• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Can't believe I've played this game for upwards of 50 hours and:

I never knew if you slide into a hole, you'll automatically go down into it. No having to press button prompt

Fucking awesome...

maomaoIYP

People aren't abusing the jake melee stun for Ustank? Or the bolt action glitch?
The jake melee stun is his unarmed quick attack + combo? Ustanak is really hard to stun, I've been running with Jake + the increased melee damage skill, it works great only if Ustanak isn't paying attention. Jake's melee attacks is totally abusable in survivors though. Hide in a small room, wait for dudes with guns to find you, and then DESTROY THEM.

What's the bolt action glitch?

I never noticed that. You lose the entire multiplier when getting a 30 combo but keep it if you send enemies manually?

Yeah. I think the damage multiplier stops at 300%, at that stage you can destroy most normal enemies with 2 melee attacks. The time frame to keep the combo is also a lot shorter than in mercs, so it helps a lot. I've also tried playing with quite a few characters, so the key to winning seems to be picking someone who has a primary weapon that isn't a pistol, say alt Sherry, who gets the bear commander and assault shotgun. Once the sludged enemies spawn you can just mow them down very quickly with 300% damage and an assault rifle.

Nori Chan

Survivors is pretty stupid. Especially with the shitty controls and nothing being explained like how one shotgun kills you and a mine bomb can take your health down if you're a mile away

Like you have no hope when you're in a string full of melees. It's completely dumb. Plus if you're on a zombie map you might as well give up. It's that dumb. And who's bright idea was to a ducking rpg on every map. Holy shit

Daigoro

Survivor is my least favorite. It's basically team deathmatch/FFA. But yeah Onslaught is really intense, it's mercs with a hardcore twist. Some interesting strategy can be applied, getting a 30 hit combo sends a special enemy over, but resets your damage multiplier. Maybe it's worth looking into pressing LB to send a 29 combo, and then use the retained multiplier to blast through very quickly another 30. I like predator as well, the Ustanak plays well, and you really get the feeling of power when you tear through all the agents.

crap didnt even know about the LB button at all. i figured i was missing something. (i think im missing a lot actually, also its been so long since ive played i was barely competent with the controls).

seems like a really interesting mode. lots of strategy to figure out here.

maomaoIYP

crap didnt even know about the LB button at all. i figured i was missing something. (i think im missing a lot actually, also its been so long since ive played i was barely competent with the controls).

seems like a really interesting mode. lots of strategy to figure out here.

Yeah, also unlike Survivors and Predator it seems you always start in the same spot, and there are items like green herbs and first aid sprays placed around the map. So you do collect everything first? Or work with a quick offensive? It's pretty damn good!

Mit-

15-15-0 and all my camera complaints for this game are gone.

Still plenty of little qualms, but dear god, you can actually SEE when you're inside of a tight building.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Since I didn't see it said, co-op in Ada's campaign is just meh overall. I still don't get why they added it.

I think they probably added it just so that people who played through the entire campaign together as co-op partners could finish it as co-op partners.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I think they probably added it just so that people who played through the entire campaign together as co-op partners could finish it as co-op partners.
That would make sense but there are some pretty pointless limitations in that campaign due to Agent not really "being there." It's just weird.

Riposte

No Hope Left is certainly harder, but I think that might mostly be because of no skills (which kind of reminds of Binary Domain making difficulties feel alike at full upgrades, lol). I feel like this game makes the player depends on skills to be a proficient character, at least keeping in mind they removed the weapon upgrade system. So not having even Damage lvl 1 or Ammo drop increase is really felt. I don't know if I like these hard swings between skills being too good in some cases (with co-op AI, anyway) and completely gone. Did Leon 1 and 2. Only got credit for 2 because I joined late, lol(I think they are making this stuff smoother in the next update). I'm a little bit worried about gun opponents in Chirs and Jake.

Sectus

I played some hours of the versus modes yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to think really. They are fun, but they also have some serious balance problems. Onslaught is probably the most balanced, although I do wish we also had a more traditional competitive mercs mode (like slayers from RE5 but without player killing).

Survivors is the most chaotic mode. Anyone randomly picking up a grenade launcher has more or less won the game, that gun is stupidly powerful. Finding the magnum or rocket launcher also drastically makes it easier. And besides that, shotguns seems to be the way to go because of the damage they deal and how easy it is to stun lock people. And the character weapon loadout just seems unfair. Is there any use whatsoever for the knife and stun rod weapons in survivors? In the long run, I can imagine everybody playing as a character with a shotgun, or Agent because of his magnum.

Predator works a lot better, although that mode can also be a bit broken. Play in an open map (like rail yard or mining the depths) with a lot of good players, and the ustanak stands absolutely no chance. Especially if the players have chosen agent or piers. The shooting wild skill is probably too good for this mode as well, since it gives you +50% damage with only a minor penalty. Mode works great if you play with around 4 players though.

But yeah, the modes are fun but I don't see myself playing them for a very long time. I'll go back to mercs as my main RE6 mode after I've had my fill.

Any vids of the new camera angles on Youtube? I'd really like to see how they look in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ookpcdXuCm0

maomaoIYP

Holy shit, I just found out that you can cancel a sniper rifle reload by changing aiming sides when it zooms out for the rechamber. By doing this you can fire the material rifle REALLY fast.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Holy shit, I just found out that you can cancel a sniper rifle reload by changing aiming sides when it zooms out for the rechamber. By doing this you can fire the material rifle REALLY fast.

yeah that's what I was talking about when I mentioned the sniper rifle glitch... i just didn't want to say, since it kind of breaks the pvp game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

You can also do it by quickly switching to another gun and back, if I'm not mistaken.

maomaoIYP

yeah that's what I was talking about when I mentioned the sniper rifle glitch... i just didn't want to say, since it kind of breaks the pvp game.

It doesn't really matter, the pvp is already broken with the hilariously uneven loadouts. Agent is the only one that comes with a magnum right from the start, and pretty much guarentees 2 kills right off the bat.

Riposte

Survivor is too silly for me to take seriously. A lot of it is just getting someone stuck in a sequence of knockdown animations, from half the map sometimes! (RE5 was like this too iirc.) This is made all the more painful by the 1-life nature of the game. It is pointless to fight back in 2 v 1 odds. I remember being flabbergasted when not 10 seconds into a Catacombs game, after getting the jump on someone, two of his friends came from front and behind at the same time. Could have put down my controller at that point for the difference it would have made. I don't know, maybe I just suck.

The rules are set up in in a way that don't play to what makes RE6's combat interesting. I would have rather they made it more contrived. Stuff like dodges giving some kind of immunity or invincibility to certain attacks (maybe invincible stand-up animations outside melee attacks, etc) and finisher melees being tied more closely to how you defeat players. Flash grenades don't seem to do anything. Also ammo is a real pain in the ass when people start coming back to life.

This is a shame because the idea of fallen enemies becoming threats that work to revive themselves is really cool. Especially in a free-for-all match when it is just down to two guys, there is a lot of tension as they search for each other and a mob of intelligent enemies are chasing them down. It is like Agent Hunt, but more refined. I'll probably play a little more for this aspect alone. Well, that and some of the funny movements that arrive from how stupid it can be.

Not sure how I feel about Predator. Seems fun, but a little gimmicky. The music is fantastic though. Or maybe that was for the map High Sea Fortress or w/e (just got it). Sounds like something right out of Street Fighter III. Anyway, I honestly don't know what to make of it yet, but I'm having fun with it currently. I will say one little embarrassing thing... I screamed like a little girl one time or another while playing it. Big success there I guess.

On the other hand, Onslaught is totally great. While I miss running around the bigger map looking for resources and time-extensions that was sort of trimmed in this (and the fact that I miss it surprises me), this mode answers my general issues with the otherwise fantastic The Mercenaries.

You have a fuck ton of enemies. The Mercenaries in 6 starts a little too slow for my taste. But here? You get it right from the start and it just grows from there. This seems like a valid replacement to the PC RE5's "No Mercy" take on Mercs. Second, combos matter to the game itself. I don't really care about getting a leaderboard-worthy (stuff beyond the usual "A" rank) score, but I love the pressure of Merc's combo counter. This gives it meaning within the game rather than outside it. The damage bonus came as a surprise to me and I'm quite glad it is in there. It is a cool counter-objective to just making the combo number go up and up. You inevitably must make a trade-off (in fact it is built in the game with the taunt feature), especially if the game shrinks you down to 100% power. When I've earned 300% after showing restraint and then just start blowing apart a wave of dozens, it gives me a warm feeling inside. The fact you gain it through melee and lose it from getting hit work together to add a lot to the mode.

I have a few criticisms though. If I'm incorrect in my understanding, feel free to correct me. First, I don't like how there isn't much of a penalty for losing your combo. You just send dudes over as if you taunted early? Second, I really don't like what gun-wielding enemies (mainly sub-machine gun j'avo) do to you in this. They strip your damage bonus so quickly it seems almost unintentional. It kind of makes it a non-factor on a stage like Steel Beast. My third complaint might be a little unfair, since it is something you'd expect to see in a sequel, but I wish I felt more "connected" with my opponent. I want to feel my blows to him and the vague health icon doesn't quite cut it. I like the idea of seeing his ghost image in my game or the game keeping count on how many enemies are currently on his map (don't forget in games like Puyo Puyo or Dr. Mario that this seems to be based on, you get to visually see the damage done to your opponent's parallel game).

In the future if they could find ways to give me more control on the damage done to my opponent, that would be a great path to take. Here is some fan fiction: Imagine if they put in reskinned/recolored time bonus crystals on your map that did things to your opponent like "Defense -30%" or "Stamina Regeneration -50%" or "Combo length -30%". You could time your waves with the breaking of those crystals. Add skills to amplify or weaken these. While they are at it... make a fucking send-in-the-Ustanak crystal. I also had a vision of "planting" enemies into your opponent's map like you would a drone-strike in Call of Duty or something. I admit this wouldn't improve the game at all since how it does it now is best for what it is, but I like the idea of having to balance attending to your own map and more intricate ways to strategically assault the opponent's.

Also... 2 v 2, where?! (I can understand no split screen versus. The game is impressive for running this many more enemies without hitches as it is.)

I have a question: What does it mean when "NO HOPE" appears in Onslaught (I think I saw it come up in Survivor, but I could be wrong)? I'm guessing enemies do more damage?

All and all, this is some solid DLC. I like the maps I got so far too (well, maybe not Catacombs so much). Certainly helped RE6's case in my upcoming GotY list.

P.S. FUCK RPGs, GODDAMN. FUCK STEEL BEAST TOO.

Sectus

I have a question: What does it mean when "NO HOPE" appears in Onslaught (I think I saw it come up in Survivor, but I could be wrong)? I'm guessing enemies do more damage?
No Hope is when the enemy has sent far more enemies than you're able to kill (I think it has to be 75 or higher), and I think it makes enemies deal more damage against you.

There are other mechanics which are less than obvious in the new modes. Like in survivors, you lose 2 blocks of stamina whenever someone hits you with a melee attack. And when you're out of stamina, someone can do a coup de grace on you. And flash grenades always remove all your stamina.

The more I play it, the more I see the weaknesses of the onslaught mode. I really wish it was more similar to mercenaries. Besides the beginning of a match, you don't really have any opportunity at all to do melees, and it's so easy to lose your damage boost by accidentally killing too many enemies at one time or having one guy spawn with a weapon (it really does seem like an oversight that every single bullet reduces your damage boost).

The mode is more about running way and finding ways to kill 10 or more enemies at a time than playing mercenaries. It's still fun, but I find normal mercenaries a lot more fun to play.

Evolved1

I logged into RE.net earlier and my RE points were glitched... I've been logging in everyday just to get the bonus for the last mercs costume I need to unlock, and I was still a couple weeks away from the unlock.

Today I notice I have the exact amount of RE points as my overall exp points. Must have been some glitch. But it was more than enough to unlock the last costume.

Might be worth a check... though I don't know if it was a widespread thing or just some isolated luck.

Riposte

In Survivors, not knowing where the crazy powerful guns on the map are against people who do know is quite frustrating. What exactly are you suppose to do against a grenade launcher or a RPG, lol?

Nori Chan

- If the target is met, all participants will be awarded an EX3 costume of their choice

For the 15 million zombie event.

Idk what it means by EX3 costume. Does it mean a completely new one? Or the recolored ones?

maomaoIYP

The mode is more about running way and finding ways to kill 10 or more enemies at a time than playing mercenaries. It's still fun, but I find normal mercenaries a lot more fun to play.

I had a match yesterday when I won due to having more killed when the timer expired, it was pretty much spraying at zombies as I slowly moved in a loop around the map. But yeah I agree that besides the beginning it's pretty much too difficult to work up your damage multiplier via melee attacks.

I wish survivors was endless zombies in a timed mode with no friendly fire where the person who's the last man standing or has killed the most when time expires, wins.

Riposte

I don't know, I do a lot of melee attacks in Onslaught unless I have one of the bigger dudes breathing down my neck. They tend to have good crowd control, so it is possible to get in and out safely. I just think because of the way guns work in it a map like Steel Beast isn't a good one to play. I could see how one would think the pace of The Mercenaries is better though. EDIT: Oh, and I do really like killing a lot of enemies at once. Using each explosive barrel as a valuable resource is not something I usually bother with it, but here there is a good pay off.

EekTheKat

Started playing Helena again and that Hydra combo is just awesome. Favorite Hydra quick shot is still a quick shot dive into a split and aiming the Hydra upwards at a zombie behind her.

Second favorite is this standing no look shot at a target on the ground.

Up until a week ago I wasn't even aware she had a Hydra combo string, now whenever she's surrounded she's just diving around all over the place

In mercs her shoulder tackle counter is strong, and her pistol is pretty damn accurate as well. The Hydra is an insanely good crowd control weapon.

maomaoIYP

Started playing Helena again and that Hydra combo is just awesome. Favorite Hydra quick shot is still a quick shot dive into a split and aiming the Hydra upwards at a zombie behind her.

Second favorite is this standing no look shot at a target on the ground.

Up until a week ago I wasn't even aware she had a Hydra combo string, now whenever she's surrounded she's just diving around all over the place

In mercs her shoulder tackle counter is strong, and her pistol is pretty damn accurate as well. The Hydra is an insanely good crowd control weapon.

Shiiieeeet, Hydra has a combo string? Brb, gonna try it now.

EekTheKat

Shiiieeeet, Hydra has a combo string? Brb, gonna try it now.

Do 3 quick shots in a row, works roughly the same way as Leon with his Wing Shooters. After the 3rd shot Helena will auto reload the Hydra.

When she's surrounded the second or third shot sometimes gets some different animations.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So is RE6 making it to your guys' GOTY lists? For the longest time RE6 was my GOTY but then Dishonored came along and just inched it out. I've been looking through the GAF GOTY voting thread and I've seen it pop up here and there a few times, which is nice to see after all the negativity flung at the game.

Evolved1

So is RE6 making it to your guys' GOTY lists? For the longest time RE6 was my GOTY but then Dishonored came along and just inched it out. I've been looking through the GAF GOTY voting thread and I've seen it pop up here and there a few times, which is nice to see after all the negativity flung at the game.

At this point I can't really pick a GOTY... I suck at narrowing it down. But it's definitely on the short list and a "must play" imo.

For the next RE... I think I want an Outbreak game. Something along those lines. It's time to bring that back, and I think the climate is right for it.

But RE6 was pretty awesome
too bad no Jill
and certainly one of the better games this year.

Esura

Banned

It is up there that's for sure. I'm just wondering if I would put it over my favorite RPG this gen though.

I played Dishonored and liked it but I don't like how the Chaos system ran, my biggest flaw with the game.

Sectus

http://www.abload.de/img/re6-versus-ts-keep-11d4u8n.jpg - This is the silliest thing I've had happen in versus mode. In case people aren't noticing it, I am reviving an *enemy* from dying state in that screenshot.

I'm actually warming up to team survivors. If you get into a player match server which has 6 people which are fairly good, then you can get super quick matches which restart super fast and are pretty fun. The only bad thing is that sometimes someone starts next to a grenade launcher or magnum, and that alone can decide the entire match.

My GOTY is either RE6 or Dragon's Dogma. Not sure really.

Riposte

It is in my top 5. I will say this is one of the few games I've played this year that I played so hard that my eyes burned and teared. I got to stop playing soon, since I have a few games to revisit.

I like Predator overall. I mean, I usually end up getting frustrated by not getting first place (since there is a sole winner after all) because the game is sort of unpredictable, but it plays out to be a lot of fun. I like learning to use Ustanak well for each of the maps dependent on common player strategies. It is so satisfying if you can pull off a victory as the Ustanak. You know you outplayed them, especially since the Ustanak probably didn't win in any of the other rounds. Right now, I've just started to pay attention more to scores, so I'll go after the winning agent more often. My main complaint with the mode is his grab feels unpredictable at times, might be a netcode thing. It is funny how passive-aggressive the game can be at times.

Am I right in thinking Agent is the best character for it? I've been using Agent with Wild Shot (or w/e the skill which takes away your aiming reticle for a power boost) and everything else feels too slow at gathering points and gets in the way of picking up stuff.

I see now how Onslaught is not a "replacement" to The Mercenaries, but I still like quite a bit. I can't really say which I like better, but I think being able to play with a team in The Mercenaries tips it in its favor. The machine gun thing is quite a problem on some maps.

Agent Hunt in No Hope is no joke. The beginning of Leon 2 in particular seems especially brutalizing. I was doing some rounds of Agent Hunt and me and the same guys kept getting into this one dude's room. Basically destroyed him three times in a row. So I searched for his room and joined it so I could help him. His audible reaction to seeing me switch was amusing. He wasn't a very good player (certainly not good at listening to "Follow Me" and "Call" commands, lol) so it took many tries, but eventually I got him into that cathedral. Makes me wonder if some people are just jumping into No Hope. I feel like you need some stronger weapons on you or else it is going to be very painful.

Speaking of which, I had a great run with someone in Chris 2 (I've played this chapter to completion roughly 6-7 times by now lol) on No Hope. We ended up killing every B.O.W., even the ones which chase you into the secret door in the first room of the city hall.

After playing 10 or so chapters (including Chris 1-5), I think No Hope is pretty good. It is certainly harder. Deaths will quickly become common when the healing runs dry. One downside is that it makes some problems with certain guns more obvious than it would be on Professional. Moments where the game throws a wall of machine guns are unpleasant to say the least. Because the game isn't very lenient to the player, the game doesn't need more powerful guns. However it is not like the game forces you to hide behind cover (or god-forbid use the cover system), I just expect more cursing.

Btw, still believe Chris campaign is best overall.

Sectus

Yo Sectus, I was watching your Rail Yard solo run, and noticed that you don't bother with the hidden boss, why is that?

I don't think it's worth it. You have do a ton of quick shot kills which means less melee kills, and you can get the boss bonus from the strelats.

Jawmuncher

Played the MP modes a bit.
Liking Predator (when the room isn't maxed) and onslaught.

Survivors is kinda crap though. Especially with the spawn system. It's cool that you come back as a zombie and need to use that to get back into the game. But more likely than not everyone is dead before you can do anything. They should of just copied slayers from re5.

I just picked up the game and the only thing that's really irking me so far are the zombies that are playing dead. Is there any way to avoid them other than running around like a headless chicken whenever you see a corpse around? The fact I can't just check them with a gunshot seems like a really annoying gameplay decision, especially given that instantly dive at you and take away at least one pip of health.

Riposte

Has anyone been able to make much use of the Last Shot skill? I still haven't seen hard facts on how it works.

Played the MP modes a bit.
Liking Predator (when the room isn't maxed) and onslaught.

Survivors is kinda crap though. Especially with the spawn system. It's cool that you come back as a zombie and need to use that to get back into the game. But more likely than not everyone is dead before you can do anything. They should of just copied slayers from re5.

They've could have done a lot of things. One of which is giving players multiple lives.

Yet another thing weird about Team Survivors: When you turn into a monster you are encouraged to kill your teammate. While this is cool for kill-stealing from an enemy, it leads to team in-fighting. I don't like being betrayed by my teammates...

I just picked up the game and the only thing that's really irking me so far are the zombies that are playing dead. Is there any way to avoid them other than running around like a headless chicken whenever you see a corpse around? The fact I can't just check them with a gunshot seems like a really annoying gameplay decision, especially given that instantly dive at you and take away at least one pip of health.

Most of the suspicious bodies can be avoided by dashing or sliding past them at a safe angle or immediately jumping back. There might be a few tricky ones though (I recall one early in Leon 1 which attacks you after picking up a key item that seemed very hard to avoid.)

On the bright side, I don't think see you much of this passed Leon 1 and 2.

Btw, if you don't like tripping over bodies, you don't if you walk slowly.

Replicant

Can someone please tell me if I just forgot how things were or if it's true:

I feel that post new patch, there is an annoying motion blur applied to the characters whenever they are moving. WTF is this? I don't remember this being the case at all before the patch. I mean I'm glad they removed the motion blur when you're hiding behind a block but not aiming. But in return they put blur when characters are moving?

I'm having trouble with Leon's final boss on No Hope.

I have had zero trouble with him before, but on No Hope I can't get him to take in the lightning rod zombie. It seems the zombies spawn faster than I can kill them, so Simmons never goes after the lightning rod. I don't think there is any other way to "damage" him. Is it possible to ignore the lightning rod and just keep knocking off limbs till his head goes down? It didn't seem likely when playing. Anybody finish it on No Hope yet?

vg260

In case anyone missed it and like buying digital. It's $39.99 on 360 Games on Demand. Considering how awful the pricing usually is and that it's actually just under three months, it's not a bad pickup.

Riposte

I'm having trouble with Leon's final boss on No Hope.

I have had zero trouble with him before, but on No Hope I can't get him to take in the lightning rod zombie. It seems the zombies spawn faster than I can kill them, so Simmons never goes after the lightning rod. I don't think there is any other way to "damage" him. Is it possible to ignore the lightning rod and just keep knocking off limbs till his head goes down? It didn't seem likely when playing. Anybody finish it on No Hope yet?

I've never done it, but I think there is a way to "apply" it directly.

Top Bottom