• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Replicant

Does the X mashing QTEs during
Simmon's Dinosaur form
actually work if you smash hard and fast?

I couldn't for the life of me mash fast enough for it to work on Professional. But then the battle basically ends on its own after you try the mashing (and fail) for about 3-4 times. What's the point of having QTEs if you're not meant to complete it and is just there for show?

And oh, you know what else is annoying? Those fucking slow-mos. It's especially bad if you happen to have a weapon that is out of ammo and you have to reload so you reeeeeeelooooooaaad and before you can shoot whatever it is you can shoot, you are already dead. Or in the case of
Simmon's Lion form on the train
, you're fucked if you are not already equipped with a sniper rifle.

It's a thing Capcom is doing too much. I personally don't mind it, but it is obvious that they like to do the whole "Final boss! ... just kidding, this is the true final boss! ... hah, gotcha! Here's the final final boss!"
How many times does that happen for
Simmons
? It must be like 6+ times.

When it gets to final final final final final final boss you just want to find the game designers and give them a high five. In the face. With a chair.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The part I tend to die on a lot, even on an amateur run, is the HAOS escape. Grrrr

A lot of people complain about that, but it is so easy. You literally keep holding the analog stick and A, and whenever the camera starts turning it's to show you where you're supposed to go. I found all the chase scenes in this game intuitive really.

Replicant

How many times does that happen for
Simmons
? It must be like 6+ times.

When it gets to final final final final final final boss you just want to find the game designers and give them a high five. In the face. With a chair.

I counted and you basically fight him around.....*drumroll*
times:
1. On top of a train, he's a lion/deer/giant dog and you have to shoot then melee him.
2. Inside a train. He's a Lion and you have to shoot him then avoid his last attack.
3. On top of a train again, you have to shoot him once before he headbutts the train
4. Inside a building, he's a T-REX! Now with useless QTEs.
5. On a highrise building, he's a huge Lion again for some reason.
6. On a gated airport area, he has claws on his back.
7. On a carriage, he's a fly.
8. On a rooftop, he's a giant fly/insect thingy.
9. On a rooftop part 2: Electric boogaaloo, he's still fly.

Yeah, I want to punch the designer too. Or whichever genius thought this would be fun.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I would count the first three and the last three as the same fight, you're just moving around while you do it. That would be like saying you fight (Leon chapter 2)
Deborah
three times, even though you're fighting it once but in three different locations as the fight progresses.

Replicant

I would count the first three and the last three as the same fight, you're just moving around while you do it. That would be like saying you fight (Leon chapter 2)
Deborah
three times, even though you're fighting it once but in three different locations as the fight progresses.

Strangely I don't count that encounter as 3 separate fights. Maybe because
she doesn't change forms and wasn't shown as dead so I just took it all as "She's not dead yet"
. Whereas with
Simmons
they keep giving you hope that maybe, just maybe he's dead this time around. Only Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Wrong again, Nope. Try again. Nope. Woohoo, Umbrella logo!!!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Strangely I don't count that encounter as 3 separate fights. Maybe because
she doesn't change forms and wasn't shown as dead so I just took it all as "She's not dead yet"
. Whereas with
Simmons
they keep giving you hope that maybe, just maybe he's dead this time around. Only Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Wrong again, Nope. Try again. Nope. Woohoo, Umbrella logo!!!

In that case the first three forms are at least the same fight, since you never actually "kill" him between those three scenes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really wonder what the record for forms in a boss is for games in general. I'm sure some obscure Japanese game has be have some crazy ass boss with over 20 somewhere.

Replicant

Wait, what QTEs were there in the
T-Rex fight
? I can't recall any.

Once you (or
Ada
- LOL) shoot him enough, he'll revert back to his human form. If you shoot him again a couple of times, you'll get contextual button (R1) you must press. This will lead you to beat him up QTEs style where you must mash X faster than the counter.

Mind you, I'm not sure if you can actually do that successfully or if doing so successfully will lead to faster way of killing him. I forgot if I did it in my normal run but I found that on Professional, the counter ran way too fast for me to mash quickly. Yet, the boss fight will end eventually anyway after 3 attempts (failed or otherwise) at bashing him.

Riposte

I really wonder what the record for forms in a boss is for games in general. I'm sure some obscure Japanese game has be have some crazy ass boss with over 20 somewhere.

Final Fantasy XI, Pandemonium Warden pre-patch. It was a +24 hour fight (only really seriously attempted once before it got nerfed) which consisted of it turning into several important NPCs, the most powerful endgame enemies, leaders of the regional monster-races, etc with each form having a whole new set of minions themed after that form. It was quite powerful in itself and the final true form would summon every summon in the game at once. Probably had around 20 forms, but I'm too lazy to count.

Bladenic

Once you (or
Ada
- LOL) shoot him enough, he'll revert back to his human form. If you shoot him again a couple of times, you'll get contextual button (R1) you must press. This will lead you to beat him up QTEs style where you must mash X faster than the counter.

Mind you, I'm not sure if you can actually do that successfully or if doing so successfully will lead to faster way of killing him. I forgot if I did it in my normal run but I found that on Professional, the counter ran way too fast for me to mash quickly. Yet, the boss fight will end eventually anyway after 3 attempts (failed or otherwise) at bashing him.

Oh that? That's present in all his fights except the final one you know..? And I always use it, not sure about damage or effectiveness but I've never had trouble using it, not even on Pro.

In that case the first three forms are at least the same fight, since you never actually "kill" him between those three scenes.
So that would give us
, going by Replicant's list? The whole 'not quite dead yet' thing can work once, maybe twice if you want to push it. Beyond that it's just getting silly.

Replicant

Oh that? That's present in all his fights except the final one you know..? And I always use it, not sure about damage or effectiveness but I've never had trouble using it, not even on Pro.

That's the funny thing. I had no problem with his other forms QTEs but on the
T-Rex
it didn't seem to take. I failed on all 3 prompts on
T-Rex
fight and yet the game still goes on anyway. So I guess it's not even important? As long as you
changed him to the human form 3 times
you're good to go? But then what's the point of putting it there if it doesn't do anything? Also, at times my AI companion is the one who's doing the bashing. I don't know what prompted it. Maybe because I suck at bashing it. LOL

I swear to God, people like to shit on Quantic Dream but at least their QTEs were never this bad/frustrating.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Once you (or
Ada

I was able to consistently mash it faster than the counter, but I was on 360 and I think mashing the A button is easier than mashing the X button on PS3 since the 360 buttons protrude.

Spoiler tag this

Agreed, but you may want to spoiler tag your quote as well.

Also, at times my AI companion is the one who's doing the bashing. I don't know what prompted it. Maybe because I suck at bashing it. LOL
YoVgO.gif

I swear to God, people like to shit on Quantic Dream but at least their QTEs were never this bad/frustrating.
The knife fight in RE4 started this whole damn trend I think. At least there it gave the fight a real sense of danger, and the whole thing was self-contained. It didn't hurt that the scene was so damn cool either. If the QTE sequence is kind of self-contained so that you know what you're in for, it's a little bit more palatable (e.g. in RE6 the
the giant fish QTE sequence where you finish it off as you're both hanging onto it for dear life
. These other QTE's which appear in the middle of gameplay though don't add much if you ask me; I much prefer the slomo shooting segments, at least then I feel like I'm having some input (even if the empty weapon thing is really annoying).

DonMigs85

Grrr, still grinding away for skill points for the darn Mad Skillz trophy, but I'll have to kick the disc out tomorrow in favor of Most Wanted.

kogasu

The Zero Punctuation review nailed it: when you abuse the "OMG he's not dead!" mechanic to the extent that they did in RE6, it makes the player so cynical that the boss fights end up devoid of any significance whatsoever. They just become tedious chores. RE games have been guilty of it for a while, but RE6 upped the ante to the extent that it basically became a parody of itself.

Yeah, I always thought of it as like a tradition of the RE series. You fight the final boss but, oh wait, the boss mutates and gets bigger and then when you hit that enough, you get a rocket launcher for the final blow. In this one though... I literally shouted "Oh will you just fuckin' die already?!?!." It was just way too much this time around.

Bladenic

You know, thinking about it, perhaps
Simmons having multiple forms was a nod to RE2 where Birkin keeps coming back looking worse and worse. Of course, Simmons's transformations really aren't the same, but still, could be sort of a nod.

Dreamer RD

I want to apologise for what I said earlier few pages back. Yeah, it was too harsh and stupid.

You can call me mercs nerd or whatever you like. Truth is somewhere near that. I spent almost 3 years on RE5 mercenaries, many people know me as "Ship Deck King" lol, because I holded world record there for a long time, both solo and duo (still 2 place on PS3 solo). Prison also, + few other maps.

So yeah, I dont like when people call RE5 mercs easy shit or else. Because if you wanna get great scores there or even WR's, then you must have a lot of patience, skills and knowledge of enemies behaviour, invincibility frames and spawns. When Reunion DLC was released, it was a first step in a wrong direction by Capcom. They lowered time importance, raised combo importance to max (you fail even if it breaks at 149) and introduced stupid Boss delay system to get better score.

Why it is stupid? Simple - actually it adds some extra challenge to run, but can be runied by silly AI or your own mistake. Boss can die in dynamite explosion, molotov cocktail burst ect. For example, you beasting on some map and have a great time + 145 combo, preparing to kill bosses, and then suddenly some shit happens, like dynamite out of nowhere, combo breaks and you fail a great run by such "minor" issue.

RE6 mercs is a successor of Mercenaries Reunion. But kinda worse in some ways and here I explain why:
Item micromanagement between players is gone - you cant give ammo or health item to your partner, which is really bad, especailly when you want to help less experienced player.
Now you cant discard weapon to free some space. The only options you have is to change slot for certain weapon and something else (already forgot, but it's definitely not discard option).
Most invincibility frames were removed. In RE5 you was invulnerable to all attacks and grabs for a certain period of time right after enemy attacked you. That was a key to plan your attacks and time to heal etc. For example, Lickers on Experimental Facility attack with 3sec "window", means you are safe after attack, unless a rocket guy targeted you DURING Licker attack animation.
In RE6, it's uncontrollable chaos most of the time. Enemies can damage you almost anytime. During grab animation, barrel roll or slide kick. For example, if you grabbed by dog on the ground (Urban Chaos), that does not mean other shit cant hit you in addition. Napad likes to smash grabbed players.
All this is very frustrating and sometimes destroys the will to play for high scores. Even if you are a PRO in mercs, RE6 does not give a fuck about it and can ruin your run by retarded AI.

That being said, I dont completely hate RE6 mercs. It's fun to play because character roster is great and like Evolved1 said, there is more freedom and mobility. + music is awesome. Although, it could have been even better with different tracks for each character like in RE4. X360 players are lucky, since they can use custom soundtracks.

@Sectus
Right, site was great back in 2009-2010, but then everything fucked up when some bad persons appeared and began to troll every player they simply dont like (mostly because their own scores sucked in comparison)

Anyway, RE6 leaderboards are ruined by hackers and online events seem worthless.
Last time I checked them, there was no glitched scores on 3 preorder maps, but obviously that would be "fixed" after public DLC.
Catacombs is my favorite map for now. Got 1432k duo with good partner.

I want to apologise for what I said earlier few pages back. Yeah, it was too harsh and stupid.

Aww

While I was never part of the inflammatory mercs back-and-forth that's been going on in here, some of the things you said did offend me...

You have my forgiveness, Dreamer. I am impressed you decided to apologize after all has been said and done.

That said, you're not the only one who was harsh, and perhaps there are some apologies warranted from others as well. =P

I'm sure everyone in here respects your mercs expertise and your opinion, dude. I even agree with you, really, for the most part, since you think RE6 mercs is fun anyway.

Most people who just play for fun would probably prefer RE6 mercs.

I personally do find going for high scores to be pretty fun, though, even though I'm not as hardcore as you about it.
I enjoyed playing with you the other night, we got a pretty good UC score

Daigoro

yeah RE6 mercs is not perfect. they did make some odd choices when making this game (like item management, that's a biggie, wtf).

but its the most fun mercs by far for me. ive liked each round of mercs better that the last since RE4. RE6 is easily the best. of course im probably not going to spent 3-500 hours going for the top of the leaderboards, but im sure ill put in 50-100 hours and get some decent scores and have fun doing it.

personally i agree with the choice to make the 150 combo all important. time is still huge as well because now its just who can do 150 the fastest. if you fuck up the combo, you fucked up.

also, counters are fucking great.

GeekyDad

yeah RE6 mercs is not perfect. they did make some odd choices when making this game (like item management, that's a biggie, wtf).

but its the most fun mercs by far for me. ive liked each round of mercs better that the last since RE4. RE6 is easily the best. of course im probably not going to spent 3-500 hours going for the top of the leaderboards, but im sure ill put in 50-100 hours and get some decent scores and have fun doing it.

personally i agree with the choice to make the 150 combo all important. time is still huge as well because now its just who can do 150 the fastest. if you fuck up the combo, you fucked up.

also, counters are fucking great.

My favorite new element of the game period, though they are kind of exploitable.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm personally not a fan of the combo system and agree with Ship Deck King on that one. You can lose your combo for any number of stupid reasons beyond your control, and that part of the game is a large part blind luck. Plus it means you have to focus on memorizing spawns rather than just playing the game and getting better at mechanics. I started being able to 150 Urban Chaos after I memorized which enemies spawn in which locations at which times. It's stupid. I feel like it's unnecessarily strict in that sense, but in terms of gameplay I think RE6 Mercs is better than RE5 Mercs due to the new combat system.

Neiteio

It's difficult loving RE4/Mercs, RE5/Merc, Revelations/Raid and RE6/Mercs all so much you want to play them all at the same time, but the space-time continuum dictates you can only play one at a time. :( Seriously, since RE6 came out, I've been on an "action RE" kick -- played RE6 the better part of October, now I'm on a huge Revelations kick, and I feel compelled to revisit RE5 Mercs to play as Battle Suit Jill in Experimental Facility, or Fairy Tale Sheva on Prison.

Sectus

Item management and lack of discarding weapons is something I definitely agree with. It's especially mind boggling considering that playing splitscreen uses a similar system as RE5 (items aren't duplicated and you can trade items with your partner).

There are some random factors in RE6, but I think they're mostly controllable. Enemies can hit eachother (like bloodshot jumping into eachother), but it's controllable if you keep it mind. There's a few things which are very difficult to control (zombies with dynamite might be one of the more difficult things), but well, it wasn't as if RE5 didn't have them either. I think RE5 had the most annoying thing (considering the time between combo kills were stricter and that the game was slower paced in general): cephalos. I despise them. They've destroyed more combos for me in RE5 than anything in RE6. The fact you had no idea if majini were gonna mutate or not was extremely frustrating.

The reduced amount of invincibility frames and the more aggressive enemies isn't something I see as negative. It's just a different game. It's balanced by the fact you have so so many more movement options and the fact you can also shoot anything a lot faster.

There are things I dislike about the current mercs: the fact that enemies are too few during the start of a match, lack of musical variety, the overly simplified item management, I wish j'avo would have more melee variety than just that sword and Capcom is stupid for making 10 mercs maps but only including 3 in the base game. And I think I would have preferred a simpler spawn region system instead of no spawn regions at all (although I wouldn't wanna go back to the system RE5 used as it just required too much memorization.)

That said, I think RE6 has more improvements. I don't see myself returning to RE5 mercs. I just really love how much more fast paced, hectic and dynamic RE6 mercs feels, especially mid to late in a run. I do a lot more improvisation than I ever did in RE5, and I like that. When doing RE5, it felt more like I was following a strict pre-planned route and I tried to execute it as best I could with the least amount of errors and some luck with the cephalos.

Neiteio

That said, I think RE6 has more improvements. I don't see myself returning to RE5 mercs. I just really love how much more fast paced, hectic and dynamic RE6 mercs feels, especially mid to late in a run. I do a lot more improvisation than I ever did in RE5, and I like that. When doing RE5, it felt more like I was following a strict pre-planned route and I tried to execute it as best I could with the least amount of errors and some luck with the cephalos.
Agreed. This is a good way to put it. The main thing that calls me back to RE5 is fondness of the characters and maps (Prison still being one of my all-time favorites). But in terms of gameplay, RE6 is so much more fun and requires much more improvisation -- a huge skill in itself, and a rewarding one.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Item management and lack of discarding weapons is something I definitely agree with. It's especially mind boggling considering that playing splitscreen uses a similar system as RE5 (items aren't duplicated and you can trade items with your partner).

There are some random factors in RE6, but I think they're mostly controllable. Enemies can hit eachother (like bloodshot jumping into eachother), but it's controllable if you keep it mind. There's a few things which are very difficult to control (zombies with dynamite might be one of the more difficult things), but well, it wasn't as if RE5 didn't have them either. I think RE5 had the most annoying thing (considering the time between combo kills were stricter and that the game was slower paced in general): cephalos. I despise them. They've destroyed more combos for me in RE5 than anything in RE6. The fact you had no idea if majini were gonna mutate or not was extremely frustrating.

The reduced amount of invincibility frames and the more aggressive enemies isn't something I see as negative. It's just a different game. It's balanced by the fact you have so so many more movement options and the fact you can also shoot anything a lot faster.

There are things I dislike about the current mercs: the fact that enemies are too few during the start of a match, lack of musical variety, the overly simplified item management, I wish j'avo would have more melee variety than just that sword and Capcom is stupid for making 10 mercs maps but only including 3 in the base game. And I think I would have preferred a simpler spawn region system instead of no spawn regions at all (although I wouldn't wanna go back to the system RE5 used as it just required too much memorization.)

As to the bolded... iirc you did know. All cephalos were the same "type" of enemy... if you learned which enemy that was in each level you could anticipate them. At least, I read that on a mercs guide somewhere. I didn't play a lot of RE5 mercs (took me a long time to warm up to RE5, I hated it at first) so idk if it's true.

Sectus

As to the bolded... iirc you did know. All cephalos were the same "type" of enemy... if you learned which enemy that was in each level you could anticipate them. At least, I read that on a mercs guide somewhere. I didn't play a lot of RE5 mercs (took me a long time to warm up to RE5, I hated it at first) so idk if it's true.

I don't think it was possible to learn. It is true that it is pre-defined which enemies can become cephalos (if I recall, there were 2 types. the ones which always mutated unless it was technically impossible (like you broke their neck or the ceiling above them was low), or those who had a chance of mutating if you hit them in the head). But the majority of majini also has a random appearance and the order of majini spawns varies (if I recall, enemies spawn in batches of around 20, and the order of enemies within the batches is random).

If someone actually managed to memorize which enemies would mutate, I'll be extremely impressed. I'll also be even more terrified by high level RE5 play as that's something I would never even consider doing.

Jinjo

Cool, got ranked 792th, even though I just started playing mercs this weekend. Thought I was too late, only got a 110-combo and I didn't even get the hidden boss out . (didn't know how yet lol)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bit of CV:X HD earlier. Fun game! The lack of save points is really...different. Not sure whether I like it or not, but when I finally came across a save room it felt like a massive weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Also fuck dogs.

Bladenic

I played a bit of CV:X HD earlier. Fun game! The lack of save points is really...different. Not sure whether I like it or not, but when I finally came across a save room it felt like a massive weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Also fuck dogs.

That's the only RE game I haven't played yet, along with Revelations. Working on beating 3 currently, then to finish 0, then I'm hoping there will be a sale or something for CVX HD at some point. Honestly though, I'm kind of dreading it considering the terrible things I've heard about it.

Afrocious

It was a 24-hour event. I was fully intending to participate, but between a music festival on Saturday and running some pre-hurricane chores on Sunday I couldn't get any RE6 time in.

I have to yell at old people. After work, I sometimes don't feel like playing videogames.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's the only RE game I haven't played yet, along with Revelations. Working on beating 3 currently, then to finish 0, then I'm hoping there will be a sale or something for CVX HD at some point. Honestly though, I'm kind of dreading it considering the terrible things I've heard about it.

I'm still early so I can't really say much other than it feels like a classic RE game. I really like the fact that the camera isn't static though, and having it move around with you in the level actually really gives it enough "newness" for me to feel like it's not as dated as RE1-3.

I still haven't played RE0 either but I want to get to it at some point, even though I hear it's pretty bad.

Bladenic

I'm still early so I can't really say much other than it feels like a classic RE game. I really like the fact that the camera isn't static though, and having it move around with you in the level actually really gives it enough "newness" for me to feel like it's not as dated as RE1-3.

I still haven't played RE0 either but I want to get to it at some point, even though I hear it's pretty bad.

I got bored after the first segment and quit, this was like a year ago. But since I'm playing and beating all the games in the series that I haven't, I'm going to go back and trudge through it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I got bored after the first segment and quit, this was like a year ago. But since I'm playing and beating all the games in the series that I haven't, I'm going to go back and trudge through it.

Haha yeah, I can see how you'd get bored after the first section. Personally I found RE3 boring as hell, so I watched a Let's Play of it because I couldn't bring myself to play past the clock tower section. Didn't really enjoy that game as much as REmake/RE2, even though I love Jill. So far CV:X seems fine though.

Bladenic

Haha yeah, I can see how you'd get bored after the first section. Personally I found RE3 boring as hell, so I watched a Let's Play of it because I couldn't bring myself to play past the clock tower section. Didn't really enjoy that game as much as REmake/RE2, even though I love Jill. So far CV:X seems fine though.

I meant 0 actually haha, I haven't played much of 3, just at the RPD station. Started Infamous 2 and well.... poor RE3.

Curufinwe

I bought Sherry's costume on RE.net but it isn't showing up on the character select screen in Mercs.

Manually going into Options -> Auto Data Upload made it show up.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Grrr my power company said they might turn off power to parts of Manhattan. If I can't sit out this storm by playing RE I'm going to be mighty annoyed.

Should have bought a 3DS and Revelations...

Neiteio

Grrr my power company said they might turn off power to parts of Manhattan. If I can't sit out this storm by playing RE I'm going to be mighty annoyed.

Should have bought a 3DS and Revelations...
You would not regret that purchase, good sir. Revelations is an amazing game and the 3DS is probably one of my favorite gaming systems ever. :) (PC and PS3 are tied for second)

In fact, Revelations is the reason I haven't been in this thread lately. I've been replaying Raid... Tempted to start another campaign. Playing on my new 3DS XL -- so gorgeous. But I'll be back for RE6 when the new Mercs maps drop (hopefully) tomorrow.

Top Bottom