• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Because I can't do jack with the laser pointer.

How can you hit anything with the crosshair? You don't even know where the laser dot is since it swims around within the crosshair. At least with the laser pointer you know exactly where your shots will hit at all times.

Riposte

I can play with both, but I think I prefer the crosshair for efficiency. The laser pointer is more... Resident Evil, though.

I love it when the camera shifts and you get locked perspective (with a laser pointer, even if you are using a crosshair)... makes a bit nostalgic, even if you don't kill anything during those moments.

maomaoIYP

How can you hit anything with the crosshair? You don't even know where the laser dot is since it swims around within the crosshair. At least with the laser pointer you know exactly where your shots will hit at all times.

All I really need most of the time is just the first shot and then go for the melee, and the first shot is always dead center. I can't use the laser pointer because I spend more time trying to identify where the dot is landing, especially for long range pistol shots. The laser pointer looks great and is more true to RE4 and 5 but it's not very efficient.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I can't tell if I like or hate Survivors. But either way that grenade launcher is a giant pile of horseshit. I also wish they fixed the quick shooting sniper because it makes Piers too good at Predator.

You know I was thinking it would be nice if in the next Resident Evil Jill and Sheva were the main characters. Their mission is to take down
Raymond and Jessica from Revelations after finally locating their whereabouts.
It could even take place during Resident Evil 6 which would explain why Jill couldn't have been able to search for Chris after the events in Edonia.

maomaoIYP

I can't tell if I like or hate Survivors. But either way that grenade launcher is a giant pile of horseshit. I also wish they fixed the quick shooting sniper because it makes Piers too good at Predator.

I actually got the majority of my 100 agent kills using Chris. Having a frag grenade is a godsend. Couldn't make things work with Piers nor Agent. I tried sniping on Steel Beast with Piers, but the lag makes shots miss, and once I've downed them, I can't finish because they tend to be obstructed.

Riposte

You know I was thinking it would be nice if in the next Resident Evil Jill and Sheva were the main characters. Their mission is to take down
Raymond and Jessica from Revelations after finally locating their whereabouts.
It could even take place during Resident Evil 6 which would explain why Jill couldn't have been able to search for Chris after the events in Edonia.

I'm not even sure if they consider
Revelations
canon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually got the majority of my 100 agent kills using Chris. Having a frag grenade is a godsend. Couldn't make things work with Piers nor Agent. I tried sniping on Steel Beast with Piers, but the lag makes shots miss, and once I've downed them, I can't finish because they tend to be obstructed.

I've been jumping around a lot, I think I do the best with Sherry. Flash grenades are great for wiping out stamina and the stun rod is really powerful when you have no ammo. Helena is great with the Hydra as well.

I've been alright with Piers sniping in survivors, but only on a map like Steel Beast.

maomaoIYP

I've been jumping around a lot, I think I do the best with Sherry. Flash grenades are great for wiping out stamina and the stun rod is really powerful when you have no ammo. Helena is great with the Hydra as well.

I've been alright with Piers sniping in survivors, but only on a map like Steel Beast.

When I run out of ammo I just resign myself to dying if I can't find a weapon of an ammo pickup. Even if I do have a melee weapon it's pointless especially if the other players have a shotgun. I haven't had much luck with the flash grenade actually. Tried it a few times and people still end up running away successfully. With a frag I've had quite a few times where I meet 2 people fighting it out in a room, I pop the frag in and down both of them for an easy 2 kills.

joe2187

Banned
I just got my stats in from the community event

It says I have 1 extra ticket I can use now from the end of january

What is this ticket and what can I use it for?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So you guys hear about Revelations 360 achievements being leaked? We might have another RE game sooner than we thought (with the much ballyhooed Raid Mode that everyone has been raving about).

Sectus

Yeah, I saw that. I've already played the game on my 3DS, but I'll get the 360 version when it's released. Since I've already played through it once, I'm mostly excited about trying to mod it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol didn't you say that you watched an entire LP of Revelations on Youtube already?

Yeah but now I can totally play it... and see what raid mode is all about.

Kinda sucks it's Tomb Raider Jill, but otherwise I still want to play it.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Will probably get the PS3 version of Unveiled Edition and check out Raid Mode. It seems like it could be fun, but all the talk about loot and leveling up are things I'm glad Mercenaries hasn't fallen prey to this gen. Will likely enjoy it, but it would not replace my love for Mercs.

Riposte

Will probably get the PS3 version of Unveiled Edition and check out Raid Mode. It seems like it could be fun, but all the talk about loot and leveling up are things I'm glad Mercenaries hasn't fallen prey to this gen. Will likely enjoy it, but it would not replace my love for Mercs.

After playing it I was afraid of what they might do to Mercs in RE6. Glad I was wrong.

neonille

As Riposte said, there's a big loud group of people who will say it's one of the worst games ever made, but I've had a lot of fun with it. The core combat mechanics are really good, but you need to spend time to learn them. Play it like a cover based shooter and it'll be far less fun. The story mode has issues (QTEs and scripting) but it's still fun to play, especially if you play it in coop. Mercenaries mode is amazing.

I think this is still very much a RE game. RE4 and RE5 were very action focused as well anyway. And even when looking at the classic games, they were moving towards action gradually with each game.

I hate this statement. It's like if the next battlefield had puzzle mini-games when you are disarming a bomb...and then 2 games later, battlefield is suddently a 100% puzzle game with relaxing music in the background...

Ohh and yes...i hate this game with every single cell in my body =). Sry, i know you guys who still hang around here enjoy the game but just wanted to get that out of my system...

Sectus

I hate this statement. It's like if the next battlefield had puzzle mini-games when you are disarming a bomb...and then 2 games later, battlefield is suddently a 100% puzzle game with relaxing music in the background...

Ohh and yes...i hate this game with every single cell in my body =). Sry, i know you guys who still hang around here enjoy the game but just wanted to get that out of my system...

I'm really not understanding your point here. If anyone plays like RE6 like a straight cover based shooter, it's their own fault. Melees, dodges and quick shots are in the game for a reason. And if you were thinking RE4 and RE5 weren't straight action games, you must have a foggy memory.

Gyrian

Goddamn, this soundtrack is massive.

Anyone have favorite songs from within the campaign?

A couple of Ada's tracks were highlights for me, sneaking in the submarine and again in the carrier.
Goes without saying how great the Mercs track is. I keep telling myself that after 40+ hours I'm sure to turn off the background music; yet, it remains.

neonille

I'm really not understanding your point here. If anyone plays like RE6 like a straight cover based shooter, it's their own fault. Melees, dodges and quick shots are in the game for a reason. And if you were thinking RE4 and RE5 weren't straight action games, you must have a foggy memory.

They are, and i hate that....

I never said they weren't.

But RE1,Re2,Re3,Re-code veronica, RE0, REmake.....were not

Riposte

A couple of Ada's tracks were highlights for me, sneaking in the submarine and again in the carrier.
Goes without saying how great the Mercs track is. I keep telling myself that after 40+ hours I'm sure to turn off the background music; yet, it remains.

I think Predator has the best music of the side content. For the agents it is nice and chill (and reminds of me a 90s capcom fighting game soundtrack) while for Ustanak it gets me pumped.

Riposte

(They were always action games. "Survival" or "horror" or whatever gibberish you want to create out of them are not exclusive to action.)

neonille

It's been an action series for 8 years now. I think it's a bit late to still rant about it.

Well, depends on how you look at it.

Re4 i would not consider to be as action oriented as nr 5 and 6.

It still had some good tension and inventory managment was still there, plus i really liked the setting of the game.

Sectus

Well, depends on how you look at it.

Re4 i would not consider to be as action oriented as nr 5 and 6.

It still had some good tension and inventory managment was still there, plus i really liked the setting of the game.

I played RE4 earlier today. I fought 2 gigantic monsters in a tiny room which I couldn't leave until they were dead, a small place with 10 ganado with melee weapons and 1 ganado with a gatling gun, a hallway with a dozen ganado with various ranged weaponry, and I rode a mine cart while enemies were falling into the mine cart.

It's very much an action game. I'm gonna argue that RE6 actually has more quiet moments than RE4, for instance Leon chapter 1 and Chris chapter 3. RE4's village section is kinda slowly paced, but otherwise it's wall to wall action.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry.....what?

It's hard to argue that RE3 isn't an action game. Yeah it's "tense" and "spooky" but you generally have more than enough ammo to blow away pretty much everything you come up against. After a certain point I had more ammo than I knew what to do with and I basically just murdered everything that crossed my path.

REmake probably holds up better as a horror game, but I haven't played it in years.

maomaoIYP

Pretty interesting view by Gamespot on the Survival Horror genre and the nasty trend one of the best SH games ever created started.

http://www.gamespot.com/resident-ev...esidentEvil4;GreatGamesTerribleLeg;WatchItNow

Interesting watch, but GAWD his voice is boring. I still think the 1st Dead Space was really good in the horror aspect, alone on the Ishimura where every sound makes you jump in anticipation of a necromorph. The Dead Space 2, not so much because there were just so many other humans. The scariest bit in DS2 was probably the bit with the regenerator.

Riposte

Pretty interesting view by Gamespot on the Survival Horror genre and the nasty trend one of the best SH games ever created started.

http://www.gamespot.com/resident-ev...esidentEvil4;GreatGamesTerribleLeg;WatchItNow

I'm pretty sure this is the default opinion on NeoGAF and this just delivers it in a tedious way. Don't know why you would call this particular version of it interesting. In any case, it is one I find to be flawed in its core premise. Survival Horror is not and never was a genre.

Sectus

It feels like he simplified the situation way too much. RE series has never been much about putting you into the role of a weak character fighting tougher foes. That was probably the case of the first half of RE1/REmake, and maybe the first few minutes of each RE. But otherwise you were given enough weapons and ammo to deal with everything which came your way.

Did RE4 really kill off other survival horror franchises? I'm not very familiar with horror games (despite loving RE, I'm actually not a fan of horror games in general), but looking up some games, Rule of Rose and Haunting Ground were both released after RE4, and I'm pretty sure both of those were traditional survival horror games.

I think it's less RE4's fault that horror games became less popular, and more about sales. Action games are simply more popular than horror games. Same reason why games like Syndicate and X-Com were turned into FPS games (although thankfully x-com got a strategy release too), because people in suits look at game sales and acknowledge that shooters sell best.

MjFrancis

I'm finished with Chris Chapters 1 & 2 and plan on running through Jake Chapters 1 & 2 tonight. All I can say is thank goodness for the advanced controls guide. Otherwise I would be completely lost in this game. I'm still far from having a good grip on the game but I'm learning the nuances of the mechanics. I've read reviewers calling this a Gears of War clone and while it's certainly a third-person shooter it's far from a Gears copycat.

Doing quickshots and melee, running, dodging and managing stamina is a blast. Learning enemy attack animations and countering enemy J'avo's before they fully mutate is challenging but surmountable. I still don't have a hang of things but I'm having fun with it all the same.

I'm not fond of some of the insta-death QTE's I've been privy to (most notably Chris Chapter 2 where I died on the bridge within seconds before any control prompts popped up), and I haven't been clear on where the game saves mid-chapter. For some reason I could pause when I played Chris's first chapter but the start button didn't work during chapter 2. I'll have to figure that one out later, I'm almost positive a setting was changed in the interim. A checkpoint system like Gears would work pretty well. I'm not a fan of the cover system mechanics either, but thankfully I haven't had to use them that often.

Other than a few nitpicks, I'm happy so far. I probably have a better opinion of the game because I'm not attached to the Resident Evil mythos. The story would be horrible in any other medium but it's a great way to set up each encounter in this game. I'll look forward to more variety in Jake's campaign. I'm happy with RE6 the TPS so far.

One of my favorite "Oh shit how am I getting out of this one" moments was being swarmed by four J'avo with one bar of health. Knowing I couldn't quickshot or dodge all of them I was relieved to remember I had a flash grenade. I was able to suplex or neck crank all of them before they recovered. That sort of action cheese is refreshing, and right up my alley.

maomaoIYP

Rail Yard mercenaries RE.net event has started for those who wanna try to compete.

Are you going for it? I've been trying for the last 3 hours to beat my old score of 1141K. Trying your strategy of not going for the hidden boss and relying on the strelats, but those 3 strelats don't always spawn. And that 1 time I got them to spawn I died at 135 combo.

Sectus

Are you going for it? I've been trying for the last 3 hours to beat my old score of 1141K. Trying your strategy of not going for the hidden boss and relying on the strelats, but those 3 strelats don't always spawn. And that 1 time I got them to spawn I died at 135 combo.

I'm trying it, but I'm not sure how crazy I should be. I was trying with a low tier character (that is, not Jake1) and trying to keep several strelats alive, but this is not working out at all. I probably shouldn't have too high goals since I still have only beat the stage once with 150 combo in solo.

About the strelats, there's 3 javo which mutate into them. It's possible they won't mutate if you kill them with a melee. I can't remember exactly when they spawn. I think it's around when combo is 80. Unfortunately, I don't know which melees are safe to use (that is, melees which can still allow them to mutate). I'm very sure that head stun melees will prevent them from mutating.

maomaoIYP

I'm trying it, but I'm not sure how crazy I should be. I was trying with a low tier character (that is, not Jake1) and trying to keep several strelats alive, but this is not working out at all. I probably shouldn't have too high goals since I still have only beat the stage once with 150 combo in solo.

About the strelats, there's 3 javo which mutate into them. It's possible they won't mutate if you kill them with a melee. I can't remember exactly when they spawn. I think it's around when combo is 80. Unfortunately, I don't know which melees are safe to use (that is, melees which can still allow them to mutate). I'm very sure that head stun melees will prevent them from mutating.

Ahhhh that makes sense. I've been killing most of them via coup de grace, and that seems to get them to spawn fine. If I'm not wrong head smash on wall doesn't work. I was wondering if it was completely random.

edit: Got on the leaderboards with 1156K. URGH that was hard. Strelats come out with ground smash melee, CDG, or just killing them with a gun.

Top Bottom