• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well, if you issue the commands while doing a stunt or sliding I think the camera doesn't move.

By the way, kind of a noob question, but does someone know how to earn tickets in RE-NET for unlocking the ex3 costumes?

I'm already playing the online events, but I don't have earn other thing than RE points.

If you kill 1 ogreman within the next few days, you will get an EX3 costume. On PS3 we fulfilled the event requirement sometime yesterday.

So, on PS3, just kill one of them and you get the costume after they compile the results.

360, I'm not sure the status of. But same event. It's the only EX3 costume event I see listed for a while, so get on it now, or you'll be waiting until the next one.

I've killed 3 ogroman for now. Thanks everyone.. My nostalgia will make me pick Leon, Ada or Sherry.

By the way, you can also issue commands without the camera moving if you hold the L1 BUTTON, while you're aiming.

I love this thing of unlocking costumes by using the features of the web... neat...

Nori Chan

For a short time they showed the next costume event.

It involves defeating Debra and it started in march 1st. So I guess a new ex3 costume every month?

Gyrian

At this rate, we'll get a chance at unlocking them all. :)

Alright, I've managed to hit solo 150 combos in Requiem for War and Catacombs!
The former can be very tricky, with regular enemies ruining things in unexpected ways (like a mutation at exactly the wrong time) and all hell breaking loose between rocket launchers and the running machete J'avos.
Catacombs isn't too bad, but it is made more difficult by the darkness and the randomly armored zombies.

Next up, Rail Yard.

maomaoIYP

At this rate, we'll get a chance at unlocking them all. :)

Alright, I've managed to hit solo 150 combos in Requiem for War and Catacombs!
The former can be very tricky, with regular enemies ruining things in unexpected ways (like a mutation at exactly the wrong time) and all hell breaking loose between rocket launchers and the running machete J'avos.
Catacombs isn't too bad, but it is made more difficult by the darkness and the randomly armored zombies.

Next up, Rail Yard.

Still with Ada? Good luck! There's a youtube video of a Ada run on Railyard with 150 combo and the hidden boss as the final kill.

I still can't get 150 with requiem, I tend to get a combo break at around 70 and then later on at 100+ when the normal javo get replaced with the grasshopper ones.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tutorial doesn't explain sliding, back on ground, or anything. Just "here's how to open the menu, here's how to shoot. Here's quick-shooting (for what, LOL CAN'T TELL YOU THAT!)" WTF, Capcom?

Gyrian

Still with Ada? Good luck! There's a youtube video of a Ada run on Railyard with 150 combo and the hidden boss as the final kill.

I still can't get 150 with requiem, I tend to get a combo break at around 70 and then later on at 100+ when the normal javo get replaced with the grasshopper ones.

Yeah, still with Ada until I've done them all, haha.
I'm going to look up that video for some tips, I was surprised to find myself running out of time @ 125 combo. The timer's never really limited me before, but this one's a challenge in the second half. Feels like much fewer opportunities for time extending melee with everything turning crazy.

Requiem becomes more manageable if you can place yourself in the right place at the right time. For example, I was having a lot of trouble with the first rocket launcher guy, who would keep one-shotting me despite me knowing exactly when and where he would appear. I decided to start meeting him where he spawns, up above, by setting up the combo in a way that would flow to the upstairs section around 70. A combo saving example: remote bombs at the top or bottom of ladders can keep things going when your only available enemies are busy using them.

Why do people try to get 150 combo solo on all the stages? Is it just some kind of personal satisfaction?

I would say so. I've found it a lot of fun, and quite rewarding to build your path and strategy on each stage.

maomaoIYP

Why do people try to get 150 combo solo on all the stages? Is it just some kind of personal satisfaction?

Yeah it totally is. I have 150 combo with all characters on mining the depths.

Yeah, still with Ada until I've done them all, haha.
I'm going to look up that video for some tips, I was surprised to find myself running out of time @ 125 combo. The timer's never really limited me before, but this one's a challenge in the second half. Feels like much fewer opportunities for time extending melee with everything turning crazy.

Requiem becomes more manageable if you can place yourself in the right place at the right time. For example, I was having a lot of trouble with the first rocket launcher guy, who would keep one-shotting me despite me knowing exactly when and where he would appear. I decided to start meeting him where he spawns, up above, by setting up the combo in a way that would flow to the upstairs section around 70. A combo saving example: remote bombs at the top or bottom of ladders can keep things going when your only available enemies are busy using them.

I would say so. I've found it a lot of fun, and quite rewarding to build your path and strategy on each stage.
The Ada vid is this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rkr0F3aBvy0

I need to play more of Requiem to figure it out, trying to keep the orgoman alive and moving between buildings without getting instakilled is so difficult. Right now my strat is to grab everything and then camp out at the center building when the orgoman comes. It works to a certain extent, but I haven't figured out where the enemies spawn during my combo breaks.

Evolved1

Some merc loadouts leave me scratching my head.

I have trouble remembering how many health tablets the different kits start with, I wish they listed that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did they make any balance changes to Mercs?

I just played a game of Urban Chaos and was gangbanged by 5 dogs until I died. I literally could do nothing... not heal, not counter, not run, not quickshoot... just one pounce after the other until I died, full health to no health. I don't remember that ever happening before.

maomaoIYP

I just played a game of Urban Chaos and was gangbanged by 5 dogs until I died. I literally could do nothing... not heal, not counter, not run, not quickshoot... just one pounce after the other until I died, full health to no health. I don't remember that ever happening before.

I've never had that happen before, but I do tend to kill the dogs instantly as they appear. As far as I know no balance changes have been made.

Gyrian

No changes; sounds like you were a victim of things going spectacularly wrong in Mercs, as they often do.

On another note, I just picked up on something I hadn't ever noticed before from watching a few Mercs videos.
When you Coup de Grace an enemy, you might have others close enough that get caught in the move as well. This is worth +7 seconds each. Now, I'd thought the Coup de Grace blow itself generated the +7s, but it appears that anything dying for any reason at that exact moment when you perform the move is also worth +7.

Not exactly easy to take advantage of since it's fairly situational, but there's a great example in Rail Yard.
Draw a number of J'avo to the train tracks, by the ladder. Set up one of them for the Coup de Grace (say, quick shot into slide). While that J'avo is dizzied, throw a Fire grenade high up against the pillar with the ladder. As the grenade drops to the floor, Coup de Grace the J'avo. If timed properly, a number of the nearby J'avos will die in the fire blast as the Coup de Grace connects, earning you several +7 seconds. I've gotten +21 and +28 experimenting with this.

Sectus

I got the Japanese RE6 artbook today. It's not bad by any means, but I do find it disappointing compared to RE5. Probably 20% of the book are character concepts (easily the best part), around 70% are monster concepts, and then the rest are weapon renders, vehicle renders, and environment art (mix of renders and concepts).

There's very little unused concepts. That's the thing which made the RE5 artbook so interesting, and there's almost nothing of it here. The character 2P costume concepts is the majority of scrapped ideas shown in the book. I'm not very interested in seeing various monster concepts so I was disappointed that's such a large part of the book. I guess it makes sense though, considering there's so many different enemy types in RE6. It's also disappointing there's so many renders in the book. Majority of environment concepts being renders of final game assets is dull.

Gyrian

I got the Japanese RE6 artbook today. It's not bad by any means, but I do find it disappointing compared to RE5. Probably 20% of the book are character concepts (easily the best part), around 70% are monster concepts, and then the rest are weapon renders, vehicle renders, and environment art (mix of renders and concepts).

There's very little unused concepts. That's the thing which made the RE5 artbook so interesting, and there's almost nothing of it here. The character 2P costume concepts is the majority of scrapped ideas shown in the book. I'm not very interested in seeing various monster concepts so I was disappointed that's such a large part of the book. I guess it makes sense though, considering there's so many different enemy types in RE6. It's also disappointing there's so many renders in the book. Majority of environment concepts being renders of final game assets is dull.

I've just received mine as well. :)

I quite liked what I saw so far, but I haven't had a chance yet to look in too much detail. You're right in that there's very little there they didn't use besides character costumes (some really nice ideas in there, I hope they entertain a couple in the future). There's a couple of nice renders that I hadn't seen anywhere else before, either.
The more time I spend with the game, the more I appreciate the monster design. A few suitably gruesome details I hadn't really noticed before, like Bloodshots being extremely, seriously messed up compared to a cleaner design like a Licker.

On another note, 150 Rail Yard get! 3 more to go. :D

TheSeks

Good lord, these camera angle changes in Jake's first chapter. WHY.jpg

Evolved1

Good lord, these camera angle changes in Jake's first chapter. WHY.jpg

Yeah... that's one really obnoxious and indefensible design decision in the game that comes up frequently enough to get damn annoying. The worst is that you can be attacked by enemies and shit when they take the camera away from you. The camera will be looking at some door you opened, meanwhile you're getting gangbanged by enemies the whole time.

TheSeks

Yeah, I had that happen or loop where Jake gets up, gets shot back to the ground. Get up, try to run or dodge (because the tutorial does fuck-all explaining it) and get knocked down.

maomaoIYP

Holy SHIIIIEEETTTT, I finally made a 150 combo on requiem, managed to get the gnezdo at 70, the 1st orgoman at 130 and the 2nd at 150 giving me 1331K, putting me in the tenth place on the leaderboards if you don't count the cheaters.

Evolved1

Holy SHIIIIEEETTTT, I finally made a 150 combo on requiem, managed to get the gnezdo at 70, the 1st orgoman at 130 and the 2nd at 150 giving me 1331K, putting me in the tenth place on the leaderboards if you don't count the cheaters.

That's hero status man... I will never do anything even close to that.

Congrats.

Sectus

I've never really thought about delaying the ogroman instead of the gnezdo. Did you plan for that, or did you accidentally kill the gnezdo early or something? It seems like delaying the gnezdo would be a safer plan, but I've never actually tried delaying the ogroman before.

maomaoIYP

That's hero status man... I will never do anything even close to that.
Congrats.
Thanks! It's mostly a lot of practice and some memory work, with a bit of patience I'm sure most people can do it too! It's definitely the hardest stage for me for now, although I haven't done liquid fire as well as the new DLC maps yet.
I've never really thought about delaying the ogroman instead of the gnezdo. Did you plan for that, or did you accidentally kill the gnezdo early or something? It seems like delaying the gnezdo would be a safer plan, but I've never actually tried delaying the ogroman before.

It was planned, my strategy after the first orgoman comes out consists entirely of staying inside the center building (mostly on the top floor), so I didn't want to risk getting stuck in the brutal swarm attack by the gnezdo. If I was more ambitious I could possibly kill the first orgoman at 140, the gnezdo at 149 and the second orgoman at 150. I could try for that some day....

Sectus

2 gameplay videos of RE6 for PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvg1dW77tw0 - Various campaign gameplay. Not very interesting as it looks indistinguishable from console gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFaCEcyRE-Q - Gameplay of Mercenaries Unlimited (aka No Mercy). There's 2 interesting things to note here: +16 seconds from a coup de grace (2 kills worth +8 seconds each?), and this is High Seas which is normally a DLC map. Considering they're showing this off without having mentioned pre-order bonuses, maybe this and the other 2 pre-order maps will actually be part of the main game.

The Japanese RE6 PC site updated yesterday. Apparently it mentions that the PC version will come with a small digital artbook, a digital soundtrack and a free DLC season pass. Not sure if this applies to every version, or just a specific Japanese release of the game.

The site also updated with a screenshot of a cutscene from the PC version. I took a screenshot of the same cutscene at the same frame from the 360 version so a comparison can be made.

PC version: http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio6/pc/img/shimg3_l.jpg
Xbox 360 version: http://www.abload.de/img/ptbi2013-02-0720-47-3nhk3e.jpg

2 important things to note here. PC version may look cropped, but that's because of the different aspect ratio. Game is made for 16:9 while the PC screenshot was taken at a 16:10 resolution. I guess the engine will crop when showing taller aspect ratios. This shouldn't be a problem when using a 16:9 aspect ratio as intended.

The other thing to note is that the 360 version looks "washed out" on the screenshot I posted. I think that's because I took the screenshot using component cables instead of HDMI, so I couldn't take a screenshot with the full RGB scale.

This isn't the best frame for comparing assets, but it does look like it's identical texture and model-wise. The only difference I can see (besides the obvious difference with rendering resolution) is that there's some extra lighting on Chris' left arm. I don't know if that's random, or if the PC does some additional lighting.

Gyrian

Niiicely done, maomao!
It's a shame there's no cross-platform play, with just a handful of us here still going strong at Mercs. ;_;

The site also updated with a screenshot of a cutscene from the PC version. I took a screenshot of the same cutscene at the same frame from the 360 version so a comparison can be made.

PC version: http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio6/pc/img/shimg3_l.jpg
Xbox 360 version: http://www.abload.de/img/ptbi2013-02-0720-47-3nhk3e.jpg

Wow, nice breakdown all around, Sectus.

I too was hoping that Capcom might've generated higher quality assets when creating the game that we could've gotten on PC, but what we already got will have to do. I've no problem with characters (there's actually some rather nice subtle detail in that screen, like Leon's sweat or the clothing detail textures), but some environment textures will feel rather sad there (if only Maldo of Crysis 2 fame could be persuaded to work on this).

Still, the bump to 120hz and higher resolutions will still feel pretty special (as well as No Mercy!).

maomaoIYP

Niiicely done, maomao!
It's a shame there's no cross-platform play, with just a handful of us here still going strong at Mercs. ;_;

Indeed...don't think it's ever going to happen.
In other news, new online events are up, including a Predator mode event, High Seas dominator, and an EX3 unlock event via Deborah kills.

Everyone who still needs points should take part in the next event starting in 2 days, as long as you're 101st-1000th you'll get 30K points, which is a lot!

Gyrian

Still surprised to see things I'd never seen before, as much as I've played.
I didn't know it was possible to use the metal pipe embedded in a zombie to impale a second zombie against a wall!

Sectus

Still surprised to see things I'd never seen before, as much as I've played.
I didn't know it was possible to use the metal pipe embedded in a zombie to impale a second zombie against a wall!

Eep, I didn't know that! I knew the metal pipe could be thrown at another zombie, but I didn't know they could be pinned against a wall.

This is something Capcom games are usually good at. I can remember seeing new things in DMC4, RE5 and Dragon's Dogma even after playing the game for months.

TheSeks

Jake Chapter 2 wasn't that bad, guys. Maybe it was just the partner I had that could've went complete stealth if Captrolls didn't troll me with that emblem (which I stupidly shot thinking "well surely we're past the stealth section completely. NOPE)

Though the camera angles fuck up what could've been a decent Snowmobile sequence, along with the fuck stupid controls (R1 GAS, L1 Brake).

Gyrian

Napads have suddenly become very fun to fight once I've learned that a running kick breaks their shell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ie4kKBaks

And speaking of things not seen before! That is awesome, Sectus!

I wonder how many more unusual ways of handling enemies might still remain, with this kind of "you want me to do what?" tactics.
Not nearly as flashy as your flow above, but it blew my mind that it's possible to get some mutated J'avos from full health into coup-de-grace ready in a single melee hit. Completely changed my attack plan in regular J'avo stages.

maomaoIYP

Not nearly as flashy as your flow above, but it blew my mind that it's possible to get some mutated J'avos from full health into coup-de-grace ready in a single melee hit. Completely changed my attack plan in regular J'avo stages.
Shield dudes and crab claw head dudes? These are the only two I know.
The caterpillar arm, blade arm and the smoke bomb Javo gives a CDG with a single headshot.
To prevent the human javos which can mutate from mutating you can use the quickshot stun to lead into a CDG.
The fastest CDG you can get is using Jake, quickshot with pistol followed by unarmed punch.
Sherry's cattle prod kills crab claw dudes if they're lying on the ground. Also a full charge gives a heavy stun for CDG on most Javo (didn't test with the with armored leg Javos though).
I can't think of any more right now.
I didn't know a running melee smashes a Napad's shell, in fact I very rarely use the running melee except on the shrieker.

Sectus

Nice! You double dipped and bought the PS3 version as well?

edit: That's a really good score considering the hidden boss wasn't even the last kill! Well done!

I have a friend I play mercs with who only has the PS3 version, so that's why I got that as well. I mostly play on xbox though. I'll probably switch over to PC as main version once that's released. I want my 60fps.

Gyrian

I have a friend I play mercs with who only has the PS3 version, so that's why I got that as well. I mostly play on xbox though. I'll probably switch over to PC as main version once that's released. I want my 60fps.

Make that 120fps @ 120hz, it's simply glorious. :D
I've high hopes for that, RE5 is absolutely stunning running at these specs.

Nice run in Creature Workshop, btw. This is my next target for 150; I'm already at a place where I know I can do it, but I've had a poor streak with combos ending with freak accidents over and over yesterday. The more I've played it, I quite like this map, and what I've learned in handling Neo Umbrella J'avo should come in handy for Liquid Fire.

Second EX3 reward ticket comes out tomorrow!

Have 3 trophies left before I platinum this game. Working through the Emblems. Chapter select is a godsend.

Evolved1

Man... I really don't like how they handled weapons/equipment for the campaigns... just really poorly designed, and feels like regression.

I made the damn mistake of picking up the shotgun with Helena... now I'm stuck with redundancy taking up a weapons place, since she already has the Hydra.

Can't drop anything. Can't equip specifics per mission.

Then there's the dumb item management in mercs I complained about a few days back... just really stupidly designed imo.

Got my Ada EX3, next up is Sherry and then I don't know. Chris I guess.

I wish you could buy tickets. I'm not gonna be using my re.net points anymore unless they add more in-game content. I already have unlocked all the EX2 and I have 113500 points.

TheSeks

Man... I really don't like how they handled weapons/equipment for the campaigns... just really poorly designed, and feels like regression.

I made the damn mistake of picking up the shotgun with Helena... now I'm stuck with redundancy taking up a weapons place, since she already has the Hydra.

Then there's the dumb item management in mercs I complained about a few days back... just really stupidly designed imo.

Wait, you can't dump items? WTF, Capcom?

Sectus

I found a way to force splitscreen and turn human players into AI controlled players, so I recorded a bunch of scenes from the AI's perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QLrl-gLwEU

Thanks to the dodge and counter systems, the AI is extremely good at avoiding damage. But the AI is held back with how defensive it is (spends half of the time aiming without firing) and the fact there's a damage scaler reducing the damage it's supposed to do (this became obvious once I saw the AI coup de grace enemies in mercenaries without actually killing them).

I'm curious how good the AI would be if it didn't have those limitations, but they are obviously put in place there because they made the AI invincible.

In case you don't know, the hydra doesn't use the same type of ammo as other shotguns. Their usage is a bit different as well. The shotgun behaves more like a typical shotgun, while the hydra is supposed to be used primarily with the quick shot to utilize the auto evade properties you get with it.

Whoa!

image.php

image.php

Evolved1

In case you don't know, the hydra doesn't use the same type of ammo as other shotguns. Their usage is a bit different as well. The shotgun behaves more like a typical shotgun, while the hydra is supposed to be used primarily with the quick shot to utilize the auto evade properties you get with it.

haha... I had no idea about this.

but i still think we should be able to control our loadouts.

Nori Chan

Just unlocked all of the ex 2 costumes. Also go tthe sherry ex3 costume today.

Wonder what else I'll be able use the re points for. I guess I'll start saving for revelations lol

Top Bottom