• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

I tweaked the controls so I don't get motion sick now. I set the camera to follow the player, and it feels RE4-ish now.

One thing I don't like is that when you rotate the camera around to look at an enemy and then press AIM, you don't aim in the direction of the enemy. It's frustrating because you could do that in RE4 and RE5, but not here and it makes fighting lots of enemies feel like a chore. Quick Shoot is ok, but I'd rather snap to an enemy.

Still undecided on what version to pick up. Don't think any friends will be picking it up any time soon either. I picked up RE5 for PS3 originally but I want to check out the multiplayer modes as soon as possible. Was it mentioned how long the modes will remain exclusive to 360?

fernoca

ZO53u.png

Nemesis_

Can someone explain how the FUCK you're meant to do these DUMB FUCKING QTEs that involve climbing and the triggers?

It's BEYOND FRUSTRATING and it's probably my biggest problem with the game. At least Leon IV didn't require you to do it to completion

def sim

I tweaked the controls so I don't get motion sick now. I set the camera to follow the player, and it feels RE4-ish now.

One thing I don't like is that when you rotate the camera around to look at an enemy and then press AIM (LT), you don't aim in the direction of the enemy. It's frustrating because you could do that in RE4 and RE5, but not here and it makes fighting lots of enemies feel like a chore.

It does do that, check your settings.

Ken

Can someone explain how the FUCK you're meant to do these DUMB FUCKING QTEs that involve climbing and the triggers?

It's BEYOND FRUSTRATING and it's probably my biggest problem with the game. At least Leon IV didn't require you to do it to completion

Resident Evil 6 |OT| "DUMB FUCKING QTEs"

Nemesis_

Resident Evil 6 |OT| "DUMB FUCKING QTEs"

I love the game, have dealt with everything thus far.

But I'm at what I presume is the end of Jake V and it's seriously the DUMBEST most POORLY IMPLEMENTED QTE I've ever played in a video game

Unless there's some kind of trick I'm missing?

Lucent

Goofy question, but here goes: what are the best camera and aiming speeds settings in order to avoid motion sickness?

I use camera speed 2 and aim speed 5. The camera turns much more slowly that way. I know someone else set camera to 0 and said it felt more like the slow turning of the older games.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I use camera speed 2 and aim speed 5. The camera turns much more slowly that way. I know someone else set camera to 0 and said it felt more like the slow turning of the older games.

That was the setting i think i found to work best in the demo.

Press and HOLD the L-trigger, then alternate to the R-trigger (and press and HOLD it as well, letting go of L in the process). Basically, you're alternating between the two, pressing and holding ad infinitum.

Neiteio

It's mainly the camera you need to slow the fuck down, though I suspect once the control intricacies are mastered, one may want to ramp it up for tactical advantages.

Is it just me or has today been the longest day? Then tomorrow all hell breaks loose (when the reviews go up)...I may stay away from this particular thread for a loooooooong time.

It's mainly the camera you need to slow the fuck down, though I suspect once the control intricacies are mastered, one may want to ramp it up for tactical advantages.

My best friend and I already ramped the camera speed up to 7 or 8 sensitivity, so that may be true.

Nemesis_

Press and HOLD the L-trigger, then alternate to the R-trigger (and press and HOLD it as well, letting go of L in the process). Basically, you're alternating between the two, pressing and holding ad infinitum.

Ahh okay, HOLDING.

Makes sense I guess, I half-retract my statements from earlier. :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone, did any of you end up getting the PS3 anthology edition? If so, if you didn't use your code for RE3 or Code Veronica shoot me a PM, I would be interested in buying/trading with you.

But I'm at what I presume is the end of Jake V and it's seriously the DUMBEST most POORLY IMPLEMENTED QTE I've ever played in a video game

The QTE at the end of Jake chapter 2 is the worst I've encountered so far. Thought I was going to break the control pad while doing it.

def sim

Not quite. Chris's campaign has even MORE action, believe it or not. There are maybe
---two---
"scary", tense sequences in it. The rest is guns-blazing, high-octane, melt-your-face-off action. The bosses, however, in particular the last one, are very awesome.

I believe it. I can see the differentiation between campaigns to merely be "action" to "extra action" rather than a huge tonal and game play shift as others have suggested.

Nemesis_

The QTE at the end of Jake chapter 2 is the worst I've encountered so far. Thought I was going to break the control pad while doing it.

Remind me? *.*

Is that the one with the Ustanak and the
drill cart thing?

IF SO, THAT WAS NO BIG DEAL AT ALL tbh

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I believe it. I can see the differentiation between campaigns to merely be "action" to "extra action" rather than a huge tonal and game play shift as others have suggested.

There are major tonal differences between the Leon and Chris campaigns, but when push comes to shove, even Leon's campaign is still much closer to L4D than REmake.

Astral

One thing I don't like is that when you rotate the camera around to look at an enemy and then press AIM, you don't aim in the direction of the enemy. It's frustrating because you could do that in RE4 and RE5, but not here and it makes fighting lots of enemies feel like a chore. Quick Shoot is ok, but I'd rather snap to an enemy.

You can do that? You can't in the demo. I'm gonna have to try this out.

Neiteio

As long as none of the QTEs are like the pushing contest in fucking Star Fox Adventures. I needed to enlist my neighbor with his jackhammer thumb for that one.

From what I've seen it is like RE the game is becoming more like the movie. Action, explosions etc etc. Did Michael Bay have a hand in this games direction?

Remind me? *.*

Is that the one with the Ustanak and the
drill cart thing?

IF SO, THAT WAS NO BIG DEAL AT ALL tbh

Yes.

AND PLEASE.

I thought the left stick was going to pop off due to the obscene amount of times it needed to be rotated... again and again and again.

Nemesis_

Yes.

AND PLEASE.

I thought the left stick was going to pop off due to the obscene amount of times it needed to be rotated... again and again and again.

I've had worse
bhuHH.gif

From what I've seen it is like RE the game is becoming more like the movie. Action, explosions etc etc. Did Michael Bay have a hand in this games direction?

Yes, because there was no action or explosions in any of the previous games.

AlexBasch

Sounds like the ice-climbing QTE of MW2. Was annoying until I learnt the hang of it. :p

Teknoman

Are the QTEs really that hard, or are they just really sudden? I know some people just dont like QTEs, but even after the Bayonetta complaints, i've never really had a problem with them...unless the instructions are unclear.

What the? What option makes the camera follow the player?

Replicant

I've had worse
bhuHH.gif

My stick cover came off because of that shitty QTE. Even Heavy Rain doesn't have QTE this bad and annoying.

Also that section of Jake in chapter 2
I completely lost it when I slide down the snowy mountain the N-th time after falling over from being shot
. That plus the zero invisibility was a great design choice, Capcom!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'm happy you figured it out now, and am happy you experienced it with Jake first. Because there's a similar QTE in Leon's final chapter if, you believe it, is essentially the same thing but a lot longer. That QTE I agree is one of the downpoints, but once you know what you're doing (IE holding) it isn't much of an issue.

And to a close on Jake's campaign you come to.

Sounds like the ice-climbing QTE of MW2. Was annoying until I learnt the hang of it. :p

Essentially the same mechanics of the QTE.

you can set aim to follow the camera or the player direction (that they're facing).

Yeah, but I'm confused. If that's what he's talking about, then the camera doesn't follow the player any more than it usually does, so what the hell is he talking about? Also, the quick snap to aim when the camera is pointed somewhere is exactly what the aim to camera option does. Am I misreading this? I interpreted it as you turn left, the camera is always locked to being directly behind you, ie, lock the camera to the player.

EDIT: Yeah he says he locked the camera to follow the player ALA RE4, so what the heck is going on? That kind of option would change everything.

Nemesis_

I'm happy you figured it out now, and am happy you experienced it with Jake first. Because there's a similar QTE in Leon's final chapter if, you believe it, is essentially the same thing but a lot longer. That QTE I agree is one of the downpoints, but once you know what you're doing (IE holding) it isn't much of an issue.

And to a close on Jake's campaign you come to.

Essentially the same mechanics of the QTE.

Yeah. Jake's campaign was okay, the ending wasn't some kind of BROAD SWEEPING REVELATION that I was kind of expecting (like a bit more elaboration on his relationship, if any, with his father) but besides that it was okay.

The end piece of that campaign was pretty cool though - I wasn't expecting THAT to be Jake's final boss at all. I also felt like the end scene was very reminiscent of RE2's final confrontation too, albeit in a much stressed and forced manner.

Are the QTEs really that hard, or are they just really sudden? I know some people just dont like QTEs, but even after the Bayonetta complaints, i've never really had a problem with them...unless the instructions are unclear.

Not too bad, I haven't had a moment like the first QTE in RE5 during a cutscene where it just came out of nowhere.

Sojgat

I imagine the design thought process for the QTE's went like this:

INT.CAPCOM DEVELOPMENT OFFICES-LATE MORNING

DEV 1: "Hey I know, lets make it so every enemy can grapple with you."

DEV 2: "Yeah, and every time they do it triggers a QTE."

DEV 1: "Good idea, but we should make multiple types so the player never knows what to expect."

DEV 1: "If they aren't challenging, people won't be engaged, we should make them hard."

DEV 2: "yeah, so they really have to mash the buttons, it will reflect the struggle happening on-screen."

Another developer enters the room.

DEV 3: "Hey guys, we tweaked the camera so that it's really close to the characters."

DEV 2: "Mmhmmm, great this will capture the classic Biohazard feel, and help create tension by obscuring what's coming up behind you."

DEV 1: "this will look fantastic with the cinematic shaky cam effects."

DEV 2: Guys, we should implement quick time events for all the contextual action moments."

DEV 3: "People are going to love this game."

The three men smile and nod in agreement, then return to the foot high mountains of cocaine on their desks.

Nemesis_

I gotta say that I am surprised at how little the areas overlap in the three main campaigns. I was a tad worried about this aspect pre-release but it's nice to see so much variety (both in enemies and locations)

Cool strawman bro

What a fantastic and insightful post

Top Bottom