• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I know the feeling. Have gone through the game on Amateur, Normal, and Pro, bought infinite grenade launcher and assault rifle (and nothing else but relevant skills) and am still short around the same you are. Terrible at Mercs too so that isn't a viable option for me and I really don't want to grind Chris 5 for it. Not nearly enough skill points awarding throughout the game, you should get some for completing a chapter and not just the ones you collect throughout.

mercs is really the best way to do it, imo... you don't have to be very good. just get a little bit of time at the beginning and let it expire as things get too tough for you. If things get *really* tough and you still have a bit of time left, just run away until it expires.

even lame early enemies will sometimes drop skill points. idk if item drop affects skill point drops, but you could look into that as an option. either way i think skill points are best collected in mercs. and it's not quite as boring as sp grinding.

Dreamer RD

Just launched RE5 mercs again and damn, it's so much better than RE6. A bit slower though.
RE6 enemies AI is just awful. Since counters are the main time boosters, many players use that. You dont have to aim some body part or else, just wait for button to appear. But, zombies are stupid enough to not attack you and fall on the ground instead. Or even turn around lol.

RE5 - aim well, plan attacks carefully for multikills, keep and eye on combo chain
RE6 - dont give a fuck about anything, just get 150 combo, counter everything (or spam weapons) and DONT KILL THE BOSS until 149

Oh well, RE5 is dead anyway, so Im used to RE6. But need some new maps and modes at least.

GeekyDad

Just launched RE5 mercs again and damn, it's so much better than RE6. A bit slower though.
RE6 enemies AI is just awful. Since counters are the main time boosters, many players use that. You dont have to aim some body part or else, just wait for button to appear. But, zombies are stupid enough to not attack you and fall on the ground instead. Or even turn around lol.

RE5 - aim well, plan attacks carefully for multikills, keep and eye on combo chain
RE6 - dont give a fuck about anything, just get 150 combo, counter everything (or spam weapons) and DONT KILL THE BOSS until 149

Damn this all sounds so familiar. I don't know why...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I haven't played RE6 in a while - been using all the free Redbox rental codes I got to play Dishonored, and just yesterday I got Assassin's Creed 3 and am currently playing that. On the subject of AC3 though, everyone on GAF basically says that it's a terrible, glitchy, mess of a game, and yet its Metascore is 85. I don't get it, do reviewers have blinders on? It took me less than an hour of game time to find bodies disappearing into thin air, guns and objects hanging in mid-air, and AI guards freaking out and running away from me for miles once they've spotted me. I swear RE6 got the short end of the review stick, and I'm not really sure why.

So I haven't played RE6 in a while - been using all the free Redbox rental codes I got to play Dishonored, and just yesterday I got Assassin's Creed 3 and am currently playing that. On the subject of AC3 though, everyone on GAF basically says that it's a terrible, glitchy, mess of a game, and yet its Metascore is 85. I don't get it, do reviewers have blinders on? It took me less than an hour of game time to find bodies disappearing into thin air, guns and objects hanging in mid-air, and AI guards freaking out and running away from me for miles once they've spotted me. I swear RE6 got the short end of the review stick, and I'm not really sure why.

Agree.

we all know why. Nostalgia criticism.

I can't trust the opinion of any reviewer that gave a 9+ to GTA4.

GeekyDad

Though I've gotten my money's worth out of RE6 and love it for what it is, I can't say I agree with you that it's gotten a bad rap (overall) from critics. The Metacritic score seems spot-on to me. To me, had I been assigned to review it, it would be a 6.5 game. I still really enjoy playing it, and it's going to stay in my collection. But it's got plenty of problems; I just happen to be a fan who can overlook them, but I'm not blind to them.

Some critics were overly critical -- on that we can agree. But again, overall, I think the median score is right on.

Evolved1

I love both games... both are vying for my GOTY... but you're right, ACIII is just as janky, if not moreso than RE6.

Reviews are dumb, stop reading them. You will enjoy life more. I promise.

Dreamer RD

EDGE score is the most objective.
I rate campaigns something like this
Leon - 8/10
Chris - 5/10
Jake - 5/10
Ada - 7/10

No interesting enemies at all. After Ganados/Majinis, Javo's are just meh (especially dat Grasshopper shit)
Antagonists and their
mutated forms
are also very week. Looks like Parasite Eve copypaste at times. Chainsaw enemy is garbage compared to Dr Salvador and Chainsaw Majini.
Whooper and Shrieker reminded me Dead Nation. They are probably the only ones that are OK. Ah, Rasklapanje too. That's pretty much why Leon campaign is the most tolerable and even interesting at times.

edit: Ustanak also rocks in first 2 Jake chapters.

XaosWolf

No interesting enemies at all. After Ganados/Majinis, Javo's are just meh (especially dat Grasshopper shit)
Antagonists and their
mutated forms
are also very week. Looks like Parasite Eve copypaste at times. Chainsaw enemy is garbage compared to Dr Salvador and Chainsaw Majini.
Whooper and Shrieker reminded me Dead Nation. They are probably the only ones that are OK. Ah, Rasklapanje too. That's pretty much why Leon campaign is the most tolerable and even interesting at times.

edit: Ustanak also rocks in first 2 Jake chapters.

Agree with pretty much all of these.

Finished it recently, and here's my quick breakdown:
Leon - Acts dumb at first, then pretty good. Chapter 5 sucked.
Chris - Permanent state of frowny face and jimmy rustledness. I picked Piers. Didn't regret it.
Jake - Likeable character. Ustanak was awesome too. At first. Turned into Leon Ch5 most of the time.
Ada - Most enjoyable part was the slide. Also: Ada Wong.

Not really super interested in Mercenaries though. And the Campaign doesn't have much to draw me back to it. (I like 5 just enough for me to go through all the difficulties)

Riposte

What's the optimal order to do Campaign again? I pretty much finished chapter 2 for everybody.

Look in the OP. Failing that, do Jake -> Chris -> Leon.

EDIT:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5

Holy god, it took me over three and a half hours just to beat the first two chapters, this game must be insanely long. Are all the chapters this long or is this a bit misleading?

This game is such a mess, but it's so crazy that I'm having fun anyway.

Holy god, it took me over three and a half hours just to beat the first two chapters, this game must be insanely long. Are all the chapters this long or is this a bit misleading?

As I said just now in another thread, I've been playing this since day one PSN release and still haven't finished it. Granted. I restarted as I wasn't digging the chrono-run and instead just opted to do one campaign at a time. Finally on Ada ch.3 now and am sitting at just under 40 hours.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

The game is pretty damn long. It took me 22 hours on my first run to beat it. Then I went through it again on Professional, and spent a BUNCH of time on Mercenaries. There is a lot of game on that disc, and I had a lot of fun with it.

I love both games... both are vying for my GOTY... but you're right, ACIII is just as janky, if not moreso than RE6.

Reviews are dumb, stop reading them. You will enjoy life more. I promise.

I agree with you, AC3 is a good game. A very good game. My point was more that it is probably more broken from a technical perspective than RE6 and yet it reviewed much better. But yeah I generally don't read reviews, however I still get annoyed when games I like get a bad rap due to idiot reviewers.

Edit: OK I just beat AC3 and I don't think it is a "very good" game anymore. It's good, but it's also really annoying.

The game is pretty damn long. It took me 22 hours on my first run to beat it. Then I went through it again on Professional, and spent a BUNCH of time on Mercenaries. There is a lot of game on that disc, and I had a lot of fun with it.

I agree with you, AC3 is a good game. A very good game. My point was more that it is probably more broken from a technical perspective than RE6 and yet it reviewed much better. But yeah I generally don't read reviews, however I still get annoyed when games I like get a bad rap due to idiot reviewers.

Edit: OK I just beat AC3 and I don't think it is a "very good" game anymore. It's good, but it's also really annoying.

/totally off topic for this thread but I have to comment on this...

It's funny how ACIII went from me thinking "wow, this could be my GotY!" for the first 50% of the game or so, and then when I finished it was just "um... yeah... nevermind".

With that out of the running, I have to say my GotY is either RE6 or Dragon's Dogma. Thanks Capcom!

Evolved1

I just hit my first real annoying moment in ACIII... up to this point I have accepted all the quirks and jank... a huge game like this is gonna have some annoying jank. There's even jank hardwired into the most fundamental systems: navigation/freerunning is still pretty wonky 30% of the time Conner will do the most retarded shit, and directional inputs for climbing might as well be a dice roll.

That said... so what. Awesome game is still awesome. The devs know the game is pretty janky and so far they've crafted scenarios that work around it. And really, the game is not hard, you can easily kill any amount of soldiers if you stumble into conflict (sometimes this is the easiest solution to most problems -- I do hold that against the devs as a detriment to the game, but then again, I love combat even though it's easy, so I guess it's a bit of give and take).

That was until the bunker hill mission. Omg, the bunker hill mission. Ok, the first part of this mission is awesome. And then... ugh. Forced stealth (which I normally love) on the most janky climbing environments in the game (actually this might be a tie between the ships and the big viewpoint trees) nevertheless you are asked to climb around on these ships and it's such a pain in the ass. Conner will not do what you want 50% of the time. The fucking guards are omniscient. Having to kill the one guy a certain way is such a pain (I kill everyone on the ship but two guys on the other side of the deck, facing away, then I set up my kill on the other side of the ship, and do it behind crates, these assholes still see me).

Oh man... bunker hill go fuck yourself.

im still excited to try it again this morning, this remains in my GOTY contention

Evolved1

oh and since this is a RE6 thread I have an RE6 question: RE.Net alt costume, Helena or Sherry?

Hard choice. Takes so long to build 60000 I don't want to waste it.

/totally off topic for this thread but I have to comment on this...

It's funny how ACIII went from me thinking "wow, this could be my GotY!" for the first 50% of the game or so, and then when I finished it was just "um... yeah... nevermind".

With that out of the running, I have to say my GotY is either RE6 or Dragon's Dogma. Thanks Capcom!

Exactly how I felt.

Feindflug

Yep the game took me roughly 30hrs on my first playthrough and I wish that Capcom will keep the multi character campaign structure of this game for RE7.

The weird thing is that as the time passes by I appreciate this game even more (especially after I played it at co-op and spend more time in the amazing Mercs) and I seriously can't wait for the new patch to arrive to have a reason to replay it...so yeah I really love this game and it's definitely on my top 5 of this year.

Honestly after all the hate this game gets in almost everywhere I go it's so good to be in here and see all the love about the game, it totally deserves it. :)

Replicant

You know, after AC3, suddenly RE6 feels like a 8/10 game at least. Whereas before it was like 6/10 game. But after the pain the butt that is AC3, things start to come into perspective

Neff

RE is old, unfashionable and Japanese.

AC is hip, new and Western.

That's really all there is to it.

Sectus

Sometimes it just seems reviewers agree with things in irrational ways. I can remember a ton of reviewers slammed Mercenaries 2 extremely hard for bugs, even though they are only extremely minor ones (sure you'd have an occasional civilian car fall down from the sky, but that was more funny than anything else). I can remember pretty much every review site praised GTA4 for its graphics, even though it was a blurry mess which ran at probably 20fps.

Sherry, because Alt helena's loadout is garbage, even though I like her costume

Helena alt isn't so bad, her machine pistol works well for setting up counter kills with j'avo. She is probably one of the lower tier characters since she can't kill bosses quickly though. But I think she's fun to play as.

I'd go for Sherry costume 2 too though, since pink > brown

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think it's funny how cutscenes are inconsistent. Played Chris's chapter 4 and you know who was wearing a different costume for every scene they were in the chapter.

Neiteio

I think it's funny how cutscenes are inconsistent. Played Chris's chapter 4 and you know who was wearing a different costume for every scene they were in the chapter.
You're joking, right? Are you seriously unable to tell why that's happening?

Keep playing.

suikodan

You're a girl if I'm right so I'm not surprised that you noticed (and I did not) but as the others said, keep playing, it only get more interesting from there.

So yeah, I did complete the game. It was very inconsistent gameplay-wise but I did love the whole package, how it all
ties up at the end
and I hope we'll see all those characters again someday.
Except Derek

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Hahahahahahaha

"So slow to catch on".

This game just has no sense of pacing and restraint, and now instead of it being endearing, I'm getting annoyed. I've been fighting Simmons for about as long as an entire Call of Duty campaign. I mean, come on. And these bosses are so bullet spongey that I'm constantly worrying that I'm not even attacking them correctly.

bumpkin

This. So much this. I have beaten the game 3 times now and I still don't know what bosses are on timers or if I am doing enough damage or tackling the encounter right at all.
I've YouTube'd at least two fights
(final as Leon and chapter 2's as Chris)
because they seemed to never die and my patience wore thin.

DonMigs85

My cousin just got the Anthology pack and I downloaded RE4 HD from his account, man I have to relearn these old controls again.

This. So much this. I have beaten the game 3 times now and I still don't know what bosses are on timers or if I am doing enough damage or tackling the encounter right at all.

It's like... most of the bosses have eyeballs or glowing sacs or tentacles or whatever (often a mix of these targets) that are obvious weak points, and I go for them, but it's always so hard to hit them so I end up mostly just hitting their body wherever. Regardless of where you hit them there's no different feedback in terms of sound or blood or reaction or whatever, so sometimes after these extremely long fights I'm not even sure if I was actually hurting them with the body shots or was it just my lucky hits on their weak points that did the damage... and like you said, some of them seem to be timed or scripted in some way, so that makes me even more unsure and anxious to check an FAQ rather than waste time and ammo/items. I wish the bosses had health bars to get rid of the confusion.

I could list a hundred complaints about this game (the ridiculously tight camera view foremost among them), but it's so absolutely bonkers and so ambitious and bombastic... still having fun.

Shinta

Banned
how condescending.

Yeah, I guess I was. Sorry. I honestly wasn't trying to be. Sometimes I wish I could forget movies I've seen so I could see them again for the first time. It's even worse when it's something I am watching for the first time and they give away the big twist before it happens.

Riposte

You guys are all dicks. For some statements you just need to smile and nod as not to give anything away.

Btw, we are officially free of ErikB. RE6 GAF will never be the same again.

Top Bottom