• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, just completed Chris's storyline. This game is a lot of fun. I can't believe people are saying this game is bad, I'm just not seeing it. Granted, their are a few low points here and there and the over use of QTE's are a bit of a turnoff, but this game is just ridiculously fun and over the top. If you liked RE4 and 5 I find it hard to believe you won't enjoy this.

How often do we get a third person shooting game, with 4 separate storylines long enough in some cases to be their own game, along with mercenaries mode and agent hunt mode.

Can't wait to start Jake's story.

Glad to see people are playing the game for themselves and enjoying it. I definitely had tons of fun with it, and look forward to going back to it after the camera update to get the rest of my Achievements.

Also Jake's campaign is really fun, enjoy.

Gyrian

After I played a couple of more hours of the game the camera didn't bother me as much as before. But man is this game fun. I really enjoyed leons first chapter alot. Alot of crazy stuff going on.

I was reminded of Resident Evil Outbreak a lot from the middle of Leon 1 all the way to the cathedral in Leon 2. Those survivors randomly yelling expletives felt straight out of Outbreak's chatter!
Not a coincidence, either, considering who worked on this. The scenario structure is also derived from Outbreak. I'd love to see it make a comeback.
A lot of the weak spots it had are not really a concern with current technology.

Here's a random discovery I made while trying out the Jake 1 event. Not sure if it's exactly new, but I certainly hadn't noticed this before. If you're attached to a door waiting for your partner, pressing circle calls out to them with more urgency each time (not new); but if you press and hold circle, your viewpoint changes to your partner's as they make their way in! (wat)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was reminded of Resident Evil Outbreak a lot from the middle of Leon 1 all the way to the cathedral in Leon 2. Those survivors randomly yelling expletives felt straight out of Outbreak's chatter!
Not a coincidence, either, considering who worked on this. The scenario structure is also derived from Outbreak. I'd love to see it make a comeback.
A lot of the weak spots it had are not really a concern with current technology.

Here's a random discovery I made while trying out the Jake 1 event. Not sure if it's exactly new, but I certainly hadn't noticed this before. If you're attached to a door waiting for your partner, pressing circle calls out to them with more urgency each time (not new); but if you press and hold circle, your viewpoint changes to your partner's as they make their way in! (wat)

I've played this game for over 50 hours and I did not know this. Damn.

Mit-

I've had a few moments that have made me appreciate the controls and gameplay in this game. There's just so much that now infuriates me even more when replaying campaigns.

I am now convinced that games should NEVER wrestle control of the camera away from you. Start a cutscene, or leave me in control of the camera.

Freeze the enemies during cutscenes, or leave a period of invulnerability when you return me to gameplay, assholes. I can't count the number of times I've been finally given back control of my character, only to be surrounded by multiple enemies, half of which are mid-animation to kicking my ass.

Make the rolls more effective. Invulnerability or reduced hitbox size or however it works, kicks in too late. Some boss fights are infuriating. It shouldn't be difficult to dodge a very clearly telegraphed attack that you are supposed to roll under, when you see it coming and are patiently waiting to execute your dodge. They have to be done a certain amount of time before the attack reaches you so that your body is actually as low to the ground as possible, and so that you don't rise from the animation too fast (in the case that you don't want to lie on the ground for a long time).

Also if you're cornered by enemies it's very difficult to roll out (such as when, oh, I don't know, they showed a cutscene while 5 enemies were approaching me and now they're 1 foot away and I'm in a corner). Your roll still collides and stops when it hits an enemy, and most of the enemies attack low enough to hit you while you're rolling anyways.

But, all rants aside, I have a firm handle on the melee in this game right now (although I just discovered stunning someone with a quick shot, then head-shotting them = unique animation--TOSS DAT ASS with Chris. I only knew about stun > slide into enemy), and enemy encounters are usually a lot of fun now that I feel in full control of this game. The story elements and camera wrestling and forced walking just drive me insane.

Jawmuncher

So was wondering is the DLC for Mercs region free? I finally got my German CE in and playing the game is all in English. I'm assuming the game chooses language and other stuff based on your options and profile.

Anyway I bought a map to test but I need to beat the game apparently for Mercs ( thought it was unlocked from the start)

Sectus

I think DLC is region free on xbox 360, and region locked on PS3.

It's weird mercs mode is locked for you. It's supposed to be unlocked from the get go. I've only heard of one other guy with the same problem. Maybe the German version specifically is like that?

Jawmuncher

I think DLC is region free on xbox 360, and region locked on PS3.

It's weird mercs mode is locked for you. It's supposed to be unlocked from the get go. I've only heard of one other guy with the same problem. Maybe the German version specifically is like that?

I'm guessing so then.
It specifically says beat all campaigns to unlock Mercs which I thought was weird.

Was going to do all my Mercs playing on 360 anyway just wanted to test it out for testing outs sake. Mainly since I'm just planning ahead if they do any DLC like lost in nightmares or something.
Though at that point I'd just buy a US copy

Sectus

Apparently there's a map pack release for RE6 on the 4th. I guess it's 2 of the remaining maps. Or it could be a bundle of the pre order maps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How long after RE5 did it take them to release REunion and the Jill missions?

I'm just thinking it's kind of weird we haven't heard anything about real DLC.

Sectus

How long after RE5 did it take them to release REunion and the Jill missions?

I'm just thinking it's kind of weird we haven't heard anything about real DLC.

One year. We heard about the Gold Edition stuff about 6 months after the release of RE5. I don't think we'll hear anything about real DLC for RE6 in a long time, if at all. With RE6 being a smaller success than anticipated, I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see less support for the game.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clESB27d1ak - Mining the Depths solo as Sherry1

That's my run for the RE.net event yesterday. I didn't do as well as I had hoped. I aimed to kill secret boss as final enemy, but I couldn't manage to keep the combo alive for that. Not playing mercenaries for about a week probably made me a bit rusty.

Gyrian

At least you're getting to 150, haha.
I gave it a honest try last night and got to a 130 combo as my best run. It's amazing how many different ways there are for a Mercs run to fall apart in a flash!
I wasn't much constrained by time, but instead experienced all kind of of combo interrupting accidents.

I'll be genuinely surprised if Capcom doesn't put out a RE6 1.5 somewhere down the road. This is Capcom, this is what they do.
Even Dragon's Dogma is getting its minor expansion on disc, and that's the least successful big bet they've had in a while.
For my part, I'd be insanely happy with a proper Mercs expansion.

Pakkidis

Just completed the entire campaign. Really enjoyed the game, but it does have a lot of weak points. I get the feeling that if this game was released 4 years earlier, it would be considered a good game.

Facism

Been playing coop with my brother. Leon's campaign needed to be the entire game. Just finished Chris' and bloody hell complete fucking torture and tedium, not to mention often cheap, to play through. The last chapter is especially terrible.

DR2K

Banned
Been playing through Leon's campaign so far and I'm having a blast. The game is fun, challanging, looks great, and the sotry is somewhat interesting. Needs more Jill.

cvxfreak

Been playing through Leon's campaign so far and I'm having a blast. The game is fun, challanging, looks great, and the sotry is somewhat interesting. Needs more Jill.

I agree with this post.

The world was ending and she decided to stay at home.

*hopes for Jill DLC*

Gyrian

The world was ending and she decided to stay at home.

Maybe she was embarrassed that her hair color hadn't returned to normal yet.
I don't know what grudge Capcom's holding against Claire, either. Brother gone for a half a year, barely a peep.

Send us both to Mercenaries at least, and all's forgiven.

bumpkin

So I finally managed to wrap up Jake's campaign over the weekend. I'm not sure if Jake's campaign is just better than Leon's or Chris', or that I finally came to terms with what I felt was "wrong" about the game. I vaguely recall a lot of chatter earlier in the thread about a particular part of Jake's campaign being an exercise in frustration (something about a climb?), but I didn't encounter any such problems... I actually kind of liked the twist in the final boss fight
with Jake basically saying screw it, let's fight mano-e-mano to Ustanak. It was like finally, he's using the strength/power we know he probably has via Wesker's blood.

Next up, Ada's campaign. Is it wrong that I hope it's not as long as any of the others? I just want to get the sweet bounty of skill unlocks that finishing everything opens up.

...but seriously though, what the fuck is with the ridiculous prices on each of them? And why are they all separate? :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Jake's campaign was easily the best in the game, with by far the best final boss fight. Plus the dynamic between Jake and Sherry was pretty damn great. Ada's campaign is pretty short; you should be able to beat each level in 30-45 mins IIRC.

Best way to get skill points is from Mercenaries honestly. Play an hour or two of Mercs and you'll be rolling in more skill points than you'll know what to do with.

Gyrian

So it's essentially confirmed that we're getting new Mercs maps tomorrow?
A little more detail would be nice, same with the upcoming patch. I swear this stuff will just drop in surprise style, making a handful of people very happy and keeping everyone else indifferent.

mernst23

I thought Jake's campaign was easily the best in the game, with by far the best final boss fight. Plus the dynamic between Jake and Sherry was pretty damn great. Ada's campaign is pretty short; you should be able to beat each level in 30-45 mins IIRC.

Best way to get skill points is from Mercenaries honestly. Play an hour or two of Mercs and you'll be rolling in more skill points than you'll know what to do with.

Chris chapter 5 method gets you 18-19k in 9-10 minutes.

Gyrian

Nice! The description on Requiem for War promises and Ogroman, too.
Curious to see how this guy can work into a Mercs match.

Sectus

Dreamer RD

Gonna try when it hits EU PSN.
Already available on JP by the way.
I want that wallpaper

110204-0231.mp4_snapshot_00.05-2012.12.04_17.39.15.png

Sectus

That's a nice render. I wonder if it's available anywhere else. I can remember RE5 DLC got some unique renders just for the PSN store, so it could be exclusive.

And holy crap the new PSN store interface is awful. I had to dig around to find the "new addons" category.

Do you know when EU PSN usually updates with new content?

Kajiba

I just beat chris and jakes chapters.

Omg at Chris's ending =(. Jakes ending was fun as hell though.

All thats left is leon.

Sectus

Yay at getting 150 combo at Requiem For War! Boo at not noticing I wasn't online so I couldn't send my score to the leaderboards!

The ogroman boss isn't that tricky if you're able to stun him. The special melee against him is long, but it seems to always kill him. So setting that up seems to be the easiest way to deal with him.

I'm definitely inclined to agree. His final bossfight was just satisfying and not annoyingly puzzling. I didn't feel like an idiot going through it and like I was being punished like the other 2 boss fights.
Honestly can't say any of the campaigns takes the lead though as they all have some problems.

Leon's Ch1. one just isn't replay material. Catacombs are dullsville as are alot of the character beats overall.

Chris' chapters have serious pacing issues. They go on for way to long with little narrative development. Just countless enemies that waterdown the experience. His vehicle segments are fucking ass.

Jake's Ch2 needs to be buried under the ocean.

Ada's vehicle segments are fucking stooopid as well

can't see at work =(

So yeah, very uneven yet I still love this son of a bitch, lol

Gyrian

Onslaught looks pretty fun! Kind of reminds me of competitive Tetris, sending your rows all at once to your opponent.
Predator could be epic, but I hope it scales well to whatever player count is available.
Survivors is the least interesting to me, but I do appreciate the enemy mechanic they've thrown in.

If it were up to me, I'd have released one of these modes each week two weeks past launch.
It's a shame to have these modes become available only now that a good number of people have already checked out from RE6.

EDIT: Wow, if anyone's looking for a wallpaper material, Capcom Unity has thrown in a ridiculously high-res version of the extra content render.

Daigoro

yeah new music sounds great. Onslaught looks crazy as hell.

cant wait for the title update. guess i should buy this new Map Pack as well.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
My copy of the game just arrived. If anyone wants to play Mercs with a noob, or go through the Sherry & Jake campaign (without infinite ammo, and watching cutscenes, lol) with me, message me at Pak38 and mention GAF. I'm on the East Coast if connection matters.

Hope to play the DLC modes with you guys in the future!

This would make such a badass poster
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/go/gallery/item/141565357
Full res is huge 10240x5760!

Resident Evil 6 artworks comes out next month.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10208712

Knowing Udon they will probably bring this book on over stateside so I'll probably wait till they release it.

Yeah, I bought Art of Resident Evil 5 when they released it stateside. Hopefully they'll do the same here.

Is the RE6 hardcover strategy guide worth it? I purchased it for RE5 back in the day so just figured I would follow suit again.

Top Bottom