• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

maomaoIYP

I'm at the top level by the time Napads roll in. Somewhere around 15-20 is a good idea, with the rocket launcher guys coming soon.
Being there, you have just enough Javos to hold the combo until the 3 Napads that make it to the top are close enough for the kill.
One explosive bolt from the front strips their armor, then 1-2 more complete the kill. There's no need to wait for each bolt to time and explode, just stick them with 3 each ASAP to be safe. You have ample time to keep the combo alive, focus on one at a time.
If any one of them is close enough, quick shot the first bolt to be even faster.

Normally by the time the 1st Napad comes in I've already emptied the top level, I rush all the Napads all the way down to the lowest.....I've got to try your strategy with Ada, normally I have no idea what to do with her crossbow.

i'm ALWAYS dropping the combo on liquid fire. i have no idea what to do on that level
The layout confuses the heck out of me.

Gyrian

Normally by the time the 1st Napad comes in I've already emptied the top level, I rush all the Napads all the way down to the lowest.....I've got to try your strategy with Ada, normally I have no idea what to do with her crossbow.

If you take your path like mine, the bottom spawning Napads will be arriving at the middle level by the time you kill your 3rd one up top.

Ada's crossbow, like everything else Ada, is deadly with precision but leaves virtually no room for error.

A couple of thoughts:
• Explosive bolts can be very handy to give yourself a few seconds to separate from the action, e.g. quickshot stick one to an enemy type you're positive has taken a death sentence, then run off to do something else while the timer ticks away.
• Mutated Javo (including the fairly aggravating ones with grasshopper legs) can be quickshotted with regular bolts to stick and paralyze them against the ground (easy +5 seconds melee kill). Very helpful against shielded Javo, just run past them and quickshot.

MjFrancis

So, I just started playing this yesterday but I had to quit because something is wrong with the brightness for me.
I noticed the brightness adjustment screen gave broken advice, too. I adjusted it to 20-something, because otherwise I simply couldn't see where I was going and I got flashbacks from playing Doom 3 on the recommended brightness levels, too. It's a weird mechanic that's really only justifiable if you consider every RE6 protagonist to have uncorrected nearsighted vision.

The other fly in my vision with RE6 is playing Leon's campaign as Helena - on the 360 her breast is constantly clipping her arm with her gun drawn and kept low. With the POV as it is and playing a campaign as her for so many hours I can't help but notice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
We have to wait a while longer... they said end of the month. We're close.

Oh, gotcha. I was sure I was going blind or something.

The other fly in my vision with RE6 is playing Leon's campaign as Helena - on the 360 her breast is constantly clipping her arm with her gun drawn and kept low. With the POV as it is and playing a campaign as her for so many hours I can't help but notice.

Heh yeah, I noticed this in some of the walkthroughs before the game was released and was positive they would fix it before the game went gold, but alas no. You get used to it after a while.

Wait, you can only use alt costumes in Mercs? :/ Haven't played the game in months so i don't really know.

And is that one of Ada's costumes? Looking forward to the pc version myself.

Unfortunately alternate outfits are ony available in the extra modes. And yes thats one of Ada's outfits.

JerkShep

So how long is Ada's Campaign compared to the rest? I have just finished the three main campaigns. Chris and Leon's lasted 7-8 hours for me, while Jake's a bit longer than 5.

I have to say, playing the game in chronological order, with the controls explained (thanks Neiteio!), the new camera and a couple of other fixes, the game is not as bad as people pictured it. The game is too long for his own good, the vehicles sections are so bad, it's full of gimmicks, a couple of chapters could have easily been cut from the game and the roots of the series are forever abandoned, no matter what they say about it. But the gameplay is actually good when you understand the gist of it, and it's so over the top I was grinning like an idiot for half the time (dat Leon's final boss, ahahah). Having no expectation at all certainly helped, but I'm actually glad to have played it, I think I've enjoyed it more than Resident Evil 5.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So how long is Ada's Campaign compared to the rest? I have just finished the three main campaigns. Chris and Leon's lasted 7-8 hours for me, while Jake's a bit longer than 5.

I have to say, playing the game in chronological order, with the controls explained (thanks Neiteio!), the new camera and a couple of other fixes, the game is not as bad as people pictured it. The game is too long for his own good, the vehicles sections are so bad, it's full of gimmicks, a couple of chapters could have easily been cut from the game and the roots of the series are forever abandoned, no matter what they say about it. But the gameplay is actually good when you understand the gist of it, and it's so over the top I was grinning like an idiot for half the time (dat Leon's final boss, ahahah). Having no expectation at all certainly helped, but I'm actually glad to have played it, I think I've enjoyed it more than Resident Evil 5.

I will tell you, playing the game in chrono order probably made it feel longer than it was. Having to replay each crossover section over and over, each time, back to back.

Anyway... Ada's campaign was a bit shorter than the rest. An hour or so for me.

Conflicted on what to spend skill points on. I'm going for all the trophies, so I need to spend them on the upgrades, but I still have Jake and Ada's scenarios to finish on Professional and I'm unsure which weapons to unlock infinite ammo for.

Gyrian

Conflicted on what to spend skill points on. I'm going for all the trophies, so I need to spend them on the upgrades, but I still have Jake and Ada's scenarios to finish on Professional and I'm unsure which weapons to unlock infinite ammo for.

You're already more than halfway done, so it won't make too much of a difference what you choose at this point.
The biggest bang for the spend on clearing Professional solo is by far Field Medic.

Infinite ammo doesn't matter much if you've already gone through earlier difficulties since you get to keep those spoils for the next go. You can buy infinite Elephant Killer for Jake, but I'd still recommend braving without since any of the infinites will put a sizeable dent into your Mad Skillz trophy progress.
I wouldn't buy anything for Ada's campaign either, it doesn't seem to suffer as much ammo anxiety as the others.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
All you need for Professional is Field Medic maxed out. Set the AI to "follow" and you can literally stand face-to-face with any boss and dominate them. It's kinda funny.

Thanks!

Set the AI to "follow" and you can literally stand face-to-face with any boss and dominate them. It's kinda funny.

I have to see this.

On another note and to echo a post someone made recently, I REALLY would love it if you could use the mercenaries costumes in the campaign.

Riposte

I think the game loses a good deal of its appeal by going solo for reasons like that. But I could see why some people wouldn't care. I still preach co-op + No Hope + chronological order all day.

I think you'll want to do some good farming areas over again in No Hope if you want to get the skill achievements.

Gyrian

Mercs seems bad for point gain. I replayed the campaign a lot and felt like I got more from that.

Well, I'd say that Mercs is great for piling up points without quite meaning to.
I'm sitting at 900k right now and I definitely don't go actively after the skill point drops. You are correct however in that it's not as straightforward as a farming run.

On a related note, I'm so freaking happy right now.

vyBhuly.jpg

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Congrats Gyrian! Nicely done.

The last two Mercenaries maps are also out on Japanese PSN now, for those of us with that version of the game.

I'm curious to see who Capcom will pick for the Japanese voice acting.

maomaoIYP

Well, I'd say that Mercs is great for piling up points without quite meaning to.
I'm sitting at 900k right now and I definitely don't go actively after the skill point drops. You are correct however in that it's not as straightforward as a farming run.

On a related note, I'm so freaking happy right now.

http://i.imgur.com/vyBhuly.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Oh MAN that is awesome! I tried learning Ada on High Seas last night, made it to 130+ then I dropped the combo after I messed up on the bug head slashing dude. ;_;

Gyrian

Thanks! Our duo runs there gave me a lot of insight on what to try solo. :D

Oh MAN that is awesome! I tried learning Ada on High Seas last night, made it to 130+ then I dropped the combo after I messed up on the bug head slashing dude. ;_;

Those guys used to intimidate the crap out of me (they still are kind of a random element), but you know they turned out to be a surprisingly simple critical counter? A little messy depending on your surroundings, but it's very doable if they're running straight at you from any kind of distance.

Looking forward to the new maps!

Sectus

Maps are out now on xbox. I just did one attempt at rooftop mission and I got a combo of 143. Kinda annoyed I didn't get a full combo as that would have been fun for a first attempt at a stage.

Gyrian

Maps are out now on xbox. I just did one attempt at rooftop mission and I got a combo of 143. Kinda annoyed I didn't get a full combo as that would have been fun for a first attempt at a stage.

They're barely out of the oven and you hit 143 first go?
Haha, where did that land you in the leader boards?

Sectus

They're barely out of the oven and you hit 143 first go?
Haha, where did that land you in the leader boards?

I ended up #4. There's already one guy with a score of 1.3million in solo.

I wasn't nearly as lucky on creature workshop though. First run was horrible as I spent half of the run looking for health, so I decided to restart. Second run went better but the combo broke several times and the highest combo was 90.

I think rooftop mission could end up being one of my favourite stages as it's very unique with having many bosses (9 in total I think), and it's one of the few zombie maps in the game.

Creature workshop might become one of my least favourite stages as the framerate is worse, and you'll be fighting lots of mutated javo, the type which I have no freaking idea how to melee. For instance, you'll be fighting shielded javo with armoured legs, and you'll be fighting pincer head javo with armoured legs. I just have no idea how to deal with those besides shooting like crazy.

It also has the same thing as in steel beast that you'll suddenly get a big wave of napads. Which I'm not very fond of as it means you'll need a character with magnum or shotgun to deal with them effectively.

Evolved1

The last two Mercenaries maps are also out on Japanese PSN now, for those of us with that version of the game.

I'm curious to see who Capcom will pick for the Japanese voice acting.

final edit: i think i'm just too dumb for this post

Sectus

Oh... idk if I'm really late to this again. But I noticed the maps were up on US PSN a few days ago.

Was JPN just lagging behind or something?

edit: lol apparently people are waiting for US maps? they've been sitting on PSN for days. Saw them on there by accident the other day, while searching for other stuff. I was like, oh the maps! I should tell gaf! and then thought , wait I'm probably just behind the curve again.

edit2: ok wait, haha, what are the two maps you're talking about?

He's talking about Map Pack B, which has rooftop mission and creature workshop.

Evolved1

He's talking about Map Pack B, which has rooftop mission and creature workshop.

yeah, haha I eventually figured it out... I need to start reading all the posts before I post. each new one I read lead to new edit... and then failure. doh!

Gyrian

Creature workshop might become one of my least favourite stages as the framerate is worse, and you'll be fighting lots of mutated javo, the type which I have no freaking idea how to melee. For instance, you'll be fighting shielded javo with armoured legs, and you'll be fighting pincer head javo with armoured legs. I just have no idea how to deal with those besides shooting like crazy.

Interesting! Might just be the most difficult Javo map from what you're describing.
I can't remember if Ada's bowgun can still pin down those mutated leg enemies with a single bolt, but it would sure make things more manageable.

It also has the same thing as in steel beast that you'll suddenly get a big wave of napads. Which I'm not very fond of as it means you'll need a character with magnum or shotgun to deal with them effectively.

Or some explosive bolts. :D

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEH_vmyCow - That's my first solo run of Rooftop Mission.

Great run! There was some seriously solid fighting within, and a very cruel combo end there @ 143...
Man, they really went strong there with the miniboss waves!

maomaoIYP

Finally gave up on trying to keep the napad or the chainsaw dude alive....and then a 2nd wave of chainsaw + whoppers, holy shit....and then I died again.

Ricker

Been playing this fresh in co-op with my nephew and damn,it's pretty good I think...we did Leon and Helena first,some of the QTE I hated but overall,it was awesome,then we did Ada and that was great as well...yeah you redo some Boss fights but from a different perspective and it was shorter...now on Jake and Sherry and that is pretty great also,although my nephew was laughing at me on how many times I died during the snowmobile part(took us 10 tries because of me dying lol)...the motorcycle part was easier...game is fun in co-op,having a blast.

Crazy that my clock is over 55 hours total and it says I'm less than 30% complete. Well, can't say the game doesn't offer enough content, that's for sure.

Really can't wait for next gen RE. If they can manage to keep the gameplay and content of RE6 while mixing in bigger environments with more complex exploration and better atmosphere... yeah I'd be content with that.

Riposte

Crazy that my clock is over 55 hours total and it says I'm less than 30% complete. Well, can't say the game doesn't offer enough content, that's for sure.

Really can't wait for next gen RE. If they can manage to keep the gameplay and content of RE6 while mixing in bigger environments with more complex exploration and better atmosphere... yeah I'd be content with that.

Don't get too excited. I think that is counting all the difficulties.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEH_vmyCow - That's my first solo run of Rooftop Mission.

Oh man that's a rough way to lose a combo. I don't fuck with Bloodshots when I'm at the periphery of their leap range; the counter prompt is really iffy at that range. Still, some good gunplay in that video. The sniper quick switch is something I'm going to need to learn.

Well I didn't, one of the mods did to troll me lol

Haha. Hope it's not permanent.

Maps are out on PSN

*edit* Oh man I love Rooftop mission. The wind blowing at the start is awesome. I Killed all 150 but max combo was only 71. Obviously no where near as good as Sectus' 1st run but its rare for me to get the full 150 on my first try. Only bad thing is the whoppers dont drop green herbs. Only found 2 green herbs on the map but theres gotta be more.

Time to test out creature workshop.

maomaoIYP

Maps are out on PSN

*edit* Oh man I love Rooftop mission. The wind blowing at the start is awesome. I Killed all 150 but max combo was only 71. Obviously no where near as good as Sectus' 1st run but its rare for me to get the full 150 on my first try. Only bad thing is the whoppers dont drop green herbs. Only found 2 green herbs on the map but theres gotta be more.

Time to test out creature workshop.

There are 3 green herbs, 1 first aid spray, 1 grenade, 1 flash, 1 incendiary, 1 remote bomb....at least. Didn't find a red herb.

I don't like the creature workshop, partly due to the layout.

Both map packs contain 2 maps each.....but that's like hours and hours of entertainment already.

Yeah I already got them, I just didn't know if there were any new costumes or anything.

Anyway, beat all scenarios on Professional, and I'm lacking only four serpent emblems but I have no idea which ones. Oh christ.

Evolved1

Yeah I already got them, I just didn't know if there were any new costumes or anything.

Anyway, beat all scenarios on Professional, and I'm lacking only four serpent emblems but I have no idea which ones. Oh christ.

Easy to figure out... go to collections and check the boxes.

Each row represents a particular level for those characters. And they are in order of pick up, left to right.

So, for example, say you're missing an emblem in the top leftmost corner, that would correspond with the first level, and the first emblem. If your were missing the next one to the right as well, that would be first level (chapter, I guess they're called) and second emblem. And so on.

Some emblems can only be acquired using specific characters... and do require an alt character replay to get them.

There are 3 green herbs, 1 first aid spray, 1 grenade, 1 flash, 1 incendiary, 1 remote bomb....at least. Didn't find a red herb.

I don't like the creature workshop, partly due to the layout.

I found a red herb and the 1st chainsaw guy drops a first aid spray so that should cover all the items for Rooftop Mission.

Creature workshop is super pretty but I dont like the layout either.

Anyone know if the game keeps count of your kills even if you die in mercenaries? I've died a ton these past few days but am wondering if all those melee kills I've gotten in the process still counted towards the re.net event going on right now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Gah, I really want to play RE6 right now but I got wrist surgery two weeks ago and can't use my left hand until it fully heals. There's only so much XCOM/Civ V one man can play.

Top Bottom