• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sissel

Perhaps check out the tip thread if you haven't.

I was going to save this for my GotY list post, but one thing I've come to realize (and I think more people should) is that Resident Evil is a sci-fi series, not necessarily a horror one. It is about a world with bio-organic weapons, which at this point are being put to use on the battlefield. The documents upon documents about this-virus and that-virus should have told you as much.
At this point, I'd say yeah, it's more sci-fi. Games are different than movies though in how they are categorized into genres. Survival Horror in gaming would refer more to the gameplay itself and how scary it is, not to the premiset (e.g. bioweapons and superhumans).

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh wow, they actually added camera controls lol. I might buy this now. Why dont they do these things at launch i dont know. Maybe Capcom has learned something.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I would argue you saw how pronounce it became starting with Code Veronica, because at that point we were finally leaving Raccoon City (which on the surface looks like just another riff on the "of the Dead" film franchise) and viruses appeared to be more intelligently applied (superhumans started popping up). Putting aside the grunt enemies and the superficial aspects of the setting: it was always ultimately about mad scientists and their secret labs. Anyway, that's the brief take on it. I think it makes much more sense when you think about it.

Ah, I haven't played CV so I can't really comment. I did get it as part of the RE6: Archives edition though so I should probably get on that.

Oh wow, they actually added camera controls lol. I might buy this now. Why dont they do these things at launch i dont know. Maybe Capcom has learned something.

I think Capcom patching in camera controls and an auto-QTE option is pretty nice of them considering all the criticism RE6 has endured. Hopefully RE7 will be more thoughtful in its design decisions.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Does no one freaking play the PS3 version of this? Ive been waiting for twenty minutes for a partner.

What campaign? I can tag along if you're still looking. Uh, no refunds if I end up on a character that doesn't have all their weapons yet, haha.

Riposte

Anyone from any difficulty can find you except when you are dealing with No Hope difficulty. Likewise you can just any game on your difficulty of choice except for No Hope.

(Personally I beat the game only looking for games which was on Professional to avoid co-op partners with easier difficulties.)

I don't know how dead the game is on PS3, but it has been a few months and the game isn't performing as hot as RE5 did. When the game launched you could certainly find multiple rooms of anything. Back when No Hope and the new multiplayer modes came out, you could see the difference and for some reason Leon's campaign was being played much more than the others. (Was still able to play almost all of the game in No Hope and did a few other difficulties for kicks. The multiplayer (Mercs, Onslaught, Agent Hunt, etc) was lively enough as well.)

Maybe I just picked a bad time of day.

Anyway, just from playing Leon 1, 2, 3 and Chris 1...the game isnt that bad. Its okay.

I mean there are things that I dont like about the game, like the lack of impact from the guns, enemies not reacting to gunfire, melee button prompts missing enemies, enemies ignoring attacks while in the middle of an animation, the qtes, that stupid fucking train in chapter 1, the prelude, the two boss fights Ive gone through, the game not saving me at the spot where it says its saving, etc.

But its still oddly fun, sliding and diving backwards is pretty cool. I like the quick shot mechanic, Other players showing up when campaigns intersect is cool and its nice fighting zombies in RE again. Im real glad that Im playing it after the fov patch.

Mupod

Just finished Leon's campaign. Holy hell that was way longer than I expected, I thought I was done at the end of chapter 4. NOPE not even close.

I completely lost my shit and started laughing at one of the bosses in ch.5 though.
Deviljho. Seriously Capcom? I mean, I have seen some lazy shit out of you, to the point where this barely makes the top 10, but come on. I suppose he IS the scariest thing in MH though.

^
Dat Zeppeli avatar

Badass Helena art in her extra costume.
8mcIq.jpg

Playing this on ps3. Doing each chapter of the characters before going onto the next chapter.

genuinely confused as why this game received such hate. Enjoying my time so far.

just did big bane daddy

Gyrian

The zombie event is all clear, looks like we're getting some blocky extras by the end of the month. :D
P.S. Still nowhere near tired of Mercenaries.

I used to post here alot (or was it the other RE6 thread?) a week before the game came out, is the price below $40 now? Because I can't see myself buying it for anything above that.

It was twenty bucks in Canada just a week ago. Dont know about New York, but the US usually always gets better and quicker price drops.
Ah ok, such a drastic drop. I knew this game would turn out to be the John Cena of the Resident Evil series, if I wasn't in the office I'd spam that pic again :p

EDIT: wait where did you get New York from?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
When do we get chapter breaks? That's what I'm waiting for before getting too far into co-op... tired of having to go through such a long chapter and then lose all my progress if I join someone else's game.

Gyrian

I'd think that the extra PS3 online modes will come with the next patch, which I think was slated for the 22nd.
Same to your question, Evolved1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
When do we get chapter breaks? That's what I'm waiting for before getting too far into co-op... tired of having to go through such a long chapter and then lose all my progress if I join someone else's game.

End of January patch.

Riposte

So odd we didn't get them in the first place. If you look for them, it is pretty obvious where they are.

Mupod

Yeah the $20 best buy/future shop deal is the whole reason I got the game. Glad I did though, loving it now that I'm familiar with enemy reactions and the combat system. I'm hating Gary Stu's
stealth sections
a lot less than I expected to when I first saw them.

I turned my xbox live back on thanks to a trial card I had lying around and the storyline intersections are kinda neat when they decide to work. I nearly killed somebody at the robot Pong section, heh.

Sectus

This isn't directly related to RE6, but I might as well post it in this thread. For the heck of it, I did a little test with RE5. On the xbox version, I did a quick mod to increase the limitation of how many enemies can be active at the same time to 40 (which is the same number PC version uses for the No Mercy mode).

I expected the game to crash, but it worked. Framerate suffered like crazy, but it was technically playable. Framerate felt like it was 20 and below.
http://www.abload.de/img/re5-mod-nomercy0042814hqqi.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/re5-mod-nomercy009332iwo6i.jpg

I did a similar test on PC. Set the enemy limit to 100 and played. And the framerate loss was very small (FPS was between 50 and 60). And this was at 2560x1440.
http://www.abload.de/img/re5dx92013-01-0810-002pzss.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/re5dx92013-01-0810-00fky8g.jpg

I would very much like that PC version of RE6 now. Being able to play at stupidly high resolution, at a high framerate while getting more freedom with modding is gonna be very nice.

This isn't directly related to RE6, but I might as well post it in this thread. For the heck of it, I did a little test with RE5. On the xbox version, I did a quick mod to increase the limitation of how many enemies can be active at the same time to 40 (which is the same number PC version uses for the No Mercy mode).

I expected the game to crash, but it worked. Framerate suffered like crazy, but it was technically playable. Framerate felt like it was 20 and below.

I did a similar test on PC. Set the enemy limit to 100 and played. And the framerate loss was very small (FPS was between 50 and 60). And this was at 2560x1440.

I would very much like that PC version of RE6 now. Being able to play at stupidly high resolution, at a high framerate while getting more freedom with modding is gonna be very nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing what type of mods you'll do when the pc version hits. Hopefully the RE5 models can easily be imported into RE6. I need that BSAA Jill in mercs.

Front cover of Resident Evil 6 Artworks. Still no preview pics yet. It will be 272 pages with over 700 pieces of art.
8wjeH.jpg

Sectus

I'm looking forward to seeing what type of mods you'll do when the pc version hits. Hopefully the RE5 models can easily be imported into RE6. I need that BSAA Jill in mercs.
I would love for that to be possible, but I think it's unlikely. People was never able to fully map the model format in RE5, and the model format in RE6 isn't the same. It's similar, but they've done many changes to the format since RE5.

Hopefully RE6 will get a more active modding community so more discoveries will be made. A lot more stuff with RE5 would have been possible if more talented people were active with the game. In total, there was only around 5 people in the community who were active in finding new ways of modding RE5.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Man that's a ton of enemies lol. I may double dip on RE6 if I ever build a solid gaming rig (or if Steambox is all it's cracked up to be), I'd love to play with jacked up graphics and some extra mods.

Front cover of Resident Evil 6 Artworks. Still no preview pics yet. It will be 272 pages with over 700 pieces of art.
8wjeH.jpg

!!!!!

Got the NA UDON RE5 book, so hoping they bring this one over as well

That artwork should have been the boxart!

Sissel

Gonna start the game now. What's the word on the best order to play the game? And ideal camera settings?

edit: nevermind, just saw in the OP.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna start the game now. What's the word on the best order to play the game? And ideal camera settings?

The order in the OP is generally correct but I think the final chapters should technically go Leon 5 -> Chris 5 -> Jake 5.

Let us know what you think of the game, it's proven to be extremely hard to judge how someone will react to RE6 lol.

I would love for that to be possible, but I think it's unlikely. People was never able to fully map the model format in RE5, and the model format in RE6 isn't the same. It's similar, but they've done many changes to the format since RE5.

Hopefully RE6 will get a more active modding community so more discoveries will be made. A lot more stuff with RE5 would have been possible if more talented people were active with the game. In total, there was only around 5 people in the community who were active in finding new ways of modding RE5.

Oh man thats unfortunate, and yeah hopefully re6 gets a decent modding community.

I actually recommend against a Chrono-run on your first playthrough. I find the pacing to be rather awful and that jumping back n' forth between narratives doesn't gain you anything. Not to mention it spoils some reveals and intersections

Just pick a campaing one at a time I say

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I actually recommend against a Chrono-run on your first playthrough. I find the pacing to be rather awful and that jumping back n' forth between narratives doesn't gain you anything. Not to mention it spoils some reveals and intersections

Just pick a campaing one at a time I say

I actually played it chronologically and enjoyed it that way. The game as a whole builds up to its climax consistently, as opposed to building up to a climax in one campaign, and then having to start the second campaign from the beginning where things are a little slower to get going.

Riposte

I say doing the order in this thread works well. However, failing that... you are probably best doing Jake > Chris > Leon.

Andrew.

Banned
Fuck considering it a Resident Evil. OK, so just basing RE6 as an action/adventure/shooter, how do you guys rate it? Is it really not even fun or entertaining?

Riposte

Fuck considering it a Resident Evil. OK, so just basing RE6 as an action/adventure/shooter, how do you guys rate it? Is it really not even fun or entertaining?

It can be very frustrating and rather opaque, requires learning if nothing else. In my opinion it is among the best games of the year. I think you'll find most people in this thread agree to it at least being okay. I'm sure if you made a thread on Gaming asking this question you'll find a lot of people telling you the exact opposite. I make no promises of you liking it.

Sectus

As Riposte said, there's a big loud group of people who will say it's one of the worst games ever made, but I've had a lot of fun with it. The core combat mechanics are really good, but you need to spend time to learn them. Play it like a cover based shooter and it'll be far less fun. The story mode has issues (QTEs and scripting) but it's still fun to play, especially if you play it in coop. Mercenaries mode is amazing.

I think this is still very much a RE game. RE4 and RE5 were very action focused as well anyway. And even when looking at the classic games, they were moving towards action gradually with each game.

Sissel

The order in the OP is generally correct but I think the final chapters should technically go Leon 5 -> Chris 5 -> Jake 5.

Let us know what you think of the game, it's proven to be extremely hard to judge how someone will react to RE6 lol.
Played the prologue and first 2 Chris chapters. Not really liking it so far. I find it hard to land shots, melees aren't fun to use (especially compared to 4/5) and I feel like im always being knocked down. Could be that I just don't know how to play just yet though. I have enjoyed watching Sectus play MP on youtube more than playing myself so far lol.

maomaoIYP

I found it a really good game. QTEs are annoying as hell but action wise it's really quite good. Like Sectus said, don't play it like a cover based shooter, it's all about making stun shots then going for the melee, just like RE4 & 5. The campaign has its highs and lows but the real replayability to me lies really with Mercs and the DLC Onslaught mode. But then again I think most of the people still in this thread talking about it must like it to a reasonable degree.

Riposte

Played the prologue and first 2 Chris chapters. Not really liking it so far. I find it hard to land shots, melees aren't fun to use (especially compared to 4/5) and I feel like im always being knocked down. Could be that I just don't know how to play just yet though. I have enjoyed watching Sectus play MP on youtube more than playing myself so far lol.

Here are some tips that might be relevant... If you hold A/X (I think) while falling, you'll immediately get back up. If you are playing Chris campaign, then what's knocking you down are probably the LMG guys or turrets. Just learn to recognize them and be sure to stand behind some obstacle (wall, tank, etc) while dealing with the melee enemies. You almost never want to sprint towards them (though you might find some success by faking them out with a slide). It is sort of Piers job to handle distant threats like Snipers, RPGs, and turrets. If you are playing solo as Chris you might want to try telling him to focus his fire on certain enemies. You do this by aiming at a target a pushing B/Square (the ally button). If you are having a hard time landing shots, then get the Steady Aim skill asap. There is no shame in dipping out and farming some points in The Mercenaries. In fact I recommend playing a few rounds of The Mercenaries first, to get acquainted with the controls (dodges, slides, etc). I actually recommend starting the game Level 1 Steady Aim, Level 1 Firearms, and one other skill.

Sectus

I'd recommend playing some rounds of mercenaries before you play the story mode. It's the best mode for experimenting with the controls, and if you get far into the match, you are forced to use the controls well to survive. Dodges, quick shots and melees after stunning enemy is what I recommend experimenting with.

Bollocks

Why the fuck can't I join my friends game any more?
Ever since the patch we can't host or join a game, it takes countless retries, one time even 40m+ to get a session going.
Wtf Capcom it used to work just fine.

Krelian

Why the fuck can't I join my friends game any more?
Ever since the patch we can't host or join a game, it takes countless retries, one time even 40m+ to get a session going.
Wtf Capcom it used to work just fine.
Funny. Ever since the patch it's worked like a charm for me and my friend. Our success rate for joining games was around 10% before the patch, now it's 100%.

Not sure what they did, but they definitely changed something. On PS3, by the way.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

You fall down every time you lose a block of health. It's quite possibly the dumbest design decision in the entire game. As Riposte mentioned, if you hold A/X (360/PS3) while falling you'll get right back up. Don't bother with the regular melee unless an enemy is right up in your face, instead go for the headshot and then follow that up with the contextual melee (similar to RE5). With zombies in Leon's campaign you can also set up melees by shooting their arm/shoulder.

Also are you playing with the crosshair on? Turn that shit off ASAP and turn on the laser pointer; I can't do jack with the crosshair, since the laser pointer moves independently from the crosshair, which is really dumb.

maomaoIYP

Also are you playing with the crosshair on? Turn that shit off ASAP and turn on the laser pointer; I can't do jack with the crosshair, since the laser pointer moves independently from the crosshair, which is really dumb.

Really? Because I can't do jack with the laser pointer.

Top Bottom