• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have enjoyed the way this franchise continues to try new things. For that and $40 on amazon, I will embark on yet another Resident Evil melodrama. Looking forward to it!

Gave this a rental on 360. So far i'm at the subway part of Leon's campaign.

This is without doubt the worst game of 2012. This isn't some hyperbolic bash at the way the franchise has degraded, it is literally a horrendous experience. Stuff I don't like so far:

- Shooting feels weird, as if it's too rigid. If you compare it to Resi 4: that had far more limber aiming, and actually required skill because the sight swayed more. It was something that could be learned, exploited, and anticipated. It felt great once you could master where each bullet would go. In comparison, Resi 6 feels like every other stiff, generic third person shooter.
- Abysmal story. With the way it has unfolded - from the sudden opening, to the new character Helena appearing with no introduction, to the flashbacks - I have no idea what's going on except that everyone is infected for some reason. What is my main goal of the game? Why can't this dumb bitch just tell me what's going on? Why do we have to get to the cathedral?
- The game is horrible at building suspense. It tries to employ all these silly tropes like audio stingers and scary flashes of lightning, but it's all undermined by its very cliche nature and the mundanity of the objectives that accompany it.
- QTEs... HOLY FUCK I AM DROWNING IN THEM. These have been taken to a whole other level of unnecessary nonsense - you need a button to look around the car, then grab the keys, then turn the keys, then reverse, and then, and then. Ugh. A particular annoying one is needing to dodge the train in the subway - why do I still die even if i'm on the opposite track where the train can't hit me?
- Maybe i'm too used to PC gaming now, but the graphics are surprisingly poor outside of cutscenes. Marred in complete darkness, lots of jaggies, low resolution fire and depth of field effects, too much ugly bloomy lighting, and piles of stuff (eg. sandwiches, clothes, paper etc) that just look like piles of messy shit. Dodgy framerate too. Resident Evil 5 looked and ran better on consoles from what I remember.
- Why the hell can't I pause game? If this was some genius idea to build up suspense in the same manner as Dark Souls, it has backfired tremendously.

Funnily enough, the narrow FOV that everyone complains about isn't bothering me that much. It's everything else that cannot be fixed with a patch.

In any case, i'm considering returning the game already. Complete failure.

imtehman

Banned
yeah, i love this game, its a damn good time.

Crazy variety of enemies, awesome boss fights, levels that are different and varied, some parts of the game are absolutely beautiful. The cutscenes are great. Two player co-op makes it even better

I've had more fun with this game than games like uncharted 2.

Less QTEs, more exploration (finding keycards and backtracking) and better story in the next resident evil please

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
- Shooting feels weird, as if it's too rigid. If you compare it to Resi 4: that had far more limber aiming, and actually required skill because the sight swayed more. It was something that could be learned, exploited, and anticipated. It felt great once you could master where each bullet would go. In comparison, Resi 6 feels like every other stiff, generic third person shooter.

Try turning the sensitivity up. I thought the aiming was annoying when both the camera and aiming were at the default sensitivity, so I turned them both up and aiming feels better.

- Abysmal story. With the way it has unfolded - from the sudden opening, to the new character Helena appearing with no introduction, to the flashbacks - I have no idea what's going on except that everyone is infected for some reason. What is my main goal of the game? Why can't this dumb bitch just tell me what's going on? Why do we have to get to the cathedral?

LOL yeah that part is pretty dumb. The story kinda sorta gets better in the melodramatic RE style, but don't expect it to win any writing awards.

- The game is horrible at building suspense. It tries to employ all these silly tropes like audio stingers and scary flashes of lightning, but it's all undermined by its very cliche nature and the mundanity of the objectives that accompany it.

Agreed. The game isn't really scary at all, so just go into it expecting an action game rather than a horror game.

- QTEs... HOLY FUCK I AM DROWNING IN THEM. These have been taken to a whole other level of unnecessary nonsense - you need a button to look around the car, then grab the keys, then turn the keys, then reverse, and then, and then. Ugh. A particular annoying one is needing to dodge the train in the subway - why do I still die even if i'm on the opposite track where the train can't hit me?

That's the only really terrible QTE (that and a rope climbing one... if you get to it just remember you have to hold one of the triggers at all times). But for the train, if you're on the other track then you won't get hit. I always run to the other track and don't get squashed by the oncoming train, without having to input a QTE or anything.

- Maybe i'm too used to PC gaming now, but the graphics are surprisingly poor outside of cutscenes. Marred in complete darkness, lots of jaggies, low resolution fire and depth of field effects, too much ugly bloomy lighting, and piles of stuff (eg. sandwiches, clothes, paper etc) that just look like piles of messy shit. Dodgy framerate too. Resident Evil 5 looked and ran better on consoles from what I remember.

The lighting in the game is great, but the textures are ass. Next gen can't come soon enough.

- Why the hell can't I pause game? If this was some genius idea to build up suspense in the same manner as Dark Souls, it has backfired tremendously.

You're not playing it offline. If you set your game to offline you can pause, otherwise you can't (for obvious reasons).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Read 'em and weep boys!

2012-11-17211902.jpg

Other games that I also got:

• Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Wind Waker
  • Soul Calibur 2
  • Metroid Prime
  • Warioworld

The excitement to jump back in... I'm so giddy!

Edit: Fuck me, I need a Gamecube memory card to save anything? The Wii won't create a virtual memory card? ARGHH!!!

GeekyDad

Have to agree, unfortunately. Everything in this game is just wrong, awkward and broken.

"No Hope Left"

Interesting, considering how much time it seems you spend with the game and in this thread talking about it. Out of curiosity, how much time (including Mercs) would you say you've invested into RE6 thus far?

bumpkin

So I was going to post this in the code giveaway thread, but here would be more targeted... Does anyone want a code to redeem for the Catacombs map on Xbox 360? If so, PM me.

Gyrian

Mercenaries with a laggy partner can be super strange.
Like getting tripped and chomped on by a Zombie whose head you're already blown off.

mernst23

Finally finished everything except maxing out my skills for the full 1000. Should be a short combo of Mercs playing and Chris Chapter 5 grinding and it's finally over. ~40 hours invested into this game now.

Dreamer RD

Interesting, considering how much time it seems you spend with the game and in this thread talking about it. Out of curiosity, how much time (including Mercs) would you say you've invested into RE6 thus far?

210 hours (140 in mercs)
I was forced to play by friends lol.

joe2187

Banned
What is exactly in this December patch again?

- An adjustable camera option will be made available, allowing for a more sweeping view.

- New subtitles options

- A harder difficulty mode — “No Hope Left”

- Ada Wong’s campaign to be unlocked from the start of the game, and to have an optional co-operative character.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
- An adjustable camera option will be made available, allowing for a more sweeping view.

- New subtitles options

- A harder difficulty mode — “No Hope Left”

- Ada Wong’s campaign to be unlocked from the start of the game, and to have an optional co-operative character.

Hmmmmm. That doesn't seem so exciting.

Riposte

How do you make good use of Jake's hand to hand in The Mercenaries? Also Ada sucks right?

EDIT: Do you ever pick up more rockets as Samurai Chris?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do you make good use of Jake's hand to hand in The Mercenaries? Also Ada sucks right?

Nope, just the one. (His red RE.net outfit is pretty cool, my favorite alt)

Default Ada is like for the super-pros imo... she is maybe the hardest character to use.

Gyrian

Jake's hand to hand works best charged, but I'd say it's fairly limited use.
For every situation where it can come in handy (knocking something down fast), you're usually better off with other options.

Ada is difficult in that her loadout leaves little room for error.
Her machine pistol works well in most situations, but it won't perform a quick kill if you need to keep the combo alive in a panic. It can also eat up ammo very fast if you're not paying attention.
Now the bowgun is pretty great. The quick shot fire is very useful, and gets a free and fast bolt reload. Bowgun headshots are one hit kills on a good number of enemies (don't miss).
You're also given 30 explosive bolts to start, which can be very handy. They won't kill as fast as some of the other power weapons, but Ada still has it easier here than a few other characters (like say, alt Helena).

Pakkidis

Literally just started the game with Leon on professional difficulty. Did anybody do it on professional difficulty their first time, or should I start on a lower difficulty? Do upgrades/skills carry over between playthroughs?

So far I'm not feeling the game, seems like it took a few steps back. We need more exploration and less QTE in the future.

Ammo seems very scare, how should I approach combat in the game?

Literally just started the game with Leon on professional difficulty. Did anybody do it on professional difficulty their first time, or should I start on a lower difficulty? Do upgrades/skills carry over between playthroughs?

So far I'm not feeling the game, seems like it took a few steps back. We need more exploration and less QTE in the future.

I didn't do Pro my first time though, but aside from maybe ammo issues, Pro is much, much easier than RE5's Pro. Work on putting your money into the field medic skill and you're set. Skills/weapons carry over between playthroughs, but weapons for only the character that you were playing on as you unlocked them. So if you finish it with Leon, then decide to go do Chapter 5 with Helena, she'll only have the starting weapons.

As for conserving ammo, use melees as much as possible. It'll save you a lot of bullets, and overall it's more fun. Don't feel like you need to stock up on too much stuff though, as you start unlocking guns your inventory will fill up pretty fast so you'll end up just tossing lots of items later in the game. Probably the biggest waste of ammo on Pro is the bosses. They take tons of rounds before going down.

Gyrian

It takes a while for RE6 to click. First impression, I wasn't sold at all either.
Professional will probably feel unfair on a first time run. You will probably take a number of deaths that really only work once.
You may want to save it for when you're more familiar with what to expect from the game.

Evolved1

If your first run is with Leon and you're on Pro difficulty... get that break out skill straightaway.

It takes a while for RE6 to click. First impression, I wasn't sold at all either.
Professional will probably feel unfair on a first time run. You will probably take a number of deaths that really only work once.
You may want to save it for when you're more familiar with what to expect from the game.

Yeah, that's really good advice. There's a lot of cheap, 1-hit deaths that I got nailed with my first time though on Normal, but I avoided most on Pro because I was familiar with them. The checkpoints are so frequent though it's more of an annoyance than something that creates actual difficulty.

I didn't quite click for me at first either, but by the time I was finished with it I put over 70 hours into it and ended up loving it.

Riposte

Field medic ruins the game I say. This a co-op game so I recommend playing that way. Pro is the way to go for sure.

Also I think starting with Leon is a poor choice. He should be the last campaign IMO. (However I recommend doing the story order posted in the OP.)

EDIT: I see the population has died down a bit. Happens with every game but sad to see only one active Jake 3 room when at launch there was dozens. Seems like a game you need to go in with a friend, like RE5.

Colocho

Banned
Pardon my uselessness, but I remember a while back there was a thread explaing the controls and everything you could do in the game and I can't for the life of me find it again. I ask because I just got the game and I'd like to play it in the most efficient way as possible, Thanks.

kaioshade

I finished Chris' Campaign last night. Crazy amounts of enemies, and the final boss fight was entertaining, at least to me. My GF kept dying at the final chase (i think the death count was about 25 or so) but otherwise enjoyable enough. I have to say i do consider Chris' Campaign the weakest of the 3 so far i have played. I greatly enjoyed Jakes campaign (even the "horrible" Chapter 2)

Now for the December patch so i can do the 4th one co-op

Pakkidis

Thanks for all the advice, however I decided to start over on normal. I was dying way too many times on Pro.

This game is REALLY starting to grow on me. The games starts off bad, but it is really starting to pick up and feel a bit more Resident Evil like even though that's not saying much.

A few things piss me off though. First off, I hate how zombies lying on the ground are "inactive" and shooting them seems to do nothing at all. Only when you advance far enough/collect an item do they spring to life and grab you with no chance at all to defend yourself. It is such a cheap ineffective way to cause grievance to the player.

What ever happened to puzzle solving in RE games? It seems like with every new game puzzle solving becomes more streamlined to the point where it actually tells you what to do. For example
it the cathedral their is a clue to ring the bells in order to advance, helena says "I wonder what we have to do?" and then 'Ring 5 bells" flashes on the screen! REALLY!?!?!, I know the clue was obvious but the game has to literately tell you what to do and so far its been like that the whole game.

I'm really enjoying it even though their are times it is a bit frustrating, I finished chapter 1 and it feels like I'm about to finish chapter 2. As for skills, I went with critical precision, increase item drop, and zombie hunter.....I have no clue what I'm doing :p

Mit-

Ending spoilers:
So is the post-credits video of Jake in some desert town a teaser for future DLC? If so, I am not excited.

Gyrian

My GF kept dying at the final chase (i think the death count was about 25 or so)

I've died an embarrassing amount of times in this sequence. It felt like there was zero breathing room, plus a 50% chance that AI Piers was not going to pull me up just because. In my S-rank pro run, I was basically raging, haha.

A few things piss me off though. First off, I hate how zombies lying on the ground are "inactive" and shooting them seems to do nothing at all. Only when you advance far enough/collect an item do they spring to life and grab you with no chance at all to defend yourself. It is such a cheap ineffective way to cause grievance to the player.

I felt the same way until I realized that it's possible to dive or roll out of the way. It's still cheap, but I suppose they just can't resist planting bodies and leave you wondering if you will get attacked when you don't expect it.

What ever happened to puzzle solving in RE games?

Streamlined away with increased focus on action. They're not completely gone, though (you'll see ahead).

As for skills, I went with critical precision, increase item drop, and zombie hunter.....I have no clue what I'm doing :p

I did my first run mostly ignoring these; none of them is truly essential, more of a cherry on top.
If you care to get the trophies, I suggest you spend your points in the skills that have different levels first.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone is playing Pro solo, then equip Field Medic Level 2 and set your AI buddy to "follow." You will never die, since every time you enter the dying state your buddy heals half your health. It was pretty hilarious fighting some of the bosses, I would just stand in front of their face and wail on them with my gun, and every time I went down I would get right back up.

Evolved1

If anyone is playing Pro solo, then equip Field Medic Level 2 and set your AI buddy to "follow." You will never die, since every time you enter the dying state your buddy heals half your health. It was pretty hilarious fighting some of the bosses, I would just stand in front of their face and wail on them with my gun, and every time I went down I would get right back up.

you're back...

Pakkidis

Just completed Leon' story. WOW, game REALLY picks up. This game started off pretty bland but I am really starting to enjoy it now. I don't understand the hate, it feels just like every other Resident Evil out there. Is it just extreme internet hyperbole as usual?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed Leon' story. WOW, game REALLY picks up. This game started off pretty bland but I am really starting to enjoy it now. I don't understand the hate, it feels just like every other Resident Evil out there. Is it just extreme internet hyperbole as usual?

Pretty much. Although I do understand where a lot of the complaints come from. I did really enjoy the game though.

Sectus

I've found Jake's hand to hand to be mostly good for very specific things. For instance, he can get a one-hit melee kill using a quickshot or charged attack against the explodemons (can't remember their real name), and then do a backflip (hold left stick back and press A after doing melee attack) to avoid damage. He can also do a quickshot against the flying javo to one-hit melee kill them. I haven't tested it, but his melees might be good against the zombie dogs too.

Ada1 is really hard to use. This sounds weird, but I'm gonna say her machine pistol is her best weapon. Getting melee kills with her crossbow is slow and awkward (the only reliable way is quickshot+melee, which is not effective). The crossbow seems mostly good as a power weapon (headshots should always kill zombies/javo, and her explosive bolts are really powerful), but in mercenaries that's not what you wanna use since you're aiming for melee kills.

Same as all the power weapons (hydra, magnums, materiel rifle and explosive bolts), you never pick up ammo for Chris' rocket launcher.

Melee, melee, and melee! Also make sure to experiment with the dodge system as that's very useful to avoid taking damage.

I played through the game on pro the first time and it's very doable. It's MUCH easier than pro mode in RE5. I highly recommend playing with a friend though. And try to save ammo if you can. In some chapters it might feel unnecessary to save ammo as you'll find so much of it, but there's some boss fights where a ton of ammo is really useful to have.

Riposte

This brokeness is why I say the game should be played co-op.

Gyrian

I wonder if No Hope difficulty will curb that loophole?
They could do something really evil, like turn off the dying state altogether.

Kajiba

Started playing Re6 for like two/three hours now. I'm enjoying the game alot. The only thing bothering me is the camera a little bit. Other than that I'm having fun playing the game.

Gyrian

The camera will feel better the more you play it, but it truly isn't very good.
Looking forward to the ability to tweak it in the upcoming update. :)

Kajiba

The camera will feel better the more you play it, but it truly isn't very good.
Looking forward to the ability to tweak it in the upcoming update. :)

After I played a couple of more hours of the game the camera didn't bother me as much as before. But man is this game fun. I really enjoyed leons first chapter alot. Alot of crazy stuff going on.

Pakkidis

Ok, just completed Chris's storyline. This game is a lot of fun. I can't believe people are saying this game is bad, I'm just not seeing it. Granted, their are a few low points here and there and the over use of QTE's are a bit of a turnoff, but this game is just ridiculously fun and over the top. If you liked RE4 and 5 I find it hard to believe you won't enjoy this.

How often do we get a third person shooting game, with 4 separate storylines long enough in some cases to be their own game, along with mercenaries mode and agent hunt mode.

Can't wait to start Jake's story.

Top Bottom