• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just don't get the emblem mechanic. They introduce the emblems before you know what they're for. Then you find out what they're for and use them. I already had the 4 emblems I needed when I first hit the statue, so I opened the door and went looking for the next 10 which I knew had to be in that tiny hallway because as soon as you made one turn you were back in the same bedroom from the first section. I got all 10 emblems in like 3 minutes..

I dunno, maye some how my approach to that level was different.

You didn't get them all though... to unlock the door for the bear commander.

News Bot

Banned
So News Bot I assume you are working on an interview with various team members for RE1 or something?

OR YOU HAVE RE1.5 FUCKING GIVE IT RABBLE RABBLE

You're close, though I won't say on which one. We're also sitting on a bunch of stuff concerning Outbreak and the scrapped versions of BH4.

For a bit of a cryptic tease, the "4" in the Keeper's Diary (4 Itchy Tasty) has a hidden significance.

You're close, though I won't say on which one. We're also sitting on a bunch of stuff concerning Outbreak and the scrapped versions of BH4.

For a bit of a cryptic tease, the "4" in the Keeper's Diary (4 Itchy Tasty) has a hidden significance.

Interesting, especially the RE3.5 hints, can't wait! (but we will...)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You didn't get them all though... to unlock the door for the bear commander.

I had more than I needed in the end, but no I don't think I unlocked another door. I did get something called bear commander after beating the level though. What is it?

Evolved1

I had more than I needed in the end, but no I don't think I unlocked another door. I did get something called bear commander after beating the level though. What is it?

It's an assault rifle with an underslung 40mm grenade launcher. They wimped out and gave it to everyone next chapter anyway, but I enjoyed figuring out how to unlock it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
ohgodohgodohgodohgod

My cousin is in town to visit and my mom gave him a bunch of my old GameCube games to give me.

I think it includes REmake. :O

Late to the RE6 party but I just finished Leon's campaign last night and the first chapter of Jake's. I'm actually liking it so far, and I haven't even had a problem with camera. Going to have to figure out how to properly play Mercs...I suck.

Evolved1

Ok maybe I'm lttp on this... I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere (though I missed a few days during hurricane sandy) but apparently the preorder maps are available for download on PSN. They cost $.99 a piece.

Is this new? Have they really been available for a while and I didn't know? lol... damn.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ok maybe I'm lttp on this... I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere (though I missed a few days during hurricane sandy) but apparently the preorder maps are available for download on PSN. They cost $.99 a piece.

Is this new? Have they really been available for a while and I didn't know? lol... damn.

LOL yeah you're pretty late, they've been out for a while. :)

Late to the RE6 party but I just finished Leon's campaign last night and the first chapter of Jake's. I'm actually liking it so far, and I haven't even had a problem with camera. Going to have to figure out how to properly play Mercs...I suck.

Yeah man the game is fun! I thought Jake's campaign was my favorite, so I'd be interested to see what you think when you get through it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What's the quickest way to get skill points?

It's pretty agreeable the fastest way is to play Mercenaries. Every good round of Mercenaries should last you 15-20 minutes or so, and assuming you do well, it is possible to net somewhere between 15,000-25,000 Skill points each go.

GeekyDad

Think I bought them about two or three weeks ago.

Gyrian

Platinum'd last night!

I can't believe how much fun I've been having with RE6 after the bad taste the demo left me with.
I've spent a ridiculous amount of hours with this game without it starting to feel spent. Rather impressive for what I'm used to expect from the series.
And to boot, my main gripe (the close camera + narrow FOV) is getting fixed soon!

This is easily my favorite iteration of Mercs, if only because of how fluid the action is compared with 4 and 5.
There's a really nice challenge and satisfaction to starting to master any of these maps in solo play, especially with characters that have to rely on options out of your comfort zone.
Mercs has taught me not to hate the machine pistol, for example.

If you're looking for a moderate level Mercs player for duo, my PSN name is Gyrian.

Dave1988

Platinum'd last night!

I can't believe how much fun I've been having with RE6 after the bad taste the demo left me with.
I've spent a ridiculous amount of hours with this game without it starting to feel spent. Rather impressive for what I'm used to expect from the series.
And to boot, my main gripe (the close camera + narrow FOV) is getting fixed soon!

This is easily my favorite iteration of Mercs, if only because of how fluid the action is compared with 4 and 5.
There's a really nice challenge and satisfaction to starting to master any of these maps in solo play, especially with characters that have to rely on options out of your comfort zone.
Mercs has taught me not to hate the machine pistol, for example.

If you're looking for a moderate level Mercs player for duo, my PSN name is Gyrian.

You should drop by general GAF chat made by Lux sometime. I know that VIPER9 is still playing RE6 and likes it. He was looking for a partner to do SP not so long ago so you guys could bro-op.

Yeah man the game is fun! I thought Jake's campaign was my favorite, so I'd be interested to see what you think when you get through it.

So far (now through Ch 2) I like Jake as a character quite a bit. Didn't care much for the snowmobile section in Ch 2 but the rest has been pretty good. I'm playing about a chapter a night so I'm looking forward to Ch 3 especially based on your impressions.

joe2187

Banned
I think this sums up the plot of RE6 pretty accurately

tumblr_mdg0gcYtvg1rsjhp0o1_500.gif

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's pretty agreeable the fastest way is to play Mercenaries. Every good round of Mercenaries should last you 15-20 minutes or so, and assuming you do well, it is possible to net somewhere between 15,000-25,000 Skill points each go.

Is there some trick to this? I played one and it only lasted like 2 minutes and I don't think I got anything out of it.

Evolved1

Is there some trick to this? I played one and it only lasted like 2 minutes and I don't think I got anything out of it.

Well... two mins means you didn't pick up a single time extension, and never got a single melee kill.

So... get the yellow time bonus crystals strewn throughout the levels, and focus on melee kills, counters, coupe de grace that each grant time extensions (+5, +10, +7 respectively) and be sure to pickup any skillpoints that drop (these are shaped like chess pieces).

Also, you must survive until time expires or you'll lose everything. So, if you die, you don't gain anything.

Bittercup

What's the quickest way to get skill points?
If you're not good at Mercenaries, Chris Chapter 5 is the easiest way.
Just run through the beginning of the level to the room with the switches and conveyor belts. Activate all switches, kill the enemies, collect all skill points and exit to the next room then quit back to the main menu and repeat.
That's approximately 20k skill points in ~10-15min.

Jawmuncher

So amazon has the PS3 and 360 version for 39.99

Just thought I'd post it even though everyone in the OT probably owns the game, but you know just in case someone just browses through. Would make a thread but i'm not in the mood.

Well... two mins means you didn't pick up a single time extension, and never got a single melee kill.

So... get the yellow time bonus crystals strewn throughout the levels, and focus on melee kills, counters, coupe de grace that each grant time extensions (+5, +10, +7 respectively) and be sure to pickup any skillpoints that drop (these are shaped like chess pieces).

Also, you must survive until time expires or you'll lose everything. So, if you die, you don't gain anything.

I haven't played much of Mercs yet, but my problem seems to be that I'm playing it like RE5/3D Mercs, and in so doing drain my stamina bar too fast, to the point of dropping combos.

GeekyDad

I haven't played much of Mercs yet, but my problem seems to be that I'm playing it like RE5/3D Mercs, and in so doing drain my stamina bar too fast, to the point of dropping combos.

If you're playing it like RE5/Mercs 3D, then you shouldn't have a problem with stamina, as stamina only drains when you use melee without a prompt or do a quick shot.

Evolved1

There are ways to manage the stamina while focusing on melee:

advice said:
  • Counters; these do not cost any stamina and with power counter equipped, will OHK most enemies on zombie maps. It might seem tricky to get the timing at first, but it's actually really easy on most enemies. The best way to kill bloodshots. OHK and +10 seconds.

• Set up your melee with a shot to stagger; best bet imo is the arm/shoulder shot, will spin enemies around for a +5 kill.

• Coupe de grace; this method can eat up your stamina if you aren't careful. Gun shot + quickslide will set up the heavy stagger (don't be too early, takes them a sec to stagger hard) and get you the +7 and a pretty awesome looking kill. There are a number of ways to set this up, but this is how I do it when I'm going for the coupe de grace.

• Do not "chase" melee. What I mean is, don't keep hitting on a guy over and over while they're "blocking" and then finally kill them after getting them on the ground. That will eat up your stamina very fast.

• Quickshots are great (especially for dogs) but can get you in stamina trouble if abused.

mernst23

Finally beat the game with Ada, ugh, those last boss fights just kept going and going.

Started my 2nd playthrough for emblems/finishing on pro and finished Jake up last night. Chapter 2 and 3 are still terrible. 1 was slightly better now that I know the combat system. Either way, just need to beat the game on Pro with Chris and then I can just cherry pick what I need to play (amateur) for Ada and Leon to finish the emblems and then begins the skill points grind in mercs. I'm actually looking forward to that because the single player left such a bad taste in my mouth.

If you're playing it like RE5/Mercs 3D, then you shouldn't have a problem with stamina, as stamina only drains when you use melee without a prompt or do a quick shot.

There are ways to manage the stamina while focusing on melee:

Thanks for the advice :). I was probably relying on quick shot too much, now that I think about it (as a carryover from using it often in the campaign). I'll try to work on better management of that at the very least.

Gyrian

More handy bits on stamina:
• Using a single herb pill also refills stamina.
• Taunting (L2) refills stamina. (just make sure you're clear and know your character's taunt well)
• More of a last resort, but you can also drop to the ground and hold without motion a couple seconds for faster stamina refill.

Sectus

Doing steel beast solo again for the event. Got to 148 combo with boss still alive. I throw a flash. I prepare my magnum for shooting the boss. I melee an enemy.

... the melee kills 2 enemies. I weep T_T

Evolved1

"Gun shot + quickslide"

What's a hard stagger? Is this initiated by weakpoint shot followed by a slide into them?

Yeah, you spin/stun 'em with an arm/head shot and then slide into them to get them to double over... "hard stagger", "heavy stun", these are the same thing and just words I made up. Sorry if it was confusing. I'm not that fluent in RE mercs, maybe one of the vets should translate for me haha.

Actually you already did: "initiate [a] weakpoint shot followed by a slide into them"

That's what you do. One way, at least. As far as I know it requires the least stamina to do coupe de grace this way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, you spin/stun 'em with an arm/head shot and then slide into them to get them to double over... "hard stagger", "heavy stun", these are the same thing and just words I made up. Sorry if it was confusing. I'm not that fluent in RE mercs, maybe one of the vets should translate for me haha.

Actually you already did: "initiate [a] weakpoint shot followed by a slide into them"

That's what you do. One way, at least. As far as I know it requires the least stamina to do coupe de grace this way.

Didn't know that. Very interesting and useful. I'd been using the slide independently to get a regular stagger, but I didn't realize that you could work it with a gunshot for even more of a time bonus.

Evolved1

Didn't know that. Very interesting and useful. I'd been using the slide independently to get a regular stagger, but I didn't realize that you could work it with a gunshot for even more of a time bonus.

A certain number of coupe de grace kills are the requirement for the secret boss to spawn on some levels... so it's good to know how to easily set them up

Whew, just got 1198145 on Steel Beast solo.

No boss delay.

Was my first time playing this game in quite a while, haha.

I have been sucking so hard at solo mercs ever since having that one really good round that crash and burned on me in the final seconds. Just can't get out of my own way, combined with a healthy dose of Murphy's Law, has been a recipe for embarrassment and shame. :(

A certain number of coupe de grace kills are the requirement for the secret boss to spawn on some levels... so it's good to know how to easily set them up

I have been sucking so hard at solo mercs ever since having that one really good round that crash and burned on me in the final seconds. Just can't get out of my own way, combined with a healthy dose of Murphy's Law, has been a recipe for embarrassment and shame. :(

I only did it because Capcom reminded me on Facebook there was a Steel Beast event today. I haven't touched this game since before ACIII.

I was quite pleased to have a pretty good run on my first try after not playing the game in over two weeks.

I remember the last time I was trying Steel Beast I kept losing the combo in such stupid ways... and for some reason I kept getting to the end (130 ish kills) with no time left, whereas this time I had 3.5 minutes left still!

Maybe you're due for a break as well?

Gyrian

My personal solo best is somewhere around 600k in Urban Chaos, haha.
It seems like a random freak accident is always around the corner when your combo hits 75+.
Very addicting to learn the ins and outs of the stages and characters to edge a better score!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If you're not good at Mercenaries, Chris Chapter 5 is the easiest way.
Just run through the beginning of the level to the room with the switches and conveyor belts. Activate all switches, kill the enemies, collect all skill points and exit to the next room then quit back to the main menu and repeat.
That's approximately 20k skill points in ~10-15min.

Thanks. This helped a lot. I don't think I have the patience to play mercenaries. You have to be real good to get the most out of it where as with this, I can just get infinite shotgun and just start blowing stuff up until nothing is left.

GeekyDad

Thanks. This helped a lot. I don't think I have the patience to play mercenaries. You have to be real good to get the most out of it where as with this, I can just get infinite shotgun and just start blowing stuff up until nothing is left.

LOL

Yeah, the first time I played Mercs was back when RE4 came out, and it didn't click with me immediately. I found it to be very difficult. But I think it was mostly a matter of adjusting to the idea of a time limit. After a while, your play becomes more relaxed and it becomes more of an arcade experience. It might eventually click for you.

Sectus

Okay, phew. Finally got 150 combo plus boss kill on steal beast. Also delayed killing some of the napads with about 10 kills or so, but I dunno if that was worth it at all.

Top Bottom