• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

ok quick question. I haven't paid attention to this game at all, is it looking great, average or like crap? Is it worth getting this week? If so cheapo $59 version on 360 or the more expensive one?

haikira

Gaaahhh, screw it I think I'm gonna go to the midnight launch tomorrow night. Can't wait.

I'm going with a midnight run for the game too. I just know i'm going to be wrecked for a class i have on Tuesday. At least it's an evening class.

Have to say. Few more runs through the demo, I'm really feeling it now. I'm still not crazy about Chris's campaign, but i'm warming up to it. I'm definitely getting a better feel for the overall mechanics and i love the dodge and roll system.

played through the demo two more times today. the camera is fucked but i got used to it. i'll probably play this. how long are the campaigns supposed to be?

haikira

played through the demo two more times today. the camera is fucked but i got used to it.

Yeah. I think this is my last complaint with the game. I don't even find it such a big deal, other than the fact it makes me feel a little sick. The same feeling i get when playing a game on the PC with a crazy low FOV.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So uh, when are embargos up for this game?

Depends on your time zone, but about 15-16 hours from now.

played through the demo two more times today. the camera is fucked but i got used to it. i'll probably play this. how long are the campaigns supposed to be?

6-8 hours each (though Ada's a bit shorter). Most people complete the game their first time between 24-30 hours, and with a lot of replayability.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So after playing a bit of all the campaigns,
Leon > Old School RE in modern RE clothing
Chris > RE5 on steroids
Jake > RE4
Yeah some may not agree, but thats what I'm getting so far

Grisby

Anyone install the game on the 360? I wonder if Capcom filled up both disc's. Also, I take it the campaign is split between both discs?

I've just got a quick question: I found that even on high brightness settings, the game is very dark and I found it near impossible to see most things on screen in the demo. Does this happen to some people in the full game?

Gbraga

Extremely useful if you accidentally try to dodge before the aim button is fully pressed (prolly happens more on 360) and the character ducks instead. You can also press A/X a second time to cancel out of the duck into a dodge.

Probably already noted but another useful tactic is rolling forward, then pulling back on the left stick to spin 180 degrees upon hitting the ground.

Can't fucking wait for Tuesday.

I didn't know that, if I wanted to do something similar I'd slide and then use the quick turn during the slide, but the roll is more effective for that purpose. Thanks!

Drewfonse

Several people have mentioned high replay value. For those people, what is your motivation to dive back in? Branching paths through levels? Anything else?

Sectus

I managed to find all emblems in Leon's campaign in my playthrough except for one. I now spent about an hour finding it and I finally found it (number 3 in chapter 4). It's stupidly well hidden.

Whoever was wondering, you get plenty of figures. I think I got figures for all major characters, all sub bosses and all bosses for the Leon campaign. Only thing missing is normal zombies really.

By the way, there's always 4 emblems per chapter. There's usually one per level but that's not always the case. There's a few levels with 2, and several levels with none.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Leon's campaign is good, but old school RE? No.

I cannot imagine how long work is going to be tomorrow. Technically it will be as long as a normal shift, but mentally it will be the equivalent of 3-4.

haikira

Several people have mentioned high replay value. For those people, what is your motivation to dive back in? Branching paths through levels? Anything else?

Don't have the game. But i'm guessing it's finding all collectibles, experiencing the slight differences from playing as the partner characters and isn't there something similar to NG+ with finishing off all the leveling up stuff?

haikira

When i was running through the demo again today, I played the three sections as the partner characters. I preferred playing as Chris's character, due to the sniper rife. Just wondering, are there exclusive weapons between the pairs of characters, or was that just how it's set up for the demo?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
When i was running through the demo again today, I played the three sections as the partner characters. I preferred playing as Chris's character, due to the sniper rife. Just wondering, are there exclusive weapons between the pairs of characters, or was that just how it's set up for the demo?

The default weapons are exclusive to them. Chris starts with a Handgun, and Piers with the Sniper Rifle, both of which is exclusive to them as Piers can't get a handgun and Chris can't get a Sniper Rifle. For some reason, I believe both run on the same ammo though.

This game. Chris' chapter 3 went from absolutely amazing
snake boss
to unspeakably awful
turret section and car chase
so quickly.

Same deal with Chapter 4. Started out meh, got to one incredible section that payed homage to Revelatons, then ended on a shitty note.

Jackie-chan-meme.png

Despite the highs and lows, I'm finding it hard to put the game down.

Sojgat

You may have answered this bur what are your broad stroke thoughts on Jakes campaign? Haven't really gotten a consensus on it yet.

He's got the worst camera in my opinion, he seems to take up half of the screen most of the time, but it may just be his stance (some sections are zoomed out like with all the campaigns though). Definitely don't play his campaign first if you wan't to follow the story. His intro might also get some people to turn off the game the fastest, it's confusing and has splosions n' suplexes galore, but as somebody else posted it evokes RE4 (at least visually anyway). His campaign features the most daylight sections and is like the middle ground between Leon and Chris, I can see a lot of people enjoying it the most. I found nothing to really dislike as in Leon's campaign, there is a
motorcycle
sequence that goes on for like ten minutes, and almost put me to sleep a couple of times. Due to his melee focus I think he plays best once you have more skills slots unlocked (but really they all do, Capcom doesn't seem to understand that the idea of a perks/upgrades system is to be able to experiment and find ways to game or semi break the mechanics in the players favour, not to just make them enjoyable). Jakes campaign also probably has some of the best cutscenes and acting. I thought Jake was played by Nolan North the entire time, turns out it's Troy Baker.

ok quick question. I haven't paid attention to this game at all, is it looking great, average or like crap? Is it worth getting this week? If so cheapo $59 version on 360 or the more expensive one?

All of the above. Get it now depending on how much you like RE, QTE's, cool combat systems and jank (depending on how sensitive you are it can also be "Motion Sickness the Game"). If you can afford it yeah, get the one with the jacket, but otherwise you could probably wait for the price to go down (it will do this quickly).

Drain You

So after playing a bit of all the campaigns,
Leon > Old School RE in modern RE clothing
Chris > RE5 on steroids
Jake > RE4
Yeah some may not agree, but thats what I'm getting so far

Jake being similar to Re4 sounds very promising and has me excited. (even though I will be playing as Sherry only because I like seeing her in the mix again)

Neiteio

I managed to find all emblems in Leon's campaign in my playthrough except for one. I now spent about an hour finding it and I finally found it (number 3 in chapter 4). It's stupidly well hidden.

Whoever was wondering, you get plenty of figures. I think I got figures for all major characters, all sub bosses and all bosses for the Leon campaign. Only thing missing is normal zombies really.

By the way, there's always 4 emblems per chapter. There's usually one per level but that's not always the case. There's a few levels with 2, and several levels with none.
FINALLY! Someone talking about the figures, my No. 1 most anticipated feature (and I'm not even kidding)!

Are all the boss forms of
Simmons
represented in figure form? What about the different forms of the boss at the end of Chris campaign? And I wonder if the different permutations of the
Ustanak
are represented in figure form? What about the Ogroman (giant white BOW from Chris' portion of the public demo)?

Sectus, if you could make a video showing some of the figures (boss figures too!), I would love you forever. :)

Sectus

@Neiteio: I haven't played through Chris and Jake campaigns yet so I can't comment anything on that.

Regarding end boss for Leon,
all forms are present as figures

Maybe I'll do a video of all the figures but it'll take a while. I've got a TON of footage to upload now since I recorded my entire playthrough of the Leon campaign, which ended up being around 8 hours.

hamchan

My biggest problem with them is just how bloody hard they all are. Most games only require a leisurly tapping of the buttons, but this game demands a Track-and-Field-level of button mashing speed.

Yep. I consider myself very proficient at Mario Party style button mashing but even on Leon's last boss (which has so many of the same QTE, it starts getting ridiculous) I was just barely beating the QTE timer.

News Bot

Banned
@Neiteio: I haven't played through Chris and Jake campaigns yet so I can't comment anything on that.

Maybe I'll do a video of all the figures but it'll take a while. I've got a TON of footage to upload now since I recorded my entire playthrough of the Leon campaign, which ended up being around 8 hours.

Would you be at all able to help with transcribing the files? There's a lot I don't have because the emblems are bastards to find. Basically, whatever ones aren't present here.

Neiteio

Awesome! And yeah, if you can upload a video of the boss and sub-boss figures you have so far, I'd really appreciate it. I know you're busy though. :)

antitrop

I'd like to know this myself.
After playing the demo on both consoles I only found this to be an issue with the PS3 version. Xbox 360 demo looked fine. My video/TV settings are perfectly optimized for both systems and I've never had any issues with any other games like that. The in-game slider for Brightness was also needed a higher numerical value for the PS3 than the Xbox 360 and I still couldn't get it to look right.

Can't say anything about the full version.

Based on my experience, I pre-ordered the Xbox 360 version of the game.

Sectus

Would you be at all able to help with transcribing the files? There's a lot I don't have because the emblems are bastards to find. Basically, whatever ones aren't present here.

I could probably just send you the text files with the files directly from the game itself. But well, I don't wanna go digging to get those before I've actually completed the game.

As for brightness, the in game brightness test is a dirty liar. Look at some demo footage and see how bright the areas are. You're supposed to be able to make out the ground textures somewhat in the Terrace for Leon and be able to tell that there's mist over the pavement in Jakes china stage.

News Bot

Banned
I could probably just send you the text files with the files directly from the game itself. But well, I don't wanna go digging to get those before I've actually completed the game.

That would be absolutely fantastic. Don't have to do it unless it suits you, of course.

There's no way to get the Japanese file text is there? I'd prefer those even over the English files and you wouldn't have to worry about spoilers. :p

Teknoman

After playing the demo on both consoles I only found this to be an issue with the PS3 version. Xbox 360 demo looked fine. My video/TV settings are perfectly optimized for both systems and I've never had any issues with any other games like that. The in-game slider for Brightness was also needed a higher numerical value for the PS3 than the Xbox 360 and I still couldn't get it to look right.

As for brightness, the in game brightness test is a dirty liar. Look at some demo footage and see how bright the areas are. You're supposed to be able to make out the ground textures somewhat in the Terrace for Leon and be able to tell that there's mist over the pavement in Jakes china stage.

Yeah i'm hoping the PS3 retail version is fixed. Usually dont have any brightness issues aside from Dragon's Dogma.

Damn it, that doesn't bode well for me(and I'm even playing it on 360, so I'll try the PS3 demo later). This is really the only game I have brightness issues with, so I just hope it's better in the full game... if not, well... I guess I'll mess with the settings on my TV a bit.

Thanks guys.

def sim

Finished Leon's campaign! Yup, that's an action game. I imagine the other two are going to be the same.

The boss fights are just the worst, by the way. Horrific, bullet sponge monsters are not fun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Soon... (will have to take a break from WoW for this).

Finished Leon's campaign! Yup, that's an action game. I imagine the other two are going to be the same.

The boss fights are just the worst, by the way. Horrific, bullet sponge monsters are not fun.

Not quite. Chris's campaign has even MORE action, believe it or not. There are maybe
---two---
"scary", tense sequences in it. The rest is guns-blazing, high-octane, melt-your-face-off action. The bosses, however, in particular the last one, are very awesome. They really dropped the ball with Leon's ending sequence.

Jake's, on the hand, has some very unique scenarios (I'm only up to Chapter 2, though) with serious moments of tension. It's a good mix of what made the Chris and Leon scenarios work, when they actually did. He also has the best partner dynamic. So, the moment-to-moment banter is great -- oftentimes, hilarious.

Neiteio

I strongly suspect my GOTY will still go to either Sleeping Dogs or Kid Icarus Uprising, and I strongly suspect I will love RE6 as a whole while readily acknowlegdging how someone could find fault with various aspects of it.

But one thing is for certain: Reading the many takes on the game makes RE6 one of the most -interesting- games of the year. And I'm not just talking whether someone loves or hates Mechanic X or Design Decision Y. I mean the different takes on the different campaigns, where everyone seems to have a different favorite, or perceive them in a different way.

Reading everyone's take on Jake's campaign, in particular, is fascinating: It sounds like a true melting pot, Uncharted meets Resident Evil 4 meets all manner of other things. But no two people seem to see it the same way. Simply fascinating.

I guess this is what you get when you have 600 creators work on one game: a game with 600 identities, resonating with different players in different ways. I doubt we'll ever get much of a consensus on the various campaigns of RE6, but in exchange the fans will gets endless discussion material about what was or wasn't accomplished here.

Top Bottom