• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dyno

I've had four lengthy co-op sessions with a friend. We got to Chapter 4 with Chris and have both agreed that the game is not worth the time to play. I'm trading it in today.

Capcom built levels that look like typical third person shooter levels and then expect you to navigate through them with their crappy controls. Pressing X every time you want to jump on a small box, jump off the box, climb a later, or make a standard leap is terrible. Your camera is held hostage because it has to be properly aligned to get your X prompt. Just moving around a map is a QTE laden nightmare.

There is no feeling of agency or urgency in this game. The characters are meaningless, the weapons are meaningless, the progress you make feels meaningless. In previous RE games I became attached to my weapons and their mods, my equipment and my supplies. In RE6 it's all garbage. The menus are lousy, the inventory is crap, and none of it is worth going into when a super-overpowered kick or punch is just a button away. None of the fights feel natural or dangerous. They feel mostly silly and unrealistic.

So I'm out of RE and now there isn't a Capcom game that I play anymore. They were a symbol of quality growing up but now they do nothing I'm interested in.

News Bot

Banned
I finished all of RE6 in Japanese a few days ago. I have no idea why Capcom was restrictive with accessing the Japanese text in either version. For PS3, the Japanese text is omitted from non-Japanese versions of the game (annoying because I played the NA PS3 version). On the 360 version, the disc is region free, but Japanese text only appears on a Japanese system. Not only that, but RE6 doesn't have a Japanese dub like Revelations and Operation Raccoon City. Weird!

HUGE thumbs down on the localization. I do like some of the actual English lines and writing used in the game, but the accuracy of the lines relative to the Japanese subtitles leaves a lot to be desired. In Japanese, lots of thematic words like "trust" are frequently used to convey various relationships. It's not deep stuff or anything, but all this is lost in the localization.

Not only that, but the Japanese and English lines tend to be different in general. Sometimes I'll see words like "BSAA" or "[name]" in the Japanese text even though absolutely no one is mentioned in the vocals.

The files in the game are way more detailed in Japanese. It's as if the English text was space-constrained.

Not game-breaking by any means, but the wait for a good RE localization continues.

I get called a dick for saying this, hahaha.

The files definitely look space-constrained, which is absurd at this stage. But even the ones on RE.net look like the translator just couldn't be bothered finishing them. Rampant mistranslations too which mess up the plot quite a bit. And then there's just stupid stuff like Rani, the little girl from Degeneration, being mistranslated as "Ronny" when even Google Translate gets the name right.

Iresecia

Neo Member
Haha yeah the difficulty you are playing in co-op depends on the difficulty you are playing in single player. I was feeling generous on Sunday and wanted to just go online and play with people who are playing on Amateur to help them get through the story, but I was constantly getting swarmed and DESTROYED by J'avo. I literally had to flee in terror whenever enemies showed up and I just didn't understand why I was so terrible at the game all of a sudden.

Then I realized I was actually playing on Professional even though the dude I was playing with had set the game to Amateur. On the plus side I S-ranked a bunch of Jake missions on Pro. :)
I did the opposite for my friend who played on pro. I played on amateur while she played on pro so if she was taking too much damage she could flee and let me mop up some of the enemies. Now that I have plat I'm rarely on a different difficulty lol.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW51--CRc_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bGzgoVmWA

150 combo solo runs on Steel Beast and Catacombs. No boss delaying. Feels a bit silly to get a 150 combo on catacombs so late as that stage is extremely easy. It took about 10 tries to get it on steel beast (kept messing up with the napads) and one try with catacombs.

Rail yard is the only level I haven't gotten a 150 combo on solo now. Hopefully that won't be too hard to pull off. After that I suppose I'll experiment with strategies to keep secret boss alive in solo play.

Victrix

*beard*
Just stopping by to say fuck you to whoever designed the last boss fight in Chris' campaign. Played that with a friend on coop and it was absolutely fucking awful.

Come to think of it, the last boss in Leon's campaign was also horrid. Looking forward to Jakes!

Just stopping by to say fuck you to whoever designed the last boss fight in Chris' campaign. Played that with a friend on coop and it was absolutely fucking awful.

Come to think of it, the last boss in Leon's campaign was also horrid. Looking forward to Jakes!

huh, what was your problem with it?

Hey Sectus do you happen to have access to the loading screen images? I've been looking for a good rip or screencap of Sherry using the stun rod from the first loading screen in chapter 3 of Jake's campaign.

RE 4 & 5 feel so awkward after playing this,
though I think Rebecca is a better mercenaries character than all of 6's.

Popped in RE5 again the other night and still am SUPER impressed how consistant it is. I still love that game dearly. Probably moreso than RE4 in that I've replayed it soo many damn times and STILL have only played through RE4 only once.

Jake's has probably been my favorite, followed by Leon's (obviously once you figure it out)

Chris' was just ...yeah

Dreamer RD

Haha yeah the difficulty you are playing in co-op depends on the difficulty you are playing in single player. I was feeling generous on Sunday and wanted to just go online and play with people who are playing on Amateur to help them get through the story, but I was constantly getting swarmed and DESTROYED by J'avo. I literally had to flee in terror whenever enemies showed up and I just didn't understand why I was so terrible at the game all of a sudden.

Then I realized I was actually playing on Professional even though the dude I was playing with had set the game to Amateur. On the plus side I S-ranked a bunch of Jake missions on Pro. :)

Ah, another bug then. Thanks for telling this.
Guess I'l pass and just record solo. Ada is alone till December anyway.

Z3M0G

I know playing that solo I had a terrible issue with ammo... It took me several attempts to finish that boss.

kunonabi

Coop made the qte bullshit scripted parts unbearable, and the ammo problem was just as severe

Ammo isn't a huge problem with the boss in Chris's campaign since the knife does a ton of damage. It's almost as effective as it was against Tyrant in the REmake.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, another bug then. Thanks for telling this.
Guess I'l pass and just record solo. Ada is alone till December anyway.

Just tell your buddy to start a single player game on Professional, and then the two of you will both be playing on Professional.

Also my friend is officially addicted to Mercenaries. He's playing on PS3 so unfortunately I can't play with him, but he and I keep swapping strategies and stories. It's pretty interesting to see how addictive Mercs is even to people who aren't following the game online.

Sectus

Okay, after doing a ton of solo attempts at rail yard, I'm convinced that's the hardest j'avo map, at least in solo. Steel beast is tough, but the only big challenges there are the changes in where enemies spawn and the napads. The former is easy to get by once you get a good route, and the latter isn't a problem if you use the right character.

But rail yard just becomes plain mean in the long run. I just don't know how to effectively fight all those enemies and still get melees consistently. The switch from bottom to top floor at combo 80 is also annoying because of the rocket launcher j'avo... and that accursed ladder! I learned way too late that the ladder is not the way to go. It's slow to go up, you can get knocked down by a rocket while climbing it, and if you stay near it, it's way too easy to accidentally climb the ladder. Once I changed my route to go up the staircase instead, I actually did it first try. Although the end of the stage is still brutal.

Sectus

PS3 version of RE5 has a worse framerate than 360, but it's only really noticable in a few specific levels and it's fully playable anyway.

The game runs just fine.

I wouldn't really call it fine for a game about really precise aiming. The last time I played RE5 was on PC at locked 60 and playing RE5 GOLD PS3 with really jumpy mid 20s framerate (the biggest problem is that it is always jumping around, it is literally never stable) is pretty jarring. Looking at videos the 360 version is pretty much 100% deadlocked 30FPS too.

It is playable though.

You know something...as much as I like RE6, it doesn't have much replayability imo. Why is Capcom not releasing any DLC? I can't help but feel like it's going to have trouble staying afloat amongst all the other major releases.

Neff

I think RE6 ruined RE5 for me, I can play RE4 fine, but replaying RE5 just feels off.

I love RE5, even though it got a free pass for dumbing/slowing down RE4's gameplay thanks to the HD graphics and online co-op. Now that RE6 has both and a whole lot more besides, it's hard to enjoy 5 as much as I once did.

Even the mighty RE4 seems to have lost a certain something.

RE6 really is brilliant.

The thing I really noticed replaying 5 after 6 is the graphics.
RE5 graphics are alot better in some areas than RE6. though at the same time RE6 some of the character model are much more detailed. (LIN Chris vs Edonia Chris.)

and Chris' 5 face seems goofy in a few scenes/angles now, while I had loved the design before.
chris-redfield-20090205054322414+-+Copy.jpg

Sectus

It's funny looking at the files for MT Framework games this generation. While they do look better with each game, they do have the same thing they compromise for each game, which is the texture resolution. I'm pretty sure the pants for Dante in DMC4 is of a higher resolution than all the textures for Chris in RE6, and I'm not even kidding.

I hate sounding spoiled, but that's one reason why I'd love to see more focus on PC ports. PC ports can get the best of both worlds, but I doubt Capcom will go through the trouble to implement higher resolution textures just for the PC port. But at least PC version will still get a huge boost thanks to higher framerate, higher rendering resolution, better AA and potentially other things.

Fry

The thing I really noticed replaying 5 after 6 is the graphics.
RE5 graphics are alot better in some areas than RE6. though at the same time RE6 some of the character model are much more detailed. (LIN Chris vs Edonia Chris.)

and Chris' 5 face seems goofy in a few scenes/angles now, while I had loved the design before.

I wouldn't be surprised if RE5's graphics are, in general, better than RE6. That game is still amazing on the eyes.

I'm getting RE6 in a few days. I have a few questions; I'm sure any other huge fan of the franchise also had these concerns:

- I could always go back and finish the previous RE's countless times. I think they all have great replay value. What about 6? (the campaign only)
- Is the Mercenaries Mode still as awesome as ever?
- Do we get to see a lot of interactions between Leon and Chris?
- Is there a good variety of weapons?
- And the monsters in general? Are they creative, scary, and whatnot.

I wouldn't be surprised if RE5's graphics are, in general, better than RE6. That game is still amazing on the eyes.

I'm getting RE6 in a few days. I have a few questions; I'm sure any other huge fan of the franchise also had these concerns:

- I could always go back and finish the previous RE's countless times. I think they all have great replay value. What about 6? (the campaign only)

1. Kinda less than before(no alt costumes, files & figures from emblems now) but the different campaigns make up some for it.
2. More awesome(though less maps without dlc)
3. Per campaign no. 1 AR, 1 handgun, 1 sniper, 1 shotgun and either a Magnum or grenade launcher.
Overall and in Mercs though there are different guns for the other characters.
4. Some really unique, wide variety.

I do not agree with that statement at all.

+1

Super impressed with Capcom actually being able to finally get a decent-great framerate out of this engine on PS3

This game looks amazing ....seriously, it's visuals are pretty underrated and it's animation is fucking amazing in parts

Fry

1. Kinda less than before(no alt costumes, files & figures from emblems now) but the different campaigns make up some for it.
3. Per campaign no. 1 AR, 1 handgun, 1 sniper, 1 shotgun and either a Magnum or grenade launcher.

Thanks for the answers!

I just played the demo for the very first time. And I actually quite like it. o_O

I'll never be able to dislike a RE title.

Mit-

- Pretty much the same replay value when it comes to trophies (I replayed it a lot to complete everything in 5)
- Less maps without DLC? I believe you mean less maps even with DLC. 6 total. 3 available. 3 DLC. Probably more DLC in the future? Let's hope so (and let's hope those 3 pre-order DLC maps become free).
- Yeah not that much interaction.
- In campaign there's not much variety. Pretty much one of every type of weapon. And guns are not upgradable like before. You don't get a running tally of guns you collect and upgrade like before. You just find them in campaign and use them for the rest of the campaign as they are. If you don't find them you can't get them again unless the game automatically gives them to you in later chapters.
- Not too many new, creative types. Some of the new ones are seemingly pulled right out of other games. Still a big variety though. Not many that are scary (
The only ones that scared me were the armored rushing guys when they would slam through a wall right next to you
). Having regular old zombies in Leon's campaign that don't mutate or do anything crazy is pretty awesome/fun too.

After RE6 I gotta say I really don't miss zombies. If Capcom puts them into RE7 than I hope they are more of a limited enemy like Hunters, Lickers etc or just stick them into some chapters.

jorgeton

Yeah, playing RE5 again (PS+ ftw) after this feels off. I miss being able to slide, melee, dive etc. I got used to RE 5's slower paced combat after a bit, but replaying the first couple of chapters was rough. It's pretty impressive just how much capcpom pushed the battle system in 6.

joe2187

Banned
After RE6 I gotta say I really don't miss zombies. If Capcom puts them into RE7 than I hope they are more of a limited enemy like Hunters, Lickers etc or just stick them into some chapters.

I want more mutation variants, I like the mutations that occured to the J'avo, everything is so random and fun when playing against them.

Maybe a cattapiller j'avo, that splits in half to create two smaller cattepillar bodies that are very fast and try to ensnare you like a snake.

And Ada's chapter 4, we need more enemies and bosses like Ada's chapter 4

Mit-

I will forever miss how consistent and powerful the melee is in RE5. I was a melee machine.

And I loved the zombies in RE6. Probably because I love melee so much. Don't have to worry about them coming back to life exploding into huge monsters that take tons of ammo to kill and very rarely have any special melee opportunities.

I want more mutation variants, I like the mutations that occured to the J'avo, everything is so random and fun when playing against them.

Maybe a cattapiller j'avo, that splits in half to create two smaller cattepillar bodies that are very fast and try to ensnare you like a snake.

And Ada's chapter 4, we need more enemies and bosses like Ada's chapter 4

Agreed.

Imagine if the game is more RE4/5 style and had j'avo random mutations. That would be tense as fuck in an awesome way.

Ada's chapter 4 boss was pretty damn cool. I would love for more encounters like that.

- Pretty much the same replay value when it comes to trophies (I replayed it a lot to complete everything in 5)
- Less maps without DLC? I believe you mean less maps even with DLC. 6 total. 3 available. 3 DLC. Probably more DLC in the future? Let's hope so (and let's hope those 3 pre-order DLC maps become free).
- Yeah not that much interaction.
- In campaign there's not much variety. Pretty much one of every type of weapon. And guns are not upgradable like before. You don't get a running tally of guns you collect and upgrade like before. You just find them in campaign and use them for the rest of the campaign as they are. If you don't find them you can't get them again unless the game automatically gives them to you in later chapters.
- Not too many new, creative types. Some of the new ones are seemingly pulled right out of other games. Still a big variety though. Not many that are scary (
The only ones that scared me were the armored rushing guys when they would slam through a wall right next to you
). Having regular old zombies in Leon's campaign that don't mutate or do anything crazy is pretty awesome/fun too.
4 more maps are coming as DLC for sure.

Yaargh, still need 255,000 skill points for Mad Skillz...
I know the feeling. Have gone through the game on Amateur, Normal, and Pro, bought infinite grenade launcher and assault rifle (and nothing else but relevant skills) and am still short around the same you are. Terrible at Mercs too so that isn't a viable option for me and I really don't want to grind Chris 5 for it. Not nearly enough skill points awarding throughout the game, you should get some for completing a chapter and not just the ones you collect throughout.

Top Bottom