• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

So I haven't played RE6 in a while - been using all the free Redbox rental codes I got to play Dishonored, and just yesterday I got Assassin's Creed 3 and am currently playing that. On the subject of AC3 though, everyone on GAF basically says that it's a terrible, glitchy, mess of a game, and yet its Metascore is 85. I don't get it, do reviewers have blinders on? It took me less than an hour of game time to find bodies disappearing into thin air, guns and objects hanging in mid-air, and AI guards freaking out and running away from me for miles once they've spotted me. I swear RE6 got the short end of the review stick, and I'm not really sure why.

Yep, it makes absolutely no sense and I agree that RE6 definitely got the short end of the stick. How AC3 with all of it's known issues procure virtually impeccable scores and RE6 with it's issues score so low? I said it before, but reviewers seem to be way too harsh on "certain" games IMO, but I won't go into specific details. Oh yeah, RE6 has problems, but 3's and 4's?? Come on........

Riposte

Haven't played AC3 yet, but if the game isn't frustrating in terms of difficulty (e.g. no equivalent to not knowing how to dodge lunges) then you shouldn't be surprised it would be received differently.

Gbraga

I think it's funny how cutscenes are inconsistent. Played Chris's chapter 4 and you know who was wearing a different costume for every scene they were in the chapter.

I'm sorry, what?

I'll just believe that you got it but thought it was so obvious that it couldn't possibly be true.

kaioshade

So far, i have Finished Leon and Jake's scenarios.

Leon was fun, that last fucker would NOT die.
Jake was fun, Ustanak is amusing. Chapter 2 was not the horrible, soul crushing experience i was expecting judging from some of the comments.
Chris i am expecting to be all action, all the time, so im prepared.

I might wait until the patch before i play the 4th campaign. I have been running through the game with my GF for each.

All in all, im immensely enjoying the game, although infinite ammo is going to take FOREVER. Does Mercenaries kill count towards the goal of target kills?

bumpkin

So far, i have Finished Leon and Jake's scenarios.

Leon was fun, that last fucker would NOT die.
Jake was fun, Ustanak is amusing. Chapter 2 was not the horrible, soul crushing experience i was expecting judging from some of the comments.
Chris i am expecting to be all action, all the time, so im prepared.

I might wait until the patch before i play the 4th campaign. I have been running through the game with my GF for each.

All in all, im immensely enjoying the game, although infinite ammo is going to take FOREVER. Does Mercenaries kill count towards the goal of target kills?
How? I went through his campaign first, and I almost turned it off and never played it again at least half a dozen times. I'm about three chapters into Chris' campaign now, and while it's simply not Resident Evil, I'm enjoying it more than that abortion they call Leon's campaign. I was so ridiculously disappointed with it; hell, the game in general. I can only imagine what kind of bullshit bag Jake's is going to be.

Dreamer RD

Does Mercenaries kill count towards the goal of target kills?

Yeah. Mercs is also the best way to farm skill points too.
Still havent unlocked 1 skill Bowgun Master or something like that. 800 bowgun kills. Probably the worst weapon in game. Aiming and destructive power is awful :\

kaioshade

How? I went through his campaign first, and I almost turned it off and never played it again at least half a dozen times. I'm about three chapters into Chris' campaign now, and while it's simply not Resident Evil, I'm enjoying it more than that abortion they call Leon's campaign. I was so ridiculously disappointed with it; hell, the game in general. I can only imagine what kind of bullshit bag Jake's is going to be.

I guess i wasnt seeing what was so offensive about the game, especially Leon's campaign. I also was not expecting Resident Evil 4 2.0. (not saying you are, but a lot of other commenters seem to)

Dreamer, thanks, i will hop on Mercs after campaigns are finished.

marrec

Banned
I've YouTube'd at least two fights
(final as Leon and chapter 2's as Chris)
because they seemed to never die and my patience wore thin.

Spoiler relating to your spoiler:

Leon's Final seems to have multiple ways to off him in the Spider form. I've found two so far. You can either just stab him in the face with the lightning rod directly, or you can stab a Zombie with the lightning rod, explode his face, and wait for him to absorb the rod into it.

Honestly one of them most satisfying experiences I've had with Gaming this year is stabbing that fucker in the face with a lightning rod. During that flying leap Leon took I actually jumped up and went 'TAKE THAT FUCK HEAD'. Of course, that's probably because at that point I'd spent 2 hours putting about 4 tons of lead into him.

The design of some of these fights seem so counter-intuitive until you figure it out and have that 'fuck ya!' moment.

kaioshade

Spoiler relating to your spoiler:

Leon's Final seems to have multiple ways to off him in the Spider form. I've found two so far. You can either just stab him in the face with the lightning rod directly, or you can stab a Zombie with the lightning rod, explode his face, and wait for him to absorb the rod into it.

Honestly one of them most satisfying experiences I've had with Gaming this year is stabbing that fucker in the face with a lightning rod. During that flying leap Leon took I actually jumped up and went 'TAKE THAT FUCK HEAD'. Of course, that's probably because at that point I'd spent 2 hours putting about 4 tons of lead into him.

The design of some of these fights seem so counter-intuitive until you figure it out and have that 'fuck ya!' moment.

And i actually LIKE that. The game actually made you FIGURE out what to do, rather than just "shoot until its dead"

marrec

Banned
And i actually LIKE that. The game actually made you FIGURE out what to do, rather than just "shoot until its dead"

It's unfortunate that they couldn't have included something to tell you you were doing it wrong though. I hate wasting ammunition on something (Good stuff like Lightning Hawk ammo) only to figure out that I did it in the wrong order or didn't press the correct button before blowing off a part.

Of course, that's feeds back into the satisfaction you get when you finally do get it right... so it's a give and take. In the moment it really just makes me want to put it down out of pure frustration. Some of the best games I fondly remember from my gaming past have made me feel like that on a routine basis.

So I beat the game last night (save for the Ada campaign) and while leaving Jake for last, assuming it will be the weakest campaign, it actually proved to be by far my favorite! So for me it's Jake > Leon > Chris. I played Chris first and I was constantly bitching about the game... The controls felt horrible to me, didn't like the graphics, the action was generic... I would score it with a 6. In the end I came to terms with what kind of game I was playing, got used to the controls (fuck you Capcom for that useless tutorial) and the more I played the more I liked it. Playing it online with a friend also helped. I really like RE6's scale compared to 5, it just feels a much more ambitious project, though flawed of course. At the end of Jake's campaign, I would score it with a 7.5-8. These reviews that wrote it off as being the worst thing ever are ridiculous!

Overall, am I satisfied with the way the franchise is going? No way. RE6 feels such a missed opportunity after the Lost in Nightmares DLC. I want survival/horror back. But is this the terrible game that others say it is? IMO no, it is a good game that I didn't regret buying.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You guys, Dishonored is really good. It's creeping up my GOTY list and may just challenge RE6 for the top. It's almost the polar opposite of RE6: whereas RE6 has a whole bestiary of ideas, some of which are implemented well, some of which are not, Dishonored has a laser-tight focus on a few mechanics which it polishes to the hilt. It is easily the most well-designed and tightly controlling game I have played this year.

Still not sure if I like it more than RE6 though. For all its faults, RE6 has a ton of charm and an insane amount of replayability.

marrec

Banned
You guys, Dishonored is really good. It's creeping up my GOTY list and may just challenge RE6 for the top. It's almost the polar opposite of RE6: whereas RE6 has a whole bestiary of ideas, some of which are implemented well, some of which are not, Dishonored has a laser-tight focus on a few mechanics which it polishes to the hilt. It is easily the most well-designed and tightly controlling game I have played this year.

Still not sure if I like it more than RE6 though. For all its faults, RE6 has a ton of charm and an insane amount of replayability.

I felt Dishonored was such a shallow experience compared to RE6. It does things very well, but doesn't know how to let you have fun exploring those things. I think I tainted my opinion of Dishonored by playing Mark of the Ninja right before it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I felt Dishonored was such a shallow experience compared to RE6. It does things very well, but doesn't know how to let you have fun exploring those things. I think I tainted my opinion of Dishonored by playing Mark of the Ninja right before it.

Hmm really? I was very impressed at how many options you had to go through each level and approach your target. It really took the sandbox philosophy to heart. I haven't played Mark of the Ninja though, but I hear very good things about it. Waiting for a Steam or XBL sale so I can pick it up on the cheap.

marrec

Banned
Hmm really? I was very impressed at how many options you had to go through each level and approach your target. It really took the sandbox philosophy to heart. I haven't played Mark of the Ninja though, but I hear very good things about it. Waiting for a Steam or XBL sale so I can pick it up on the cheap.

Well to get more specific, there were any number of ways to go about killing someone, but only 1 or 2 ways to go about not killing them. All through the game it really felt like it was punishing you for trying to play the game without killing anyone, and there was no real reward or challenge behind it.

That said, the actual killing people part was extremely fun.

I just hope the next game doesn't feature Jake. I couldn't stand him as a character he was pretty annoying and just doesn't fit in the Resident Evil verse very well. Reminded me of a dude that tried to hard to be Dante from DMC3 but failed miserably,

Gbraga

Well to get more specific, there were any number of ways to go about killing someone, but only 1 or 2 ways to go about not killing them. All through the game it really felt like it was punishing you for trying to play the game without killing anyone, and there was no real reward or challenge behind it.

That said, the actual killing people part was extremely fun.

I've seen a lot of people saying that Dishonored is a lot more fun if you pretend it's not a stealth game.

And seeing the amount of options you have with the character's abilities for creative kills, I can see why.

But looks like the game rewards you for playing stealth with the good ending, so I guess I'll play it stealthly even though it's more fun killing everyone. Or if it's too boring I'll kill everyone and youtube the good ending.

bumpkin

I guess i wasnt seeing what was so offensive about the game, especially Leon's campaign. I also was not expecting Resident Evil 4 2.0. (not saying you are, but a lot of other commenters seem to)
I would have been happy with it being Resident Evil 5 2.0, even. It was just the sum of all of the new parts that hamper(ed) my experience. I'll admit that it's possible my biggest problem is a refusal to adapt and play it differently. My feelings are that I shouldn't need to; they had an established set of mechanics and gameplay norms that they threw off-balance with the new additions. A lot of it was disorientating and inconsistent. Things I'm referring to include:

a. Inconsistent button prompts for breaking free of attacks
b. The tiny window for success with counters
c. Every enemy can lunge at you
d. The camera is too close (Yes, I know this is in the Dec fix)
e. Too many bullet-sponge enemy types
f. Boss fights with obscure conditions for victory
g. Inventory and weapon/item switching feels over-complicated
h. No "pause" button(?)
i. Diving and rolling moves are superficial and often impractical
j. Cover mechanism is clunky (should be easier to get in/out)
k. QTEs tied to some events are extraneous

I'm not faulting anyone for enjoying the game, but for me, it's tedious. And that sucks because I love the series, settings and its characters. Those are the only things which keep me playing it.

Gbraga

I would have been happy with it being Resident Evil 5 2.0, even. It was just the sum of all of the new parts that hamper(ed) my experience. I'll admit that it's possible my biggest problem is a refusal to adapt and play it differently. My feelings are that I shouldn't need to; they had an established set of mechanics and gameplay norms that they threw off-balance with the new additions. A lot of it was disorientating and inconsistent. Things I'm referring to include:

h. No "pause" button(?)

I'm not faulting anyone for enjoying the game, but for me, it's tedious. And that sucks because I love the series, settings and its characters. Those are the only things which keep me playing it.

a. What's inconsistent about it?

b. They're actually quite large

e. I was only annoyed by Leon's final boss on his first form on that regard, the rest of the enemies never felt like bullet sponge to me, more about setting up the proper finisher.

h. You can pause, just not if you're playing online, which would be ridiculous

i. No they're not, at least not if you're playing mercenaries or the campaign on pro

The rest I either agree or can see why they'd bother someone else.

marrec

Banned

h. No "pause" button(?)

Your opinion is of course just as valid as mine. I'd like to take some of your specific points and add a bit of my own experiences with them however.

F) I've talked about this above, and while I agree that the victory conditions are often obscure the feeling of accomplishment you get from killing some of these big guys outweighs any frustration I feel from actually figuring it out.

G) The inventory and weapon switching system for me is quick and very intuitive. Much better than RE4 and RE5 for obvious reasons, and the way the interface changes between Campaigns is a nice touch. Getting used to the new system was a bit of a chore but I'll talk more about that below.

I) The diving and rolling have been a lifesaver for me. I played through the entire Leon campaign without using them at all because I wasn't fully used to the control yet (and they don't tell you how to dive or roll...). I started Chris' campaign and actually accidentally dove out of the way of an enemy hit which had been frustrating me in the past. It opened up a whole new avenue for the combat that was already pretty intriguing. That coupled with the quick get up, slide and shoot, and jump kicks have made for a surprisingly action-packed and fluid experience.

K) Extraneous QTE experiences are part of what RE has been since RE4. I'm actually disappointed in the LACK of QTEs. (I keep saying to my SO "Expect a QTE here" only to be disappointed) I do know what you're talking about though, the cable climbing sequence in Leon's campaign is stupid, I think we can all agree.

bumpkin

a. What's inconsistent about it?
Sometimes it prompts for a stick wiggle, other times it's an RT press or an A or X mash. I feel like it should require a clear and predictable action on my part, not something that changes.

b. They're actually quite large
If you aren't ready for it -- you're in crowd control mode -- the window is too small. Though I could just suck and be slow. :)

e. I was only annoyed by Leon's final boss on his first form on that regard, the rest of the enemies never felt like bullet sponge to me, more about setting up the proper finisher.
Maybe with familiarity and repeated exposure, the "proper finisher" might be clear, but I felt like I never got a good handle on how to dispatch them all efficiently.

h. You can pause, just not if you're playing online, which would be ridiculous
When I tried to pause it, enemies were still coming at me... Was I imagining things?

i. No they're not, at least not if you're playing mercenaries or the campaign on pro
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Gbraga

Sometimes it prompts for a stick wiggle, other times it's an RT press or an A or X mash. I feel like it should require a clear and predictable action on my part, not something that changes.

If you aren't ready for it -- you're in crowd control mode -- the window is too small. Though I could just suck and be slow. :)

Maybe with familiarity and repeated exposure, the "proper finisher" might be clear, but I felt like I never got a good handle on how to dispatch them all efficiently.

When I tried to pause it, enemies were still coming at me... Was I imagining things?

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
The prompts are actually always the same for the same kind of grab/attack you're suffering, for example the Lepotitsa grab (at least on mercs) will always require you to execute the same timed button press to escape. You just have to get used to the starting animations to know what you'll have to press.

I can see the counter window being a problem like that, but just imagine that if they made it bigger it would be even easier to use when you're going for it, it's already borderline broken on mercs. It's not that you suck, in those cases it may be fast, but they just can't afford to make it bigger (at least I hope so), you should try to roll more in those situations, use a forward roll and then quick turn to face them.

The pause part, you probably opened the menu. Yes, the menu doesn't pause the game, the pause button is another one and all it does is pause the game.

mernst23

Choked down another chapter of campaign last night. Ada Chapter 2 on professional. I'm liking that her campaign has some puzzles and wish the entire game did it. Oh well. Chapter 1 of her campaign was god awful. Think i'm up to 23.5 hours played in the game so far. Redoing Jake and Chris on Professional and collecting the serpent emblems is going to be sure a chore. I think I only found 39/80 with only 3 chapters of ada's campaign left in my first playthrough. That seems really low considering i'm taking my time and being pretty observant usually to find them.

Bollocks

Picked it up again after a 3 week hiatus and wow the fov was a slap in the face. Couldn't do shit, lost my combo and finally died but after 2 rounds I was back :)
I just wish they would release the patch already so me and my buddy can continue with the Ada campaign.

kunonabi

The problem with the counter window is that if the enemy isn't in range when the attack starts you won't see the bar. If you move into range the bar will show up but you won't have the full amount of time to hit the button and get the counter. At first I thought some enemies just had really small windows and some had bigger ones but that didn't turn out to be the case after I started testing it out.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The counter window is quite small for certain attacks, such as dog attacks and zombie lunges. It's more forgiving for stuff like zombies with sticks and Bloodshots. However I like this system because it increases the skill required to pull off successful counters, while also giving you other easier ways of dealing with these attacks (rolling out of the way, shooting them out of the air).

kunonabi

The counter window is quite small for certain attacks, such as dog attacks and zombie lunges. It's more forgiving for stuff like zombies with sticks and Bloodshots. However I like this system because it increases the skill required to pull off successful counters, while also giving you other easier ways of dealing with these attacks (rolling out of the way, shooting them out of the air).

Not really since mashing X works so well.

News Bot

Banned
In light of BH6, I think fans of the older games will enjoy something we're cooking up at the moment with the help of many former members of the BIO team.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm not going to fight you over this opinion, but I still find it fascinating how polarizing this game is. I know this chapter is one of mine and several others who have posted in this thread's favorite chapters in the game.

This game is weird, that's for sure. Loved Chris 1-2, hated 3, liked Jake 1-2, hated 3 lol. Savin Leon for last to sway me.

The Chinese mansion motif with pointless emblems and a tank.. I don't know.. It just doesn't gel well. I think it was the amount of enemies. It forced me to use quickshot+melee a bit too much and that gets boring.

In light of BH6, I think fans of the older games will enjoy something we're cooking up at the moment with the help of many former members of the BIO team.
tumblr_m8e3exveno1rcjmu8o1_400.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seriously... it's time to at least announce the damn DLC already.

I'm starting to get annoyed that we don't even have access to the fucking merc maps yet on PS3.

So News Bot I assume you are working on an interview with various team members for RE1 or something?

OR YOU HAVE RE1.5 FUCKING GIVE IT RABBLE RABBLE

Sectus

Well, since you're the second person to say it, can I ask what made it stand out for you guys?

Jake chapter 3 is my favourite chapter in the game and my reasons are:

- A strong sense of exploration, especially the mansion.
- Majority of the chapter relies on normal gameplay with no gimmicks.
- I liked the starting bit with Jake and Sherry having very different gameplay. Although the primary reason I like chapter 3 is the mansion.

I personally think the entire game should have been like this. Non-linear map design, majority of combat is just the core mechanics against normal enemies, and with some "gimmicky" well designed gameplay here and there similar to the start of Jake chapter 3.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I agree with all of what Sectus said. Firstly, the more open-world design of the Chinese Mansion was a lot of fun for me, though I will add that it helped I really loved how the whole place looked aesthetically. The beginning stealth segment was fun, and it was nice to have Sherry and Jake go through completely different yet linked experiences.

While the weakest part of the chapter, I even liked the tank segment, which in my opinion was the best 'chase' sequence in the game. Had a couple of nice twists on it, and the deaths by it felt more fair and logical to me.

I felt it was a very solid area and among one of my favorite chapters in the game.

I could go more in-depth with the following, but my absolute favorite chapters in the game are (in no order but the order I played the campaigns in):

-Leon 1 (despite the opening, I loved everything else a LOT in the chapter, especially from the Subway onward)
-Leon 4
-Chris 4
-Jake 3
-Jake 5
-Ada 4

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Jake chapter 3 is my favourite chapter in the game and my reasons are:

- A strong sense of exploration, especially the mansion.
- Majority of the chapter relies on normal gameplay with no gimmicks.
- I liked the starting bit with Jake and Sherry having very different gameplay. Although the primary reason I like chapter 3 is the mansion.

I personally think the entire game should have been like this. Non-linear map design, majority of combat is just the core mechanics against normal enemies, and with some "gimmicky" well designed gameplay here and there similar to the start of Jake chapter 3.

Oh man, I didn't get anything like that from that chapter. I only played it as Jake, so I don't know about Sherry's section, but Jake was just melee a few dudes, then run past them and push a crate and climb it. Mini turret sequence, and then that's it you're reunited. From there on I can map the entire mansion out right now. Long hallway, up stairs, long hallway connected to a square hallway, leads into a bigger room with another square hallway connected but this time with entrances closed. A grand total of 2 entrances. And then you wrap around to the same spot when finished.

The rooms don't give a sense of exploration because they contain NOTHING but either a group of masked enemies or an emblem. Absolutely nothing like that adds flavor or fleshes out the world like the things you'd find in other RE mansions. I think there was one drawer with an emblem, lockers you can get into but have nothing inside them, and a piano I pressed X at that gave me another emblem. That's it.

The tank section after at the pond I literally just ran past everyone to get it over with. Up the stairs, figured out the tank mechanic, jump across, run past, grab the chests, motorcycle.

Ugh that chapter was bad lol. But as someone else pointed out, this game sure is divisive.

Sectus

Oh man, I didn't get anything like that from that chapter. I only played it as Jake, so I don't know about Sherry's section, but Jake was just melee a few dudes, then run past them and push a crate and climb it. Mini turret sequence, and then that's it you're reunited. From there on I can map the entire mansion out right now. Long hallway, up stairs, long hallway connected to a square hallway, leads into a bigger room with another square hallway connected but this time with entrances closed. A grand total of 2 entrances. And then you wrap around to the same spot when finished.

The rooms don't give a sense of exploration because they contain NOTHING but either a group of masked enemies or an emblem. Absolutely nothing like that adds flavor or fleshes out the world like the things you'd find in other RE mansions. I think there was one drawer with an emblem, lockers you can get into but have nothing inside them, and a piano I pressed X at that gave me another emblem. That's it.

The tank section after at the pond I literally just ran past everyone to get it over with. Up the stairs, figured out the tank mechanic, jump across, run past, grab the chests, motorcycle.

Ugh that chapter was bad lol. But as someone else pointed out, this game sure is divisive.

I just like places I can actually explore. It's something which is sorely lacking in modern shooters. That level alone was more explorable than any level in RE5 and RE6, and probably every modern shooter released this year. I enjoyed the story mode in RE6 overall, but I can't hide the fact that 90% of the level design was "Follow this path."

GeekyDad

I just like places I can actually explore. It's something which is sorely lacking in modern shooters. That level alone was more explorable than any level in RE5 and RE6, and probably every modern shooter released this year. I enjoyed the story mode in RE6 overall, but I can't hide the fact that 90% of the level design was "Follow this path."

Yeah, I really enjoyed Chapter 3 as well -- Jake's campaign is still my favorite. That particular chapter, especially, felt nothing like a Resident Evil game, but it was still very entertaining. It had its frustrating moments just like the rest of the game, but when comparing it to the rest of the game, it's easily one of my favorite chapters. Ada 2 still holds the crown for me I think, but Jake 3 is good fun. And on a side note, I really like the aesthetic of the chapter. I don't know...something about it felt very Capcom to me. It's hard to put my finger on.

I wonder if there were any folks from the Onimusha series working on this game. There's lots of little bits throughout the game that conjure thoughts of those games.

Mit-

Have they said anything else about the December update?

I'm not playing Ada's campaign again until I can do it co-op. This game isn't fun singleplayer.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I mean it's pretty easy to make any game sound boring when you reduce it to its core components like that: "Man RE4 is so boring you just run in straight lines, shoot dudes in the leg then kick them in the face, knife boxes to get items, rinse lather repeat blah blah."

The reason I liked Jake 3 was twofold: the Mirror's Edge aesthetic of the first area combined with the luxuriant opulence of the Chinese mansion, and the way the level allows you to explore it trying to gather emblems in order to exit. It felt a lot more like RE1 than anything in RE4-6 honestly. It had a sense of mystery and exploration that has been lacking in the series for a long time. And when that tank came crashing through the wall I almost fell off my chair; I love off-the-wall surprises like that.

I'm an expert

I just don't get the emblem mechanic. They introduce the emblems before you know what they're for. Then you find out what they're for and use them. I already had the 4 emblems I needed when I first hit the statue, so I opened the door and went looking for the next 10 which I knew had to be in that tiny hallway because as soon as you made one turn you were back in the same bedroom from the first section. I got all 10 emblems in like 3 minutes..

I dunno, maye some how my approach to that level was different.

Top Bottom