• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hey man I'm not gonna complain about $1 maps. Wish other companies would release their pre-order bonuses for $1 apiece. My main issue is I only have 200 MS points on my account and I don't feel like adding $5 or more just to get an extra $1 map.

GeekyDad

Hey man I'm not gonna complain about $1 maps. Wish other companies would release their pre-order bonuses for $1 apiece. My main issue is I only have 200 MS points on my account and I don't feel like adding $5 or more just to get an extra $1 map.

Don't get me wrong, the price didn't bother me either, and I bought them all up the moment they showed up on PSN. Honestly, I was expecting $9-15 DLC for the maps. A buck a piece was a relief. Costumes, I don't really care too much about. With SSFIV, I bought them because, well, there's little else to look at beside your characters and the small stages you're playing in. If the RE6 Mercs costumes come with interesting loadouts, maybe I'll bite if the price is right. But I don't expect them to be cheap. In any case, comparing the price of these maps to what I've paid in the past for maps in CoD, the Mercs maps are truly a bargain. But I'm fully aware that if Capcom felt they had the "hand" to do what Activision does with CoD, they would.

Curufinwe

If you're in America you could get 100 MS Points for free pretty quickly thru Bing Rewards.

http://www.bing.com/rewards/redeem/000100000001

I never leave enough MS Points on my account for a person who might hack my Xbox Live gamertag to buy anything with. So when I bought Mark of the Ninja last month and had 200 MS Points left, I also bought a costume pack in Persona 4 Arena just to get my balance down to 40. Which is a shame, because I could have bought the two Mercs maps I don't have with those 200 Points.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If you're in America you could get 100 MS Points for free pretty quickly thru Bing Rewards.

http://www.bing.com/rewards/redeem/000100000001

I never leave enough MS Points on my account for a person who might hack my Xbox Live gamertag to buy anything with. So when I bought Mark of the Ninja last month and had 200 MS Points left, I also bought a costume pack in Persona 4 Arena just to get my balance down to 40. Which is a shame, because I could have bought the two Mercs maps I don't have with those 200 Points.

Hmm I'm at 39 points, guess it'll take me a few days of Bing searches to get 125 points. Thanks, this will come in handy!

Nori Chan

Maybe if we beat no hope difficulty then we can unlock costumes for campaign....maybe

Also was it ever revealed what the winner of urban chaos event got? The fantastic reward?

Bittercup

[...]Anyway, your vid proves that cutscenes are real-time? Thought they are pre-rendered movies (like in RE4 on PS2), and that's why there was no other outfits for characters. Glad I was wrong.
Indeed. There are only 2 pre-rendered movies in RE6
the missile going of and turning the city into zombies and the one where the plane crashes
everything else is in real-time and I think many of the cutscenes are really impressive and good looking.

Z3M0G

Ok, so the $1 maps were pre-order bonus... that's not so bad. I thought these things were on the disk.

I'll definitely download them.

mernst23

Put me in the "zero issue with snow level hill" camp. I was dodging snipers, sniping them back, and never slipped. Didn't even know you could till after I cleared it. Must be like the Dark Souls archers section where I clear it in two tries and go huh.. what's the issue here.. Jake 2 is decent fun.

I didn't have any issue with the snow level in terms of falling down but I fucking hated it. Being blinded and being shot at from afar is such bullshit. Jake's was the first campaign I started and Jake chapter 2 was already a cluster because I wasn't used to the controls, but then essentially blinding me to boot? I think any hope i had for the game left during that shitty part of Jake's campaign.

Sectus

Lmao. I'm surprised Capcom didn't added bonus costumes in story mode after some challenge is cleared. Anyway, your vid proves that cutscenes are real-time? Thought they are pre-rendered movies (like in RE4 on PS2), and that's why there was no other outfits for characters. Glad I was wrong.

All but 2 cutscenes are real time.
Plane crashlanding in Leon chapter 4, and the rocket detonating in the city in Leon chapter 5 are the only pre-rendered cutscenes.

I'm not sure why Capcom didn't add support for other outfits in story mode. It could be technical reasons and they didn't wanna go through the extra trouble to get it working.

Maybe if we beat no hope difficulty then we can unlock costumes for campaign....maybe

Also was it ever revealed what the winner of urban chaos event got? The fantastic reward?

I think his only reward was 30k RE points. All the rewards for the events so far are kinda rubbish.

Sectus

Cool thanks. No love for Rail Yard?

I think they're good in different ways.

Rail Yard - Harder than high seas, but easier than steel beast. It's an interesting challenge as you need to switch area to fight in halfway through.

High Seas - The easiest j'avo map. I think it's nice to have as it's a good first step for doing a 150 combo with secret boss against j'avo.

Catacombs - I personally don't like this as much. It is a good map, but it doesn't play very differently from other zombie maps, and it's dark. Really dark.

I think I'd personally go with the 2 j'avo maps, but it really depends on what you prefer playing. In the long run, I definitely recommend just getting them all.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I do eventually plan to get all three but until I can get that elusive 100 MSP through the Bing rewards program that Curufinwe linked I want to figure out which maps I should get first. I'll definitely get High Seas then and decide between the other two.

Also, what skills do people here run for Mercs?

Edit: Good Mercs video on Steel Beast that shows a good strategy for a 150 combo. At around the 8 minute mark one guy posts up at the bottom level and one guy in the middle level, and when they hit the 130 combo the guy on the middle level rushes up and picks off the J'avo that are parachuting in. I need to try this strategy next time I play the game (i.e., once we get power back in lower Manhattan).

Edit 2: Oh snap! According to this, taunting in Mercs refills your stamina bar quickly. Useful! (The user gives a shoutout to Sectus, where he originally saw this)

Sectus

Yeah I do eventually plan to get all three but until I can get that elusive 100 MSP through the Bing rewards program that Curufinwe linked I want to figure out which maps I should get first. I'll definitely get High Seas then and decide between the other two.

Also, what skills do people here run for Mercs?

Edit: Good Mercs video on Steel Beast that shows a good strategy for a 150 combo. At around the 8 minute mark one guy posts up at the bottom level and one guy in the middle level, and when they hit the 130 combo the guy on the middle level rushes up and picks off the J'avo that are parachuting in. I need to try this strategy next time I play the game (i.e., once we get power back in lower Manhattan).

Edit 2: Oh snap! According to this, taunting in Mercs refills your stamina bar quickly. Useful! (The user gives a shoutout to Sectus, where he originally saw this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJCYlgV4VA - I've also got a video of steel beast duo getting a 150 combo (there's 2 runs in the video, the first one is a failed run). This route also works in singleplayer as my friend was able to get it in solo.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My love hate with this game continues. Jake 3 is so frustrating.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Everyone is going to have a different list, but out of the new RE titles my personal list is:

RE4 > RE6 = Revelations > RE5

Sectus

I just got the guide (bradygames one, not sure if there's different ones) for RE6. It's kinda hilariously bad. It has tips like avoiding fighting the very first zombies you fight in Leon campaign because it's too risky, constant mentions "press action button to open doors" and there's 4 pages dedicated to the prelude.

My favourite quote from the guide is from the end of Jake chapter 4:
"Jake and Sherry are captured again--this time by none other than Simmons. The evil genius has sinister plans for the biologically superior heroes."

There's one interesting note for the end of Leon campaign. It recommends that for replays that the player equips the "Rocket Launcher Infinite ammo" skill which supposedly automatically places the rocket launcher into the player's inventory. I guess that was available in the build the guide author used, same thing as the No Hope difficulty which is mentioned in the guide. I took a look at the game's text files, and there's no mentions of any infinite rocket launcher skill, so it must have been removed from the game entirely.

There's some useful stuff in the guide, like detailed info about guns and the damage they deal, and a list of all the attacks you can do while playing as monsters.

But the guide is really bad compared to the RE5 one. No super detailed info about all enemies. No interview with developers at the end and look at game prototype. No detailed technical information about mercenaries (RE5 guide was useful regarding modding as it had detailed information about spawn regions).

I can't really recommend the guide as 99% of it is really useless.

Replicant

Had no problem with this whatsoever, by chance of course.

It was my very first playtrough of that section. Reading this 2 days ago didn't even know it is *that* ridge ahead of me when I played it yesterday.

Instead of going up the ridge and forcing advance, I somehow decided to stay at the very start of the ridge (where the ladders are) and fought waves of enemies (including snipers) until I fought all of them (4-5 waves I think, with 2 birds if I recall well). Once they stopped to come I start going up the ridge and surprise - there was only one J'avo there, one on the snowmobile (other was waiting all the way up).

All those "ice-ridge" J'avo actually came down to ladders-section.

No hussle at all.

That'd be a waste of ammo (unless you have item drop equipped), health items, and time. You are better off just running fast on the left hand side of the ridge, only stopping to quickshot the snipers head on (thus sending them falling down the ridge) before you run again and immediately swerve to right hand area the minute snow mobile J'avo heading towards your path on the left hand ridge. It's riskier but the frustration level is lower than trying to fight all of them and getting C-D rank.

My frustration was actually when I tried to fight them because the snipers always manage to snipe you while you fight the other enemies. Especially ridiculous on Professional.

Sectus

I always use Limit Breaker

Limit breaker is actually a rather weak skill. It gives +50 points for each kill while combo is over 50. This means with an ideal run, the extra score is 5000 points. Which is not a lot.

In comparison, time bonus+ gives you +10 seconds for each time bonus, which is usually 1 minute of time (it varies on the stage, sometimes it's 50 seconds, other times it's more than 1 minute). One minute of extra time at the end of a run is worth 12,000, which is much better than limit breaker.

I usually use power counter or time bonus+ myself. Those seems to be the best options for high scores.

Fry

So... is this really a bad game like painted around the internet, or just a bad Resident Evil?

Huge, huge RE fan but I'm not sure what to do. Halo 4 or RE 6.

So... is this really a bad game like painted around the internet, or just a bad Resident Evil?

Rent or try out RE6, but Halo 4 is going to have longer staying power (Spartan Ops for four-player co-op, Forge, updated playlists, more added maps and modes on top of the existing larger competitive multi), a bigger community, and will likely represent a more widely-loved experience that more likely ensures you will be happier with paying ~$60 for it. RE6 is very divided among hardcore fans, with, as I've been told by a couple local store managers, a rather high rate of return and trade-in, even at just a couple months out of release. RE6 will be cheaper to pick up later faster than Halo 4, at any rate.

Gbraga

It's not scary, it doesn't even try to be. If you're looking for this kind of game, then yeah you'll probably find RE6 to be garbage.

However, what it does feature is one of the best (if not the best) combat in TPS games, with A LOT of content and replayability, if you're into Vanquish, you'll most likely like it when the combat clicks with you.

Curufinwe

Capcom are releasing a patch that will let us pull the camera back in December so you may as well wait till then to play RE 6.

Neff

It's the same pulpy mish-mash of horror and action movie spoofs it's always been, wrapped around a heavily reworked version of RE4/RE5's TPS gameplay, with an emphasis on fighting game techniques such as counters, dodges, tech rolls, ground combat etc. Cover is more relevant now, too. It's challenging, and initially difficult to manage the wealth of techniques, but you get out what you put in. It's a little rough around the edges at times, but for the most part the game is extremely solid and rewarding, and for the RE fan it's a rampaging juggernaut of fanservice and references.

I'd definitely rank it alongside the greats in the series.

Fry

Humm, very interesting answers. Thanks guys.

I can't see myself ignoring a Resident Evil title. I'll end up buying it eventually.

Or ask for christmas. :p

Finished Jake on Pro as Sherry. The four player battle in chapter 4 was epic. I had no ammo so I had to run around
dumping the canisters
and using what little bullets I had on blowing them up. The people I joined were getting their ass kicked and it actually saved my life. By the end I had nothing to shoot with,
all canisters were used
. I found this thing all four characters had to push so we did so, I climbed up and found a stash of remote bombs. I charged at
the ustanak
, slid passed him and as I did slapped the remote on the floor, the pulled the trigger at the end of my slide to take him down. AWESOME.

Oh and the
chainsaw dude
with agent hunt on, so intense. But the best was agent hunt chapter 5 with the
rotating elevators and like 3 of those regenerator
like dudes chasing me everywhere, two controlled by other players. The wait for some of those elevators to come down was nerve wrecking.

How do people not like this??!?!?!? This game is so amazing.

Finished the whole game on Pro earlier today and it was a million times easier than RE 5 was. Had like 6 First Aid sprays left (as Helena) at the end and beat that end boss very quickly (much quicker than the first time when I had no idea what to do). Playing on Pro really shows you the depth of some of the controls (that are poorly explained) but also highlights some rather bad design choices (enemies moving during cutscenes when you can't).

Only have the Mad Skillz achievement left (still have like 200k to unlock everything despite having completed the game 3 times). I would have to go back to 5 to be sure but I think I prefer it to 6, it felt like a better co-op game for some reason. 6 probably has higher highs but also lower lows while 5 is a bit more consistent (that is probably a product of being half as long a game).

Completed the campaigns finally ....

What the fuck have Capcom done ? This game is a mess, it plays like some Korean free 2 play crap. Are they getting their ideas from Paul Anderson now ? Eurgh ....

GeekyDad

Completed the campaigns finally ....

What the fuck have Capcom done ? This game is a mess, it plays like some Korean free 2 play crap. Are they getting their ideas from Paul Anderson now ? Eurgh ....

What specifically? I game a lot on my iPhone, and there are a lot of Korean-made games on the App Store. But I can't think of a single one that RE6 reminds me of.

Dreamer RD

1397k on Mining the Depths (duo)

Chris pov - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llEmej6usBA
Carla pov - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g33ss_vY_Vs

Standard zombies always die from Chris counterattack here. Bsaa and Firefighters require more damage to die. Freezing Strelats at the end seems like a good idea. Although it can be dangerous if there are other enemies around.

About Rail Yard - there is no need to trigger Ubistvo and delay it for good score. Almost always there will be Javo that petrifies into cocoon, then Strelats will hatch from it. And delaying it's death is similar to Ubistvo, but much easier obviously (no instant death attacks at all)

Sectus

About Rail Yard - there is no need to trigger Ubistvo and delay it for good score. Almost always there will be Javo that petrifies into cocoon, then Strelats will hatch from it. And delaying it's death is similar to Ubistvo, but much easier obviously (no instant death attacks at all)

Are you sure you'd get the same bonus as from the secret boss by killing one of those instead?

Dreamer RD

Are you sure you'd get the same bonus as from the secret boss by killing one of those instead?

Yeah. Watched some japanese player 1341k solo run. He killed almost all with coup de grace, havent triggered Ubistvo and near 130-140 combo Strelats appeared, then he killed it at 149.
Also, there is a vid on Catacombs where Lepotitsa is delayed until 149 combo and they got about the same score like we did with Strelats 149 kill.

Our 1450k run - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgeisLCRe0
Japanese 1441k run - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io_CDDfKst0
Rail Yard 1341k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdurvHq3W_Q

Top Bottom