• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Gyrian

Ogroman is pretty reasonable in Requiem for War. When he turns up, he'll probably have to take your attention unless you hang out in the underground. It only takes one melee cycle to kill him (+5 seconds), but there's almost exactly just enough time to do that while still in combo. Stun him, then quickly kill any J'avo you have near before you run up to start the melee sequence.

Sectus

Is the RE6 hardcover strategy guide worth it? I purchased it for RE5 back in the day so just figured I would follow suit again.
It's really really bad. I bought it because I had hoped it'd have some of the stuff from RE5: specifically an interview with the developers, a look at prototypes and very detailed stats about enemies and mercs stages. It doesn't have any of that.

The only useful info I got from the guide is that it has stats for weapons, and it has move lists for when you play as the creatures (there's a bunch of moves I wasn't aware of), but besides that, it's really bad. Even as a normal guide (which we don't need obviously) is just depressing. It's got stuff like repeating to you that you have to press a button to open doors, it recommends skipping the first batch of zombies in the university because they're too risky to deal with (which is just absurd advice) and the mercenaries part of the guide is just embarassing. The guide author obviously didn't have a clue how to play mercs properly in an attempt to get high scores.

I'm especially disappointed it doesn't include any detailed stats for mercs stages, as the info from the RE5 guide ended up being very useful for modding.

Gyrian

Here's my 150 combo solo run on Requiem for War as Sherry1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lot_dcF6UM

It took less tries than I expected (the run can be greatly improved though). Once you find a reliable way to deal with the ogroman, it doesn't feel very different from doing something like high seas.

Nice! I'm curious to see how you and other Mercs players will take on Liquid Fire.
I haven't put enough time into it yet, but it seemed a harder map to me for finding a good main arena to fight in, as well as getting a constant flow of enemies.

Bollocks

aw man, here I was hoping for the patch to come live this week, but December 18th? Fuck this shit, what is taking them so long?
It went gold a month before release (supposedly) and they need 3 months to deliver a simple patch?

Sectus

aw man, here I was hoping for the patch to come live this week, but December 18th? Fuck this shit, what is taking them so long?
It went gold a month before release (supposedly) and they need 3 months to deliver a simple patch?

I got a feeling finishing up the multiplayer modes is what took the most time. Adding the weeks long certifications with microsoft and sony certainly can't help.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Finished Sherry & Jake's campaign; overall, I quite enjoyed it, but man, I don't know if I'm just bad at the game or if they built it this way, but I was managing my health tablets and juggling weapon ammo all the way up to the end. Never had that feeling through RE5; you just reach a point in that one where you have a good stash of both. If it was a design decision, then I give Capcom props for it (I tried not to waste ammo and used melees as much as possible too). I think Chapter 2 may be my favourite, and fuck those things in Chapter 5. Some of those insta-death QTEs were bullshit too, and I'm super glad I read the hints about QTEs (and PSA), thanks go out to the folks in this thread.

As a huge fan of RE5's Mercs (and the mode in its every iteration), I thought it would take a bit more time before this happened, but I think I'm already appreciating this one more. That Sherry
EX
loadout is just too much fun, and Chris is a beast too.

Krelian

A friend and I bought the PS3 version to play co-op recently. Unfortunately we have constant connection problems. The first time we played we had to try a couple of times until one of us could join the other's game. Today it worked on the first attempt but later in the game my friend got disconnected. After that we couldn't join each other's sessions anymore, no matter what we tried (included disconnecting from PSN a couple of times, changing router ports etc.).

The message is always the same: Failed to join game session.

What's the matter here? It's actually the first time I've played online via PSN, I usually play with my Xbox. Is it always this unreliable? It's extremely frustrating :(

Sectus

A friend and I bought the PS3 version to play co-op recently. Unfortunately we have constant connection problems. The first time we played we had to try a couple of times until one of us could join the other's game. Today it worked on the first attempt but later in the game my friend got disconnected. After that we couldn't join each other's sessions anymore, no matter what we tried (included disconnecting from PSN a couple of times, changing router ports etc.).

The message is always the same: Failed to join game session.

What's the matter here? It's actually the first time I've played online via PSN, I usually play with my Xbox. Is it always this unreliable? It's extremely frustrating :(
Sounds like a NAT related issue. Dunno how you'd go about fixing it though. I haven't had any connection problems with the game myself.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
If anyone wants to play some Duo Mercs on PSN, send me a message at Pak38. I'm just practising in Solo at the moment.

It's really really bad. I bought it because I had hoped it'd have some of the stuff from RE5: specifically an interview with the developers, a look at prototypes and very detailed stats about enemies and mercs stages. It doesn't have any of that.

The only useful info I got from the guide is that it has stats for weapons, and it has move lists for when you play as the creatures (there's a bunch of moves I wasn't aware of), but besides that, it's really bad. Even as a normal guide (which we don't need obviously) is just depressing. It's got stuff like repeating to you that you have to press a button to open doors, it recommends skipping the first batch of zombies in the university because they're too risky to deal with (which is just absurd advice) and the mercenaries part of the guide is just embarassing. The guide author obviously didn't have a clue how to play mercs properly in an attempt to get high scores.

I'm especially disappointed it doesn't include any detailed stats for mercs stages, as the info from the RE5 guide ended up being very useful for modding.

damn!

thanks man!

so, did I just read that the multiplayer modes are gonna be 360 (timed for undefined time) exclusive?

Do capcom really think when doing such things? we were sold the game on a platform expecting something to be toyed with after?

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-tNAbWCAc - 150 combo on Liquid Fire solo as Sherry1. I'm not sure how many people know of this, but you can knock the raskaplanja into the lava, which makes the stage a LOT easier to handle.

By the way, ogromen, raskanplanja and mesets all count as secret boss kills when it comes to combo (which makes it extra weird how whoppers is the only boss type which doesn't count). They've got a base score of 5000 except for the mesets which have a base score of 1500.

The proper way to do melees: http://www.abload.de/img/re6-requiem-150combo-u7u7i.gif

so, did I just read that the multiplayer modes are gonna be 360 (timed for undefined time) exclusive?

Do capcom really think when doing such things? we were sold the game on a platform expecting something to be toyed with after?

This was announced back in September so it was known before the game was released. Unfortunately, deals with this aren't uncommon. Assassin's Creed 3 recently got PS3 exclusive missions, which will stay exclusive forever.

Gyrian

I'm not sure how many people know of this, but you can knock the raskaplanja into the lava, which makes the stage a LOT easier to handle.

Conan-RE6-thumbsup.gif

How difficult did you find Liquid Fire vs. other stages?
I haven't gotten a chance to try it again yet, but I left with the impression that this was looking like one of the toughest ones.

Krelian

Sounds like a NAT related issue. Dunno how you'd go about fixing it though. I haven't had any connection problems with the game myself.
NAT type is 2, that should be fine as far as I know. The connection test says that my router doesn't support IP fragments, though. It's the only explanation I could see... but I can't seem to correct this problem. Could that be it?

What gets me though is that it used to work up until a certain point. The connection issues are seemingly arbitrary.

Sectus

How difficult did you find Liquid Fire vs. other stages?
I haven't gotten a chance to try it again yet, but I left with the impression that this was looking like one of the toughest ones.
Initially it felt harder due to the rasklapanjes (one of these days I'll type their name correctly), but it's much easier after figuring out how to deal with them. It's probably still one of the harder maps though. The map has absurd potential for weird scoring tactics, since there's many enemies which count towards the boss combo bonus.

Make sure not to miss another great batch of high-res RE6 artwork, courtesy of Agent_4Seven.

There's some character renders, plus nice wallpaper material from the new batch of MP DLC.

Those are some really nice renders. You say "another" batch. Has there been other posts like this? Edit: I found the other posts.

NAT type is 2, that should be fine as far as I know. The connection test says that my router doesn't support IP fragments, though. It's the only explanation I could see... but I can't seem to correct this problem. Could that be it?

What gets me though is that it used to work up until a certain point. The connection issues are seemingly arbitrary.

Yeah, I dunno what could be wrong. I had one connection problem earlier when I tried to set up a "story intersection" with a friend, but we can still play just fine together using invites. I have heard of a few other people getting similar problems with the game losing connection almost all the time, but I don't think they ever posted a solution to their problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-tNAbWCAc - 150 combo on Liquid Fire solo as Sherry1. I'm not sure how many people know of this, but you can knock the raskaplanja into the lava, which makes the stage a LOT easier to handle.

By the way, ogromen, raskanplanja and mesets all count as secret boss kills when it comes to combo (which makes it extra weird how whoppers is the only boss type which doesn't count). They've got a base score of 5000 except for the mesets which have a base score of 1500.

The proper way to do melees: http://www.abload.de/img/re6-requiem-150combo-u7u7i.gif

This was announced back in September so it was known before the game was released. Unfortunately, deals with this aren't uncommon. Assassin's Creed 3 recently got PS3 exclusive missions, which will stay exclusive forever.

Yeah I read that too after. Shit thing is the fact they announced the modes as resident evil dlc, with videos and information, but it wasn't that clear that they were exclusive. if it is clearly stated with "only on" as a mark on the videos/information, it would be way more clear.

I just hope the exclusivity doesnt last long. I WANTED those modes.

Krelian

Yeah, I dunno what could be wrong. I had one connection problem earlier when I tried to set up a "story intersection" with a friend, but we can still play just fine together using invites. I have heard of a few other people getting similar problems with the game losing connection almost all the time, but I don't think they ever posted a solution to their problem.
At least I know now that PSN is not as unreliable as I was led to believe at first. I'll try to get rid of the IP fragment warning, hopefully it'll work more consistently then. Thanks :)

maomaoIYP

So....I managed to get a free copy yesterday after deciding not to purchase it based on the demo. It sure as hell isn't old school RE survival horror anymore but DAMN it's quite an amazing action game. Loving every moment, and especially mercenaries mode.

So....I managed to get a free copy yesterday after deciding not to purchase it based on the demo. It sure as hell isn't old school RE survival horror anymore but DAMN it's quite an amazing action game. Loving every moment, and especially mercenaries mode.

Darn. Lucky you. I caved and bought it despite all my misgivings.

Just finished Leon's story and I found it a tad frustrating so had to switch to easy. It was an enjoyable experience from then on. The only complaints I have are the really annoying in-vehicle QTE segments and that there was a bit too much action-movie moments in it. WOuld've preferred more exploration. I don't think I read one note or file during my play. Missed that. The new moves were kinda nice, and I really liked that nothing about the locations reminded me of 4/5, everything was new and highly detailed. But what's up with giving Ada an anime face and C-cups?

Then I spoiled myself on the whole story because I'm not about to play the other characters anytime soon (hated their parts in the demo), and one thing really funny about it is the whole underlying cause for the events in the game: Skinner was a
horny bastard who wanted Ada, lol

Facism

after finishing the game, it's nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews, but it isn't brilliant, either. There's a diamond of a game under the piles of cheap shit that consist of terrible AI, crap vehicle sections, terrible story, terrible bosses and Chris' campaign.

I would have loved it if they set the whole game in Tall Oaks, really fleshed it out some more. We could have had racoon city 2.0 with the new controls, decent graphics and enemies. This global scale that they introduced had some interesting locales, but all the time i was playing i wished i was still shooting zombies and their altenatives in Leon's campaign.

It honestly felt there were a number of "chefs" directing this game. The one who's responsible for the vehicle sections, chris' last chapter and Texas Chainsaw Massacre Nemesis needs a slap.

^Now that you mentioned it, yeah, none of Leon's bosses were memorable. Then again same goes for RE5. RE4... now those were some scary bosses, and great intros for them.

Bladenic

I don't think any one character's story had better bosses than another because they each had some great bosses but also some clunkers. I do think the Ustanak encounters were the most memorable though.

maomaoIYP

Darn. Lucky you. I caved and bought it despite all my misgivings.

Just finished Leon's story and I found it a tad frustrating so had to switch to easy. It was an enjoyable experience from then on. The only complaints I have are the really annoying in-vehicle QTE segments and that there was a bit too much action-movie moments in it. WOuld've preferred more exploration. I don't think I read one note or file during my play. Missed that. The new moves were kinda nice, and I really liked that nothing about the locations reminded me of 4/5, everything was new and highly detailed. But what's up with giving Ada an anime face and C-cups?

Then I spoiled myself on the whole story because I'm not about to play the other characters anytime soon (hated their parts in the demo), and one thing really funny about it is the whole underlying cause for the events in the game: Skinner was a
horny bastard who wanted Ada, lol

I finished Leon's campaign last night and started on Chris'. All I can say is ugh.

Gyrian

Posted 17 and a half minutes total for the Ada 1 event that's currently running.
Hope that finishes decent. I somehow made around 600th with my really sad Mining the Depths score, haha.

XPE

My god this game WANTS people to hate it

After that god awful boss fight in the plane
the scene when it crashed
my games save file got corrupted! now it reloads to before the boss fight but now I have no grenades!

Does it get any better than this, are the Chris or Jake campaigns any better?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My god this game WANTS people to hate it

After that god awful boss fight in the plane
the scene when it crashed
my games save file got corrupted! now it reloads to before the boss fight but now I have no grenades!

Does it get any better than this, are the Chris or Jake campaigns any better?

The game only saves your progress after loading screens, not at every checkpoint. You will see a typewriter on the top left that says "saving."

Jake's campaign is my favorite. Leon's campaign has the most annoying bosses. Chris' campaign has the most annoying chapter (Chapter 4 - although lots of people in here love it).

XPE

Well thats 6 hours of my life pissed away it says I need to delete my save file because it is corrupt =(

Do the campaigns story’s all run concurrently or one after the other?

AceOcelot

Just played Leon's part in the demo and I'm sold... Looks so sexy. Probably gonna ask for it as a christmas gift, haha.

To those of you guys that have it, what's it like? Good replay value?

What are your thoughts, GAF?

maomaoIYP

Jake's campaign is the best followed by Leon's. Chris' is all kinds of terrible. And mercenaries is pretty damn addictive, if frustrating at times.

So I have an account exclusively for Tekken Tag 2 so that I don't interfere with my brother's account (which we share) while he is playing online. While I was signed into my tekken account I accidentally booted up RE6 instead of Tekken and now I've got a fresh 0% on trophies. I already got the platinum on my bro's account but now I'm tempted to run it back on mines. It's gonna suck trying go get Chris' and Ada's hidden trophies again =(

Nori Chan

So I have an account exclusively for Tekken Tag 2 so that I don't interfere with my brother's account (which we share) while he is playing online. While I was signed into my tekken account I accidentally booted up RE6 instead of Tekken and now I've got a fresh 0% on trophies. I already got the platinum on my bro's account but now I'm tempted to run it back on mines. It's gonna suck trying go get Chris' and Ada's hidden trophies again =(
I know on Xbox you can delete a game in your game history if you have 0/50 achievements or 0 achievements on it

Gyrian

I've passed the 100H mark, and still play Mercenaries pretty regularly. It's easily paid off for me.

The game has a few boneheaded design choices and does a rather poor job of explaining how to play it / discover what's new, but it's rather great once it's clicked. The amount of content is pretty ridiculous, and the production values are way up there. It's also mechanically the best playing of the action-y Resident Evils, though the campaign doesn't always play to that advantage.

If you get it for Christmas, it would mean you get to do your first run with the tweaked camera that'll be patched in next week. :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just played Leon's part in the demo and I'm sold... Looks so sexy. Probably gonna ask for it as a christmas gift, haha.

What are your thoughts, GAF?

This game does not have a "GAF consensus" as one would say, since it's so dividing. Some people love Jake's campaign (me), some people think it's terrible. A lot of people love Ada's campaign, others think it's terrible (me). Some people really enjoy the mechanics and some people despise them.

As far as my opinion, I absolutely adored the game. I really enjoyed the demo, and honestly the demo shows off some of the most boring parts of the game. I've put in no less than 50 hours into this game, and I'm still planning to go back once the camera fix drops to scoop up some more achievements. I would suggest it if you enjoyed the demo, since it only gets better in the full game.

BTW Mercenaries is one of the most addictive game types ever created by man.

AceOcelot

As far as this camera fix, will we be able to choose between both? Or is the fix permanent?

Cause so far, it looks like I prefer the original... contributes more to the horror / limited view feel

Top Bottom