5 "pros" you speak of like to talk shit about something they're no longer the best at since they have to relearn things, hmm? At any rate, you really ought to not take a dump on Sectus. He's not dumping on all of the videos you posted. ;)

Dreamer RD

Is it always like this on GAF? I mean, seriously. I am attacked by various amateurs who trying to proove that RE6 mercs is harder/better than RE5 without even some facts. Only poor subjective opinions like "I love Sherry's ass. Mercs rocks, You plain wrong etc" and personal attacks like that Laharl kiddo posted.

Here's the thread on largest biomercs site about re6 mercs http://www.biohazardmercenaries.com/forums/index.php?topic=9136.0
Just to let you know that I am not the only one "always complaining RE5 veteran".

Riposte

I'll care about the scoring system more when they tie it better to the content of the game. That said, I think I like RE5 The Mercenaries better.

Bladenic

Is it always like this on GAF? I mean, seriously. I am attacked by various amateurs who trying to proove that RE6 mercs is harder/better than RE5 without even some facts. Only poor subjective opinions like "I love Sherry's ass. Mercs rocks, You plain wrong etc" and personal attacks like that Laharl kiddo posted.

Here's the thread on largest biomercs site about re6 mercs http://www.biohazardmercenaries.com/forums/index.php?topic=9136.0
Just to let you know that I am not the only one "always complaining RE5 veteran".

Do not, seriously, try to be a victim. Just don't.

You're being a giant asshole. Also nobody even said anything bad to you, WickedLaharl's post was hardly a personal attack, though your post was very childish. Basically, get over it. Deal with it, etc.

Sectus

I present legitimate arguments as to how RE6 can be more indepth than RE5, and your argument is "Lol, you suck at the game"?

So RE6 mercs is a piece of shit reunion clone which is more fun?

Is that the same site which recently went through an structural overhaul because people were too hostile to eachother? Where they had to add to official rules that people should stop being hostile to people who like other mercenaries types that isn't RE5 non-reunion mercs?

Only poor subjective opinions like "I love Sherry's ass. Mercs rocks, You plain wrong etc" and personal attacks like that Laharl kiddo posted.
This is extremely ironic coming from you.

GeekyDad

You're the only one I ever read bashing it...constantly. And I don't think he's the only one who's tired of reading about it. You said your piece. How many times does it need to be repeated. The schoolyard shit ("you're a casual player at best") is silly and makes you sound like a moron. Either offer something meaningful to the discussion or move on please.

First, you're being pretty damn rude, the fact you are a better player than other people dosn't give you the hold of the truth.

Second, if you want to show us how much better is RE5 mercs to RE6 the thing you should do, instead of spitting the "I'm a pro and you're noobs" nonsense if give proper arguments on why is so.

Evolved1

Second, if you want to show us how much better is RE5 mercs to RE6 the thing you should do, instead of spitting the "I'm a pro and you're noobs" nonsense if give proper arguments on why is so.

He has on multiple occasions explained his position. Personally I don't find his posts that offensive. It might be poor form to call other people casuals and dismiss certain criticisms based on "lol u suck" but then again, the guy is better than most everyone else so even if it's a little rude the point stands. It'd be different if it was just talk, but the guy has video to back up his words.

Also, people have accused him of being salty because he mastered RE5 mercs and allegedly shits on RE6 because he isn't as good at it. Well from what I hear the guy is pretty sick at RE6 as well, so that really isn't a valid argument.

I guess you could say being snarky doesn't foster friendly community relations but imo his criticisms of RE (even though I don't necessarily agree with them) are welcome in the thread because this is someone who has put a lot of time into RE... not some drive-by troll. It would be better if people would avoid personal slights/denigrating remarks though.

That's my take on it anyway.

Hopefully people can just be friendly and disagree on stuff amicably, going forward. Spread the goodwill, everyone hear likes RE in some way... even if we disagree on the specifics. Should be able to do it in a friendly manner.

Sectus

He has on multiple occasions explained his position. Personally I don't find his posts that offensive. It might be poor form to call other people casuals and dismiss certain criticisms based on "lol u suck" but then again, the guy is better than most everyone else so even if it's a little rude the point stands. It'd be different if it was just talk, but the guy has video to back up his words.

Also, people have accused him of being salty because he mastered RE5 mercs and allegedly shits on RE6 because he isn't as good at it. Well from what I hear the guy is pretty sick at RE6 as well, so that really isn't a valid argument.

I guess you could say being snarky doesn't foster friendly community relations but imo his criticisms of RE (even though I don't necessarily agree with them) are welcome in the thread because this is someone who has put a lot of time into RE... not some drive-by troll. It would be better if people would avoid personal slights/denigrating remarks though.

Hopefully people can just be friendly and disagree on stuff amicably, going forward. Spread the goodwill, everyone hear likes RE in some way... even if we disagree on the specifics. Should be able to do it in a friendly manner.

I'd just like to see him present actual real arguments instead of trying to insult people. Even his random insults don't hit the mark. I think it's pretty hard to call me a casual fan of mercs when I've done stuff like getting a full 150 combo on every RE5 stage using the bolt action rifle only. Even though I didn't like the focus on melee spam for high scoring play I still played RE5 mercs to death.

The few arguments he's mentioned doesn't really mean much. He complained there's a smaller gap between high level players and casual players. How does this really matter? If you're good at the game, you know someone getting 1300k is a lot better than someone getting 1000k. You don't need a bigger gap between the numbers to be aware of this.

And then the one thing he's mentioned a billion times without going into detail is that getting a high score for 150 combo is bad. He never explained why this is bad. It just seems like a subjective opinion to me. I personally find it fun and thrilling to play for a 150 combo and it's weird to see someone claim it's inherently bad without explaining why. The only "why" he ever said was "Even casuals can do it!" which is a weird argument as that implies a pro would have no problem doing it, and it's incorrect considering getting a 150 combo in solo is actually pretty hard. It's not something most people will ever do (right now, less than 1% of xbox players got 150 combo in solo on the easiest stage).

Bittercup

Halfway though my professional run and the only other thing between me and the Platinum Trophy beside the last few emblems are the 150 medals for Covered in Brass.
Unfortunately I suck at Mercenaries and I doubt I get more than the 12 medals I have so far plus 119 from the campaign. I hope I get the rest with Agent Hunt... :s
I could probably get a few more from the campaign but I'm not sure how to get some.
For example "Killed 3 zombies hiding on the rooftop" on Leon 1 or "Rescued a hostage from certain death" on Chris 1. Played both chapters 2 times and not figured out what to do and where. I have quite a lot of those chapter medals missing.
Or the exact requirements to get a C and D for Death, Time and Enemies routed.
Does anyone has a more detailed guide? Especially for the chapter medals would be nice.

Evolved1

Halfway though my professional run and the only other thing between me and the Platinum Trophy beside the last few emblems are the 150 medals for Covered in Brass.
Unfortunately I suck at Mercenaries and I doubt I get more than the 12 medals I have so far plus 119 from the campaign. I hope I get the rest with Agent Hunt... :s
I could probably get a few more from the campaign but I'm not sure how to get some.
For example "Killed 3 zombies hiding on the rooftop" on Leon 1 or "Rescued a hostage from certain death" on Chris 1. Played both chapters 2 times and not figured out what to do and where. I have quite a lot of those chapter medals missing.
Does anyone has a more detailed guide? Especially for the chapter medals would be nice.

If you are on PS3 I could help you get medals in mercs... I already have that trophy and I know a bunch of quirky merc medals that are easy enough to get.

I certainly don't follow the thread that closer so maybe I missed his arguments, but things like "smaller gap between high level players and more casuals" is barely the type of argument I was looking for, I meant more like "the mechanics of RE5 mercs are inherently better than RE6 because of X and Y". The ones he said that are reflected on Sectus post fall on the subjective aspects.

And I strongly disagree that skills gives someone the hold of what's truth or not, he might have more weight regarding aspects of the game, but if I played MW3 like 20 hours and think that it sucks, I certainly wouldn't tolerate somone coming at me at saying: "ME3 is da best, you just suck!", 20 hours is more than enogh to grasp the mechanics of MW3 and have a proper opinion like the one who spent 100+ hours. The same can be said about RE mercs modes.

That's my last statement on this until proper discussion are given.

Evolved1

Crap. I ended up beating my highest Urban Chaos score with Leon just yesterday. Killed all 150 and killed the secret boss last...probably won't ever beat that score.

You could use a different character though, right? Would that count?

Sectus

You could use a different character though, right? Would that count?

It only mentions beating your personal record, so I don't think using a different character will change it.

I'm not sure if it's glitched or if it hasn't been properly updated yet, but I can't even see any leaderboard for the event yet.

I still haven't survived Urban Chaos with anything above a C. I think I get screwed op my the time the Bloodshots spawn. Tips on these meaty bastards?

Evolved1

I still haven't survived Urban Chaos with anything above a C. I think I get screwed op my the time the Bloodshots spawn. Tips on these meaty bastards?

Two things: 1) incendiary grenades will kill an entire pack of them. It's their kryptonite. 2) they are pretty easy to counter for 10+ seconds. let them leap and when they're about 1/3 away from you hit attack for the OHK.

Bonus tip: UC has two remote bomb pickups. Locate a spot in the level that normally gives you trouble (can be where a particular boss or pack of troublesome enemies spawn, or a place you know will have enemies if your combo gets in trouble) and plant a remote bomb. You can easily switch to it and set it off when the time is right. Planting remote bombs during the heat of the round (even if you slide to plant) can be cumbersome and lead to tragic results. Put a strategic one down early, while you're collecting the time and pickups, can be a helpful strategy.

On UC, I often run into a problem with the armored guys up on the catwalk... I often lose my combo looking for people and the only guy I see is all the way up the stairs and he has armor. So I just leave a remote bomb at the top of the stairs as combo insurance. It's also easy to funnel enemies up there and get a chunk of kills if you want. Anyway, that's my tip.

edit: also, you may not know this but you can quickshot grenades if they're equipped.

edit2: also... on the UC catwalk, there is a barrel. If you plant the remote bomb just close enough to the barrel to set it off, it's possible to clear a big chink of it with an extended AOE blast. (i'm still experimenting with this... I want to try it in duo with a partner as bait up there)

Sectus

Does anyone know for certain if normal bosses count for the late combos boss kill bonus? I'm hearing conflicts reports about this. Some people say only secret bosses count, while others say that any boss counts (whoppers for instance).

As evolved mentioned, fire grenades and counters works extremely well. Counters are hard to do if there's many of them though, you need to gauge which of them will actually get within counter range first. If you counter their close range melee you'll set them up for a one-hit melee kill, but it's not as good as countering their pounce.

If you have acid rounds, then those can set them up for a one-hit melee kill. I think Helena gets just enough acid rounds to deal with the large bloodshot wave in the middle of the run.

If you have a pistol or assault rifle, they do actually go down surprisingly fast if you focus fire on one. Slower weapons can be a bit more tricky as they sidestep extremely often.

Two things: 1) incendiary grenades will kill an entire pack of them. It's their kryptonite. 2) they are pretty easy to counter for 10+ seconds. let them leap and when they're about 1/3 away from you hit attack for the OHK.

Bonus tip: UC has two remote bomb pickups. Locate a spot in the level that normally gives you trouble (can be where a particular boss or pack of troublesome enemies spawn, or a place you know will have enemies if your combo gets in trouble) and plant a remote bomb. You can easily switch to it and set it off when the time is right. Planting remote bombs during the heat of the round (even if you slide to plant) can be cumbersome and lead to tragic results. Put a strategic one down early, while you're collecting the time and pickups, can be a helpful strategy.

On UC, I often run into a problem with the armored guys up on the catwalk... I often lose my combo looking for people and the only guy I see is all the way up the stairs and he has armor. So I just leave a remote bomb at the top of the stairs as combo insurance. It's also easy to funnel enemies up there and get a chunk of kills if you want. Anyway, that's my tip.

edit: also, you may not know this but you can quickshot grenades if they're equipped.

edit2: also... on the UC catwalk, there is a barrel. If you plant the remote bomb just close enough to the barrel to set it off, it's possible to clear a big chink of it with an extended AOE blast. (i'm still experimenting with this... I want to try it in duo with a partner as bait up there)

Thanks, I'll try this tonight! Didn't know you could quickshot grenades either lol

Evolved1

Thanks, I'll try this tonight! Didn't know you could quickshot grenades either lol

Remember that after using a grenade or any item you''ll revert back to the last weapon you were holding, and will have to reselect the item to use it again. Unlike RE5 where holding a frag would mean you'd be holding them until you either exhausted them or manually switched away.

Another free tip: re6 doesn't have anywhere near the amount of skill needed to manage inventory during a round (imo this is the most impressive thing about re5 merc pros) but in RE6 you can think ahead a little bit. If you know you have bloodshots or whatever coming soon, take a second while it isn't as hectic to que up the inventory item you'll need next. The inventory has a memory, whatever was the last weapon or item you had selected when you switch away will be the first one when you switch back.

So if you select incendiary grenade and then switch to your gun... next time you press up/down on the dpad you'll automatically have the incendiary equipped. This can mitigate some fumbling in inventory, if you think ahead a little bit.

:)

Just checked a FAQ and it says so as well. Let's go hunting!

This should be true.
You can tell that you've gotten a new emblem because it will pop up that "this is an emblem, blah blah blah" text in the middle of the screen. Once that goes away, you're good, I believe. (I think this is proven by the fact that if you die, go back to the checkpoint before it, and shoot it again, you do NOT get the pop up message as if it were new again).

RE2 had a "mercs" mode? WTF?
Dual shock edition? No wonder... :lol

foxdvd

I thought I would never get this, because it seemed like I was missing a lot of medals, and Agent Hunt was not fun. One day I just started playing Agent Hunt, and after 30 minutes the achievement popped up. I did not even know I was that close.

Set up mercs, with playing for fun, and odds are you are going to get someone that joins your game that will easily get you over 100 combos...play each map...then load up Agent Hunt and play for a while...You might be surprised when your trophy pops up...

I thought I would never get this, because it seemed like I was missing a lot of medals, and Agent Hunt was not fun. One day I just started playing Agent Hunt, and after 30 minutes the achievement popped up. I did not even know I was that close.

Set up mercs, with playing for fun, and odds are you are going to get someone that joins your game that will easily get you over 100 combos...play each map...then load up Agent Hunt and play for a while...You might be surprised when your trophy pops up...

Mine popped up at a weird time too. Agent hunt is easy to get medals in because you get one for every time you play as a different enemy; and while it's not a super great experience, it is satisfying when you totally fuck up someone's day... :D

Bittercup

If you are on PS3 I could help you get medals in mercs... I already have that trophy and I know a bunch of quirky merc medals that are easy enough to get.
Thanks, that's kind :) I'll come back to your offer if I can't get the medals.

Cool and good to know :D I will try Agent Hunt then.

edit: And I got "Covered in Brass" :D
30min Agent Hunt and it was even fun to play. Reminds me a bit of Left4Dead playing as the undead.

resident evil 2 has the best mercs mode
Extreme_Battle_Chris.jpg

kunonabi

RE3 mercs will always be the one true mercs. Saving everyone with Nicholai is greatest test of all.

To be fair I don't think there is an RE minigame I don't like. Battle mode on the saturn is probably the weakest of the bunch.

Holy shit RE2 Extreme Battle love! I love this thread. The best RE minigame by a landslide and the hardest.

Edit: It's in Dual shock PS1 ver., PC version, Gamecube version, Dreamcast version and the PSN version.

Top Bottom