• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Did not know that... obviously. This helps!

Also, what do you mean by an alternate character replay?

Well, in any given level you use either of the two characters, but most people play as Leon, Chris and Jake. What I mean is, in each of the campaigns, there are a couple emblems that you can only get as the alt (Helena, Sherry, Piers).

maomaoIYP

I found a red herb and the 1st chainsaw guy drops a first aid spray so that should cover all the items for Rooftop Mission.

Creature workshop is super pretty but I dont like the layout either.

Anyone know if the game keeps count of your kills even if you die in mercenaries? I've died a ton these past few days but am wondering if all those melee kills I've gotten in the process still counted towards the re.net event going on right now.

Where's the red herb? The kills count even if you die.

Well, in any given level you use either of the two characters, but most people play as Leon, Chris and Jake. What I mean is, in each of the campaigns, there are a couple emblems that you can only get as the alt (Helena, Sherry, Piers).

Weirdly, I like playing as the "alternate" characters. I like how smaller Piers is compared to Chris and I like, uh, looking at Sherry and Helena.

But on the flip side, Jake's melee combat is fun as hell and Leon looks badass. Chris just... I dunno. They've never been able to strike a colorful personality for him and the ridiculous amnesia "I'm fucking pissed" subplot didn't help.

Chris was OKAY in RE5. I think he needs Jill or Claire around him to really make him more likable. Then again if I were around Claire or Jill I'd probably be in a generally better mood myself.

Evolved1

Chris has the best punches in video gaming today. Captain Falcon can stand aside.

Is that what you were doing? Practicing your falcon punch and hurt your hand? You gotta work your way up to boulders bro...

Chris has the best line in RE6, and probably in (for me) all of RE.

It's when he's going psycho after "Ada" in the snake building... everyone is getting killed, Piers is trying to talk some sense into him and he has the most deadpan "Shuuut uup." lol that shit cracks me up every time.

Dead

well not really...yet
Started playing the game again, first time since November, and man, the camera fix hugely improved my enjoyment of the game. Night and day difference in terms of visual comfort.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is that what you were doing? Practicing your falcon punch and hurt your hand? You gotta work your way up to boulders bro...

LOL I wish it was that cool. I tore my TFCC ligament at the gym, and since the wrist doesn't get much blood flow it doesn't heal by itself, so I had to get surgery. The worst part is no RE6 for the next 4 weeks!! Arghhhhh.

Sectus

Got my revenge on rooftop mission solo now. Got a 150 combo this time... and kept all 3 ubistvo alive until the end. That made the run completely different from anything else I've done in mercs. I'll get the video uploaded of that later today.

I did a stupid thing of going with power counter instead of time bonus+ in the run. I could have had a higher score as I didn't need power counter at all.

maomaoIYP

Got my revenge on rooftop mission solo now. Got a 150 combo this time... and kept all 3 ubistvo alive until the end. That made the run completely different from anything else I've done in mercs. I'll get the video uploaded of that later today.

I did a stupid thing of going with power counter instead of time bonus+ in the run. I could have had a higher score as I didn't need power counter at all.

Holy shit. You're the top score now I suppose? Can't wait to see this man!

Evolved1

LOL I wish it was that cool. I tore my TFCC ligament at the gym, and since the wrist doesn't get much blood flow it doesn't heal by itself, so I had to get surgery. The worst part is no RE6 for the next 4 weeks!! Arghhhhh.

Okay what the heck at the gym causes that, because I never want it to happen. haha :( anyway sorry about you luck. But you should tell people you falcon punched a boulder.

Pretty crazy, I' like to see this... I've been sucking at mercs lately. Need to get back into playing more. Backlog is making it hard.

Sectus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOyDKFznK40 - 1298k on Rooftop Mission solo as Chris1

Holy shit. You're the top score now I suppose? Can't wait to see this man!
I'm ranked #6. If I hadn't chosen the wrong skill, I think the extra points from that would have made it #5.

I'm not sure if this strategy is ideal. As you can tell from the video, I wasn't able to do many melees. The run could have done better, but I'm not sure if it could have been so good to get #1. This is also on the 360. I haven't looked at PS3 scores, but I imagine I would be ranked even lower there.

Evolved1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOyDKFznK40 - 1298k on Rooftop Mission solo as Chris1

I'm ranked #6. If I hadn't chosen the wrong skill, I think the extra points from that would have made it #5.

I'm not sure if this strategy is ideal. As you can tell from the video, I wasn't able to do many melees. The run could have done better, but I'm not sure if it could have been so good to get #1. This is also on the 360. I haven't looked at PS3 scores, but I imagine I would be ranked even lower there.

Why would you be lower on PS3?

Evolved1

There's more people playing on the PS3 compared to 360. The events is a good examples of this. The current ongoing event has 10,000 participants on 360 and 24,000 participants on PS3.

Oh... okay, makes sense. I was wondering if maybe the really renowned mercs players were on one system or the other.

maomaoIYP

WOW. What a run. This must be the optimal strategy, I've been trying to do the same thing as Chris2 except with more melees. Get surprised by the chainsaw every time after the invincibility ends. I've also been trying to leave the Napad alive, unfortunately the chainsaw dude kills it for me almost instantly.

Sectus

WOW. What a run. This must be the optimal strategy, I've been trying to do the same thing as Chris2 except with more melees. Get surprised by the chainsaw every time after the invincibility ends. I've also been trying to leave the Napad alive, unfortunately the chainsaw dude kills it for me almost instantly.

I've tried a run where I killed the chainsaw bosses as they spawn, and even then it's super hard to keep the Napad alive. He just seems to die instantly once there's chainsaws or whoppers around.

If you're going for keeping the chainsaw bosses alive, I highly recommend playing with headphones. Being able to hear how close the boss is is extremely useful. I dunno how to set up melees in this type of run. I tried a few runs where I was more aggressive and I tried to do normal or counter melees, but I died several times because the boss was too close. I ended up with the strategy I use in the video, where I shoot an enemy from afar once or twice, and then kill them with a sprinting melee.

The soundtrack for this game is so hit or miss. There's a lot of really terrible MIDI sounding action filler music that just makes me borderline cringe, but then there's some real home runs like some of the boss themes and setpiece tracks. I swear to god the final boss tracks in this game are fucking amazing. But then again the RE series has had consistently incredible final boss tracks. They just really like to nail final boss tracks in this series and they always do. I can't think of one "main" RE game with a less than completely stellar final boss track. The "weakest" was Code Veronica's, but even that one was still really damn good.

What I love about Jake's final boss tracks is that they feel greatly inspired by Michael Giacchino's score for Speed Racer. And that's a pretty great score to be inspired by.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Okay what the heck at the gym causes that, because I never want it to happen. haha :( anyway sorry about you luck. But you should tell people you falcon punched a boulder.

Not really sure, the pain started a few hours after I left the gym. My guess is it was the deadlift since I had both palms facing the same direction and was having trouble keeping hold of the bar. Lesson learned I guess, but damn do wrist injuries suck. On the plus side, having a cast is pretty awesome for picking up girls. Never would have thought.

Ooh, watching now.

Edit: Haha I see you didn't mess around with the bloodshots this time. I also think MVP goes to the Ubistvo who saved your combo whenever it was in danger. :p

Had a 103 combo going with napad still alive but dropped it at rooftop mission with Ada ex. Missed my sniper rifle headshot on a bsaa zombie to lose it. Had a ton of time left too, like 5 mintues. The quest for 150 continues.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Heads-up guys, you can redeem your ticket for the EX costume of your choice on RE.net. Go go! Time to test out my Sherry EX3~

maomaoIYP

Heads-up guys, you can redeem your ticket for the EX costume of your choice on RE.net. Go go! Time to test out my Sherry EX3~

Thanks! Going now!

edit: They've also increased the agent level, and added a new "creature level" counter, I wonder what that is?

Nori Chan

Was just about to post that lol

Unfortunately it's the same loadout as the ex costumes :\

I picked Ada ex 3. Also if anyone was wondering, no you can't buy it with RE points. So if you were saving them, like I was, hoping that they would do that, you're better off buying the other ex2 costumes.

I'm holding onto my points but I wasn't holding onto for the EX3's knowing it'd be futile. I want to wait it out and see if they add anything in the future worth using the points on.

I can't decide who I want. EX Sherry is my main, but RPD Leon is so much cooler than kid Sherry.

I'll probably wait to see what happens with the next EX3 event tomorrow before I pick one.

I've seen vides of Ada, Leon, Sherry and Chris retro costumes. So far Ada looks the best to me. I'm waiting for Jake, Pier and Helena video. I haven't chosen my costume yet as I want to see them all before I choose.

Also if anyone was wondering, no you can't buy it with RE points. So if you were saving them, like I was, hoping that they would do that, you're better off buying the other ex2 costumes.

That's really lame. How else are you suppose to obtain them?

You can see all the retro costumes here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UGY5OK6I#t=13m14s

They'll not have the same weapons as shown in the video, but you get to see how they look in action at least.

Thanks. I just noticed you uploaded the video on September 28th 2012! How is it possible? So the retro costumes were locked on the disc? Is this the stuff I've been hearing about Capcom practice of on-disc DLC? Another thing I noticed the characters has different weapons load out. How did you do this? How do you mod this game?

Sectus

Thanks. I just noticed you uploaded the video on September 28th 2012! How is it possible? So the retro costumes were locked on the disc? Is this the stuff I've been hearing about Capcom practice of on-disc DLC? Another thing I noticed the characters has different weapons load out. How did you do this? How do you mod this game?

I used a jtag xbox to mod this (memory editing to be specific). The different loadouts was actually a side effect of how I accessed the characters. The quickest way I found to access the characters was to select one character, and then force the game to load another character while the game was loading. That meant I got the characters with the wrong loadouts. I was lucky I got the game several days before the release date (I had ordered two copies from 2 different stores in case they would send it before the release date... turned out they both did!), and since I had experience modding the demos, I was able to make this mod the same day I got the game.

I'm not sure if you could call this on-disc DLC since it is unlocked without paying any money. But it does feel like Capcom tried to have DLC development similar to games with on-disc DLC, but also tried to avoid the kind of spectacle they got with SFxT. All the DLC stages was completed by launch, but taken off the disc so people wouldn't complain about it. It's a similar deal with the costumes, no hope difficulty, and agent. Those were completely on the disc, but they're unlocked for free, so they're not DLC. The only "true" DLC we've gotten with the game are the versus modes. Those were not finished by the time the game was finished.

Gyrian

I'm holding onto my points but I wasn't holding onto for the EX3's knowing it'd be futile. I want to wait it out and see if they add anything in the future worth using the points on.

That's my thinking also, they easily at least release another wave of colors.
Diorama pieces are not really doing it for me, haha.

Evolved1

Chris' alt is pretty awesome (too bad you can't actually use the katana lol) and Sherry's alt is really popular too.

Evolved1

Dude this is a hard choice... because Chris actually looks pretty awesome. And I use him the most in mercs. It's just neat seeing RE1 Chris running around with modern gameplay.

But Peirs is a decent looking character too... and I HATE his nascar outfit, so I never use him, and maybe I actually would with this new costume.

Hard choice...

Also, I hate Jake's stupid puffy coat, so this alternate appeals to me, at least I'd get to use the alt loadout, right? And not have to see the dumb baller jacket?

Evolved1

What's the best skill for Mercs anyways?

Depends. I'd say on zombie maps, Power Counter is the best. And on all other maps Time+.

Keep in mind, whatever Sectus says... is more than likely the true correct answer.

Evolved1

Sectus, your RE6 mods are famous. I'm online looking for some information, and in like every thread people are confused about merc laodouts, and it always comes back around to someone explaining to them it was (your) mod.

lol

Gyrian

Time+ is pretty much widely agreed to be the best skill to carry if you're going for a high scoring uninterrupted 150 combo.

But I would also say that the best Mercs skill can also depend on where you are as a player at a given time. Time+ really is generally great, but also totally useless if you're not making it through the end of the session. Some of the skills can help as a bit of a temporary crutch (boosts to stamina, melee, item drops, etc). They can re-inforce a weakness, but you'll want to avoid becoming dependent. Experiment with any that sound like they should help some aspect that's giving you trouble and decide then whether they're making enough of a difference. Until something else goes on to become the constraint.

Sectus

What's the best skill for Mercs anyways?

It depends on what stage you're playing and who you're playing as. In some stages you'll want power counter if that means you can counter kill more enemies without damaging them first. If you're already playing as a character who can counter kill everything (or if power counter doesn't help), then I think time bonus+ is seen as the best skill.

For beginners, increased drop rate is probably a good one.

Evolved1

Man I really suck on any non-zombie map.

I kinda miss the RE5 dudes... guns and mutations are annoying. If I kill one more asshole with a bolt-action shot to the head only to watch him transform and kill my combo... I'm gonna have a heart attack.

Top Bottom