• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Sectus

Map pack B will be finally out on the 29th. That could be the mercs news which sven was hinting about for next week.

Ahh more samples of the RE6 artbook. I might not be able to wait and see if Udon announces an english version.

*edit* Spoilers in some of the preview pics. Thanks Riposte.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/146/G014637/20130125010/

Hmmmmmmmm... not sure if I should try to order Japanese version of the artbook or wait for an English one. The RE5 artbook was very good so I'm very interested in this one too.

Edit: Speaking of which. Did anyone here get the collector's edition which included a small art book? Was that good at all? Usually artbooks in collector's editions are really poor. I think I remember one with Tekken 6 or something which was primarily 3D renders and little else.

Well, this is fucking embarrassing.

I ended up getting the game again after finding it for really cheap. I finished up Ada's story as well as the last level of Leon's on veteran last night, and I have to admit, I'm really starting to warm up to it.

Now, I'm not going to kid myself-- there's a lot of things about this game I don't like, and I don't think I'm ever going to downright think this is a good game, but if you treat it like a big, over the top monster show that has resulted from the events of the earlier games and starring most of the central cast... fuck... it's not so bad. The new camera is definitely an improvement, and the game has a lot of content. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface and the higher difficulties scare the shit out of me. Basically, I'm finding that, despite there being some really dumb things like the bad vehicle sections that I absolutely hate, and the general vibe of Jake's story through the music and how "cool" he is, for a lot of the things I dislike, there are some things that I really do like.

Crazy what magic little time and some hype cool down can work. This is a C- game at best, but while it doesn't necessarily scratch a Resident Evil itch, it does have the whole huge global outbreak and crazy fucking monsters thing going for it, which is what I suppose the story was inevitably leading to. I think the gameplay is amazing, I just really, really, really reaaaallllyyyy want them to bring back the puzzles and environmental layout of the earlier games, where you can get lost in environments and have to not only fight but find your way through the game. If they could work puzzles back in and give it a better horror atmosphere and vibe, I think they could get the series back on track.

Or maybe I've just convinced myself that the game isn't bad because as an RE fanboy I really can't stand the idea of being so disappointed in it. Whatever the case, I'm legitimately having fun with the game and I don't regret picking it up again. It's okay if no one takes my opinions seriously anymore, I get it. Backpedaling doesn't do one favors when it comes to future debate. Like I said there are still a lot of things I greatly dislike and I still don't think it's an acceptable Resident Evil game, but it does have some elements that I liked about the earlier installments.

Story is still refried dog shit
I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, maybe this weekend (got it half price), but this is pretty much what my little brother and co-worker said as well. It's meant to be a huge "this is it" type of story and they feel that people are being way too hyperbolic on hating the game. They both admit that it's not the greatest thing they have ever played but that it's not bad either.

I personally can't wait to get started on it. I enjoyed the demos quite a bit and I heard all the complaints so I think I'm well prepared for what to expect.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Didn't this game sell best on PS3? Yet we are the ones who get dicked over on DLC...

I hate the time exclusives but at the same time... I get that they're a business. But how much do they take their costumers into their consideration? I mean yeah they listen to some complains, see the patches but they didn't do so much else? Wonder if we'll see more patches, and if they'll ever adress the complaints for the DLC modes if they have other content coming. If we're going by RE5 then we can expect story dlc and mercenaries characters and costumes, hopefully we will get some of those costumes in the artwork.

I'm no PC user so I'm jealous of the No Mercy expansion :(

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Finally managed a Solo full 150 combo on Urban Chaos just now with my favourite character, Sherry EX. Holding Napad is such a pain, and I pretty much stopped trying for melee kills after the Bloodshot wave that starts at 75. Scored 1.19m which I'm happy with, but definitely going to try and improve on that. I want that Sherry EX3 costume already!

EDIT: I tried the auto-QTE option on Sherry Chapter 2, and the only thing it automatically performed was the snowmobile jump. It also looks like if you use it, you forfeit the chance of getting an S rank?

Mercenaries truly remains the most addictive thing ever IMO.

I have a lot of map learning though. I'm only getting like 40-50 kills right now.

Grisby

Random poke into the thread. Did they ever release any costumes for mercs? What about those original ps1 blocky deals? Haven't logged into Re.net in a while but I did have a bunch of points saved up.

Has the dlc just been maps and modes?

maomaoIYP

Random poke into the thread. Did they ever release any costumes for mercs? What about those original ps1 blocky deals? Haven't logged into Re.net in a while but I did have a bunch of points saved up.

Has the dlc just been maps and modes?

The Ex3 costumes have been unlocked via RE.net events, looks like you've missed the first one already. Another one is coming in a few days time.

I have 122,000+ RE.net points. What should I do with those, unlock some of those costumes? I don't know if I should save the points, if the costumes can be unlocked through playing the game, etc.

Grisby

The Ex3 costumes have been unlocked via RE.net events, looks like you've missed the first one already. Another one is coming in a few days time.
Hmmmm, alright. Thanks for the heads up, I might give it a shot.

I think Capcom dropped the ball on the extras though. I know they probably ran out of time, given that 600 dudes were probably furiously trying to get it done. Still, I replayed RE5 sp soooooo many times with the different outfits for Chris/Sheva.

maomaoIYP

Hmmmm, alright. Thanks for the heads up, I might give it a shot.

I think Capcom dropped the ball on the extras though. I know they probably ran out of time, given that 600 dudes were probably furiously trying to get it done. Still, I replayed RE5 sp soooooo many times with the different outfits for Chris/Sheva.

Yeah they totally dropped the ball on allowing the extra costumes for the campaign. Actually I'd like more extra costumes as well.

I have 122,000+ RE.net points. What should I do with those, unlock some of those costumes? I don't know if I should save the points, if the costumes can be unlocked through playing the game, etc.
Unlock the costumes, those are palette swaps of ones you can unlock playing mercs. There's no other way to unlock these palette swaps.

Unlock the costumes, those are palette swaps of ones you can unlock playing mercs. There's no other way to unlock these palette swaps.

Will I be able to use them immediately even if I haven't yet unlocked the original versions of those costumes?

Also when it comes to infinite ammo and higher difficulties, which are the best weapons to get infinite ammo for, magnum I'm assuming but what else? No infinite rocket launcher? Also does unlocking infinite ammo forfeit trophy collecting for those relating to finishing the campaigns on higher difficulties?

Evolved1

Will I be able to use them immediately even if I haven't yet unlocked the original versions of those costumes?

Also when it comes to infinite ammo and higher difficulties, which are the best weapons to get infinite ammo for, magnum I'm assuming but what else? No infinite rocket launcher? Also does unlocking infinite ammo forfeit trophy collecting for those relating to finishing the campaigns on higher difficulties?

Yes to your first question.

I don't use infinite ammo, but generally in RE games that doesn't affect trophies... so probably not in RE6 either.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Nah you can get trophies if you use unlimited ammo.

Anyone else having issues logging into re.net using a capcomunity account? All of a sudden it says my username or password is incorrect and I've tried logging in like 15 times and still nothing. No problem whatsoever logging in with a capcom account though.

*edit* looking at capcomunity forums it seems its not just me.

I think that I might start playing this game tonight after having it Day 1 wrapped and never opening it once. All the complaints about the camera and lack of chapter selection had made me wait, but now I read that everything is fixed. It is fixed, right?

Sectus

I think that I might start playing this game tonight after having it Day 1 wrapped and never opening it once. All the complaints about the camera and lack of chapter selection had made me wait, but now I read that everything is fixed. It is fixed, right?

Well, there are fixes. Camera options, tweaked difficulty, option for automatic QTEs, and updates like that are nice. The people complaining about the game complained about a lot of things, so I think those complainers still aren't happy and won't be happy unless Capcom remakes the game from scratch.

I think the game is in a good state now so you might as well jump into it. Unless you have a gaming PC, in which case you could consider waiting 2 months for an even better experience.

Well, there are fixes. Camera options, tweaked difficulty, option for automatic QTEs, and updates like that are nice. The people complaining about the game complained about a lot of things, so I think those complainers still aren't happy and won't be happy unless Capcom remakes the game from scratch.

I think the game is in a good state now so you might as well jump into it. Unless you have a gaming PC, in which case you could consider waiting 2 months for an even better experience.

Then I am firing it up tonight. My biggest issue with games is if the camera is a complete failure, and that seems to be fixed.

Sectus

Then I am firing it up tonight. My biggest issue with games is if the camera is a complete failure, and that seems to be fixed.

Note that the camera fixes are optional. The default camera is still the same. You'll need to go to game settings in the options screen to change it.

Evolved1

Note that the camera fixes are optional. The default camera is still the same. You'll need to go to game settings in the options screen to change it.

How do you keep default, just all zeros? I haven't gotten back into the campaign since the camera fix. I actually like the close camera during the campaign, and quite like how they give you different angles/perspectives during the game. I like how sometimes you get a wide shit, and other times it's very claustrophobic. I hope this is still in the game, even after I messed with the settings. :(

Sectus

How do you keep default, just all zeros? I haven't gotten back into the campaign since the camera fix. I actually like the close camera during the campaign, and quite like how they give you different angles/perspectives during the game. I like how sometimes you get a wide shit, and other times it's very claustrophobic. I hope this is still in the game, even after I messed with the settings. :(

Yeah, all 0's is the default.

You'll still get various camera angles in the game if you change the camera settings, although some of the camera angles will get ridiculous. Basically the game combines your camera settings with whatever is supposed to be shown. So if you've increased the FOV and you enter the big dining room in leon chapter 1 where the camera zoom out, it'll zoom out like crazy.

Bollocks

Is there a good guide that details all the serpent emblems checkpoint by checkpoint that got introduced with the latest update?
All I find is guides from last year where it is on a per chapter basis. :/

Gyrian

Couldn't resist, I've ordered the new art book that came out on Friday!

Mercs continues to be as much fun as ever.
I think it reminds me of typically much, much older games where gameplay and scoring is the driver.
It should've gotten old by now, with the crazy hours I've put it in, but it somehow hasn't.
Easily my favorite iteration of this classic Resident Evil sub game. :D

I've now made it to 150 duo combos in most stages together with Kyouji, only the redness of Liquid Fire remains!
Not too far in solo, either. I think I've finally found a workable Ada path in Steel Beast.

MechaX

I'm still trying to trudge through this game.

Surprisingly, Jake/Sherry's storyline was the campaign that I actually had the closest thing to "fun" in. Yeah, J'avo all the time got kind of boring, but there is at least more to play around with (like Jake's CQC style) and the both of them got better weapons than in the other scenario I thought.

Chris's campaign was just... ugh. Constant shooting galleries, and stages becoming way too drawn out for their own good (Like spending about 30 minutes running around this area, killing respawning Super Soldier J'avos just to lower a goddamn set of stairs). The campaign was just not fun for me; more often than not, it felt like work. Actually, that's the same vibe I'm getting from Ada's campaign right now (oh yeah, let's try a stealth-esque segment with this game). It's just not that fun and the story gave away so much in the other campaigns that I can't even bring myself to care about anything going on in Ada's scenario.

maomaoIYP

I've now made it to 150 duo combos in most stages together with Kyouji, only the redness of Liquid Fire remains!
Not too far in solo, either. I think I've finally found a workable Ada path in Steel Beast.

Steel Beast with Ada? Damn, that's a tough one. I still haven't worked out a path for Requiem or Liquid Fire.

Damnit Capcom find a way to patch in the alt costumes for the campaign. I find myself playing mercs sometimes just for the outfits. Ada looks sooooo good. PC version please save us.
LTYzzH0.jpg

9PEe5jv.jpg

dot

Damnit Capcom find a way to patch in the alt costumes for the campaign. I find myself playing mercs sometimes just for the outfits. Ada looks sooooo good. PC version please save us.

Wait, you can only use alt costumes in Mercs? :/ Haven't played the game in months so i don't really know.

And is that one of Ada's costumes? Looking forward to the pc version myself.

So, I just started playing this yesterday but I had to quit because something is wrong with the brightness for me.

I do not have this issue with any other game but when I turn the brightness so that I can just barely see the ''6'' (according to Capcom) the game is just black crushing me. I have it between 10-15.

Gyrian

How do you kill the Napads on Steel Beast without breaking combo? Explosive arrow followed by...?

I'm at the top level by the time Napads roll in. Somewhere around 15-20 is a good idea, with the rocket launcher guys coming soon.
Being there, you have just enough Javos to hold the combo until the 3 Napads that make it to the top are close enough for the kill.
One explosive bolt from the front strips their armor, then 1-2 more complete the kill. There's no need to wait for each bolt to time and explode, just stick them with 3 each ASAP to be safe. You have ample time to keep the combo alive, focus on one at a time.
If any one of them is close enough, quick shot the first bolt to be even faster.

So, I just started playing this yesterday but I had to quit because something is wrong with the brightness for me.

I do not have this issue with any other game but when I turn the brightness so that I can just barely see the ''6'' (according to Capcom) the game is just black crushing me. I have it between 10-15.

It's like this for me, too.
There are some small areas that are essentially 100% black crushed regardless of your brightness setting (Catacombs come to mind).
Considering no other MT Framework game behaves this way in my setup, I would think it's intentional for mood and unease (particularly in Leon's campaign).
I've left mine where everything else looks balanced.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I leave mine in the 20-24 range. That brightness adjustment page is useless.

BTW how do I unlock an EX3 costume? I have a token from the last event but can't figure it out.

I have the brightness at max... playing Catacombs otherwise just doesnt work for me. I can't see SHIT and certain on parts of Urban Chaos as well...

Evolved1

I leave mine in the 20-24 range. That brightness adjustment page is useless.

BTW how do I unlock an EX3 costume? I have a token from the last event but can't figure it out.

We have to wait a while longer... they said end of the month. We're close.

edit: I keep the suggested brightness. Like Dragon's Dogma, I feel as if the devs intended some areas to be dark. Adds a little tension... though I do occasionally turn it up a bit for mercs when I go into options to turn off the music.

We have to wait a while longer... they said end of the month. We're close.

edit: I keep the suggested brightness. Like Dragon's Dogma, I feel as if the devs intended some areas to be dark. Adds a little tension... though I do occasionally turn it up a bit for mercs when I go into options to turn off the music.

There is a difference between tension and just not seeing an enemy that is 10 feet away from you.

Top Bottom