• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

clear31

i'm playing jake's campaign now with a friend and it is horrendous. i thought the leon and chris campaigns were pretty bad but now they seem great when comparing to jakes.

Horrible game in my opinion as of now, I actually really enjoyed 5 and was expecting this to be on level with that and it isnt at all. I also respect some of you love this game but it's not doing it for me.

Mit-

In case anyone missed it and like buying digital. It's $39.99 on 360 Games on Demand. Considering how awful the pricing usually is and that it's actually just under three months, it's not a bad pickup.

It's been available at $39.99 at retail as well for a while now, actually.

ie: the game didn't sell as well as they hoped.

Riposte

i'm playing jake's campaign now with a friend and it is horrendous. i thought the leon and chris campaigns were pretty bad but now they seem great when comparing to jakes.

Horrible game in my opinion as of now, I actually really enjoyed 5 and was expecting this to be on level with that and it isnt at all. I also respect some of you love this game but it's not doing it for me.

Jake's gets much better starting with chapter 3 (2 has the worst moment in the game, tied with the very beginning of Leon 1), but then again if you didn't like at least Chris's campaign then it won't matter.

Uhgggg I was so close today. I managed to get him in his downed state and tried to poke him with the lightning rod but it made a clinging sound when I tried to poke him with it because he got up just in time and then I got hit by a zombie in the back and died. It's just so random who he sucks in. I can clear the whole place of zombies than then he'll suck in one from offscreen in the backround. So frustrating. I'll have more time to try next time though.

clear31

Jake's gets much better starting with chapter 3 (2 has the worst moment in the game, tied with the very beginning of Leon 1), but then again if you didn't like at least Chris's campaign then it won't matter.

we beat it today, it definitely became more fun at chapter 3 for us. We absolutely hated chapter 2 and I think it made us sour on even going back to the game. It did pick up though.

Probably not now but down the line, i'll revisit the game and start over with my friend. He got to be Leon, Chris and Jake and next game I was going to take over those 3 characters. We'll see but you were right that it did pick up at chapter 3

*Kills Leon's final boss*

*Downs partner with spare rocket launcher*

*Feeds partner 6 pills*

"I'm glad you're here"

Now that's how you finish the Leon campaign.

Finished
Ada
's campaign. The last few missions weren't as bad as I thought they'd be.
Her little comments got a little annoying though. But Ada moaning Leon's name every time he appears is funny... >.< .
The ending, like the others, was a little cringe-worthy. (Leon's was okay). The story really does take itself too seriously.

Nori Chan

So does anyone actually know how to get RE.NET points? The only ones I've been getting were the continuous login ones. I've been beating the game on professional and I don't get points for the badges earned.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So does anyone actually know how to get RE.NET points? The only ones I've been getting were the continuous login ones. I've been beating the game on professional and I don't get points for the badges earned.

Sounds like your account isn't linked properly?

maomaoIYP

Doing all that stuff has earned me enough points to almost purchase my 4th alternate costume, so I don't know what you're doing wrong man.

Nori Chan

Maybe there's a limit to how many points I can get?

Idk where I can contact for it either. I already have 4 costumes and like 10k away from a 5th

maomaoIYP

Maybe there's a limit to how many points I can get?

Idk where I can contact for it either. I already have 4 costumes and like 10k away from a 5th

Just take part in the next online event, as long as you participate you'll get 10k free.

edit: Finally mopped up the last achievement for the online DLC, it was a real bitch to get 100 kills in survivors. Never gonna touch the mode again. The only one I can stand playing is onslaught, and even then I can't play it for too long, it's bloody stressful.

Riposte

If you play online co-op with no voice chat like I do, the two most troublesome moments in the game is in Jake 5. Right at the start
having Sherry shot the lock
and
one of the switches has Jake be in a completely other area
. Can't think of any other parts of the games that might end up confusing players like that.

Yuripaw

Banned
Just finished Ada's campaign, worst campaign by far.
Wtf, the game was solid up until Ada, then it all went downhill.

I dunno if I'd agree the game was solid up until that point, but I'd agree that her campaign was disappointing. It was a lot of rehash of what you did in previous campaigns, provided very little insight into what I thought could have been the most interesting of the campaigns, and it was also probably worst ending of the campaigns. I felt satisfied with how all the other ones ended at least. I didn't completely enjoy my time with the game, but they all had fine conclusions I felt. Ada's was just a missed opportunity.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I probably liked Ada's campaign the most... idk... she was the most entertaining character imo. Personally, I enjoyed her constant quips. It was fun.

All the other characters had a good ending, but they really cheated us on Ada. Instead of a real epilogue for Ada (my favorite character of the game) we got some lame bullshit to do with my least favorite character in the game. That was really disappointing. imo.

End the game with the worst character.

I've been searching the playstation store for the preorder maps and cannot find them. Am I doing something wrong?

*edit*

Nevermind I just have to acess the store from the game.

MechaX

I decided to pick this up for about $30, just to experience this infamous game. After playing up to Leon's Chapter 3 and Chris/Jake's Chapter 2, I can kind of see why people like the game. But at the same time, I can see why others hate the game so much.

In at least Leon and Jake's chapters, I liked the combat in the sense that it kind of elaborates on the gunplay + melee focus that RE5 tried to expand more upon. Yeah, it is pretty much counterproductive to an atmosphere of "horror" to go around suplexing zombies, but... I don't know how to explain this, but it is like imparting the entire Mercs metagame into the main game (focus on Melee in order to conserve ammunition). I liked Mercs in 4 and 5 quite a bit, so this is not much of a problem for me personally. Although, putting in a stamina system to prevent the main game from being entirely like RE5 mercs with endless "shoot + melee" chains, I feel like the stamina bar is way too small for how resilient some enemies can be.

I hate Chris's gameplay though. Usually its just a straight up cover-shooter with enemies too far to melee (or are manning turrets and what-not).

Now in terms of things that don't work well... Some of the QTEs literally are "blink and you've missed them." I'm especially looking at the parachute QTE. The enemy respawns in certain areas are absolute infuriating; more often than not, enemies will just drop in from the sky or just appear out of thin-air Dragon Age 2 style. Or in Leon's scenario, there will be an active cutscene where I cannot control him, but about 6 zombies are queuing up to attack him while the cutscene plays out. It's just little things like this that add up to make the experience unenjoyable.

I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about this game regardless. There are just so many moving parts, so many varied and conflicting visions, and so many moments where there is a glimpse of something enjoyable to be had in a set-piece, but something takes me right out of the experience (fucking ambulance).

Riposte

The thing about Chris's campaign is that Piers is essential to tackling the encounter design. He is given a very potent sniper rifle which counters the turrets, snipers, and RPGs. Assuming you don't try to charge someone wielding a LMG from the front, gunfire should not be too big of an issue. I never try to use the cover system for the most part.

I agree about all the dumb parts, like the parachute QTE and the ambulance. The thing is once you get that one hit of frustration it is basically not much of an issue anymore. It reminds of Bayonetta's terrible QTEs and how that matters less to me once I've completed the game.

Bollocks

What do I need to do to enter the event for the retro costume?
There's no enter button and even though I played the game back and forth the last couple of days with a friend, the event statistics will not show.

maomaoIYP

There's no enter button and even though I played the game back and forth the last couple of days with a friend, the event statistics will not show.

All you're supposed to need is to kill a zombie.

Sectus

Try going to options and setting "auto upload data" to on again. Me and a few others have had a problem where that has been automatically turned off for whatever reason.

Mupod

So I finally got this thanks to the $20 sale at Future Shop - was gonna wait for the PC version but I got a new TV anyways, so figured I might as well go for it. It certainly looks a lot nicer on the TV than my monitor, which exposes console game resolution and textures badly. The new settings for the camera help too, I'm glad I made sure to get that patch before playing.

I'm a few chapters into Leon's campaign, just beat the
gas monster
boss. Playing on Veteran. I will say that I really liked RE5 and this game makes me miss its overall feel and rock-solid gameplay mechanics, but it does certainly solve RE5's 'everything happens in broad daylight' problem.

Ever since I played the original demo I knew there was a lot more than meets the eye to the new controls, and I also knew it'd be a polarizing issue. I just didn't think the game would get shit on so badly as a result, although it's partly Capcom's fault for not even including a freaking manual. Although most people including reviewers don't read manuals anyways. It's a good thing I did some research beforehand (and practiced in the demo) because a load screen picture like this doesn't really help much.

But yeah, I make extensive use of dodge rolls and quick shot. I'm aware of things like stamina regenerating faster when you're lying down, and it's saved me a few times when I needed to pin down a group with dual pistol quick shots. I don't like that it gives you full health after dying and reloading - I've been using my health items like Left 4 Dead medkits and I generally just use them to fix my red health status after a revive. Feels like a waste otherwise.

My main problem is that it's hard to tell when enemies are stunned - I gather the issue is exacerbated by the fact that I'm fighting zombies rather than those things I saw in Chris' demo, and that I'm on a harder difficulty. I've learned the hard way that trying to smash a crawling zombie with my shotgun is risky and will often get my face chewed on. I also had a moment where I blew a leaping zombie's head off and he still grabbed me anyways, scared the hell out of me but now I try and just dodge their leaps. Although some really weird glitchy stuff happened when I initially tried avoiding them by dodging backward into lying on the ground. In the end I prefer the stun/melee system of 4 and 5 but they've done a good job removing the need for enemies who run up and awkwardly circle you. Quick shot would be immensely overpowered in RE5 but it's just enough to keep things at bay in 6. Although those damn dogs seem to avoid my quick shotgun blasts pretty well.

My biggest annoyance are playing-dead zombies that are immune to your attacks until they decide to stand up and come after you. That is really cheap and lame. Not as cheap and lame as that ambulance that ran me over out of nowhere, but all I could do was laugh at that.

I don't know if I just suck but holy crap the boss I just beat took so much damage it's ridiculous. I couldn't really tell if I was making progress or not. By the end I was out of ammo and only succeeded because there were many incendiary grenades dropped by the enemies. I've been resorting to remote bombs quite often for the tougher enemies, wish there were more lying around.

I did like the atmosphere in most parts even though the game is pretty Doom 3 dark. I suppose that it was intentional for Leon's campaign but man, even if I turn my brightness down all the way on the brightness adjustment screen I can still see the 6 just fine. And even at 14 the game is super dark.

I like that the ammo conservation is pretty strict...I mean right now I have basically nothing left, and I'm using skills for more item drops + shotgun ammo. I'm quite familiar with relying heavily on melee but like I said I can't always tell if something is stunned and safe to approach, and the enemies tend to swarm really hard which drains my ammo reserves fast. When the special melee attacks work they're great, especially the environmental ones. I enjoyed the weapon upgrade systems but even in Revelations you ended up really overpowered really fast, so it's probably for the best that they went with a different upgrade system. Although the Dead Space series did upgrades a lot better IMO so they could have just put more effort into balancing.

The game needs to let up on the SUPER EMOTIONAL SERIOUS BUSINESS although I like that Leon's still got the occasional one-liner stowed away. It's hard to take the game seriously when you're in a cemetery and no fewer than 3 gravedigger zombies take turns bellyflopping into the same open grave.

But yeah, I'll keep playing. As a fan of RE I'm disappointed in a lot of ways, but as a fan of third person shooters I'm doing just fine.

http://www.abload.de/img/recordspic11_bm_nomip9wkkq.png

Pretty small though. The only large UI textures I've found are the mercenaries selection pictures. Those are actually bigger than what is shown on screen (1024x1024 each).

Man you're the best, thanks alot. Might as well post the mercs pic too ;) Biggest size I've come across for them is 826x834

Played thru Chris' campaign again and man I really do like Piers. Its
a damn shame he had to die. I would have liked to see him in future games

If we ever get a console mercs only game he needs to be in there and get the
Krauser treatment and be bale to transform his arm

Sectus

Man you're the best, thanks alot. Might as well post the mercs pic too ;) Biggest size I've come across for them is 826x834

Played thru Chris' campaign again and man I really do like Piers. Its
a damn shame he had to die. I would have liked to see him in future games

If we ever get a console mercs only game he needs to be in there and get the
Krauser treatment and be bale to transform his arm

http://www.mediafire.com/?jr4c612gbr9tdtd

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Had a pretty zombie heavy day today - played some Deadlight and Walking Dead, and then figured what the hell I'll pop in RE6 for a bit. My main goal was to mop up the Professional achievement (I only have the final campaign left to go), and man I'm remembering all over again why I enjoy this game. I thoroughly hated
Ada's
campaign the first time I played it on Normal, but for some reason it's a lot more fun playing through it on Professional. Sure I'm dying more often, but the increased difficulty is forcing me to improvise when I get put in a sticky situation, and damn is RE6's combat system great at accommodating improvisation. Very few things are as satisfying as tossing an incendiary grenade at two far away enemies and then crossbow quick-shotting the guy about to pounce on you. I'm getting the RE6 itch all over again, so much so that I had to go and edit my GOTY list. Achievement hunting here I come!

Also I just have to say that this game still looks incredible. I can't wait to see what next gen RE is going to look like.

My biggest annoyance are playing-dead zombies that are immune to your attacks until they decide to stand up and come after you. That is really cheap and lame. Not as cheap and lame as that ambulance that ran me over out of nowhere, but all I could do was laugh at that.

That's only an issue in Leon Chapter 1; nowhere else in the game do zombies or enemies play dead. And yeah that ambulance is hilarious. I think pretty much everyone who played RE6 got run over by that ambulance (twice for me, since I'm an idiot and didn't figure out after the first time that I should get out of its way). Glad to see you're enjoying the game though. It's not really a "Resident Evil" game, but like you said it's pretty fun if you look at it as a third-person shooter.

MooMoo

Kinda random, but at what price is the PC version likely to release at? Or I guess a better/follow-up question would be: what price did RE5 PC release at?

Thanks once again. This just reminds me how much it sucks that these outfits are only available for mercs. I was watching some RE5 cutscenes today with that fairy tale Sheva oufit and Safari Chris and it looks soooooo good. It truly is a shame we can't see some of the awesome RE6 alts in story mode and cutscenes. Let's all just hope the PC version can somehow correct this.

Kinda random, but at what price is the PC version likely to release at? Or I guess a better/follow-up question would be: what price did RE5 PC release at?
Not sure but my guess would be $39.99-$49.99

Aguirre

i've been very ignorant of this game (and of the franchise) since 4. however i bought resi5 on steam and i cannot stop playing it. im currently doing professional mode and hoarding points to buy all the extras.

i just learned that in this resident evil, you can move AND shoot? this doesnt sit well with me... is it even a resident evil game at this point? dont get me wrong, i am gonna get it on steam when it releases but... is this just resident evil in name? it seems to me that its more or less an action orientated third person shooter

Sectus

i've been very ignorant of this game (and of the franchise) since 4. however i bought resi5 on steam and i cannot stop playing it. im currently doing professional mode and hoarding points to buy all the extras.

i just learned that in this resident evil, you can move AND shoot? this doesnt sit well with me... is it even a resident evil game at this point? dont get me wrong, i am gonna get it on steam when it releases but... is this just resident evil in name? it seems to me that its more or less an action orientated third person shooter

It definitely falls into the category of a third person shooter (as with RE4 and RE5), but it still has its quirks and things it does very differently from other shooters. So I wouldn't say it plays like anything else. I'd say it has more in common with RE5 than other shooters because there's still a heavy emphasis on melee.

ApolloJoh

Looks like we'll be getting a free EX3 Retro costume at this rate:

Eyz42.png

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What do I need to do to receive the costume? Just kill at least 1 zombie? I played the fourth campaign last night but I don't think the enemies I fought count as zombies, and I don't want to start a chapter in Leon's campaign since I'm going to lose progress in the chapter I'm currently on (playing through on Professional for the achievement).

/firstworldproblems

It's definitely more of a third-person shooter than a survival-horror game (as much as people hate that term). Like Sectus said though, it has a very heavy emphasis on melee attacks to conserve ammo, and I thought Leon and Jake's campaigns were much more atmospheric and had some very tense moments (the boss in Leon's third chapter made me cringe on multiple occasions, and the Ustanak is a Nemesis-type enemy that pops up at the most inopportune times).

Sectus

What do I need to do to receive the costume? Just kill at least 1 zombie? I played the fourth campaign last night but I don't think the enemies I fought count as zombies, and I don't want to start a chapter in Leon's campaign since I'm going to lose progress in the chapter I'm currently on (playing through on Professional for the achievement).

/firstworldproblems
Just do a quick mercs match on any of the maps with zombies.

Sissel

Finally getting my hands on RE6 this coming week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2GT4-rJR6U

watching that vid of Sectus playing, it looks like the RE6 team really nailed the dodge mechanics. It looks awesome. But at the same time, the aiming looks really wonky and the melee attacks look inconsistent. Let's hope they combine the best aspects of RE5 (imo its combat is better than RE4's) and the best aspects of RE6 in the next one. Unless they reboot it, which Im down with too ;P

edit: I love how RE6 still plays very uniquely when compared to other shooters on the market though.

maomaoIYP

Finally getting my hands on RE6 this coming week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2GT4-rJR6U

watching that vid of Sectus playing, it looks like the RE6 team really nailed the dodge mechanics. It looks awesome. But at the same time, the aiming looks really wonky and the melee attacks look inconsistent. Let's hope they combine the best aspects of RE5 (imo its combat is better than RE4's) and the best aspects of RE6 in the next one. Unless they reboot it, which Im down with too ;P

edit: I love how RE6 still plays very uniquely when compared to other shooters on the market though.

The melee attacks are actually great. I don't find the dodging all that useful though.

Riposte

Perhaps check out the tip thread if you haven't.

I was going to save this for my GotY list post, but one thing I've come to realize (and I think more people should) is that Resident Evil is a sci-fi series, not necessarily a horror one. It is about a world with bio-organic weapons, which at this point are being put to use on the battlefield. The documents upon documents about this-virus and that-virus should have told you as much.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Sci-fi? I thought Resident Evil was in the survival-horror genre.

lol

That makes sense I guess, since they go to great lengths to explain the "science" behind the mutations. The thing is until RE5 (and maybe arguable RE4), the B.O.W. aspect wasn't as pronounced as the zombie aspect, so it always felt more like a horror game than any other kind of game.

Riposte

Sci-fi? I thought Resident Evil was in the survival-horror genre.

lol

That makes sense I guess, since they go to great lengths to explain the "science" behind the mutations. The thing is until RE5 (and maybe arguable RE4), the B.O.W. aspect wasn't as pronounced as the zombie aspect, so it always felt more like a horror game than any other kind of game.

I would argue you saw how pronounce it became starting with Code Veronica, because at that point we were finally leaving Raccoon City (which on the surface looks like just another riff on the "of the Dead" film franchise) and viruses appeared to be more intelligently applied (superhumans started popping up). Putting aside the grunt enemies and the superficial aspects of the setting: it was always ultimately about mad scientists and their secret labs. Anyway, that's the brief take on it. I think it makes much more sense when you think about it.

Top Bottom