• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Damn, it is going to take forever getting enough Skill Points to get the Mad Skillz achievement. Have run through the whole game on both Amateur and Normal and I am still south of 600k (while also playing Chris 5 several times over).

And screw that glitch or whatever it is that reverts your difficulty to the last one you played on if you join someone else's game. Now I have to run through Leon 1 and 2 on Pro again while my brother doesn't.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Jake chapter 2.. the fuck is this shit.. The stealth part did feel like a throwback to some PS1 days.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jake chapter 2.. the fuck is this shit.. The stealth part did feel like a throwback to some PS1 days.
The worst chapter in the whole game. At this point, I just wanted to turn the game off and never start my PS3 again.

madkiller

Damn, it is going to take forever getting enough Skill Points to get the Mad Skillz achievement. Have run through the whole game on both Amateur and Normal and I am still south of 600k (while also playing Chris 5 several times over).

I think you'll earn more skill points if you play mercenaries.

Riposte

If you want the strategy spoilered for you, here is how to make it a hundred times more bearable:

Stealth melee the bugs from behind and 'tank won't detect you. It should be easy to clear out all of the areas. You should get detected once at the part where a wall of ice separates you from him because there are chests on his side.

I received this official Xbox email advertising RE6 this afternoon. They know what they're doing, right? This was meant to go viral or something. There's no other explanation.

That logo did NOT need unidentified dripping white liquid.

Astral

If you want the strategy spoilered for you, here is how to make it a hundred times more bearable:

Stealth melee the bugs from behind and 'tank won't detect you. It should be easy to clear out all of the areas. You should get detected once at the part where a wall of ice separates you from him because there are chests on his side.

I wouldn't call that much of a strategy really. It's pretty much what you have to do. You can also use that charging punch attack with Jake since it homes in on them.

Curufinwe

I often miss pretty obvious stuff in games, but I thought they really made it clear what you should do for this part. So I didn't mind it all, but I hated the lack of visibility in the start of the level.

Riposte

I wouldn't call that much of a strategy really. It's pretty much what you have to do. You can also use that charging punch attack with Jake since it homes in on them.

In my first playthrough, I shot them and retreated or ran for it. Was a pretty interesting way to do it, but certainly not the proper method in some spots. The maze confuses me lol. It clearly has a look out spot for your co-op partner to direct you (with voice chat, I guess), but the way I brought up pretty much negates that (also I didn't play with any voice chat).

Btw, I agree with the assessment Jake 2 is the worst chapter. The whiteout part isn't well done (though I clearly see how it could have worked, just poor execution), the stealth part can go real bad if you miss the obvious answer, and it has the worst vehicle section in the game (and this game would have been fine with none). Jake 3-5 is all good stuff though.

Ninjimbo

Jake 2 didn't annoy me. I heard it gets a lot of hate, but I thought it was pretty cool. It was one of the few areas where the game felt tense and filled with dread.
I liked how the blizzard constantly obscured my view. It made me all the more nervous about searching for the samples.

The enemies following you is the only problem since they really shouldn't be there or know where you are. Defeating them doesn't really have a purpose either since they're infinite.

The start of Jake 2 is fucking awful on so many levels. Definetly the worst part of the game. Thankfulky his chapter gets better after that shit part.

kogasu

Yeah yeah, I felt stupid that I didn't find out you could do that until after I had finished the chapter. I swear I got detected the first time trying to do that. So I never tried it again.

Can someone explain to me how you generate points on RE.net? Is it through playing the game, through something you do on RE.net itself, or something else entirely?

Replicant

Can someone explain to me how you generate points on RE.net? Is it through playing the game, through something you do on RE.net itself, or something else entirely?

I haven't got much of a point lately despite having been blazing through Leon, Chris, Jake, and Ada's campaign on Professional. Is something borked over there? Usually I'll net points quickly just playing from chapters to chapters.

Curufinwe

Is there any way to try and force RE.net to update your progress in the Story mode? It's still stuck showing me only having completed 11 chapters.

Hey, I found the Synchronize button and I'm the only one in the queue.

Daigoro

Item management and lack of discarding weapons is something I definitely agree with. It's especially mind boggling considering that playing splitscreen uses a similar system as RE5 (items aren't duplicated and you can trade items with your partner).

holy shit, really? i had no idea. that is odd as hell.

So I ranked 208 in the mercs event.

Not bad for my first 150 solo run hahahah

Cool, got ranked 792th, even though I just started playing mercs this weekend. Thought I was too late, only got a 110-combo and I didn't even get the hidden boss out . (didn't know how yet lol)

damn, i wish i was able to participate. would've been nice getting a top 500 score just for the hell of it.

this latest event is going to be a drag. having to go through the first half of Leon 1 is going to be boring as fuck. i hate not being able to run and use all of the moves available for that first part...

Just beat my previous best score by about 1000 points with Samurai Chris. Funny thing is I was just trying to survive so I could keep my skill points so I could get the mad skillz trophy to finally get my platinum trophy. In all the panic I even forgot he had the rocket launcher lol.

Dreamer RD

I personally do find going for high scores to be pretty fun, though, even though I'm not as hardcore as you about it.
I enjoyed playing with you the other night, we got a pretty good UC score

Thanks man. Yeah good game it was.

I think RE5 had the most annoying thing (considering the time between combo kills were stricter and that the game was slower paced in general): cephalos. I despise them. They've destroyed more combos for me in RE5 than anything in RE6. The fact you had no idea if majini were gonna mutate or not was extremely frustrating.

Actually, it's very predictable and avoidable.
Here is what I know about scripted and random so far:

Public Assembly - NO scripted Cephalos at all. All are random and can be avoided by not doing headshots and head-aiming melees. Especially female majinis are pain in the ass, coz they have 85% cephalo mutation rate if head is destroyed.

The Mines - this can be tricky sometimes. About 3-4 random Cephalos can spawn in "bright" area from Knife majinis + around 2 scripted cephalos are Shovel and Pickaxe majini. In caves there are 2 famous Molotov majinis that have critical head explosion no matter how you kill them. 3 Bottle majinis are scripted cephalos and 2 Shovel majinis are also scripted cephalos.

Village - hardest map to figure out scripted shit, because wetlands dudes look the same, only weapon can be a hint. But I know for sure there are 2 bare handed majinisthat spawn in top area - scropted cephalos + 2 spear scripted cephalos. And after 50-60 combo, scripted bow majinis begin to appear.

Ancient Ruins - about 3 bare handed majinis are Duvalias (near 30sec timer and water) and 1 duvalia in large area with 90sec timer and 2 vases with red + green herb. Scripted Cephalos are mostly spear guys spawning from large passageway, where 2 majinis uses light mirrors with beams in story mode.

Experimental Facility - easiest map to predict. 2 scripted Duvalias in top area. One is at the start - guy in black armored vest and cap on the head. The other is majini in gas mask and brown outfit. There is also one RAndom duvalia at the start - majini in black kneepads and gas mask. Mutates if head is hurt (50%).
Bottom area is all about random, but there cant be more that 2 duvalias.

Missile Area - random Cephalo hell. Seriously, I know little about this map. The only thing I remember is - some scripted criticals in 90sec area and red barrel.

Ship Deck - my fav and one of the easiest to predict. There are very few random cephalos (mostly it's dynamite majinis that spawn from container near 90sec timer).
Scripted are:
Most red wrench majinis that spawn in central (grenade launcher) area.
Spiked club majinis (same spawn location as red wrench)
And 3 bottle majinis that spawn in "door area" (near 2 rockets)
Chicken area is absolutely safe to kill, although there can be 1 scripted Pipe majini that spawns from 90sec area container.

Prison - all Machete (Knife) majinis that spawn in cells area are scripted Cephalos. In Duo it's very easy to recognize, in Solo just be prepared to kill cephalo when you shoot such enemies.

Also, if somebody not knows how to melee Cephalos (it became neccessary for high scores and world records) - Wesker stars is the best option. 1 magnum shot to body + 2 handgun shots to the legs > dash. Or 1 magnum shot + Knee Cannon from distance.

Sectus

Actually, it's very predictable and avoidable.
Here is what I know about scripted and random so far:

Public Assembly - NO scripted Cephalos at all. All are random and can be avoided by not doing headshots and head-aiming melees. Especially female majinis are pain in the ass, coz they have 85% cephalo mutation rate if head is destroyed.

The Mines - this can be tricky sometimes. About 3-4 random Cephalos can spawn in "bright" area from Knife majinis + around 2 scripted cephalos are Shovel and Pickaxe majini. In caves there are 2 famous Molotov majinis that have critical head explosion no matter how you kill them. 3 Bottle majinis are scripted cephalos and 2 Shovel majinis are also scripted cephalos.

Village - hardest map to figure out scripted shit, because wetlands dudes look the same, only weapon can be a hint. But I know for sure there are 2 bare handed majinisthat spawn in top area - scropted cephalos + 2 spear scripted cephalos. And after 50-60 combo, scripted bow majinis begin to appear.

Ancient Ruins - about 3 bare handed majinis are Duvalias (near 30sec timer and water) and 1 duvalia in large area with 90sec timer and 2 vases with red + green herb. Scripted Cephalos are mostly spear guys spawning from large passageway, where 2 majinis uses light mirrors with beams in story mode.

Experimental Facility - easiest map to predict. 2 scripted Duvalias in top area. One is at the start - guy in black armored vest and cap on the head. The other is majini in gas mask and brown outfit. There is also one RAndom duvalia at the start - majini in black kneepads and gas mask. Mutates if head is hurt (50%).
Bottom area is all about random, but there cant be more that 2 duvalias.

Missile Area - random Cephalo hell. Seriously, I know little about this map. The only thing I remember is - some scripted criticals in 90sec area and red barrel.

Ship Deck - my fav and one of the easiest to predict. There are very few random cephalos (mostly it's dynamite majinis that spawn from container near 90sec timer).
Scripted are:
Most red wrench majinis that spawn in central (grenade launcher) area.
Spiked club majinis (same spawn location as red wrench)
And 3 bottle majinis that spawn in "door area" (near 2 rockets)
Chicken area is absolutely safe to kill, although there can be 1 scripted Pipe majini that spawns from 90sec area container.

Prison - all Machete (Knife) majinis that spawn in cells area are scripted Cephalos. In Duo it's very easy to recognize, in Solo just be prepared to kill cephalo when you shoot such enemies.

Also, if somebody not knows how to melee Cephalos (it became neccessary for high scores and world records) - Wesker stars is the best option. 1 magnum shot to body + 2 handgun shots to the legs > dash. Or 1 magnum shot + Knee Cannon from distance.

I'm impressed you remember all of this, but this memorization could have been avoided if they just added some kind of visual indication. I like the system they have in RE6 where you can very easily see if a zombie can turn into a bloodshot. They should have done something similar for RE5 cephalos.

I'm curious, did you compile all this info from observations and from other players? I had created a tool which compiles info about every enemy from mercenaries stages into text files. I wonder if that made it into the mercenaries scene at any point.

Dreamer RD

I'm impressed you remember all of this, but this memorization could have been avoided if they just added some kind of visual indication. I like the system they have in RE6 where you can very easily see if a zombie can turn into a bloodshot. They should have done something similar for RE5 cephalos.

I'm curious, did you compile all this info from observations and from other players? I had created a tool which compiles info about every enemy from mercenaries stages into text files. I wonder if that made it into the mercenaries scene at any point.

All my experience. The only thing I remember you did on biomercs forum is GL contest on Ship Deck. There was also info from their admin but it really sucks.
You know Berserker Kev? Well-known faq writer on gamefaqs. He was my first partner on X360 and basically he learned almost everything from me (he mentioned me later in his faq).

Yeah it's pretty cool how you can recognize Bloodshots in RE6. Not a big difference from weapon hints in RE5 though. In RE6 it's just obvious, who is going to mutate. J'avo is a bit different. Still havent played other maps with them seriously. So much mutations they have.
Steel Beast is such a garbage map lol. Way too huge and not very clever spawns, especially those paratroopers from above.

Also, you said there are 10 maps in total? Damn, and capcom only made 3(6) available. That's awkward. In RE5 all maps were available from the start. I hope Ogroman will not be secret boss %)

Sectus

All my experience. The only thing I remember you did on biomercs forum is GL contest on Ship Deck. There was also info from their admin but it really sucks.
You know Berserker Kev? Well-known faq writer on gamefaqs. He was my first partner on X360 and basically he learned almost everything from me (he mentioned me later in his faq).

Yeah it's pretty cool how you can recognize Bloodshots in RE6. Not a big difference from weapon hints in RE5 though. In RE6 it's just obvious, who is going to mutate. J'avo is a bit different. Still havent played other maps with them seriously. So much mutations they have.
Steel Beast is such a garbage map lol. Way too huge and not very clever spawns, especially those paratroopers from above.

Also, you said there are 10 maps in total? Damn, and capcom only made 3(6) available. That's awkward. In RE5 all maps were available from the start. I hope Ogroman will not be secret boss %)
I never posted about it on biomercs forum (I wasn't active there for long), but I imagined some people might have stumbled upon it from mod forums. In case some people will find it interesting, I just posted data parsed from the tool here: http://www.biohazardmercenaries.com/forums/index.php?topic=9350.msg142561

And yeah, there's 10 maps in total. I suspect all of them were done by launch considering there's stuff like spawn positions and texture lists for the additional 4 DLC maps on the disc.

GeekyDad

Grrr my power company said they might turn off power to parts of Manhattan. If I can't sit out this storm by playing RE I'm going to be mighty annoyed.

Should have bought a 3DS and Revelations...

You should have bought Revelations in spite of the storm. It's a really good RE title.

100 yen? That is cheap as hell.

I fully expect the USD/CAD price to be $1 each.

Now, that I can live with. Was not expecting it to be so cheap.

Globox_82

Banned
Finished Leon and Chris campaign. I gave Jake campaign 8.5.

Both Leon and Chris campaign are in that range as well, between 8 and 8.5

Pierce is more interesting and likeable character (especially after the ending) then anything you are going to find in Gears games, I am sure of that. It feels like everyone was ready to hate it.

Game is nothing spectacular but it is not pure shit like many scores suggest.

That said how is Ada campaign?
To be honest I feel like I had my RE6 fix and would rather move to the next game .

GeekyDad

...how is Ada campaign? To be honest I feel like I had my RE6 fix and would rather move to the next game .

Her second chapter is my favorite of any chapter in the entire game. That being said, the rest of her shit is pretty hit & miss. Chapter 5 is a mostly a dog with fleas.

Sectus

Now, that I can live with. Was not expecting it to be so cheap.
Hopefully the price will be the same in other regions too. I can remember they specifically made versus mode for RE5 very cheap in Japan.

That said how is Ada campaign? To be honest I feel like I had my RE6 fix and would rather move to the next game .
It's a shorter campaign where the first 2 chapters has a bigger focus on puzzles. I think I'd rank it around the same level as Chris campaign. I had fun with it, but I like Leon and Jake campaigns much better. It feels like it's there for filling out the blanks in the story.

Globox_82

Banned
Hopefully the price will be the same in other regions too. I can remember they specifically made versus mode for RE5 very cheap in Japan.

It's a shorter campaign where the first 2 chapters has a bigger focus on puzzles. I think I'd rank it around the same level as Chris campaign. I had fun with it, but I like Leon and Jake campaigns much better. It feels like it's there for filling out the blanks in the story.

How much shorter? other campaigns took me on average 5 hr and 10-15 min

mernst23

Finally got around to playing more of the game yesterday after a 2 week hiatus. Beat Leon Chapter 1 and 2 on Professional. The chapters just seemed like they took forever to finish. Good amount of BS deaths/health drops from enemies moving while cutscenes were playing (died twice outside the cathedral) because of this. Definitely rage inducing.

I'm amazed at the fact that Helena played the "i'm not going to tell you until we get there game" with Leon for two god damned chapters. Leon is a really shitty bodyguard/agent and it makes the entire first two chapters a laughable joke although the city set pieces were a really cool throwback to Raccoon City. I wish more of the game was like that portion.

Finally got around to playing more of the game yesterday after a 2 week hiatus. Beat Leon Chapter 1 and 2 on Professional. The chapters just seemed like they took forever to finish. Good amount of BS deaths/health drops from enemies moving while cutscenes were playing (died twice outside the cathedral) because of this. Definitely rage inducing.

I'm amazed at the fact that Helena played the "i'm not going to tell you until we get there game" with Leon for two god damned chapters. Leon is a really shitty bodyguard/agent and it makes the entire first two chapters a laughable joke although the city set pieces were a really cool throwback to Raccoon City. I wish more of the game was like that portion.

Yea the setting of the first two chapters of Leon and the whole feel of them was great, too bad they were full of bullshit moments and the rest of the game didn't have such a cool setting.

Nori Chan

Ranked 227 in the world in Rail Yard Duo. Using Ada's Costume 2 I took the high grounds and my partner was Sherry Costume 2 and was usually on the bottom floor. So many close calls and I got pretty lucky with some sniper headshots from the top to bottom to extend the combo. First 150 on rail yard

Total score was 1,147,899. No bosses and one bonus crystal.

Top Bottom