• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sectus

I chickened out, I switched over to Jake1 instead of Ada2. And after 2 attempts I get a run where I get 1225k, although I got stupidly lucky at the end. The boss died somehow but I'm actually not sure how. It looked like I missed with the pistol but it died somehow anyway.

I might try it again later after a break, but otherwise I guess I'm satisfied with this run.

I kinda wish the characters were more balanced. Jake1 makes all j'avo stages so much easier to handle. While Chris makes zombie stages so much easier to handle.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sectus what camera settings do you play with (post-patch options)?

maomaoIYP

I chickened out, I switched over to Jake1 instead of Ada2. And after 2 attempts I get a run where I get 1225k, although I got stupidly lucky at the end. The boss died somehow but I'm actually not sure how. It looked like I missed with the pistol but it died somehow anyway.

I might try it again later after a break, but otherwise I guess I'm satisfied with this run.

I kinda wish the characters were more balanced. Jake1 makes all j'avo stages so much easier to handle. While Chris makes zombie stages so much easier to handle.

Damn that's a great score man! You're relying on his unarmed quickshot to get the hidden boss I suppose! I tried it a few times but so much movement around the map is required to stay away from it, and the spawning on this map is already hard enough as it is.

Why do you think jake1 is good for j'avo? Like how do you use him? Really curious about it

The unarmed quickshot on the exploding dudes get you a melee kill, most characters can't kill them with a melee easily. The unarmed quickshot on the flying Javo gives you a flip kick which knocks them down, once again most characters have to rely on shooting to kill those. Since Jake is male, he gets the back elbow as the reverse melee, so you can get a coup de grace on the crab claw dudes. Also he gets flash grenades, which work on most Javo but almost no zombies.

Chris is best for zombies because with power counter his counter with a 1 handed weapon (which is INSANELY quick), can instant kill both the arm swing zombies and overhead grab zombies. He's the only character that can do that.

Anybody here play The Mercenaries for high score? Typically 1.3 million + score. Not RE.NET events.

Sectus and I do, I'm not as good as you guys though, I score around 1200K tops.

maomaoIYP

Not true. 1.5 million is achievable by solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3ysNpBKXE&list=UUzMzuqgAQOmgviozgc5Q0fQ&index=1

Surprisingly not by a Japanese player.

Holy shit that is insane. What on earth does he kill with the flash grenades at 133 and 149 combo?

edit:
Damn I got 130 combo at rail yard but just had no time left. I'm finally getting the hang of this map. Sherry is pretty good on it too.

I did mine with Sherry Ex and used Time Bonus.

Sectus

Why do you think jake1 is good for j'avo? Like how do you use him? Really curious about it

It's a combination of things. He's got a great loadout (good pistol, best magnum and a couple of flash grenades), his counter melee is powerful, and his melee weapon makes certain enemies a joke to deal with.

I'll upload a video using Jake1 on rail yard later.

Sectus what camera settings do you play with (post-patch options)?

15-15-0.

Damn that's a great score man! You're relying on his unarmed quickshot to get the hidden boss I suppose! I tried it a few times but so much movement around the map is required to stay away from it, and the spawning on this map is already hard enough as it is.
I decided to not trigger the hidden boss at all. You need to kill 25 enemies with quick shots. Assuming those could have been normal melee kills, that means I miss out on about 125 seconds. If I were to trigger the hidden boss and kill him when combo is around 80 (there's no way I'm keeping that boss around for long), I'd get +14600 points, which equals to having 73 seconds at the end of a match. So I decided it was more worthwhile to go for extra melee kills instead.

Alright I just got 150 combo at rail yard with Jake. Total was 1,093,749. I wonder if that will be enough to crack top 1000 for the event. Thanks for the jake tips earlier too, they helped alot.

maomaoIYP

Alright I just got 150 combo at rail yard with Jake. Total was 1,093,749. I wonder if that will be enough to crack top 1000 for the event. Thanks for the jake tips earlier too, they helped alot.

Are you on xbox? There's only 473 participants right now LOL.

edit: Sectus you're at rank 8, I'm sure there's some more space for you to move up!

Are you on xbox? There's only 473 participants right now LOL.

edit: Sectus you're at rank 8, I'm sure there's some more space for you to move up!

Nah I'm on ps3. Just checked and I'm ranked 284 and that was from an earlier score today of only 393,680 lol. 1,798 participants on ps3. Gotta keep in mind though that alot of people probably still dont have this map. I might actually crack top 100 once my score is updated.

*edit*
Finally a few preview pics of the RE6 artbook.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/146/G014637/20130118070/

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8iRTUfWOE - That's my rail yard run (1223k as Jake1) (edit: bleh, video upload failed and several minutes are missing, I'll reupload it later)

I did give it a few more tries. I did get 2 really good runs where I ended with about 3-4 minutes of time, but in both of those tries the strelat I was trying to keep alive just randomly died near the end. I guess a random javo hit it with gunfire or something.

Edit: There's one thing I learned which I wasn't aware of. Some enemy spawns differ on based where you are. For instance, at the start of that run, I would usually get all time bonuses before starting to kill, but if I started to kill right away, I noticed differences in enemy spawns. You can see in the video that I kill a javo with shield early on, that guy will only spawn while you're in that area. If you go downstairs and start killing, you'll never see shielded javo until combo is 50.

I wasn't aware the spawn system worked like that. I guess the spawn regions (which was a huge part of RE5) are still here, just to a lesser extent.

maomaoIYP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8iRTUfWOE - That's my rail yard run (1223k as Jake1)

I did give it a few more tries. I did get 2 really good runs where I ended with about 3-4 minutes of time, but in both of those tries the strelat I was trying to keep alive just randomly died near the end. I guess a random javo hit it with gunfire or something.

Edit: There's one thing I learned which I wasn't aware of. Some enemy spawns differ on based where you are. For instance, at the start of that run, I would usually get all time bonuses before starting to kill, but if I started to kill right away, I noticed differences in enemy spawns. You can see in the video that I kill a javo with shield early on, that guy will only spawn while you're in that area. If you go downstairs and start killing, you'll never see shielded javo until combo is 50.

I wasn't aware the spawn system worked like that. I guess the spawn regions (which was a huge part of RE5) are still here, just to a lesser extent.

Your video ends at 87 kills, it got cut off.

Hot damn!

HxdBkhs.png

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Hey Gyrian, when can we practice some more Mercs? I've been distracted by Max Anarchy and I came back to Mercs the other day only to do terribly, haha.

Dreamer RD

New patch lol

A free update for PS3 and Xbox 360 containing the following features is now available:

[1] Agent Hunt unlocked and session search improvements
[2] Improved chapter selection
[3] Auto Action Button option added

And still no extra modes on PS3.

Daigoro

here's the full notice- (lol!?)

==Resident Evil 6 Title Update Information==

A free update for PS3 and Xbox 360 containing the following features is now available:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Extra Content mode Agent Hunt can now be accessed immediately, without having to complete one of the Campaigns.
(Only previously completed stages can be accessed)

Additional session search options have been added, such as whether infinite ammo is enabled and individual stage search.
(Stage, country & region, and target play style are configurable)

As well as the previous chapter selection feature, it is now possible to start chapters at specific checkpoints such as 1-1, 1-2 etc.

This option allows you to start your game right where you want to, such as before a story intersection or an Agent Hunt area.

The Auto Action Button option has been enabled on all difficulties, which allows Action Button sequences to be automatically inputted, a feature previously only available on Amateur difficulty.
(Some button sequences are not supported).

Game balance has also been adjusted in certain areas.

=="Delivering Disaster" event malfunction==

The "Delivering Disaster" event rankings could not be processed due to a system error.
Values necessary for calculating the results for the new Extra Mode DLC were not taken into account,
and as a result we have had to cancel this event.

We will be addressing this issue as follows:

1. The "Delivering Disaster" event will be held again at a later date
2. All users who participated in the event on January 18th and 19th will be awarded 10,000 RE Points

RE.NET sincerely apologizes to all event participants.

Sectus

What's the chapter selection like now? It is pretty obvious where they would break it up.

There's usually 3-6 different levels you can choose to start from in any chapter. It definitely gives you enough freedom to start from specific levels. I hope this makes it easier to do the 4 player levels.

It isn't mentioned when starting the game, but they have tweaked difficulty in a few areas. The only one I'm aware of are the rope QTEs. It's now impossible to lose your grip.

Gyrian

Hey Gyrian, when can we practice some more Mercs? I've been distracted by Max Anarchy and I came back to Mercs the other day only to do terribly, haha.

I've been away too long myself, let's do this! I can't believe I missed out on Rail Yard dominator, haha.
Too many long events that weren't doing much for me, then the one I'd been waiting for wrapped up in a day.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright where the hell are the FOV camera options. I updated to the new patch but cant find them anywhere..

edit: nevermind, they didnt exactly plan these patches for first time players. I got bombarded with change logs and new options when i quit out to the main menu.

Also, they changed a lot of shit. Damn. Good on Capcom i guess.....

And after playing a bit i want to smack the shit out of the guy who made the decision to not have these FOV options in the main game. I mean, 10-10-0 for me seems the best. Camera just makes everything look and feel better. Environments even look better and more detailed. Either they had to do some big engine work to get the framerate smooth or the engine could have supported it off the bat. In which case i dont know what they were thinking sticking rhe camera right up against your back.

Riposte

Alright where the hell are the FOV camera options. I updated to the new patch but cant find them anywhere..

edit: nevermind, they didnt exactly plan these patches for first time players. I got bombarded with change logs and new options when i quit out to the main menu.

Also, they changed a lot of shit. Damn. Good on Capcom i guess.....

And after playing a bit i want to smack the shit out of the guy who made the decision to not have these FOV options in the main game. I mean, 10-10-0 for me seems the best. Camera just makes everything look and feel better. Environments even look better and more detailed. Either they had to do some big engine work to get the framerate smooth or the engine could have supported it off the bat. In which case i dont know what they were thinking sticking rhe camera right up against your back.

I'm thinking they got it in their head that it would make the game more "survival horror", similar to the tank controls/camera angle of older RE games. It was a huge mistake in any case.

Just scored 1.38 + million score on Mining the Depths as the default Chris. About 20,000 score short of 1.4 million. I was surprised to receive this score as the clock was under 18 minutes. I was expecting to break 1.37.

On the unrelated note, maomaoIYP, who is that girl on your avatar?

maomaoIYP

Just scored 1.38 + million score on Mining the Depths as the default Chris. About 20,000 score short of 1.4 million. I was surprised to receive this score as the clock was under 18 minutes. I was expecting to break 1.37.

On the unrelated note, maomaoIYP, who is that girl on your avatar?

Solo? Damn that's a great score man. How do you keep the strelat alive till the end?

She's Nozomi Sasaki.

No, duo. Sorry, I just realised how I worded my post implying solo.

As for your avatar, I couldn't decide whether she is Japanese or from the west. I had to ask. She has a very unique look which I couldn't determine her race. Nice avatar.

Sectus

Not to get anyone's hopes up as I'm not sure what this is about, but Sven from Capcom USA posted an interesting response to someone asking about a Mercenaries game for xbox/ps3/pc:
Understood on the request. Let's talk next week on this topic.

maomaoIYP

Not to get anyone's hopes up as I'm not sure what this is about, but Sven from Capcom USA posted an interesting response to someone asking about a Mercenaries game for xbox/ps3/pc:

Heck, I'd buy it. Put some well thought out modes in, bunch of characters and maps, and I'm sold.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I imagine it'd just be RE6 mercs either exactly how it is atm, or with a few bonuses.

They could probably give you a merc bundle (RE4HD, RE5, RE6) since all those games exist on the console platforms.

Some devs have commented here on gaf how they are attracted to the idea of releasing their multiplayer components as stand-alone downloads. This could be that.

Personally I would not be interested in a stand-alone mercs unless it offered something unique/extra content.

But then I would pretty annoyed if some product like that got extra content while I'm still waiting for RE6 DLC/extras.

So not sure if I'm really too excited about a possible merc announcement... will have to wait and see...

Well, this is fucking embarrassing.

I ended up getting the game again after finding it for really cheap. I finished up Ada's story as well as the last level of Leon's on veteran last night, and I have to admit, I'm really starting to warm up to it.

Now, I'm not going to kid myself-- there's a lot of things about this game I don't like, and I don't think I'm ever going to downright think this is a good game, but if you treat it like a big, over the top monster show that has resulted from the events of the earlier games and starring most of the central cast... fuck... it's not so bad. The new camera is definitely an improvement, and the game has a lot of content. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface and the higher difficulties scare the shit out of me. Basically, I'm finding that, despite there being some really dumb things like the bad vehicle sections that I absolutely hate, and the general vibe of Jake's story through the music and how "cool" he is, for a lot of the things I dislike, there are some things that I really do like.

Crazy what magic little time and some hype cool down can work. This is a C- game at best, but while it doesn't necessarily scratch a Resident Evil itch, it does have the whole huge global outbreak and crazy fucking monsters thing going for it, which is what I suppose the story was inevitably leading to. I think the gameplay is amazing, I just really, really, really reaaaallllyyyy want them to bring back the puzzles and environmental layout of the earlier games, where you can get lost in environments and have to not only fight but find your way through the game. If they could work puzzles back in and give it a better horror atmosphere and vibe, I think they could get the series back on track.

Or maybe I've just convinced myself that the game isn't bad because as an RE fanboy I really can't stand the idea of being so disappointed in it. Whatever the case, I'm legitimately having fun with the game and I don't regret picking it up again. It's okay if no one takes my opinions seriously anymore, I get it. Backpedaling doesn't do one favors when it comes to future debate. Like I said there are still a lot of things I greatly dislike and I still don't think it's an acceptable Resident Evil game, but it does have some elements that I liked about the earlier installments.

Story is still refried dog shit

Riposte

Being able to adjust your opinion isn't something to be ashamed about.

As for returning to "RE's roots", I'd like it if two campaigns in the next game were like A & B scenarios happening in the same location at the same time. Co-op would be as optional as standing near the other player in a large classic RE map. Drop-in/drop-out players for this would be a solid evolution of the campaign intersections. I would also want a RE5-6 style co-op campaign too.

As for returning to "RE's roots", I'd like it if two campaigns in the next game were like A & B scenarios happening in the same location at the same time. Co-op would be as optional as standing near the other player in a large classic RE map. Drop-in/drop-out players for this would be a solid evolution of the campaign intersections. I would also want a RE5-6 style co-op campaign too.

That'd be great. I love the actual gameplay direction the series has been going in; it's incredibly fun and addictive which is what made RE4 a masterpiece. Still, I really hope that they bring back some RE tropes such as the puzzle solving, as well as, instead of the mission based structure, I would love to see big open-ended environments return. RE4 actually handled this well; you were given stages, but you could still explore very large areas and go back to earlier locations. It was still far too linear for my tastes, but it wasn't too bad.

What I envision is an RE game with the new gameplay, but set in more open environments where you actually have to explore, find keys, crests, and all that bullshit to make progress. Sure, it may feel archaic, but the exploration and getting lost and not being sure where to go, for me, added to the tension and hopelessness. With the newer games, you don't really get this sensation.

Oh, Mercenaries mode in RE6 is a blast. Holy shit. I didn't really give it any proper attention when the game came out because I was too busy being a rabid hater, but it's a load of fun.

LTWood12

Sorry if this has been answered, but had a bit of a weird issue tonight. I hadn't played in a few weeks, so I downloaded patch 1.04 on PS3. So I'm playing with my buddy, and halfway through Chris' chapter 3, I get the 'failed to access game data' message on the loading screen. Kind of freaked me out, but figured I just needed to quit & restart.

So he invites me back and when trying to join I get the same message. So at this point I figure I need to delete the 3.9 gig of game data and reinstall. I delete the game data and restart the game, expecting to have to sit through the install again. redownload patch 1.04 and game starts. Get to start screen, keep going forward thinking surely it's going to prompt the install. Loads my save and I'm back in game. No install. WTF? Am I going crazy?

Top Bottom